Week 11 Official Game Thread - Bears @ Lions, Sunday, 11-19, 12pm, FOX Bears -10, O/U 47

adam

27 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

It is possible that Poles has already determined that Flus is gone, but just doesn't see any benefit of bringing someone else in as a caretaker since there is no DC and the OC is worse than the HC.

So while it is bad enough to have reached the decision point to fire him, it might make sense to wait for the end of the season to do it?

If that is the case, there is no reason to keep him. Why not evaluate other guys for the position?

Ultimately you need a defensive positional coach to move up to be the DC play caller, and then you could have Getsy be the HC and OC. 

I just think by keeping him, you are accepting the state of the team and not demanding more. Losing is normal.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

It is possible that Poles has already determined that Flus is gone, but just doesn't see any benefit of bringing someone else in as a caretaker since there is no DC and the OC is worse than the HC.

So while it is bad enough to have reached the decision point to fire him, it might make sense to wait for the end of the season to do it?

That very well could be.  One could argue at this point would firing this staff right now be more about reacting to fan outcry or making the team better.  We all know the product on the field is unacceptable. If Poles doesn’t see that then we have more issues than coaching.  

This one was hard to take. We were 3-7 on the road facing one of the top teams in the NFC at 7-3.  With three minutes left we had them on the ropes.  This is a game of momentum. Up by 12 we let them march right down and score in less than a min because we went into a soft D.  We then compound it by playing ultra conservative on offense running straight int a stacked box twice forcing a throw on 3rd we’re Scott quit on his route. Only chewing like 30 seconds off the clock.  We again play prevent D and let them move right down the field.  What’s worse is that we had 3 time outs in our pockets and we let them drive for the game winning TD and milk the clock. We didn’t call our first time out till there was 26 seconds left.  What’s the point? Did he not realize the time was ticking.  Fields was put in a bad spot. 

4 hours ago, adam said:

If you had to evaluate Fields in a vacuum with this horrible coaching staff, I think he passed his first of 7 tests today. He did enough to win and they took the ball out of his hands when it mattered the most. The safety at the end was meaningless to me. 

Fields played well today. In fact whole team looked good in general. Coaching staff did not. This is 3 out of 4 above average games from Fields. Now let’s get some wins Justin! 

1 minute ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Fields played well today. In fact whole team looked good in general. Coaching staff did not. This is 3 out of 4 above average games from Fields. Now let’s get some wins Justin! 

Yeah, you couldn't watch that game and not chose Fields over Goff.   If Scott doesn't quit on that last route the entire narrative changes.  If Jaylon Johnson could catch a ball that hits his hands the entire narrative changes.  

1 hour ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I am not sold on the defense just yet. 4 TD drives allowed, 3 over 70 yards under 2 mins each. If they don't get those INTs, they probably allow at least 6 TDs. 

This team isn't there yet. They showed they can dominate a good team and then tripped over themselves. I never heard anybody say we could beat Detroit so the fact they were this close to smacking them is progress. Better coaching could have sealed the game and they screwed it up. Firing them now with no one in place to take over that's in the room would not work. Is Jeff Saturday working right now ? Fields played well but the play calling let him down. Is he THE QB? Put the ball in his hands instead of 2 running plays into a 9 man  box and you may find out. 

35 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

This team isn't there yet. They showed they can dominate a good team and then tripped over themselves. I never heard anybody say we could beat Detroit so the fact they were this close to smacking them is progress. Better coaching could have sealed the game and they screwed it up. Firing them now with no one in place to take over that's in the room would not work. Is Jeff Saturday working right now ? Fields played well but the play calling let him down. Is he THE QB? Put the ball in his hands instead of 2 running plays into a 9 man  box and you may find out. 

I'm with you.  The defense really screwed us when Flus went to the prevent. Those runs into the heavy box were stupid.  Flus blamed Fields for not choosing to pull the ball and take it outside.  But, if it didn't work the first time, why run that crap again?  Also, on the pass to the rookie, why is Mooney not running that route?

10 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

If I had to guess it was probably related to his near tussle with Anzalone the play before. They were mixing it up after Anzalone pushed Justin down while he was going out of bounds.   

The “fuc#ing couldn’t see” comment was interesting as he was leaving the field .

Looks like Jones had to sit out due to some concussion protocol.  Medical observer saw something he didnt like His saying ‘he couldn’t see anything’ may have been a part of it.

In other news, he showed some hustle here getting after the safety.  https://x.com/imbearingdown/status/1726401579748585973?s=46&t=KrpJmhSTc4DI1sACtjisOQ

Of all the losses, this one takes the cake. Historic choke job + missed opportunity to win 2 in a row for first time under Poles/Flus + huge tone setter for remainder of year + Fields would be getting praise for win. 

On defense, they need more than just some DL help. Eddie Jackson is done. He does nothing but run around in the secondary. Tremaine Edmunds signing was a mistake. The good thing is you can safely cut him after 2024.

I would honestly consider cutting Nate Davis and taking a $11M dead money cap hit next season. Otherwise, you can safely cut him after 2024 like Edmunds. Both whiffs by Poles there. It just goes to show you, you can't pour big money into FAs, they rarely work out anymore. Trade and extend (like Sweat) or resign your own guys.

1 hour ago, adam said:

Of all the losses, this one takes the cake. Historic choke job + missed opportunity to win 2 in a row for first time under Poles/Flus + huge tone setter for remainder of year + Fields would be getting praise for win. 

On defense, they need more than just some DL help. Eddie Jackson is done. He does nothing but run around in the secondary. Tremaine Edmunds signing was a mistake. The good thing is you can safely cut him after 2024.

I would honestly consider cutting Nate Davis and taking a $11M dead money cap hit next season. Otherwise, you can safely cut him after 2024 like Edmunds. Both whiffs by Poles there. It just goes to show you, you can't pour big money into FAs, they rarely work out anymore. Trade and extend (like Sweat) or resign your own guys.

Yes its a get fired type of loss for Flus. Agree, Jackson will be gone( another hole to fill in the draft) but as much as your over paid for Edmunds, he's not a bad player. If the argument is Roquan or Edmunds, you have to figure in Edwards , who is literally playing better than Roquan. Nate Davis is not a bad player, his off field problems affected his start to the season that now playing again.  is Jenkins better, yes but he still has injury concerns that is not past him yet. 

I want to see what Poles is building , not 1 and a  half yrs into the rebuild but after yr 3 of which he stated when he started. I dont agree with everything he's done but we just dominated a good team in their house for 55 minutes. Now we just have to learn to finish games. 

2 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I’d be ok if they decided to leave Feeney in for the remainder of the season.  Provided he gets more prep time.

IMG_5954.jpeg

Braxton Jones needs to work on his squats and deadlifts in the off season.  Nate Davis simply needs to train.  Both of those guys were moving backward a lot in passed pro. Feeney came in and did OK,  after the snap count issues, but was also giving ground.  Darnell Wright had the most pressures.  I can assure all that he had a solid game.  Hutchinson was in a bar fight all game against him.  Going forward, we need a new center that can hold his ground and Jones needs upgraded. 

52 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Braxton Jones needs to written on his squats and deadlifts in the off season.   Nate Davis simply needs to train.  Both of those guys were moving backward a lot in passed pro. Feeney came in and did OK,  after the snap count issues, but was also giving ground.  Darnell Wright had the most pressures.  I can assure all that he had a solid game.  Hutchinson was in a bar fight all game against him.  Going forward, we need a new center that can hold his ground and Jones needs upgraded. 

Jones needs to work on form, stands up too straight for my liking. 

Seeing what the Packers did on Thursday makes this loss even worse. 

The Lions had 464 yards on offense and lost by 7 (scored a late TD to make it closer).  Against the Bears, they had 338 yards and won by 9. In both games the Lions lost the turnover battle by 3. 

The games were very similar outside of the epic collapse. GB didn't score in the 4th quarter. In two drives when they had a 2-score lead, GB had a 5 play, 13 yard drive for a punt, then followed it up with a 6 play drive for another punt, using only 5 mins off the clock. The Bears had 3 drives in the 4th quarter and burned 12 minutes off the clock while scoring 2x FGs. The Bears defensive collapse was legendary.

On 11/20/2023 at 4:10 AM, adam said:

I totally disagree on Davis, he's playing some good football.  I'd like to see the game film you have showing him to be so bad.  I just watched the Football Scout's breakdown of the Detroit game and he looked pretty good. 

If you need $11mil cut Whitehair and Eddie Jackson.  That'll get you $20mil.  

4 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

I totally disagree on Davis, he's playing some good football.  I'd like to see the game film you have showing him to be so bad.  I just watched the Football Scout's breakdown of the Detroit game and he looked pretty good. 

Davis is fine to hold the position.  The Bears can look to draft an upgrade and let him grow for a season before playing.  They have Carter, but I don't see him being a high quality player.  

Something is up with Edmund's, he is not 100% healthy.  I think he will be a better player and worth seeing it thru. 

36 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Here is one, but there were a few like this. He let up one of the two sacks as well. Again availability is your best ability and this guy has been AWOL for a bunch of time in the offseason, then in the regular season, then an injury. I understand personal issues that may cause people to be unavailable, but he has missed 6 games, played in 5, and in one those only played 10 snaps. So the Bears are paying him a full salary for 37% of the usage. That is terribly inefficient use of the cap. He was a red flag out of TEN and was the exact same player for the Bears. So he is not trending in the right direction for me.

4 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I know Wright wore Hutchinson out.  They went at it all game long. 

and ole Aidan didn't do anything against GB. His is a high motor guy that never stops, which is when he wins. However, that is like a sprinter trying to win a 5K run. That's great that you can get out to a super fast start, but if it is unsustainable where you have to then run super slow to finish, at the end you just look like a big idiot.

No  olineman  Edis perfect, Davis played well against Detroit. Can't say much about missing time, his non that lived with him, was dying. Family comes first. So he didn't get up to speed in training camp and had injuries because of it. It just played out that way. As AZ showed , The Football Scout showed a lot of good tape on him. 

13 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

No  olineman  Edis perfect, Davis played well against Detroit. Can't say much about missing time, his non that lived with him, was dying. Family comes first. So he didn't get up to speed in training camp and had injuries because of it. It just played out that way. As AZ showed , The Football Scout showed a lot of good tape on him. 

Oh sure, I can agree with that. I am just saying as of today, if you had to make a decision, I would be leaning towards replacing him. A 3rd round rookie would be comparable and cost a lot less. Now if he plays the remainders of the season and lives up to his cap hit, then fine, keep him, no need to create another hole, but right now he is teetering for me.

2 hours ago, adam said:

Oh sure, I can agree with that. I am just saying as of today, if you had to make a decision, I would be leaning towards replacing him. A 3rd round rookie would be comparable and cost a lot less. Now if he plays the remainders of the season and lives up to his cap hit, then fine, keep him, no need to create another hole, but right now he is teetering for me.

I dunno.

On your side of the argument, Davis missed a lot of time, and that film clip was surely an ugly rep for Davis.

On the other hand, Davis has been mauling people a lot this year in the run game, and i think he's a pretty good player. I dont think his mom is gonna die again, so hopefully that's a unique situation that wont be repeated. he isnt known to be injured a lot in his career.

2 hours ago, adam said:

Oh sure, I can agree with that. I am just saying as of today, if you had to make a decision, I would be leaning towards replacing him. A 3rd round rookie would be comparable and cost a lot less.

As of now, we aren't in a position to be replacing starters, since our depth is so shallow.  Whitehair is already there, next should be center.  After that, let them get some continuity.