Williams V Maye...

Mongo3451

Let the debate begin.  However unfair, this season is likely to cost Flus, Getsy and Fields their jobs.  I hate it, due to being so hopefull, but snake bitten is what it is.  

Poles should be given the opportunity to finish the rebuild, as I believe he has done the job pretty well to date.

I've been reading and watching video on both quarterbacks lately and they both have unique skills sets.  Both have cannon arms with quick releases.  Williams is better short and Maye is better long.  Both QB's are pocket first run later, with Williams being more creative and Maye more explosive.  This is the first year, I can remember, where two generational QB's will go 1 and 2. (Please don't let it be a Manning Leaf draft)  

IMO, we can't go wrong with either.  At this point, I'm choosing Maye, due to the offense he plays in.  He is required to read the high safety, while the Lincoln Rileys' offense does not require it.  This off season may be more crazy than last...

I'm with you on Poles, but don't forget he had a trade signed and delivered to send THREE of our first rounders for Russell Wilson. Pete Carroll nixed it at the last minute or else we'd have no DJ Moore, no Darnell Wright, no first round picks at all this year or next...

The  only articles I could find in a possible Bears- Wilson trade was on BGO on March 8th 2021. Reddit on March 17th 2021, about trying to trade 3 first round picks for Wilson. Poles didn't get hired until January 25th , 2022. 

The end of this year will determine who is our best option for QB and who is the best college QB. Hard to judge at this time. Maye is the ideal pocket passer, where Williams is more of a wildcard similar to how Mahones was projected when he was drafted. Penix has some fans also. Then there's the options of Fields or Bagent? Depends how the rest of the year plays out.

3 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I'm with you on Poles, but don't forget he had a trade signed and delivered to send THREE of our first rounders for Russell Wilson. Pete Carroll nixed it at the last minute or else we'd have no DJ Moore, no Darnell Wright, no first round picks at all this year or next...

That was Pace. 

2 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

That was Pace. 

Thank God. I had read (or misread) that it was Poles - maybe the source i read it from had it wrong, or maybe I just misread it.

But given that, then I am fully in support of Poles - he's done a lot of good things. The only way he goes is if a hot shot coach wants control or his own guy, and if Poles doesnt want to play ball with that. I dont anticipate that though, so yeah, let's keep him.

Thanks for setting me straight DABEARS and Stinger.

The reason I think Poles is safe is because when he came here, he said he wanted to build thru the draft and not over pay for FAs. We cant see the benefits to that in a year and a half. In two years his only expensive FA sighing has been Edmunds, otherwise they are all reasonable contracts on short team deals. history shows that overpaying for FAs is a bad idea. Very few of them has worked out. 

He brought in Cunningham to help do his  job. They both come from winning organizations. 

I only see two big mistakes so far, the Claypool ordeal and drafting V Jones. As a new GM they arent going to be right with everything. Plus he has shown the ability to move on from mistakes. So far he has manipulated the draft in his favor and I think his drafting has been above average. 

The biggest reason to keep him is because he turned a bad cap situation into a strength. Also if we have 2 first pick in the draft two years in a row, that could reap huge dividends. Of course it means we have lost a lot  but since I have been a Bears fan (60s) I have never seen a complete rebuild and this is what it looks like. If a bad 2 years turns us in to a consistent winner, Im willing to see if that works. Year 3 will be the year to see what he is building.

27 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I only see two big mistakes so far, the Claypool ordeal and drafting V Jones.

It's funny, they are considered mistakes, but the reason for getting them was pure and reasonable.  He'll never trust the Steelers organization again and even owes them a little payback.  Velus can still be serviceable.

My biggest complaint with Poles, on record too, is that he didn't draft a center or guard highly.  I didn't feel comfortable with Tevin Jenkins or whatever retread we had at center. Jenkins already missing four games, to start the season, messed up a lot of good intentions we had for a rebuilt line.  Whitehair, Patrick and Kramer have all been injured, again, proving the need for youth up front.  This mistake set the tone for this season.. But again, he legitimately tried.

47 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

It's funny, they are considered mistakes, but the reason for getting them was pure and reasonable.  He'll never trust the Steelers organization again and even owes them a little payback.  Velus can still be serviceable.

My biggest complaint with Poles, on record too, is that he didn't draft a center or guard highly.  I didn't feel comfortable with Tevin Jenkins or whatever retread we had at center. Jenkins already missing four games, to start the season, messed up a lot of good intentions we had for a rebuilt line.  Whitehair, Patrick and Kramer have all been injured, again, proving the need for youth up front.  This mistake set the tone for this season.. But again, he legitimately tried.

I agree with everything you said. His first year he offered Brian Allen a higher contract than the Rams paid him, but he choose the SB champs. His second choice was Patrick that has been  laden with injuries, plus hasn't played well.  He signed Davis for IOL but brought some baggage with him and now is injured. He's made attempts to fix the IOL but so far it hasn't worked out. Jenkins has had injury concerns but I think the development of Carter prevented him from bringing in another prospect there. Thinking Whitehair, Patrick and drafting Kramer ( who has been injured) hasn't worked out. I can't say he hasn't tried. He did trade for Feeney but he's been injured also. You can't figure injuries in to any plan you have and it's been about as bad as it can get with the OL.

If he had a healthy Jones -Jenkins-Witehair/Patrick/Kramer-Davis- Wright, that was a good plan.

There was an article about Davis in the Tribune where they slipped and said that Davis' mother died - that's what that was all about. He was going to see her as she was dying etc.

Why the hell they didnt tell us that and made Davis look like a head case is beyond me. Just more of that great non communication from the Bears office...

16 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

This is the first year, I can remember, where two generational QB's will go 1 and 2.

Playing my ‘devils advocate’ card (again) but are we seriously considering a guy who struggles against ranked teams and another guy from North Carolina as “generational”?  Haven’t we learned our lesson by drafting a Tar Heel QB in the first round?   

32 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Playing my ‘devils advocate’ card (again) but are we seriously considering a guy who struggles against ranked teams and another guy from North Carolina as “generational”?  Haven’t we learned our lesson by drafting a Tar Heel QB in the first round?   

Different head coach, different offensive system and completely different player...

34 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Different head coach, different offensive system and completely different player...

I’d have to do more reading and video watching but he’s still got the Trubiksy vibe.  At least he has one more starting season than did Mitch before coming out for the draft.  

9 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Not as bad as those who supported Mitchell.  Former players and fans are still divided at about 50/50 or better on Fields.  Unlike Trubiksy, the story’s not done for Justin in Chicago…yet.  

Hard to believe in JF at this point. He is completely exposed now 

1 hour ago, Daventry said:

Hard to believe in JF at this point. He is completely exposed now 

Maybe.

Week 4:  Fields 28/35 335 yards 4 TDs 1  INT - 21 point lead before defense (in my opinion) sh*t the bed

Week 5:  Fields 15/29 282 yards 4 TDs 0 INT (win over Washington)

Week 6:  Bears were second best rushing team in the league with 162 yards (with 2nd and 3rd string RBs).  Fields is lost and Bagent scores one rush TD to bring the final score to 19-13.  

Week 7:  Bears win scoring two rushing TDs by Foreman (first time since Walter Payton has a player done it twice in one game) one other by passing (screen) and another by INT

Maybe the tide is turning in the coaching and scheme calling or its just the difference between Bagent and Fields playing **shrug**  

Is there any way to a get a QB that does both what Bagent does well and Fields does well?

2 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Is there any way to a get a QB that does both what Bagent does well and Fields does well?

You won't find that very often in college these days so you have to coach up the player.  The ones who throw quickly are often just given an easy single read that simply doesn't work in the NFL.  Even Mahomes coming out had issues with holding the ball too long for the big play and really, if you watch his game closely, he's still got that in him.... work deep then underneath.  Yet on quick WR screens he has a quicker release than Fields, a quicker mind when scrambling, and just a cannon for an arm.  

I haven't watched much of Mayes (1 game) or Williams (maybe half a game) to make a decision.  In the time I've seen of both neither impressed me enough to be #1 overall.   As the season winds down I'll catch them again.  It'll also be better to see them later in the season since college changes so much during the course of a season as young players getting their first playing time improve quite a bit.    

18 minutes ago, adam said:

You may want to add McCarthy. In a potential scenario is Harbaugh and McCarthy coming in, maybe with Marvin Harrison Jr, but if the Bears start winning, they will only have one great pick (thanks CAR).

QB this draft is ridiculous.  Add in Nix, Penix and Sanders also...

8 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

QB this draft is ridiculous.  Add in Nix, Penix and Sanders also...

Yeah this class looks much better than most recent ones. If you grouped the last few years together, outside of Lawrence, most of the guys coming out next spring would be rated higher.