Wk 8 Game Thread: Bears @ Chargers

AZ54

Adam must be busy, or still passed out after celebrating a Bears victory, so let's get it rollin'.  

The Chargers D leaves a lot to be desired.  So does their HC Brandon Staley who makes more questionable calls in a game than any HC I can remember.  Maybe I only see his bad games.  

My biggest concern is with Darnell Wright and that bum shoulder.  Going against Maxx Crosby with one arm is not good but he's more finesse than strength.  Trying to one arm Bosa's or Mack's power won't work one bit.   Plus they have all that weakness on tape and a week to prep for it.  

Our DBs are really playing well.  Since starters Gordon and Johnson returned Brisker has returned to his missile seeking ways.  The CBs are often locking down receivers well enough to force QBs to hold ball another second.  Stevenson still has bad habits of looking at the QB early and getting burned at the inflection point where the receiver cuts or accelerates.  If he ever gets his eyes right on the WR first then QB we might have a good one.  

LBs are playing much better in this scheme. Maybe having CBs who can cover is helping them but I aside from having better players outside them I also think it's time in the system.  

Dline has improved and our run defense is stout.  I saw where Brad Biggs mentioned trading Andrew Billings... that's stupid.  Billings has been a stud for us on run downs and he's only making $2.5mil on a 1yr deal.  If anything extend him for a year or two cheap.  He'll become depth as the rookie DTs grow over the next year or two.  Boneheaded trade ideas like this only keep a team in the cellar.  Still no pass rush but there is always next year.  

Oline has been fun to watch lately.  I'm not sure I've ever said that about our Oline.  Lucas Patrick even looks good at C and I enjoyed his mic'd up video from last week because he brought the energy on the field.   These guys need that. 

Secret Bagent just has to do his thing again and keep it calm and steady.   If we win and Bagent plays well I won't be surprised to see Fields get another week of rest so the Bears can see Bagent string together 3 games.  Four games of film is the baseline for a defense to know what a QB wants to do, likes to do, and can do, and then scheme against it.  Three games gets you pretty close to that.  Use the excuse we need Fields healthy for the division games in Wk 11 and 12.   Maybe give Fields the Carolina game in Wk 10 to get ready for Detroit.  If things aren't going well for Fields later in the season Bagent could get his 4th game in Wk 17.  

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

I saw where Brad Biggs mentioned trading Andrew Billings... that's stupid.  Billings has been a stud for us on run downs and he's only making $2.5mil on a 1yr deal.  If anything extend him for a year or two cheap.  He'll become depth as the rookie DTs grow over the next year or two.  Boneheaded trade ideas like this only keep a team in the cellar.  Still no pass rush but there is always next year.

Even as the rookies ascend, you always need a rotation, and for that kind of money you keep Billings as long as you can.

I get we  still are losers and  then people want to trade young players that could be part of the core. Poles will have to start winning next year so sign Billings, JJ, and Mooney and build the core up. Getting late round picks for core players is stupid, its time to start rolling forward and forget the losing streak. Once our OL is back from injuries, it will be one of strength instead of a problem. I suspect Whitehair sits and Jenkins and Davis will be the starters. They are more physical beasts. Having Carter and Whitehir as backups is what good depth looks like. We are a swing OT away from a top 10 OL. 

Pound the ball, win the takeover game and we are going to win more games than we lose.

My son and I will be there.  Will be our 2nd game of the season (after no games in a few years).  Got to take my kids for a quick last minute trip to Chicago for the Bears vs. Broncos game (was a great experience and I had forgotten just how beautiful the city was).  My wife decided that she wanted my kids first football game to be at Soldier Field (to which a few hours later I said - guess what, Southwest has a special and I booked us all a  flight :).  

Hoping at the very least we see some real good offensive play and would be great to see a continued trend of strong and improving defense. In particular - they just seem hungry and fast to the ball, despite lacking talent on the line, in particular the edges.  But I have loved the growth since Eberflus has taken over. I go back to - I like Flus a TON as a DC.  

4 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I get we  still are losers and  then people want to trade young players that could be part of the core. Poles will have to start winning next year so sign Billings, JJ, and Mooney and build the core up. Getting late round picks for core players is stupid, its time to start rolling forward and forget the losing streak. Once our OL is back from injuries, it will be one of strength instead of a problem. I suspect Whitehair sits and Jenkins and Davis will be the starters. They are more physical beasts. Having Carter and Whitehir as backups is what good depth looks like. We are a swing OT away from a top 10 OL. 

Pound the ball, win the takeover game and we are going to win more games than we lose.

Mooney is the only one I debate on.  I like Mooney a lot, but it all depends on what he wants to get paid, because if the Bears have a young QB, I would almost prefer just spending money on another elite wideout (Higgins or whatever) and than having those 2, Scott and draft another guy and than add a TE.  You can afford it during that window. I don't love paying Mooney 12M per season given what we have seen (and I'm a HUGE Mooney fan).  

Johnson - if he shows he can stay healthy - I think he's worth it. And Billings is playing good and shouldn't cost a ton so extending him a couple years makes total sense. Just a solid glue guy.  

41 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Mooney is the only one I debate on.  I like Mooney a lot, but it all depends on what he wants to get paid, because if the Bears have a young QB, I would almost prefer just spending money on another elite wideout (Higgins or whatever) and than having those 2, Scott and draft another guy and than add a TE.  You can afford it during that window. I don't love paying Mooney 12M per season given what we have seen (and I'm a HUGE Mooney fan).  

Johnson - if he shows he can stay healthy - I think he's worth it. And Billings is playing good and shouldn't cost a ton so extending him a couple years makes total sense. Just a solid glue guy.  

Poles isnt going to overpay anyone. I think he has already showed he fixes values and doesnt go over that. Mooney is capable of much better play and probably be gotten on a deal because of a lack of production this year. JJ doesnt deserve top money but just below that. 3 ints in 4 yrs aint getting you top 10 money. OTC player value for Billings is 5.6 mil so that wouldnt be a big contract.

10 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

My son and I will be there.  Will be our 2nd game of the season (after no games in a few years).  Got to take my kids for a quick last minute trip to Chicago for the Bears vs. Broncos game (was a great experience and I had forgotten just how beautiful the city was).  My wife decided that she wanted my kids first football game to be at Soldier Field (to which a few hours later I said - guess what, Southwest has a special and I booked us all a  flight :).  

Hoping at the very least we see some real good offensive play and would be great to see a continued trend of strong and improving defense. In particular - they just seem hungry and fast to the ball, despite lacking talent on the line, in particular the edges.  But I have loved the growth since Eberflus has taken over. I go back to - I like Flus a TON as a DC.  

Very cool. Now the Bears need to get your son a win after what they did in the 2nd half against Denver.

Part of the defensive improvement has been due to Gordon coming back, and Brisker and Stevenson playing better. The LBs seem to be finding their niche, and our young DTs are slowly improving. Now if our Edges could get going, we would be set.

The Chargers have the worst passing defense in the league and #1 WRs torch them. I expect Moore to have a big day. If Bagent plays mistake free football, this team will be a tough out, especially with how good the running game has been lately. Now we get Foreman + Johnson for the first time. Secretly, this is the pairing I wanted from Day 1. 

Ekeler scares me, especially with screens out of the backfield. Besides him, Allen is great, but the CBs have been keeping WR1s in check. 

I am going to go Bears 27-24 on a late Carlos Santos FG for the win.

• adam featured and pinned this topic
59 minutes ago, adam said:

Very cool. Now the Bears need to get your son a win after what they did in the 2nd half against Denver.

Part of the defensive improvement has been due to Gordon coming back, and Brisker and Stevenson playing better. The LBs seem to be finding their niche, and our young DTs are slowly improving. Now if our Edges could get going, we would be set.

The Chargers have the worst passing defense in the league and #1 WRs torch them. I expect Moore to have a big day. If Bagent plays mistake free football, this team will be a tough out, especially with how good the running game has been lately. Now we get Foreman + Johnson for the first time. Secretly, this is the pairing I wanted from Day 1. 

Ekeler scares me, especially with screens out of the backfield. Besides him, Allen is great, but the CBs have been keeping WR1s in check. 

Their going to score points, we just have to keep up? Play action and pounding the ball will do us well. If we don't turn the ball over, we have a chance to win this game.

16 hours ago, adam said:

In fairness - the Chargers have an elite pass rush and they have had an incredibly difficult schedule, so I think there defense metrics are not necessarily reflect of their actual skill level.  I would love to see Bears pull it out driven by Bagent and the offense playing great and defense continuing to play well.  

1 hour ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

In fairness - the Chargers have an elite pass rush and they have had an incredibly difficult schedule, so I think there defense metrics are not necessarily reflect of their actual skill level.  I would love to see Bears pull it out driven by Bagent and the offense playing great and defense continuing to play well.  

Mack has 7 sacks but 6 were in one game. 1 in 5 games isnt star like. They have  given up tons of points and have a losing record. Something doesnt add up.

Against similar opponents they are 2-1.  Beat the Vikings by 4, the Raiders by 7 (against O’Connell as the QB) and lost to KC by 14 last week. 

I think their defense is similar in some regards as are/were the Commanders.  Strong pass rush (Mack and Bosa) and ok d-line; Williams with 12 tackles and 1 sack, Joseph-Day with 15 tackles and 2 sacks and Johnson with 12 tackles and 0 sacks.  Their interior Lbs (Kendrick’s and Murray Jr) have 73 tackles and 2 sacks and 1 INT between them (Edwards and Edmunds have 134 tackles, 2 sacks and 2 ints between them).  

The Chargers pass defense is ranked #32 and their rush D is ranked #10.  Id think if they play a similar game plan as they did against Washington then the Bears can win.  Question will be whether Bagent will be able to throw accurately 20 yards or more and have time to do it? 

https://www.foxsports.com/articles/nfl/2023-nfl-defense-rankings-team-pass-and-rush-stats

Refs don't waste time screwing the Bears on national TV, they did it on the first play of the game.

Mooney catches a great deep ball from Bagent for 41 yards, he fell down catching it but was untouched when he caught the ball, he got up and started running for an easy TD and they blew the play dead again (just like the Moore play). Then the offense goes nowhere and they punt. 

Then on defense, the defense is too bendy and lets up an easy TD drive for LAC.

1 minute ago, BearFan PHX said:

Velus Jones is a constant mistake waiting to happen, Kmet needs to know where he is on the field and the situation, and Patrick ugh.

Nice to see Bagent open with a good long ball.

Velus is such a waste of a draft pick/roster spot. Taylor can easily fill in for whatever Velus brings to the table. 

Yeah, come on Kmet, that was a great play by Bagent, and Kmet runs short of the sticks on an out route? Come on dude.

Both of those calls on Patrick were ticky tack, and are borderline calls. 

The defense looks like hot garbage, Herbert does not have an incompletion. Embarrassing performance so far. Every level is getting beat on defense, no pressure up front, LBs leaving too much space on Ekeler and underneath, CBs playing soft, and Safeties non-existent so far. Just an all around terrible start for the defense.

• adam unpinned and unfeatured this topic