Week 11 Official Game Thread - Bears @ Lions, Sunday, 11-19, 12pm, FOX Bears -10, O/U 47

adam

Detroit coming back home after a last second win against the Chargers. 

Detroit has beat up on losing teams, and the Bears are a losing team. Outside of Fields coming back and playing lights out and the defense playing as good as they did against the Panthers, this one looks like it will be an ugly loss. 34-16. 

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, adam said:

Detroit coming back home after a last second win against the Chargers.

Detroit made some significant halftime adjustments yesterday.  It was actually cool to see a team effectively do that . After pinning 175 rushing yards on the Chargers in the first half the Lions’ well ran dry and they asked Goff to do more with passing. It is incredible how accurate (see dangerous) he is when given time.  They also used ESBs brother Amon in some gimmick plays (reverse jet sweeps and the like) and were matching Herbert TD for TD.  

Although LAs defense was ranked in the top 5 against the run (before yesterday) the Bears are still there and are getting help from the defensive backfield. I’d have to think with the improved pass rush (3 sacks, 9 QB rushes and 6 tackles for loss last week) Montez Sweat and crew will be on a mission to hurry Goff. I’m not confident of a win but I don’t know that it’ll be a blowout. For me the big key will to see Justin continue to play solid. 

I would be curious to what people think about the two rosters. At what positions are the Lions better than the Bears? Right now, it seems like it would be the OL and DL. Outside of those two position groups, there is not a huge talent gap between the teams. In some cases, you could make a case for the Bears to have the better position group. On the OL, the Bears have two holes, Whitehair and Patrick. On the DL, it seems like it is a weakness at one Edge and one interior position. So out of 22 starting spots, the Bears are clearly inferior in 4 positions. That is not much considering how much different the performance has been on the season.

2 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

QB

Goff? Like other QBs, he is great when there is no pressure, but if pressured, he is terrible. If an offensive mastermind trades you for another QB, you are the problem. Rams couldn't win with him and had to go to Stafford to get over the hump. Detroit is winning with Goff, not because of him. They beat KC opening day and have not beaten a winning team since.

So I would not call the QB position a huge win for Detroit. I would take Fields over Goff.

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

100%  He was one missed pass from winning the Superbowl.  Justin would've not even seen the guy.

Mongo, come on man. Goff was 19-38, 50%, 229 yds with an INT and no TDs for a 57.9 QB Rating in that game and they scored a total of 3 pts. 

He has played in 6 playoff games, his passing yards are 259, 186, 297, 229, 155, and 174, a 216 yards per game average, like 50+ yards less than his regular season average. In those 6 games, he has never had more than 1 TD. He is one of the more overrated QBs in the league. He is something like 4-11-1 when he is sacked 4 or more times. 

42 minutes ago, adam said:

He is one of the more overrated QBs in the league. He is something like 4-11-1 when he is sacked 4 or more times. 

And what is Justin?  Oh, and what is Justin again?  You are trying to turn a battleship with a squirt gun in this argument.

2,507 yd, 14 td, 5 int, 99.1 rat

1,201 yd, 11 td, 6 int, 91.6 rat

Which stat line do you like?  Do you want the wins and losses?

I'm dying to be wrong about Fields...

Jared Goff has thrown for 4600+ yards twice in his career and is on track to do it a 3rd time this year.  He also has thrown 28 or more touchdowns 3 times in his career and is roughly on track to do it a 4th time this year.  

Justin Fields through for just over 2000 yards in his 2nd season...Goff through for 3800 and 28 TD's in that year. I get it - team blah blah blah. Jared Goff is a really good QB, clearly top 10. Whether Rams moved on or not - they did, but Goff had been a huge part of getting to the Superbowl and getting deep into playoffs during his Rams career.  If Jared Goff was on the Bears his whole career to this point - he would be #1 in every meaningful statistic out there.  

For anyone saying Fields is on the same level as Goff - its absolutely laughable. And don't tell me about system and talent and blah blah blah.  The Texans QB is doing just great with a patch work oline and barely any offensive weapons.  We as Bear fans like to make excuses for QB's - but you know what, no excuses, put up or shut up time for Fields this year. Either he does or doesn't - coaching, scheme, oline, blah blah blah. Do those things matter, yes, but a really good QB will overcome it enough and show you those skills.  Fields has flashed it - I'll give him that, but currently he isn't on the same hemisphere as Jared Goff from a performance perspective.  

It sounds like Davis is coming back.  I'm not sure about Edmunds.  If he does and Fields is out there this will be our first look at this team as it was planned in the offseason.   I have no clue what that means for game day but I'm looking forward to seeing it play out.  

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

It sounds like Davis is coming back.  I'm not sure about Edmunds.  If he does and Fields is out there this will be our first look at this team as it was planned in the offseason.   I have no clue what that means for game day but I'm looking forward to seeing it play out.  

me too. I still don't think it will be enough to beat the Lions, but it will be good to see what the plan was. Thats if they have the balls to actually open it up and show the plan instead of trying to micromanage a win from the sidelines.

2 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I'm not sure about Edmunds. 

FWIW I'm hoping to see more of Sanborn in the middle for a bit longer, and I like Edmunds.  If we need pressure on Goff this next weekend that (and Sweat) is where it'll come from.  I am curious to see how Sewell fits into the defense.  He is listed as the #2 behind Sanborn at his position so they must like the NB option over having Sewell play right now.  

25 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

FWIW I'm hoping to see more of Sanborn in the middle for a bit longer, and I like Edmunds.  If we need pressure on Goff this next weekend that (and Sweat) is where it'll come from.  I am curious to see how Sewell fits into the defense.  He is listed as the #2 behind Sanborn at his position so they must like the NB option over having Sewell play right now.  

yes, i think Sanborn is a really great player, but he cant really run with receivers or fast TEs. He's OK in zone, but in man he will be exposed, and that means no blitzing, unless it's him that blitzes. he reminds me of Hunter Hillenmeyer or Nick Kwiatkowsi - all tough nosed competitors, and all a step too slow.

He can play SLB, but I definitely see him coming out in Nickel.

The other question will be if or when Sewell is ready to challenge him?

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Sewell still has some questions but if he came out a year  earlier many draftniks said he would be a top 15 pick. He had 115 Ts, 8.5 TFL. 4 sacks.1 Int , 5 PDs and 2 FFs. as a LB

48 minutes ago, Pixote said:

Didn't realize this until I read it on NFL.com:

Could be a good game for Fields to return.

If Fields can do a better job of reading the defense and playing with tempo he could be a very good quarterback. We should have enough weapons now that someone is open on any given play. So it's up to Justin to find those opportunities and rip the ball out quickly.

The Lions will offer opportunities, and the knock on Fields is that he reads to slow. So the way I see it, this is gonna be less about the Lions, or most opponents, and more just about how good Fields is making those choices correctly in rhythm.

So really this is gonna be all about Justin week in and week out, with the exception of a few really good defenses that harass all the QBs in the league regularly, he succeeds or fails on his own merits.

3 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

If Fields can do a better job of reading the defense and playing with tempo he could be a very good quarterback. We should have enough weapons now that someone is open on any given play. So it's up to Justin to find those opportunities and rip the ball out quickly.

The Lions will offer opportunities, and the knock on Fields is that he reads to slow. So the way I see it, this is gonna be less about the Lions, or most opponents, and more just about how good Fields is making those choices correctly in rhythm.

So really this is gonna be all about Justin week in and week out, with the exception of a few really good defenses that harass all the QBs in the league regularly, he succeeds or fails on his own merits.

The last 3 games before Fields got hurt, he led all NFL QBs with 120 passer rating. 

4 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

The last 3 games before Fields got hurt, he led all NFL QBs with 120 passer rating. 

still to the eye test, the ball wasn't coming out fast and confident. at least to my eye.

And I promise you, if Fields looks great I will be thrilled. I just dont think its going to happen enough to save him. I would love to be proven wrong, because if we have a great QB and two top ten draft picks that would be amazing. But at the same time I wont try to squint and convince myself Im seeing more than I am?

I get he has deficiencies but that doesn't mean he can't correct them. In the one game he threw 16 passes in a row, that can't be dismissed as luck. It would be different if he has never shown his upside but we have seen good games out of him. If you're doing the eye test on Josh Allen lately, you would question how good he is but we know what he is capable of. I'm hoping he does well and no question who our QB will be going forward but he needs consistency. He has 7 games to show it . It's easy to say a new QB will be better  but thats so hard to find these days. Trevor Lawrence was the last great thing and he hasn't passed the eye test yet.

9 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

still to the eye test, the ball wasn't coming out fast and confident. at least to my eye.

And I promise you, if Fields looks great I will be thrilled. I just dont think its going to happen enough to save him. I would love to be proven wrong, because if we have a great QB and two top ten draft picks that would be amazing. But at the same time I wont try to squint and convince myself Im seeing more than I am?

If he can return to those 3 games production wise, he would be a top 10 QB.  Yes, he needs to learn to be quicker in he progressions and not swing for homeruns. Maybe watching Bagent will help him there.