Claypool to PUP

adam

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Not sure I agree on the “push off”but whatever.  Positive is that Claypool showed the athleticism to beat coverage (on a rookie mind you) AND still catch the ball while falling down.  

Grizz, he had full arm extension.  That is precisely what the refs are looking for.  I will say it was a very athletic comeback for such a big athlete, but it was undoubtedly a push off.

55 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Grizz, he had full arm extension.  That is precisely what the refs are looking for.  I will say it was a very athletic comeback for such a big athlete, but it was undoubtedly a push off.

Yeah, it’s training camp.  These things happen.  I’m glad to see he doesn’t have lingering effects from any injury.  

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

Looks like Stevenson was slipping himself from the sudden change of direction and Claypools hand was feeling him but it didn't look like he caused him to fall. 

2 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Looks like Stevenson was slipping himself from the sudden change of direction and Claypools hand was feeling him but it didn't look like he caused him to fall.  In one photo, Stevenson is biting late and out of control.  The next they are both using hands to make the play bit stevenson soon slides out of the play 

Screenshot_20230729_210710_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20230729_210704_DuckDuckGo.jpg

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Yeah, it’s training camp.  These things happen.  I’m glad to see he doesn’t have lingering effects from any injury.  

Same here!  I'm rooting for the kid.  Steve Smith kinda called him out today, saying "looks like Tarzan", but he failed to say "plays like Jane", but he was going there.  Hopefully,  this all motivates claim to full potential and he stays there.  My fear, is that he's fighting for a contract, then f'k all after that.  I really am rooting for him and that he is a long term Bear...

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I'm going to be in the disagree side here because I think it's his right arm that has the full extension and that's after the DB is grabbing at his hip/leg to help himself slow down.  That's also after Claypool has turned around because otherwise his right arm is opposite the DB.  Claypool's left arm might be hooking the DBs hip or pulling his jersey a bit when he hits the brakes but at that time Claypool is a half step ahead of Stevenson.  It's not as natural to reach behind you to do that.  If he did, it was a really quick tug and that happens on game day all the time without a flag, just not always.  Bottom line for me:  There's some grabbing going on from both sides but I see a WR who fought through the contact and won the ball.   

What was impressive was a 6'4" WR with autobahn-style brakes.  When I first saw the clip I had the same reaction as the fans in the stands.  In stop action as best I could I see Claypool accelerate and start to pull away from the DB, then stop and turn back inside with just one and half steps.  I'd heard that Chase worked on his cuts and getting in/out of his breaks this offseason.  In this clip it seems to have paid off.  If the Soldier Field turf doesn't betray him he's going to give DBs fits.  

8 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I'm going to be in the disagree side here because I think it's his right arm that has the full extension and that's after the DB is grabbing at his hip/leg to help himself slow down. 

It's cool that we can disagree on it, but also agree on the more important issue, in that was a good athletic play. 

I remember a play, last year, when it took ESB four yards to to cut back.  In that time, it only took the DB two yards for a result of a pick.

Screenshot_20230730_090700_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230730_090008_Chrome.jpg

I agree on ESB    He lacks the sudden movement skills needed to create consistent separation.   He also took some bad angles after his breaks last year which opened the door for the DB to get to the ball

if he makes the team he may not see the field much.   A WR who is mostly a run blocker is too much of a tell.   We’d be better off with Kmet and Tonyan.  

• 2 months later...

Why is Claypole not involved with team and being asked to stay away from the team. I can only see he suggested he could be used differently to succeed. Or is there other disciplinary issues I haven’t seen. If the former it’s seems a bit harsh. 

I support Man Utd and Jason Sancho is not training with the first team because he suggested in a X (twitter) post that Ten Hag (manager) had told lies that others players were training better and this was why he was a healthy scratch for a game. 

He had several games with terrible effort. He has a bad attitude, and he said to the press that his failure was the coaches doing.

He never ascended as a WR. I havent seen it from him at all.

He was a reach at a time we had nothing and Poles wanted to give Justin something to evaluate him with. i understood the move, and I forgive the reach and miss.

Bye Chase, you sucked.

1 hour ago, 50england50 said:

Why is Claypole not involved with team and being asked to stay away from the team. I can only see he suggested he could be used differently to succeed. Or is there other disciplinary issues I haven’t seen. If the former it’s seems a bit harsh. 

I support Man Utd and Jason Sancho is not training with the first team because he suggested in a X (twitter) post that Ten Hag (manager) had told lies that others players were training better and this was why he was a healthy scratch for a game. 

He literally didn't play at all in week 1 - he was so bad. It does sound like based upon beat reporters - that there is more to this story and it gets into how he practiced, how he acted in meetings, etc.  The fact that he had to apologize to everyone in week 1 tells you a lot and maybe he played with more effort the following week, but sounds like it quickly dissipated.  

30 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

He had several games with terrible effort. He has a bad attitude, and he said to the press that his failure was the coaches doing.

He never ascended as a WR. I havent seen it from him at all.

He was a reach at a time we had nothing and Poles wanted to give Justin something to evaluate him with. i understood the move, and I forgive the reach and miss.

Bye Chase, you sucked.

Good riddance, what a huge miss by Poles. NEVER EVER TRADE WITH TEAMS LIKE PITTSBURGH. They don't just let young talent walk out the door. They really fleeced Poles on the draft pick. He was originally a second round pick, you don't trade a 2nd rounder for 1.5 years of a guy when you can just draft a rookie of the same caliber and get 4 years out of them. Should've been a 3rd, or at most the late 2nd.

17 minutes ago, adam said:

Good riddance, what a huge miss by Poles. NEVER EVER TRADE WITH TEAMS LIKE PITTSBURGH. They don't just let young talent walk out the door. They really fleeced Poles on the draft pick. He was originally a second round pick, you don't trade a 2nd rounder for 1.5 years of a guy when you can just draft a rookie of the same caliber and get 4 years out of them. Should've been a 3rd, or at most the late 2nd.

yeah youre totally right. its just that we wanted to evaluate Fields and we had nothing. We didnt want to wait for the 23 draft, hoping to know what we had in Fields before that.

It's like paying $50 for a glass of water when youre dying of thirst in the desert. Its really dumb, and you way overpaid, but youre the idiot who walked into the desert with no water. And that was us digging out from Pace.

13 hours ago, adam said:

This is Poles biggest mistake since being here. Last year people were complaining because he didnt give Fields enough weapons. He offered them his  lower 2nd round pick until Packers wanted Claypool , had to go with the higher pick. Claypool had performed well his first two years in the league so it didnt look as bad as it does now but the best thing Poles can do is cut his losses and move on. Hopefully he learns from this mistake.  

On 7/23/2023 at 3:44 PM, adam said:

The gift that keeps on giving. I thought a 2nd rounder was steep for a WR3, but at the time, not knowing they would be able to get Moore, I understood it.

However, now after a good chunk of the season, an entire offseason, and now he lands on the PUP for the start of the real offseason training camp. Not a good trend.

With the addition of guys like Moore, Tonyan, and even Scott, and possibly some increased PT for Velus, Claypool is going to be the odd man out. Only so many targets to go around. It seems like the pecking order is Moore, Mooney, Kmet, Tonyan, RB1, Scott, then Velus or Claypool. By the time you get to the 5th player, that is about 5 targets a game.

It's crazy because if you look at this trade from day 1, it was filled with red flags, but we mostly discounted them because "Poles had to do something" "Poles needed a vet WR to see if Fields can develop" "An extra half season will help" when in reality we were all reaching for straws. Claypool was a headcase in Pittsburgh, was never more than a WR3, and they drafted his replacement in Pickens. You don't move on from a 24 yr old WR in his 3rd year because his contract extension is 1.5 years away, that is silly talk.

There was one spurt of offseason coverage where he was having a good practice in shorts and everyone got all excited at the prospects of him turning it around. 

He basically averaged 4 receptions a game with Pittsburgh, that went to 2 last season in Chicago, to basically 1 this year. To imagine a guy could be a healthy scratch in Week 4 in a contract year is pretty wild. 

I hope the Bears can get something for him, but after all of this drama, his trade value is probably gone. Now they are going to wait out the trading deadline and see if any team gets desperate.  However, considering how he looked changing teams last year, I don't know what team would think he would be useful this season. 

Just a total mess because the ripple effects are huge. That 2nd rounder could've been anyone in the 2nd round, the Bears essentially lost an upgrade somewhere on the roster for less than a full year of Claypool. 

28 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

This is Poles biggest mistake since being here. Last year people were complaining because he didnt give Fields enough weapons. He offered them his  lower 2nd round pick until Packers wanted Claypool , had to go with the higher pick. Claypool had performed well his first two years in the league so it didnt look as bad as it does now but the best thing Poles can do is cut his losses and move on. Hopefully he learns from this mistake.  

Mistakes happen. I still think Poles has put us in the right direction at the top. 

1 minute ago, ChileBear said:

Mistakes happen. I still think Poles has put us in the right direction at the top. 

Absolutely, you can't hit a HR if you don't swing.

However, what is "right" at the top besides Wright?

Wright is the only player playing up to his draft slot, and Moore is the only vet acquisition doing anything besides Billings. So for guys Poles added, that's it. Brisker looks terrible (playing hurt?), Dexter and Stevenson are playing ok, Pickens has been bad, and Velus is still on the roster. Ngakoue, Walker, and Green are playing really bad, and Edmunds and Edwards just look out of place. 

Everyone can say it's all on the coaching, but the coaches don't miss the tackles (or sacks), miss assignment, blow coverages. I rewatched the game against Denver, and it really is hard to understand what Brisker is doing half the time. He looks best just blindly rushing a gap. When he has to work in space, he does not look good.

The Bears need more impact players and from the looks of it, Moore may be the only guy on the roster that is (besides when Fields runs). That is indicative of the 0-4 start.