Montez Sweat for a 2024 2nd round pick

Stinger226

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am torn on if this means anything for Fields. My first thought on this was if the Bears were willing to lock in another long term contract for big money, this leads me to believe that they already made their mind up on Fields. If they where going to keep him, they would not be signing any big long term deals.

On the flip side, they did front load the deal and only signed Billings to 2 years, which would be the end of Fields 5th year. 

So it seems like Poles did it again. He has signed quality players while also hedging his bet on Fields. This could mean they could still draft a QB and keep Fields for next year.

I tink he just keeps building the roster and will let the QB situation play itself out. He has set it up to draft a QB if Fields fails. I do think he will make moves that allow him to win in 2024. You only get so long to do your job before it comes back on Poles. He has a chance to add several blue chip players in this draft. It would work out better if one of them wasn't a QB but not sure he knows that yet.

6 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

It means nothing in regards to Fields.

That's how I see it.  There is plenty of cap space in the future for any QB we want to pay.  Finding that QB might be a challenge but hopefully we see enough signs from Justin that we know we can win with him.     

I thought Sweat played well.  Later in the game he saved one TD with his hustle play chasing down a RB from behind.  That was after starting on the opposite side of the play.  

Consider his week started with a trade then a flight to Chicago.  Having to spend time figuring out where to live. New playbook.  New teammates.  Get mega rich which, if it were me, I would want to celebrate with a great bottle of scotch. Still living out of a suitcase then a flight to New Orleans.

Now he has a short week to get ready for Carolina.   We’ll see him at full strength after the 10 day break.