Kevin Warren - new team President

Connorbear

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

This is a great hire.  He's made the Big Ten an absolute fortune.  He was also an integral part of getting the Vikings stadium built.

That second part is a big factor in this because those stadium deals are very complex with a lot of stakeholders to manage.    Just looking at his age his retirement would follow shortly after the stadium is done.  

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

You want to know what the stadium looks like, go to Minnesota. It holds 66667 normally and can be expanded to 73000 for a Superbowl event.

It is considered a great stadium.  I'm thinking, the Bears need one about 80-90k given the huge market they dominate.  Go big or go home!

29 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

It is considered a great stadium.  I'm thinking, the Bears need one about 80-90k given the huge market they dominate.  Go big or go home!

The two newest stadiums are Rams ( 70,000) and Raiders ( 65,000) , I'm kind of surprised by that but 17 are under 70,000 capacity. I think 72-76 would be ideal. 

I wasn't impressed with him based on the press conference.  I didn't see much except for a bunch of platitudes when it came to football.  IMO he's a schmoozer but we need a good schmoozer to put together the right people for a great stadium.  He needs to go out and get that done, give Poles the money he needs to sign FAs, give the fans a great stadium experience, but stay out of the football operations.  

This is a huge move for the organization. Warren actually has a clue and if he can generate additional revenue, the Bears will have more cash flow for bigger deals. One of hidden things about salaries is the signing bonuses and available cash flow to pay them out immediately. Some teams with low revenue just don't have the cash for things like that.

This adds an entire new layer to football operations that never existed before. 

12 hours ago, adam said:

This is a huge move for the organization. Warren actually has a clue and if he can generate additional revenue, the Bears will have more cash flow for bigger deals. One of hidden things about salaries is the signing bonuses and available cash flow to pay them out immediately. Some teams with low revenue just don't have the cash for things like that.

This adds an entire new layer to football operations that never existed before. 

In that sense I think he's a great fit.  I just don't think he should be around the football side much.  He actually didn't say anything other than what Poles has said about building the team for long term success.  Either those comments were pure coincidence and that is what Warren would have said on his own, or he's just echoing what Poles is doing and saying.  Since Warren's  background is all on the executive side I hope he doesn't have to hire a new GM/HC soon.  There's nothing in his Big Ten bio about success on the football field, just success building the business side.  Which is fine, we really need that and I think Poles will know what to do with more revenue.    

https://bigten.org/staff.aspx?staff=76

"During his 21 seasons in the NFL, and 15 with the Vikings, Mr. Warren directed the team’s focus on creating departmental synergy and collaboration, increasing financial profitability for the franchise, improving communication, developing leadership initiatives, implementing a platform focusing on a positive community impact through the new Minnesota Vikings Foundation, launching a women’s initiative program, creating an elevated fan experience, and building a world-class franchise focused on the tenets of hard work, ethics, financial profitability, community service, and a “best-in-class” mentality. "  

Listened to an interview with Rick Spielman this morning. He worked directly with Warren for years. Said the Bears have made a fantastic hire and that Warren will definitely stay in his lane letting Poles run the football side but that he would be there for him to advise and consult when necessary. 

Peace

2 hours ago, Connorbear said:

Listened to an interview with Rick Spielman this morning. He worked directly with Warren for years. Said the Bears have made a fantastic hire and that Warren will definitely stay in his lane letting Poles run the football side but that he would be there for him to advise and consult when necessary. 

Peace

Perfect!  

6 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Meanwhile, Ian Cunningham has turned down the AZ GM job. Understand he turned down another opportunity as GM to stay with the Bears.  I for one think this is great news.  

With Ian being here next year, when he leaves we get two 3rd round picks for having a diversity hire. That's starters in Poles draft capital. This year Velus sucked but next year he will surprise everyone.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

With Ian being here next year, when he leaves we get two 3rd round picks for having a diversity hire. That's starters in Poles draft capital. This year Velus sucked but next year he will surprise everyone.

I didn't know this rule existed.  Very cool.  I love that the Bears could be an organization that churns out future minority executives while getting eggs picks.  So good on so many levels.

4 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

With Ian being here next year, when he leaves we get two 3rd round picks for having a diversity hire. That's starters in Poles draft capital.

Yep.  49ers setting example with former Dir. of Player Personnel Ron Carthon going to Tennessee to take over GM duties.  

14 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Meanwhile, Ian Cunningham has turned down the AZ GM job. Understand he turned down another opportunity as GM to stay with the Bears.  I for one think this is great news.  

I posted last night some of the QB options for AZ.  I'd love to know if that situation played a part of Cunningham's decision.  Did the owners want to keep Murray and build around him, and Cunningham said "I don't want that limitation"?   Then the Cards go grab a guy from Tenn where they've been "getting by" with retread QBs for years.  

4 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I posted last night some of the QB options for AZ.  I'd love to know if that situation played a part of Cunningham's decision.  Did the owners want to keep Murray and build around him, and Cunningham said "I don't want that limitation"?   Then the Cards go grab a guy from Tenn where they've been "getting by" with retread QBs for years.  

I think he knows this off-season is the best situation a GM could ever had and wants to be a part of it. If it works out Poles will be giving him credit to. He will have more job options next year with lots of job credits. 

Another thing is , he played  at Virgina and worked in Baltimore and Philadelphia. He might just be a Northeastern man that wants to stay in that area. He'll wait for a job there.