Week 14 Official Game Thread - DET @ CHI, SUN, 12/10, Noon, CHI +3, O/U 42

adam

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I was ready to fire Flus for his lack of balls in the first Lions game.  So glad to see him learning.  

If I recall there was a report after the last Detroit game that Poles allegedly had a discussion with Flus to use his star players more on defense (aka Sweatt) as he had some on a rotation that wasn’t working.  Got to think he also encouraged him to be more aggressive because of the players he got him to use in his defense.  

After the Minny game we saw Getsy do WAY too many screens and other ridiculous calls.   And I remember seeing Poles reacting in a way that made me think he wants the offense to run a little more free and speculated he may have a talk with the staff about that.  I think the offense worked a little more towards Justin’s strengths yesterday than before.  

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

If I recall there was a report after the last Detroit game that Poles allegedly had a discussion with Flus to use his star players more on defense (aka Sweatt) as he had some on a rotation that wasn’t working.  Got to think he also encouraged him to be more aggressive because of the players he got him to use in his defense.  

After the Minny game we saw Getsy do WAY too many screens and other ridiculous calls.   And I remember seeing Poles reacting in a way that made me think he wants the offense to run a little more free and speculated he may have a talk with the staff about that.  I think the offense worked a little more towards Justin’s strengths yesterday than before.  

Funny story - my 8 year old was calling run plays all game vs Lions. No joke he was right 90 percent of the time on run vs pass when it came to Bears. I’m fine supporting Flus, but Getsy is nothing special. With exception I like the screen game and run game he manages - but overall leaves a lot to be desired. 

1 hour ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Funny story - my 8 year old was calling run plays all game vs Lions. No joke he was right 90 percent of the time on run vs pass when it came to Bears. I’m fine supporting Flus, but Getsy is nothing special. With exception I like the screen game and run game he manages - but overall leaves a lot to be desired. 

What we’ve seen with Flus since he took over the D is better attention to detail.  IMO that is exactly what we are missing on offense.   

Using the WR screens or now routes as an example they just don’t get blocked well.   On a lot of those plays the numbers are there to get a good gain.  The most obvious one against Detroit was when Fields changed the  play and Kmet leaked out to block a Db.  Mooney blocked the same guy leaving  a DB to tackle Moore.  Is that on Getsy or the WR coach?   On the other hand I like what CMo has done with the Oline and I’d like to keep that together.  

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

This is a cool little ‘Next Gen Stats’ video.  Check out the ball placement Justin put on these, especially on the short routes. 😲🤩

https://youtu.be/m0ecU2ZNV4M?si=JaR6mNSpPGSXg4Qm

numbers 2 and 3 are my favorites.

Of course the TD to Moore was impressive, but Fields has always had a great arm, and he didnt have to worry on that "free" play.

The ball placement on 2 is great, but to me the really good one is #3, showing what I hadnt seen from him yet - the one across the middle to Moore.

Moore is NFL open, but he's not "wide open" hes just got body position, and Fields makes a FAST decision and puts the ball in just the right location. Any later would be too late.

The throw is great, but it was the speed with which he pulled the trigger that excites me the most. That looks like a real West Coast QB, and we hadnt really seen that yet.

If he can keep doing THAT, then he will be unstoppable.

It's just a flash, but it's everything I've been bitching about this whole time. Just a simple route across the middle, West Coast style. The kind of thing Joe Montana and Jerry Rice made a living on. It's not flashy, it wasnt a huge gain, but it was basic QBing ON TIME and with excellent location.

It's just one throw, just one game, Im not making any predictions, but for the record, that is what Ive been talking about. All the good NFL QBs do that.

You can rave about heroics, and big plays - highlight stuff, but football is mostly about moving the chains, and that on time throw was as dangerous (to the opponent!) as any of the wow plays.

If you can run the ball, and throw middle slants, you put the Linebackers into conflict, and when safeties come up to help, then that big stuff will be available much more easily.

It's that kind of throw, that if you can do it regularly, will open the flood gates on scoring.

5 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

This is a cool little ‘Next Gen Stats’ video.  Check out the ball placement Justin put on these, especially on the short routes. 😲🤩

https://youtu.be/m0ecU2ZNV4M?si=JaR6mNSpPGSXg4Qm

The problem is consistent play, he can do anything great QBs can do. My conclusion is, he's getting better. We always compare to the best case example, people develop at different levels. Justin just isn't the quick learner. My fear is we trade him and he does a Drew Brees type scenario. Went from SD to NO and became a HOFer.