Montez Sweat for a 2024 2nd round pick

Stinger226

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

All statements are true. If you look at the FA edge players only D. Hunter is of the same quality as Sweat .Young is available but he brings injury and attitude baggage. Then the talent takes a deep drive. In the draft only the high picks will bring you a quality prospect at edge. I think they want to use those picks for best player available, Harrison, Bowers, OT, QB plus I think they had intended on FA and as will as in the draft. This gives them flexibility. If Braxton  Jones comes back and plays well, I expect them to draft a swing T but not in the first round. If Braxton struggles then it turns to OT with a high pick. Just lots of question marks that the rest of the season with define better for us. Poles probably got the best FA edge last year in Nagakoue but we just need more to build the DL. 

The commanders didnt make Sweat available until the last minute because they werent getting a lot of value with Young. A third from SF is virtually a high 4th round pick. They would not let people talk to Sweat early to work out a deal ahead of time because they didnt intend to trade him. Tampering brings lost draft capital. Poles just took the risk but I like he is more of a gambler. Some times you win and sometimes you lose.

On our side this could also be Poles deciding he needs his 1st Rd picks to select a QB.  Get DE out of the way now because he'd never get similar talent with his 2nd Rd pick.  I doubt that is his logic because if you want one of the top 2 QBs you keep all draft picks for the potential trade up.   OTOH he when asked about the QBs yesterday he was very vague and really didn't answer the question.  

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

On our side this could also be Poles deciding he needs his 1st Rd picks to select a QB.  Get DE out of the way now because he'd never get similar talent with his 2nd Rd pick.  I doubt that is his logic because if you want one of the top 2 QBs you keep all draft picks for the potential trade up.   OTOH he when asked about the QBs yesterday he was very vague and really didn't answer the question.  

I expect us to win 4-5 more games this year. That would put us picking from 7-13. I expect  Carolina  picking 1-5 . Where we pick will be huge as to who we draft. If we go QB, we may have to trade both our top 2 picks to move to one or two. Everyone  of the worst teams probably pick a QB so we may not get one of the top 2. So JJ McCarthy around our pick (7-13)? The rest of the year will plan our future going forward as far as who we draft. 

Top 5 as a pass rusher off the edge? No, IMO. Although he is just entering his prime. However, I feel if you take everything into consideration ((Sacks, Hits, Pressures, TFL, Run Defense, Locker room presence, Durability (only missing 6 games in 4 yrs due to a broken jaw), etc...)) he could be a top 5. We knew he'd be an expensive player to extend. No way we could allow him to leave after this year after giving up a 2nd round pick. Eventually we have to pay blue chip players if we ever want to assemble a lineup that not only looks good on paper, but produces on the field.

15 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I bet he is fuming right now.  He is a good player and I would hate to lose him.  His play should elevate with the stronger pass rush.

They interviewed him after the trade deadline.  He essentially said he'd understand why, but wouldn't be happy if Sweat got paid before him.  Especially, Poles saying they'll take care of their own first.

16 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I bet he is fuming right now.  He is a good player and I would hate to lose him.  His play should elevate with the stronger pass rush.

This frees up the franchise tag to use if he refuses to sign a reasonable contract. Give him an incentive laden contract and make him earn the difference between what Poles is offering and what he "THINKS" he is worth.

Maybe 17 M + 1 M is he makes 1st ballot pro bowl, 2 M if he makes 1st ballot all pro.

I think he would fall short of both, but if he earned those incentives, he would deserve the $$$.

32 minutes ago, Pixote said:

This frees up the franchise tag to use if he refuses to sign a reasonable contract. Give him an incentive laden contract and make him earn the difference between what Poles is offering and what he "THINKS" he is worth.

Maybe 17 M + 1 M is he makes 1st ballot pro bowl, 2 M if he makes 1st ballot all pro.

I think he would fall short of both, but if he earned those incentives, he would deserve the $$$.

I think 17 is what the transition tag would be. Sweat is better than Gary and as soon as Gary signed a 96 for 4 yrs, it had to beat that. Sweat isnt top 5 but arguably around 10 as an edge. We had to get a pass rusher and Sweat should make Ngakoue better. Poles needed to see what Flus can do with a more complete D as to whether to fire him or not.

31 minutes ago, adam said:

Totally fine with the contract. I am glad we got Sweat and Billings locked in.

By next offseason, it will only be a top 10 contract. 

I think that is one reason why JJ wants what he does.  He knows 2 years from signing and the defense adding talent, he will eventually be under paid at 13-15 a year. It's a tough balanc for a gm to figure all the costs now and in the future 

2 hours ago, Pixote said:

Give him an incentive laden contract and make him earn the difference between what Poles is offering and what he "THINKS" he is worth.

Right now he’s showing 4 passes defensed (Stevenson has 5), 2 INTS (he leads the team over players like Sanborn and Edmunds who have one each) and has 15 solo tackles (which is about average for the team but far less than Stevenson who has 37).  Add in that he’s started in 6 of the 8 games available.

If he wants big money he needs to prove it.  He may have been able to use the excuse that the front seven don’t apply enough pressure but I think now with Ngoukue and Sweat in the lineup, he’s going to have an opportunity to shine better and prove his overall worth to the team. 

11 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Right now he’s showing 4 passes defensed (Stevenson has 5), 2 INTS (he leads the team over players like Sanborn and Edmunds who have one each) and has 15 solo tackles (which is about average for the team but far less than Stevenson who has 37).  Add in that he’s started in 6 of the 8 games available.

If he wants big money he needs to prove it.  He may have been able to use the excuse that the front seven don’t apply enough pressure but I think now with Ngoukue and Sweat in the lineup, he’s going to have an opportunity to shine better and prove his overall worth to the team. 

Every says he needs stats like ints, tackles etc, but if they don't throw his way because he is a blanket, what is he to do?  He shuts down his side of the field.

Oct 24, 2023Bears CB Jaylon Johnson now has the highest coverage grade at the position thru Week 7 (min. 100 snaps) with an 88.1 mark - 43.5% completion rate allowed is 4th - 0.66 yards per coverage snap is t-8th 

2 minutes ago, adam said:

One little side note on this trade and deal. This is the 2nd impact player Poles has traded for in the last year with DJ Moore. With most teams only improving thru the draft and free agency, this seems like bonus moves. 

It's a great move. In the long run we will want to be building thru the draft, but having gotten rid of the previous roster and with having so much cap space, these are the right moves to make for now. And Im with you, DJ Moore and Montez Sweat, that's some good stuff right there.

We need a QB :)

1 hour ago, adam said:

One little side note on this trade and deal. This is the 2nd impact player Poles has traded for in the last year with DJ Moore. With most teams only improving thru the draft and free agency, this seems like bonus moves. 

And if you consider he’s also a 1st round pick that has been productive since then (and on his rookie contract) I don’t think trading a second for him was a waste at all.