Wk 8 Game Thread: Bears @ Chargers

AZ54

45 minutes ago, adam said:

Velus is such a waste of a draft pick/roster spot. Taylor can easily fill in for whatever Velus brings to the table.

Despite an easy TD that he (Jones) managed to flub, Bagent stayed composed and drives down for a nice TD.  

I was hoping Jones would work out but looks like another miss from Poles.  So far Scott has proven he’s earned a spot and ‘yes’ I’d agree with seeing what Taylor can do from here on out.  

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Bagent looking a bit sloppy out there.  Last two throws were too lolly-gaggy, one of which resulted in an INT. 

Yeah, not much separation tonight, and absolutely no one helping him out. Too many drops. If I am throwing up a contested ball, it needs to go to Moore, not Mooney. Mooney needs to catch that but he has not been the same since the injury. If they can trade him for anything, I would pull the trigger. 

Bagent has looked good for his 2nd start as a D2 rookie, but he would need the rest of the season to really assess him, but that ain't happening. I am sure Fields will come back for the Saints game. Bagent's 232 passing yards would be the 6th highest of Fields career in 31 starts. That's pretty crazy. 

The refs did not help in this game either, they never called anything on the Chargers. Nothing new for the Bears, but it really makes it an impossible task to comeback when the refs are calling everything on you and nothing on the other team. This really makes me not want to watch these games. 

Bears back to having the 1st and 3rd pick. 

Flus needs to go, worst defensive performance in a long time. He used zero timeouts the entire game. Tried an onside kick, then didnt call a timeout when LAC was running the ball. Then took a knee when they got the ball back. That is the perfect time to get young guys some reps. I am so done with Flus.

Velus needs to be cut. Worthless. Drops a TD that could've swayed the momentum.

• adam unpinned and unfeatured this topic

I'll just state from my vantage point in the stadium - there were some plays that Bagent didn't see. I felt like I was watching the All-22 cam from my seats up a top. But on the play to Jones - yes, Jones should have caught it, but it was SEVERELY underthrown.  Like a dead wobbling duck throw. There were a few others like that, where you just wonder and go hmmm....this arm is not consistent.  

The Mooney throw was perfect, but there were definitely plays to be had. Doesn't help how many negative plays / penalties the team had, especially in the first half.  Can't overcome that with a backup QB in - especially not when you are running a largely check-down offense.  I also didn't see Bagent use the middle of the field a ton - maybe by design.  Not a horrible performance by Bagent - especially not when you consider 2nd NFL start. I go back to - he's clearly an NFL back-up (as a floor).  

1 hour ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I also didn't see Bagent use the middle of the field a ton - maybe by design.  Not a horrible performance by Bagent - especially not when you consider 2nd NFL start. I go back to - he's clearly an NFL back-up (as a floor).  

Toward the end of game the announcers said LA was clogging middle and forcing those perimeter throws. And agree, 2nd NFL start and he did not crap the bed like some past excuses we've had for many years. 

7 hours ago, ChileBear said:

Toward the end of game the announcers said LA was clogging middle and forcing those perimeter throws. And agree, 2nd NFL start and he did not crap the bed like some past excuses we've had for many years. 

I agree he stayed composed for the most part for his first road game.  We can see the arm strength limitations but OTOH he has enough arm strength to make it in the NFL.  Certainly as a career backup QB.  Maybe his ceiling is as a fringe starter like JimmyG?   

I was most disappointed in the defense and all the missed tackles.  Everyone wants to blame coaches but players were in position to make those tackles, and the coaches job is to get them in the right spot.   They righted the ship in the 2nd half but it was too late.  Losing Brisker, who I think had been playing very good lately, was like losing the glue that held things together.    With Brisker taking care of business closer to the LOS we can get by with Hicks on the field.   There is no safety depth behind him.

24 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

We can see the arm strength limitations but OTOH he has enough arm strength to make it in the NFL.  Certainly as a career backup QB.  Maybe his ceiling is as a fringe starter like JimmyG?  

I think this is right where his ceiling is right now. I have read that it is possible to increase arm strength, but I have no info about that or how likely it is.