Training Camp Begins

AZ54

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Velus was out there when they said Scott was different, so my guess is that Scott is elite fast/game speed fast.

I think they are both in that elite speed category.  It was obvious with Velus in games last year.  Velus is bigger so he might carry that speed better with pads on.   If we have 3 productive WRs and 2 productive TEs as it appears then occasionally adding either Velus or Scott to the field is going to challenge a defense.  It won't be like the old Hester days where they just keyed on him.  This WR group is coming together early in camp and it's been a very long time since we've seen this much production from our offense in the first 4 practices.    

So is the rise of D'Anthony Jones and Terrell Lewis going to defer us from making an add at edge? We still need to see what players do with pads on. We are getting a lot of positive vibes from players we have in camp. DJ Moore and Justin are on the same page and will go along way to pushing Justin into a higher passing bracket. Besides having competent WRs in Mooney and Claypool, V. Jones and T Scott add a speed element greater than our top Wrs. Going friom last yrs WR room to what we have going now is amazing what Poles got accomplished in one yr. 

I would love if we could pick up Dannielle Hunter, that would be the cherry to top of a successful offseason. I know there are a lot of questions but it sure does look good from this point in time.  

4 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

So is the rise of D'Anthony Jones and Terrell Lewis going to defer us from making an add at edge? We still need to see what players do with pads on. We are getting a lot of positive vibes from players we have in camp. DJ Moore and Justin are on the same page and will go along way to pushing Justin into a higher passing bracket. Besides having competent WRs in Mooney and Claypool, V. Jones and T Scott add a speed element greater than our top Wrs. Going friom last yrs WR room to what we have going now is amazing what Poles got accomplished in one yr. 

I would love if we could pick up Dannielle Hunter, that would be the cherry to top of a successful offseason. I know there are a lot of questions but it sure does look good from this point in time.  

I have zero hope for D'Anthony Jones being anything this year.  Maybe he makes the practice squad.  Terrell Lewis has a much better resume at least in college and he's returning to what is his more natural position after playing OLB, and often off the ball in coverage, for the Rams.  He might turn into a productive rotational player for us if he can stay healthy.  Next week is big for the DE group but so far Poles hasn't seen a reason to add to it.   Today they are doing full reviews on every player in camp w/ the scouting staff and coaches.  If they don't like what they've got Poles will likely make a move early this week.  

It seems like every year we have an edge player who looks good before the the pads come on and then they disappear.  I forget who it was last year, some dude from Arizona.  

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

It seems like every year we have an edge player who looks good before the the pads come on and then they disappear.  I forget who it was last year, some dude from Arizona.  

Was it Carson Taylor?  Robert Snowden comes to mind as someone “we” were excited about but disappeared after a few seasons.  Now he resides on TBs practice squad.

Whatever happened to the development of Domonique Robinson?  I thought I heard he might be turning some heads early on…before pads are put on.  

As far as signing a veteran edge rusher, I’m for it too.  But there seem to be enough options out there the Bears don’t need to be desperate.  Whether it be Hunter (who is still waiting for a huge payout) or Ngokue who decided he’s be ok with playing for the Bears (after initially saying he’d “play for a contender”), Poles playing the long game benefits the team . 

By the end of training camp we will know what we have at edge, or I should say, what we dont have. 

Walker is probably a good # 2 rusher with one stud rusher of which we dont have. May get some sacks from Rasheen Green but the unanswered question is what we get from Gipson and Robinson. Obviously with 4 new DTs to the squad, there should be some game from the middle but not enough to create a presentable DL. As we have seen in the past, Poles places a value on a player and wont go over that. He showed interest in McGlinchey but at 17.5 mil a yr and 35 mil guarantee that wasn't going to happen. He has a set value for Ngakoue and Houston. I dont think he  backs off of their value he gives them. I appreciate him being patient and avoiding wasting money on free agency but Ngakoue could push our DL into the middle of ratings. I wouldnt mind him giving him a 12 mil one yr deal. He made 13 mil last yr. 

7 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

By the end of training camp we will know what we have at edge, or I should say, what we dont have. 

Walker is probably a good # 2 rusher with one stud rusher of which we dont have. May get some sacks from Rasheen Green but the unanswered question is what we get from Gipson and Robinson. Obviously with 4 new DTs to the squad, there should be some game from the middle but not enough to create a presentable DL. As we have seen in the past, Poles places a value on a player and wont go over that. He showed interest in McGlinchey but at 17.5 mil a yr and 35 mil guarantee that wasn't going to happen. He has a set value for Ngakoue and Houston. I dont think he  backs off of their value he gives them. I appreciate him being patient and avoiding wasting money on free agency but Ngakoue could push our DL into the middle of ratings. I wouldnt mind him giving him a 12 mil one yr deal. He made 13 mil last yr. 

Ngakoue reportedly offers nothing in run defense.  We'd be carrying one player solely for 3rd and long situations.  While teams keep players like that on their rosters, there has to be some locker room issues with this guy or he'd have been picked up by now.  The entire NFL in this past offseason was not interested a 28yr old player who had 9.5 sacks last year.   On the surface that makes no sense so I'm of the opinion where there is smoke there is fire.  We can't bring a fire into our young locker room which seems to have a very good vibe to it this year.   If that means living with Gipson getting 5 or 6 sacks and give up 3-4 extra that Yannick might have had so be it.  In any case Gipson will probably make up for it in run defense stops.   I have more interest in Justin Houston since he might be someone who would be better mentor to the edge group.  

We may be forced to go with Ngakoue if we really need help but so far it appears they are giving DomRob, Gipson, and Lewis every chance to show they can do it.  

54 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Ngakoue reportedly offers nothing in run defense.  We'd be carrying one player solely for 3rd and long situations.  While teams keep players like that on their rosters, there has to be some locker room issues with this guy or he'd have been picked up by now.  The entire NFL in this past offseason was not interested a 28yr old player who had 9.5 sacks last year.   On the surface that makes no sense so I'm of the opinion where there is smoke there is fire.  We can't bring a fire into our young locker room which seems to have a very good vibe to it this year.   If that means living with Gipson getting 5 or 6 sacks and give up 3-4 extra that Yannick might have had so be it.  In any case Gipson will probably make up for it in run defense stops.   I have more interest in Justin Houston since he might be someone who would be better mentor to the edge group.  

We may be forced to go with Ngakoue if we really need help but so far it appears they are giving DomRob, Gipson, and Lewis every chance to show they can do it.  

Youre right about Ngokoue. And Houston can fill in, but he's getting old. I still think we might end u0 with one of these two as a one year band aid, but i wonder if Poles isn't hoping for a better fit. Maybe a trade for someone we arent talking about, or maybe just a cheaper deal for one of those two.

But I totally agree with you, neither one is putting us in Super Bowl contention this year, and neither will be a significant part of the 2024 team, so maybe Poles is in no hurry to fill this gap with a piece that isn't really part of the build. Maybe he'd rather develop the guys he has now and see what the extra snaps will do for them.

It's easy to want to be good this year, but i think Poles only wants to improve in ways that stick, so while I keep checking this page a few times a day to see if we signed anyone, it might not be in our best long term interest, and if it costs us a couple wins this year, maybe thats not so bad.

I have a feeling Poles is more disciplined than any of us when it comes to this stuff. Thats a new feeling from Halas Hall - competence!

9 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I think Poles has already made offers to these players but they are not on the same page. Offering Ngakoue a one yr contract will not upset the culture but like you said, there may be team culture issues we dont know about. He's not buying anyone that doesnt do max effort all the time. 

5 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I felt this was a good summary of our first week in camp...

I've seen @Deersview on twitter before but never viewed NewWave stuff before. Is it just me or from last year to this year is there just more Bears content out there?  Every season I always try to catch all the Bear content I can find, but is there more now? Or am I just paying attention more?

8 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

It's easy to want to be good this year, but i think Poles only wants to improve in ways that stick,

This is what we were begging for back when we knew Pace was a lame duck.  We got exactly what we wanted and need in Poles.  If we don't sign a veteran, so be it.  Just use the money to extend core players and stay in a great cap situation.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

I've seen @Deersview on twitter before but never viewed NewWave stuff before. Is it just me or from last year to this year is there just more Bears content out there?  Every season I always try to catch all the Bear content I can find, but is there more now? Or am I just paying attention more?

A little bit of both, but definitely more. 

7 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

He upgrades the bottom of the roster. Since we have first waiver claim status, we will see this a few times. I say the only way he makes the roster is if someone gets hurt.

Insurance against a BIllings injury, or Dexter looks so good at 3T that we need a rotational player at NT.

Some good and some bad today and it all depends on which side of the ball you were watching on which play.  It is practice so who knows if it's good offense or bad defense but things are different.  I like what Wannstedt said...this team, on both sides of the ball, plays fast even with the pads on.  That alone bodes well for game day.  A couple things are noticeable from all the commentary.   For one both young DTs are big and strong and are showing good hand placement already.  They have a long way to go on play recognition and things like that but it's a good start for help on the run defense. 

I saw a lot of videos summarizing the first practice in pads with highlights.  Most focus on the splash plays but The Football Scout chimed in with some looks at the line and I thought that was worth sharing.  He highlights mostly Darnell Wright but you get to see other Oline and our Dline too.   Overall it's day one and I don't make too much of individual wins/losses on plays because it's very early.  This just gets you a sense of the physical talent we have.  My notes:  Billings looks like a beast in the middle.  DomRob is playing much stronger this year and conversely Braxton still needs to improve against power.  Tev is still getting his feet and hands sorted out on the left side.  

I'm also linking a video from 670 The Score with Tim Jenkins just because I think the way he outlines the plays the Bears should be able to have success with is worth it (mostly first 5-7min).  He explains how the talent and scheme will 1) help ease things for Justin in terms of reading the defense and 2) how it will challenge a defense to cover all the options we have and what he thinks we're already installing to leverage that.   

5 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Some good and some bad today and it all depends on which side of the ball you were watching on which play.  It is practice so who knows if it's good offense or bad defense but things are different.  I like what Wannstedt said...this team, on both sides of the ball, plays fast even with the pads on.  That alone bodes well for game day.  A couple things are noticeable from all the commentary.   For one both young DTs are big and strong and are showing good hand placement already.  They have a long way to go on play recognition and things like that but it's a good start for help on the run defense. 

I saw a lot of videos summarizing the first practice in pads with highlights.  Most focus on the splash plays but The Football Scout chimed in with some looks at the line and I thought that was worth sharing.  He highlights mostly Darnell Wright but you get to see other Oline and our Dline too.   Overall it's day one and I don't make too much of individual wins/losses on plays because it's very early.  This just gets you a sense of the physical talent we have.  My notes:  Billings looks like a beast in the middle.  DomRob is playing much stronger this year and conversely Braxton still needs to improve against power.  Tev is still getting his feet and hands sorted out on the left side.  

I'm also linking a video from 670 The Score with Tim Jenkins just because I think the way he outlines the plays the Bears should be able to have success with is worth it (mostly first 5-7min).  He explains how the talent and scheme will 1) help ease things for Justin in terms of reading the defense and 2) how it will challenge a defense to cover all the options we have and what he thinks we're already installing to leverage that.   

This guy sure does fire up the base. Smart guy

A lot of bright spots, but Nate Davis is a concern to me. He didn't show up for voluntary OTAs (as a new FA), and now has missed some time during training camp without any indication from the team on why he is not present. Seems like a concern because everyone had him penciled in at RG.

Love it!  Interception and the celebration.  Every good defense needs some swagger and an identity.  Ours is starting to build.  

Velus took a handoff from the backfield today.  It’s early in camp too. If that was going to be in the playbook I figured we’d hold that look until the private practices.  It’s year two in the offense and WR are moving all over the place, slot, wide, strong side, weak side.  It’s going to be tougher for a defense to guess plays going off personnel in the huddle.  

Àlex leatherwood seems to be gaining ground in the competition for backup OG and appears to be ahead of Carter now.  

As we praise the additions to the OL this year, the players that were here have been working to get better. Leatherwood, Jones, Carter, Patrick, Borom, Eiselen. This coaching staff gives me the impression they are developing players, something I really havent been noticeable in the past regime. As far as metrics, they have specifically  designed the players workouts for each player. I think we will see the due diligence of a good coaching staff.