Week 17 Official Game Thread CHI at DET, SUN 1/1, 12PM, FOX, DET -6.5, O/U 50

adam

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fields is 4-12 with 47 yards passing against one of the worst passing defenses in the league. This may be the worst game they have played all season.

If this is how they are going to play, you almost have to play Peterman next week. 

8 minutes ago, adam said:

Fields is 4-12 with 47 yards passing against one of the worst passing defenses in the league. This may be the worst game they have played all season.

If this is how they are going to play, you almost have to play Peterman next week. 

Just saw a clip where Getsy was talking to him and Justin wouldn't look at him.  Don't like it...

31 minutes ago, adam said:

My thought is, and I could be wrong, but if Fields is playing when you are down 31-10 in the 2nd half in a meaningless game in January when he is getting beat up, that you may not actually trust him as the franchise QB going forward. Just a thought. Seems odd. He has nothing to gain from this experience at this point.

I think most of this is Fields wanting to play…if I had to guess.

There’s no question he’s the starting (franchise) Qb going forward. He has a patchwork o-line in front of him and can’t spend a lot of time looking for open receivers because of.  And for what it’s worth most of his WRs aren’t anything to write home about.

On the opposite side you have a defense that is patchworked together itself with a handful of rookies.  There is little doubt they need a lot of help especially on the front 7.  

Just now, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I think most of this is Fields wanting to play…if I had to guess.

There’s no question he’s the starting (franchise) Qb going forward. He has a patchwork o-line in front of him and can’t spend a lot of time looking for open receivers because of.  And for what it’s worth most of his WRs aren’t anything to write home about.

On the opposite side you have a defense that is patchworked together itself with a handful of rookies.  There is little doubt they need a lot of help especially on the front 7.  

Sometimes you have to protect a player from themselves. 

Our lines are so bad. Their D-Line gets tackles on our RBs, and their RBs get to our LBs untouched. Huge difference in the trenches, we need at least 3 new on offense and 4 on defense.

OMG this defense is soooo bad. The Bears are going to need 7 new starters, the entire line needs to go, 2 new LBs, and another CB. 

Down 41-10, at least the defense forced a FG even though they knew DET was running on every play.

OK, we are terrible. We have no OL, no WR and no Defense. This is what half a salary cap looks like on the field. And for several weeks I've been rooting to lose. I want to look good doing it (boy we sure didnt today) but I wanted to lose. Thats how bad we are. I was thinking about draft order by week 7. That's earlier than the 85 Bears put out the Super Bowl Shuffle.

Here's what I'm trying to say. I don't EVER want to be here again. I don't EVER want this team to look this impotent. I am willing to take this crappy season as the price of entry. We've all said it. If we had somehow kept Nagy and Pace and they made the identical moves, we'd be SCREAMING. I mean, we already were for two years before, but I digress LOL

The point is we are giving Poles and Flus this year to do this. And we are being extremely patient.

But it must be said that today was ATROCIOUS. It hurt to watch. It hurts inside to see it. We will win games and we will lose games int he future, but we should NEVER EVER look like this again.

That's what we are supposed to be buying with the price of this season. We paid the price, we'd better see what we bought.

So you all know, Ive been a "lose and get the pick" guy. But I also need to express how shitty this looked today. How embarrassing, how unacceptable.

The Chicago Bears without a defense is a perversion. Damn I hope they get this right, because I want payback next year and continuing for at least a decade after the last 25 years we have all been through.

There have been losses when the team was competitive but lost. This was different. The entire team looks checked out. 

On offense, it honestly looked like the receivers were just nonchalantly running their routes. On the INT in the first half, watch Kmet, it looks like he was just jogging and not expecting the ball. Claypool had 1 target and dropped it. Harry had 1 target and 1 reception. How are you supposed to assess these guys if they aren't getting opportunities?

This was ugly. 

If they are going to play Fields next week, they need a better game plan, because this ain't it.

As always, for the past 30 years or so, this franchise ignores the OL. They think a bunch of Sam Mustiphers are good enough as long as a few talent positions are good. Wrong. Wrong as it has been for decades. And this year there is the added bonus of no DL either.

Trade down from the #1/#2. 

Trade down again. The one player are #5 or #10 isn’t enough.

Stockpile picks. A bunch of 2nd and 3rd rounders would be great after a late 1st rounder.

Draft OL, DL, and WR over and over again.

50 minutes ago, adam said:

There have been losses when the team was competitive but lost. This was different. The entire team looks checked out. 

On offense, it honestly looked like the receivers were just nonchalantly running their routes. On the INT in the first half, watch Kmet, it looks like he was just jogging and not expecting the ball. Claypool had 1 target and dropped it. Harry had 1 target and 1 reception. How are you supposed to assess these guys if they aren't getting opportunities?

This was ugly. 

If they are going to play Fields next week, they need a better game plan, because this ain't it.

Fields needs to develop.  They need to force Fields to throw 6 to 8 times to Claypool. 

2 minutes ago, jason said:

As always, for the past 30 years or so, this franchise ignores the OL. They think a bunch of Sam Mustiphers are good enough as long as a few talent positions are good. Wrong. Wrong as it has been for decades. And this year there is the added bonus of no DL either.

Stockpile picks. A bunch of 2nd and 3rd rounders would be great after a late 1st rounder.

I agree.   Make sure you get a future 1st in at least one trade down. This team needs so much that Fields will be wasted by the time they are competitve.

17 minutes ago, jason said:

I am sure that Poles thinks differently about OL than his predecessors. And I think even the dumbest GM would know that we have to overhaul THIS OL. It looks terrible.

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

He's going to shorten his career if he doesn't get the ball outta his hands.  Aside from running he is playing terrible.

This was an absolute shit performance. Shows you how far he has to still come. I don’t want to here any excuse about oline or wideouts or anything else - he needs to get the ball out on time more and actually play within the offense. 

He will not succeed just running around, no matter how elite he is as an athlete. He just won’t survive and the bears won’t be good enough. This is two straight weeks of poor(er) play out of him. 

Today was some of the worse qb play I have ever seen. And the browns game is still bottom 3 ever.  They need to force him to get rid of the ball fast and actually throw guys open. 

3 hours ago, adam said:

My thought is, and I could be wrong, but if Fields is playing when you are down 31-10 in the 2nd half in a meaningless game in January when he is getting beat up, that you may not actually trust him as the franchise QB going forward. Just a thought. Seems odd. He has nothing to gain from this experience at this point.

At this point - I am doing extensive scouting on the top qbs. Hire Sean Payton and let him figure this out. Semi serious. Haha. 

2 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

OK, we are terrible. We have no OL, no WR and no Defense. This is what half a salary cap looks like on the field. And for several weeks I've been rooting to lose. I want to look good doing it (boy we sure didnt today) but I wanted to lose. Thats how bad we are. I was thinking about draft order by week 7. That's earlier than the 85 Bears put out the Super Bowl Shuffle.

Here's what I'm trying to say. I don't EVER want to be here again. I don't EVER want this team to look this impotent. I am willing to take this crappy season as the price of entry. We've all said it. If we had somehow kept Nagy and Pace and they made the identical moves, we'd be SCREAMING. I mean, we already were for two years before, but I digress LOL

The point is we are giving Poles and Flus this year to do this. And we are being extremely patient.

But it must be said that today was ATROCIOUS. It hurt to watch. It hurts inside to see it. We will win games and we will lose games int he future, but we should NEVER EVER look like this again.

That's what we are supposed to be buying with the price of this season. We paid the price, we'd better see what we bought.

So you all know, Ive been a "lose and get the pick" guy. But I also need to express how shitty this looked today. How embarrassing, how unacceptable.

The Chicago Bears without a defense is a perversion. Damn I hope they get this right, because I want payback next year and continuing for at least a decade after the last 25 years we have all been through.

This was one of the worse performances I have ever seen the Bears play. Pathetic. 

1 hour ago, jason said:

Every mock draft I've attempted has involved at least two trade downs for extra picks.  We literally need 7 new bodies to upgrade both fronts.

4 hours ago, adam said:

Kmet catches a pass and then uses it to break his fall? Lol, he needs to tuck that and land on his side. 

The defender had his hand inside between Kmet's arms?  If he tucks the ball the defender knocks it out.  Nothing about it was an easy play.

1 hour ago, jason said:

That's what he will do. He was handcuffed in his first season of roster construction and he sees what we see. He will be taking BPA what ever spot we land at. A loss like this is telling him he needs more bodies, he will trade down.

That was just a bad game overall.  Not much to say other than this is the end of a very tough year with a lot of 2nd, 3rd, and even 4th string players on the field.   

Among the various takeaways is that Morrow isn't a starting LB in this league.  He's way too late on his reads.  He might run a 4.5 forty as compared to Sanborn but when you watch them play you'd swear Sanborn ran the faster time.   

I don't want Adam to take this wrong because he is the biggest contributor on this site but he seems to be the site Dandy downer. I will have to look back, I don't remember him being like that before. I get we have to have a reality check that we are bad, but there is some positives going forward, its just hard to see after getting a beat down. I guess I'm lucky I'm 12 hours ahead and would have to go to a bar at 1 in the morning to watch and choose not to. I choose right.

3 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

That was just a bad game overall.  Not much to say other than this is the end of a very tough year with a lot of 2nd, 3rd, and even 4th string players on the field.   

Among the various takeaways is that Morrow isn't a starting LB in this league.  He's way too late on his reads.  He might run a 4.5 forty as compared to Sanborn but when you watch them play you'd swear Sanborn ran the faster time.   

Morrow can be replaced by an upgrade but not sure if we invest capital this year in the LBer group seeing our other needs and the emergence of Sanborn .