adam

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, killakrzydav said:

I wish the Bears would pursue Barkley one of our big free agents. Maybe even Pollard. There’s at least three or four free agent rubbing backs that I’d rather have then Montgomery .

Probably won't because they resign Monty and it's a deep RB class. I think it's the 4 th or 5th round.

57 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Probably won't because they resign Monty and it's a deep RB class. I think it's the 4 th or 5th round.

I hope they've come to realize that Monty isn't going to get us anywhere.  The only thing he is above average at is breaking tackles.  Everything else is blah.  Opposing defenses have zero prep against him.

41 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I hope they've come to realize that Monty isn't going to get us anywhere.  The only thing he is above average at is breaking tackles.  Everything else is blah.  Opposing defenses have zero prep against him.

The fact he isn't signed indicates they want to look around a bit before deciding    The running aspect is the easiest part to replace my main concern is pass pro      Herbert is really bad there and there aren't many rookies you can trust with that      

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

He's not a home run hitter but Poles loves him for his intangibles.  Like Roquan, at his price. I think it's 3-19.5 mil. I just don't think he's spending big money on a RB in FA. I think there is 3 sizeable contracts which will be in the trenches.

Well the Chiefs seem to have decided not to tag Orlando Brown.

https://www.nfl.com/news/chiefs-not-expected-to-place-second-franchise-tag-on-ot-orlando-brown

He is exactly the kind of player we should be spending our cap on. He's a top player at an impact position, and he is 26 years old. He should be a building block for us for many years to come, Justin's personal bodyguard.

It doesn't matter that Jones played well. He's not as good as Brown. If he was, we'd be happy to pay him what a good OLT makes. And then he would just be what Brown already is.

Maybe Jones finds a place at RT, maybe not. It doesn't matter. Loyalty is a fools game at this point in our franchise's development. You show loyalty with big contracts. The rest is some flowery stuff better kept for interpersonal relationships. This is a professional situation, and it's NFL football.

I still truly believe that every player on this team, including Fields, is just another option to be compared to whats available in free agency and the draft. The good news is that Justin earns his spot under that microscope. Not because of loyalty or friendliness, but by pure greed. Justin is the best option.

And so is Brown.

Don't be surprised if there is only one face from last year starting on our OL this year. Or even none.

We are an expansion team, and we already have Fields, and few young players in the secondary. The rest is up for grabs. Which is excellent news.

Getting Brown would be a perfect sign. The question is can B Jones play RT? I don't see Poles giving up on his best get in his first year. If he has a LT at a 5 th round price, that's so good for the cap going forward. The only way Brown comes is if Jones can play RT. 

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Getting Brown would be a perfect sign. The question is can B Jones play RT? I don't see Poles giving up on his best get in his first year. If he has a LT at a 5 th round price, that's so good for the cap going forward. The only way Brown comes is if Jones can play RT. 

no way. if you think Brown is great, you sign him. if it means a decent rookie gets displaced, then thats what you do. You dont hesitate on signing Brown if you believe in him because youre not sure Jones can play RT.

The name of this game is not maximizing the hold over value from last years 3 win team. It's building a new team. There is no reason to worry about sunk costs, especially with this roster.

That's what ive been trying to say about everyone being an effective free agent in Poles' eyes. He doesnt need to keep ANYONE, he just needs to build a winner.

3 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

no way. if you think Brown is great, you sign him. if it means a decent rookie gets displaced, then thats what you do. You dont hesitate on signing Brown if you believe in him because youre not sure Jones can play RT.

The name of this game is not maximizing the hold over value from last years 3 win team. It's building a new team. There is no reason to worry about sunk costs, especially with this roster.

That's what ive been trying to say about everyone being an effective free agent in Poles' eyes. He doesnt need to keep ANYONE, he just needs to build a winner.

Plus he can play RT or LT. Last I looked we needed at least one.  If jones is fine at LT - than we upgraded in RT (or vice versa). we know Brown is a legit top end starter, even if he had a down year a year ago.  

Yes the more Ive been looking into him tonight, the more I'm hearing he didn't have the greatest year. i dunno what to do with that. Either it was a down year and a change of scenery turns him back into a monster, or hes declining. I would personally have no idea which.

So Im going to amend everything I said above with "Assuming the scouts think he will return to form" because if they dont then the whole thing is moot.

But the main point Im making is it isnt time to try to squeeze all the value out of Jones you can for money or cap reasons. Right now, we have to sign the best players we think we can grow with. For example, we could sign Brown, and a second tier OT at a decent price if we thought they were better than Jones.

Of all years in Bears history, this year is the least offseason to try to maximize what you already have, instead, more than ever, we are wide open and its time to be bold, and visionary, and build a team pretty much from the ground up. If Jones finds a spot on the team as one of the best five options, then great, he earned it, and he will be a welcome addition. But I dont think you have to think about getting the most out of a 2022 5th round pick at this point. I think you need to look for the best options you have, even if they are only 10% better than Jones. If they are better at a price that fits your expected cap distribution for that position, then you sign em. We are building a core here.

In other words, the only argument for keeping Jones I want to hear is that you think he will dominate as a player. All the other concerns about a rookie deal and the cap and whatever are not strong enough to overrule pure production. Tell me you think he's gonna be a beat next year, not that he's cheap or already signed? If he's going to kick ass, and is the best option out there regardless of price, then if Im Poles, Im listening.

I don't think Brown is a great player.  The fact is his first team already gave up on him when he was at RT which almost nobody does without a reason.  He came to KC and played well at LT but he also has a magician behind him.  We have a magician too but I don't want him to have to pull rabbits out of his hat that often again.   

Brown wants top dollar.  KC is basically saying if we lose him we can replace him with a top draft pick.   They also are banking on the fact no other team will pay him top dollar so they can match.  That has risk as seen last year with the FA WRs.   

I think Brown's best fit remains RT and even then I'm not sure he's an ideal fit for what we do on offense.  OTOH McGlinchey has some pass pro issues too but we know exactly what he'll do in the run game for us which is really good.   And he'll be asking for less than Brown.   

If Poles signs him I'll trust the decision but I doubt he's benching a top 15 LT after just one season when there are so many other glaring holes to fix.   

4 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

That's what ive been trying to say about everyone being an effective free agent in Poles' eyes. He doesnt need to keep ANYONE, he just needs to build a winn

I telling you what I think Poles does, not what I think may be the best move. For what he pays Brown, he could sign Evan Pocic and Kaleb McGary. If he wants to move on from Whitehair, post June cut can bag 9.9 mil. That easily gets you Ben Powers or Dalton Risner. 

3 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I telling you what I think Poles does, not what I think may be the best move. For what he pays Brown, he could sign Evan Pocic and Kaleb McGary. If he wants to move on from Whitehair, post June cut can bag 9.9 mil. That easily gets you Ben Powers or Dalton Risner. 

right, but Jones is getting paid so little if you think someone is better, you can afford them.

5 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

I don't think Brown is a great player. 

Brown wants top dollar.  KC is basically saying if we lose him we can replace him with a top draft pick.

If Poles signs him I'll trust the decision but I doubt he's benching a top 15 LT after just one season when there are so many other glaring holes to fix.   

If brown isnt a great player, that certainly makes the decision. If KC needs a top draft pick to replace him, he cant be that bad tho.

I think we are looking at a total overhaul of the OL.

28 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

right, but Jones is getting paid so little if you think someone is better, you can afford them.

If brown isnt a great player, that certainly makes the decision. If KC needs a top draft pick to replace him, he cant be that bad tho.

I think we are looking at a total overhaul of the OL.

You almost always need a top draft pick to find a starting LT.  When you sit at the end of the first round you absolutely can't wait for your guy to be there at the end of the 2nd Rd.  

6 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

You almost always need a top draft pick to find a starting LT.  When you sit at the end of the first round you absolutely can't wait for your guy to be there at the end of the 2nd Rd.  

I just want Poles to build the best team he can with no feeling like he needs to maximize anything we already had ont he roster. If his people and he agree that Jones is a top 5 OT int he making, then great! I just want him not to be stuck to anyone, and build this from the ground up purely on the future with no care as to who was already here or not. I think that rare clean slate is what we bought with the season we just had - dumping Mack, Quinn & Smith etc.

7 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I don't think Brown is a great player.  The fact is his first team already gave up on him when he was at RT which almost nobody does without a reason.  He came to KC and played well at LT but he also has a magician behind him.  We have a magician too but I don't want him to have to pull rabbits out of his hat that often again.   

Brown wants top dollar. 

A little course correction here.  Brown was a RT for the Ravens and Ronnie Stanley got hurt.  Brown moved over and played very well.  At that point, he said "I'm a left tackle".  The Ravens wanted to keep him, but had no choice but to move him.  He is a very good RT, maybe the best in the league.

If he would agree to play RT for us, I would make him the highest paid one.  Problem is, his pride is telling him that he deserves top dollar at left tackle.

Regardless of Brown, I want Braxton Jones as our LT, as I think he is special.  To play the way he did, coming from a lesser program, admirable.  Nothing but upside this off season.  I think we need to concentrate on RT and a stud center.

11 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

A little course correction here.  Brown was a RT for the Ravens and Ronnie Stanley got hurt.  Brown moved over and played very well.  At that point, he said "I'm a left tackle".  The Ravens wanted to keep him, but had no choice but to move him.  He is a very good RT, maybe the best in the league.

If he would agree to play RT for us, I would make him the highest paid one.  Problem is, his pride is telling him that he deserves top dollar at left tackle.

Regardless of Brown, I want Braxton Jones as our LT, as I think he is special.  To play the way he did, coming from a lesser program, admirable.  Nothing but upside this off season.  I think we need to concentrate on RT and a stud center.

Center has been a black hole for the Bears for the last few years with Mustipher getting most of the starts. He is ok for a backup or spot starter, but not your primary center. That has killed the Bears more than any other position on the OLine. 

I like Jones and there is no reason not to think he will improve. He knows the areas he needs to work on and I don't think the Bears will target a LT in FA or the draft. They will concentrate on C and RT like you said Mongo.

18 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

Yes the more Ive been looking into him tonight, the more I'm hearing he didn't have the greatest year. i dunno what to do with that. Either it was a down year and a change of scenery turns him back into a monster, or hes declining. I would personally have no idea which.

So Im going to amend everything I said above with "Assuming the scouts think he will return to form" because if they dont then the whole thing is moot.

But the main point Im making is it isnt time to try to squeeze all the value out of Jones you can for money or cap reasons. Right now, we have to sign the best players we think we can grow with. For example, we could sign Brown, and a second tier OT at a decent price if we thought they were better than Jones.

Of all years in Bears history, this year is the least offseason to try to maximize what you already have, instead, more than ever, we are wide open and its time to be bold, and visionary, and build a team pretty much from the ground up. If Jones finds a spot on the team as one of the best five options, then great, he earned it, and he will be a welcome addition. But I dont think you have to think about getting the most out of a 2022 5th round pick at this point. I think you need to look for the best options you have, even if they are only 10% better than Jones. If they are better at a price that fits your expected cap distribution for that position, then you sign em. We are building a core here.

In other words, the only argument for keeping Jones I want to hear is that you think he will dominate as a player. All the other concerns about a rookie deal and the cap and whatever are not strong enough to overrule pure production. Tell me you think he's gonna be a beat next year, not that he's cheap or already signed? If he's going to kick ass, and is the best option out there regardless of price, then if Im Poles, Im listening.

The Jags also have a really solid young tackle (think he is 25) who is likely to hit free agency (unless they agree to something in next handfull of days).  We clearly have a need at RT - so maybe they go that way vs. Brown. Although, if Brown was willing to play - he was clearly a top 5 RT (and than you still have Jones - who you can watch another year and see if he takes that next step - if he doesn't, hopefully you have a few picks next year high enough where you can potentially tackle that position). 

Yeah i dont have enough info to make the call myself. I just want young excellent players we can build around, and given how wide open we are right now, i want them to look at every player available and not to give too much value to any player just because they are already on the roster vs available in the draft or free agency.

We are basically an expansion team, we are not filling holes in a preexisting roster, we are starting from scratch basically. And that is a very good position to be in indeed.

As Ive said before, the best possible situation is to have studs on long term deals. The worst situation is to have duds on long terms deals. The second best situation is to have no one on long terms deals, and lots of cap money and draft capital. And that's what we bought with last season.