Fire Everyone (Soon)

adam

This franchise is done. The GM assembled the worst roster in the NFL.

Changes need to be made, but there is no point doing it now, but they need to make changes after the TNF loss to WAS in 2 weeks. They will have 3 extra days for a new staff to figure something out. 

Coaches are the laughingstocks of the league. Flus is a defensive coach that has coached the worst defensive team in the NFL for over 20 games. Getsy can't scheme himself out of a paper bag. 

Players are clowns. Fields still missing open receivers and taking sacks. He is just not it. How many more games do you need to see him do the same exact thing. Teams know exactly how to defend Fields, keep him in the pocket, make him throw to the middle of the field on timing routes, something he cannot do. WRs dropping balls that hit them in their hands, unacceptable. 

The defense played the softest zone I have ever seen. 3 receivers open on every play. Brisker celebrating an incompletion down by 40. $60M invested in LBs and we can't stop the run. 

They need to start thinking firesale now, don't make any of the trade bait players look worse. Try to find trading partners for Mooney, Claypool, Herbert, Foreman, Whitehair, Johnson, Jackson .

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poles is running the everyday show, not sure he fires himself. If  this continues, I can see him firing Flus but it would probably be over the bye week and then who takes over? It would probably be Getsy, is that an upgrade? No one on the staff has been a HC before. 

Warren could step in but he is not bringing in new coaches 3 games into the season. If they finish the season with 5 or 6 wins (5-9) or (6-8) the rest of the way, do they keep Flus?  Is that enough progress?

If I am recalling the specifics incorrectly, please set me straight.  However, I remember that Poles was given a list of coaches to interview by George.  If that is true, the GM can't be 100% responsible for the coaching hire.  I thought poles did a decent job of drafting.  If Eberflus brought in his staff then he has to go.  DC did something sketchy or he wouldn't have "resigned".  Luke's only claim to fame is he coached an already polished quarterback.  Definitely FIRE eberflus.  I doubt anything will happen until after the commander game.  We then have 10 days off.  

3 minutes ago, fudgeripple2000 said:

If I am recalling the specifics incorrectly, please set me straight.  However, I remember that Poles was given a list of coaches to interview by George.  If that is true, the GM can't be 100% responsible for the coaching hire.  I thought poles did a decent job of drafting.  If Eberflus brought in his staff then he has to go.  DC did something sketchy or he wouldn't have "resigned".  Luke's only claim to fame is he coached an already polished quarterback.  Definitely FIRE eberflus.  I doubt anything will happen until after the commander game.  We then have 10 days off.  

I agree. You cant really blame Poles for this. Then again, you cant say that Poles hit a bunch of home runs either.

Its not enough to fire these guys. You have to find real winners to replace them with, winners who hold their locker rooms accountable. I dont know how modern NFL players react to tough disciplinarian coaches. Maybe that doesnt work either anymore. I doubt Andy Reid coddles his players though.

We need a head coach who wants to dominate more than he wants to fit in well with HR. But would our owners ever allow that?!

16 minutes ago, Connorbear said:

I honestly don't see them firing anyone until the end of the season simply because that is something the Bears do not do.  If they do that actually is a good thing as it means Warren is fully in charge. 

Peace

You’re right, probably end of season.  Flus is now also DC so what the heck do they do on that side of the ball if he’s gone.  

The staff is incompetent across the board.  No clue if Fields has talent or sucks based on how poorly coached he and the team is.  I turned the game off on Sunday when they had a delay of game penalty after a kick off.  In all my years I’ve never seen that happen.   

Even if you've decided that Eberflus isn't coming back, you still might wait to fire him for logistical reasons. And like Cracker says, you do need someone to run the team, especially on defense. All the coaching chiars are full right now, so it's not like youre going to find your next coach among someone without a job right now.

You do want the new GM (if you fire Poles) to be up to speed before this all important draft though. If you fire Poles now, the morale among the coaches goes to hell, and we go 0-17. Which might be good from the point of view of the incoming new GM and coach.

But I think Warren and Poles have a thing going on, and I think Warren will give Poles a shot at picking his own HC not from a pre-approved McCaskey list.

So logistically, you might fire Eberflus with a few games to go, but not this early. Especially because you surely wouldn't give interim head coach to Getsy, and you dont even have a DC to give it to either.

I think the death spiral looks like this:

More painful performances, maybe even a win or two.
The continued de-evolution of Justin Fields.
The grasping at straws short lived Tyler Bagent era, in which the offense has some rhythm, but NFL defenses bring Bagent dreams back to earth.
The emerging possibility of having 2 top 5 draft picks.
The emerging possibility of having the number one pick.
The firing of Eberflus with three games to go.
The false hope and disaster to end the season.
The frantic talk of playoff bound coordinators for next years head coach.

Then comes the moment that defines the next 4 years:

Do we look for tricky young innovative offensive coaches to create a Jetsons offense to fool the NFL with the new rookie QB

OR

Do we hire an SOB of a head coach who instills a real culture of accountability?

Poles top 5 FA acquisitions by Cap Hit:

1. Tremaine Edmunds - $14.7M
2. Yannick Ngakoue - $10.4M
3. Justin Jones - $7.4M
4. Nate Davis - $6.9M
5. DeMarcus Walker - $6.4M

That is really a very unproductive group. Poles needed at least 3 of these guys to produce. His best signing has been Billings at $2.7M. 

Rasheem Green has been terrible. Poles decided to keep Robinson over Lewis, and Robinson has done nothing. It feels like his Pro Player Personnel scouting is terrible.  There have been a bunch of edge rushers for contracts similar to Walker and Green that have produced (Arden Key, Samson Ebukam, etc). Hell, Markus Golden signed a 1 year, $1.3M deal with the Steelers and has 2 sacks in 3 games.

He never addressed safety or brought in vet depth in the secondary, now the Bears are running out UDFAs and guys they just signed from other team's practice squads. 

Tough business but Poles has to be better. He signed Foreman to a $2M deal for him to be a healthy scratch the last 2 weeks. You can miss on a few, but you can't miss on most, because once you add injuries to the situation, you end up where the Bears are now.

12 hours ago, adam said:

Poles top 5 FA acquisitions by Cap Hit:

1. Tremaine Edmunds - $14.7M
2. Yannick Ngakoue - $10.4M
3. Justin Jones - $7.4M
4. Nate Davis - $6.9M
5. DeMarcus Walker - $6.4M

That is really a very unproductive group. Poles needed at least 3 of these guys to produce. His best signing has been Billings at $2.7M. 

Rasheem Green has been terrible. Poles decided to keep Robinson over Lewis, and Robinson has done nothing. It feels like his Pro Player Personnel scouting is terrible.  There have been a bunch of edge rushers for contracts similar to Walker and Green that have produced (Arden Key, Samson Ebukam, etc). Hell, Markus Golden signed a 1 year, $1.3M deal with the Steelers and has 2 sacks in 3 games.

He never addressed safety or brought in vet depth in the secondary, now the Bears are running out UDFAs and guys they just signed from other team's practice squads. 

Tough business but Poles has to be better. He signed Foreman to a $2M deal for him to be a healthy scratch the last 2 weeks. You can miss on a few, but you can't miss on most, because once you add injuries to the situation, you end up where the Bears are now.

Im not sure you can call these all bad choices this early in the year. Edmunds has not been bad but more was expected. Davis had extreme personal issues that has not allowed him to be  up to speed. Jones in a second year has not stood out but that is what vets make in a second contract. Every signing is not going to be the bargain bin signing. Poles said he was going to build thru the draft but you have to sign some vets in a rebuild. Yannick is an emergency signing late that is just getting up to speed. History says he will be okay. Walker performs best as a second pass rusher and still has time to get to his value as a acquisition. 

The key to Poles signing free agents is that he doesnt sign long term cap problem vets. the only one that falls in that category right now is Edmunds and he is not a bust.

What Poles has done is acquire draft capital and a great cap situation going into his 2nd year of a rebuild, he should be allowed to get to the third year for that alone. Yes he has 2 glaring mistakes so far, Claypool and V Jones, is there any Im missing?

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Im not sure you can call these all bad choices this early in the year. Edmunds has not been bad but more was expected. Davis had extreme personal issues that has not allowed him to be  up to speed. Jones in a second year has not stood out but that is what vets make in a second contract. Every signing is not going to be the bargain bin signing. Poles said he was going to build thru the draft but you have to sign some vets in a rebuild. Yannick is an emergency signing late that is just getting up to speed. History says he will be okay. Walker performs best as a second pass rusher and still has time to get to his value as a acquisition. 

The key to Poles signing free agents is that he doesnt sign long term cap problem vets. the only one that falls in that category right now is Edmunds and he is not a bust.

What Poles has done is acquire draft capital and a great cap situation going into his 2nd year of a rebuild, he should be allowed to get to the third year for that alone. Yes he has 2 glaring mistakes so far, Claypool and V Jones, is there any Im missing?

Yeah, next year is the year, I am just hoping that they can gain even more draft capital at the deadline. Move Eddie Jackson, Whitehair, Jones, and any other vet not in their long term plans. I would even consider moving Mooney or Johnson if they are not looking to extend them, but I would extend both. Claypool just needs to go now, he has been a cancer and the Bears have yet to win with Claypool on the roster. 

For mistakes, those are the two big ones. I would say not addressing the O-Line adequately and vet depth at Safety. The 2nd rounders really need to step up, Brisker has played pretty bad, Dexter hasn't done much, and Stevenson has been the only bright spot. Gordon looked good in the preseason, but he was terrible last year. So who knows what the Bears have there. I like Wright and I can't blame Poles for going that route, but that was not BPA, Carter was. Either way, I like getting the trenches fixed, so I hope they go DL and OL again in the first 3 rounds in 2024.

If the Bears are bad, say bottom 5, that is a top 37 pick in the 2nd, and top 70 in the 3rd. So they will have 3 in the top 37 and with Carolina's 2nd in 2025, they will have 3 in the top 45 (their 1st, CAR 2nd, their 2nd), and 4 in the top 75.  So technically they will have 8 picks in the top 75 of the next two drafts. So we may not even see much improvement until after the 2025 draft. 

Maybe 2023: 6-11, 2024: 9-8, 2025: 11-6

• 2 weeks later...

Getsy has to go, someone needs to be held accountable for this mess. The defense looks serviceable and only allowed 13 pts. The offense was a train wreck again. Getsy has no clue what he is doing. 

I just don't understand how a team can be so dysfunctional top to bottom regime after regime. I could see if they were doing quantum physics or something, but this is not that hard. There are 11 external variables in a fixed perimeter and enough analytics that there is not enough time in a lifetime to review. There are plays to beat every defensive concept yet the Bears put that crap out there every week.

They did it again btw. 3 WR screens in a row. Classic.

We hired a new regime at the beginning of 2022, not 5 years ago. Poles actions dictated a complete rebuild that experts say takes 3-4 years. We had the worse roster in the league last year but for some reason everyone should be fired less than a year and a half into that rebuild. I am probably the most optimistic fan on here , disappointed as I am, its not even 1 and a half years into it. 

This year was the year of seeing if Fields is a franchise QB, so far it doesnt look he is and the injury will confuse that choice. Poles will decide at the end of the year, not 6 games into it. 

The report on coaching is headed to a change at the end of the year or maybe sooner depending on the continued losing. Getsy gets most of the criticism on play calling and its justified, more bad than good. Flus is over his head but not sure if most coaches succeed in this situation. People want an offensive mind hired but so soon forget we did that Nagy, top aid OC at that time. 

Losing brings out every narrative you can imagine , so nothing looks good but Poles has added talent, mostly young players that need time to develop that no one wants to give them. he has brought some vets in, some good and some bad. The truth is DJ Moore and Edmunds are the only new players getting paid. Poles has fixed our cap hell and got us DJ, Wright, Stevenson, 2025 2nd, and probably a #1 pick with one pick. We didnt have a 2022 first round pick. What will he do with 2 first rounders?

Our future is not set in stone it will change for the better in 2024. We are basing our opinions on everything happening now, that was just high expectations.

Reality: maybe 3-4 wins and 2 top 5 picks, great cap space, a new coach, probably a new QB or more draft capital from a trade. This was never going to be the climb to the top of the division year, I just dreamed it would be. Poles isn't going anywhere.

2 hours ago, adam said:

Getsy has to go, someone needs to be held accountable for this mess. The defense looks serviceable and only allowed 13 pts. The offense was a train wreck again. Getsy has no clue what he is doing. 

Disagree.  Justin blew that game.  He's not seeing hot reads on blitzes.  Someone mentioned the lack of slants.  He can't throw them.  It's a fatal flaw in the NFL.  Washington did not blitz him, which shows how dumb or arrogant Rivera is.  

6 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Disagree.  Justin blew that game.  He's not seeing hot reads on blitzes.  Someone mentioned the lack of slants.  He can't throw them.  It's a fatal flaw in the NFL.  Washington did not blitz him, which shows how dumb or arrogant Rivera is.  

Its becoming obvious that Justin is not seeing the field nor reacting to the D as a good NFL QB must. His record as a QB sucks. All his fault? No, but his lack of quick reaction/read skills is preventing him from improving as a QB. Getsy hasn't done him any favors, either, and what he does with Bagent is going to give us a good idea of his staying or going as OC.

2 minutes ago, ChileBear said:

Its becoming obvious that Justin is not seeing the field nor reacting to the D as a good NFL QB must. His record as a QB sucks. All his fault? No, but his lack of quick reaction/read skills is preventing him from improving as a QB. Getsy hasn't done him any favors, either, and what he does with Bagent is going to give us a good idea of his staying or going as OC.

I agree, but I don't see much hope that Getsy is a keeper either. We need a new QB and a new coaching staff.

The question to me is whether Poles stays. I think he does, but if you have a shot at someone like Jim Harbaugh and hes gonna want more input on players, if Poles cant handle that, he can go too.

We need SOMEONE who is a WINNER with VISION.