Will Flus stay or go!

OmahaBear

I pray he stays. I do not want to start over again. This staff has shown they can develop young players. Poles is trying to build us a sustainable super bowl quality team by filling the roster with talented young men through the draft. Yes, both our HC & OC have had some issues, but this is the first year for both in their position. The strength of the locker room culture and the development of our players is of the utmost importance if we are going to climb out of this enormous sinkhole that has had Bear Fans frustrated for decades.

My guess, the week following the last game an announcement will be made. 🤞

He is staying. Out of Flus, Getsy, and Fields, Flus is the most likely to stay. The team's improvement from Week 1 until now is quite remarkable. 

The only fear I have is the trend of only beating teams with bad QBs. His wins this year have come against Howell, Hoyer, Young, Dobbs, Goff, Murray, and Heinicke. He has lost to Love, Mahomes, Wilson, Cousins, Herbert, Carr, Goff, and Flacco. This goes back to last year as well. 

An extension of that is beating good QBs on the road. A Flus team has yet to do that. He only has 3 road wins in the last 2 years total, and they were against Howell, Dobbs, and Zappe. That's it. The next step in this progression is beating a decent QB on the road, I would say, based on Love's stats this year, he qualifies. 

So a win against Love on Sunday would sort of break the trend. He would also get that elusive 3rd straight win. So there is a lot on the line.

2 hours ago, adam said:

He is staying. Out of Flus, Getsy, and Fields, Flus is the most likely to stay. The team's improvement from Week 1 until now is quite remarkable. 

The only fear I have is the trend of only beating teams with bad QBs. His wins this year have come against Howell, Hoyer, Young, Dobbs, Goff, Murray, and Heinicke. He has lost to Love, Mahomes, Wilson, Cousins, Herbert, Carr, Goff, and Flacco. This goes back to last year as well. 

An extension of that is beating good QBs on the road. A Flus team has yet to do that. He only has 3 road wins in the last 2 years total, and they were against Howell, Dobbs, and Zappe. That's it. The next step in this progression is beating a decent QB on the road, I would say, based on Love's stats this year, he qualifies. 

So a win against Love on Sunday would sort of break the trend. He would also get that elusive 3rd straight win. So there is a lot on the line.

Were you expecting a rebuilding team to start out beating the better teams and QBs?  We have to start learning how to win somewhere and that is mostly likely to happen against the bad teams.   FWIW he also beat Goff and I can make a good argument he soundly defeated him for 117 minutes in 2 games.   It's also interesting that Wilson made your list of good QBs a week after he was benched, or maybe more depressing that we lost that game.  

2 hours ago, adam said:

I think Flus stays, but I don't agree with it.  When you are at rock bottom, getting to medicocre shouldn't be applauded.  Harbaugh will come into the Chargers and get them far.  We will miss out on that.  Like we missed out on Arians, etc.  That said, I've come to terms with it.  I'm still not buying any licensed product nor attending any games until I see 2 winning seasons in a row.  I think Flus is Dick Jauron.  Decent.  Good guy.  Can get a defense going.  yet, clueless on offense or how to be a real HC in the modern NFL.  This is regardless of what we do at QB. 

14 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Were you expecting a rebuilding team to start out beating the better teams and QBs?  We have to start learning how to win somewhere and that is mostly likely to happen against the bad teams.   FWIW he also beat Goff and I can make a good argument he soundly defeated him for 117 minutes in 2 games.   It's also interesting that Wilson made your list of good QBs a week after he was benched, or maybe more depressing that we lost that game.  

If they win on Sunday, then there is definitely a positive trend, a win on the road against a decent QB, 3rd straight win for the first time, etc. However, a loss just says they are where they are and the trend line may be going up but marginally. 

On 1/5/2024 at 7:31 AM, adam said:

You listed Goff in the loss (good QB) and win (bad QB) category.  Similar to AZ’s point, I’d agree that Goff has been putting up some pretty decent numbers since joining the Lions and because of that his near miss and win this season should weigh heavier in his favor (IMHO).  And the point about Wilson being benched could be similar to Herbert.  Although not a “bad QB” his team is a mess and was out of the playoffs earlier than Chicago.  

Sure early this season Mahomes was continuing in his winning ways but I’d be willing to bet if they had to play against each other right now, Chicago could beat them.  

If we win Sunday there is no question Flus will be back. Poles picked him as the coach out of several candidates then stated his plans to be a  good team in a 4 year plan. He gutted the roster in the first year that limited his wins. Poles won't hold that against him. IF we win Sunday he will be 6-2 in the last 8 games that doesn't send the message of ( fire me). Of course he's not perfect, but is learning as a newish HC. Poles will admit his plans have failed firing a coach in year 2. I don't think he does that. As far as Getsy, his job is in jeopardy but still good be brought back for continuity. 8-9 finishing 6-2 , im not sure anyone looks as that as a bad season. 

Now if we get blown out, all that good will may be thrown out the window. It's a close call on if he stays or goes.

Warren will get involved but he's not there yet. His experience is as a lawyer , never has been  in personal or day to day operations. The stadium is his main focus, when that's done, you  will see him more involved. last time I checked, we don't even know where it's going.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

If we win Sunday there is no question Flus will be back. Poles picked him as the coach out of several candidates then stated his plans to be a  good team in a 4 year plan. He gutted the roster in the first year that limited his wins. Poles won't hold that against him. IF we win Sunday he will be 6-2 in the last 8 games that doesn't send the message of ( fire me). Of course he's not perfect, but is learning as a newish HC. Poles will admit his plans have failed firing a coach in year 2. I don't think he does that. As far as Getsy, his job is in jeopardy but still good be brought back for continuity. 8-9 finishing 6-2 , im not sure anyone looks as that as a bad season. 

Now if we get blown out, all that good will may be thrown out the window. It's a close call on if he stays or goes.

Warren will get involved but he's not there yet. His experience is as a lawyer , never has been  in personal or day to day operations. The stadium is his main focus, when that's done, you  will see him more involved. last time I checked, we don't even know where it's going.

Warren is the Bears president, so he should be involved in everything, and if not then why hire him.   Poles is the GM, but he has a boss that is evaluating his work.  Found this article from yesterday.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39248299/bears-prez-kevin-warren-likes-state-team-mum-matt-eberflus

Most people are thinking Flus will stay, but what about Getsy?  One name came up yesterday with the nflpa rankings of coordinators.  Frank Smith of the dolphins came up number one with the players.  Same Frank Smith that was our TE coach in 2017.  The successes out of the Shanahan tree are top notch and he is learning from the most imaginative of them all.  Question is; since we know Mike McDaniel is calling the plays, would Smith come here on a lateral move to gain more credibility?

3 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Warren is the Bears president, so he should be involved in everything, and if not then why hire him.   Poles is the GM, but he has a boss that is evaluating his work.  Found this article from yesterday.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39248299/bears-prez-kevin-warren-likes-state-team-mum-matt-eberflus

When he was hired, his main function was to take care of the stadium, he said that in his first interview but said he wanted to get more involved in the every day operation. The title of President is prescribed to what ever job it is stated. His expertise is not in personal or running a team it was always about the financial structure of a team. I've plumbed my whole life , I'm hiring an accountant and turned  over the business operations with no experience, that would be a bad business plan. You let him learn as he goes and maybe down the road let him take care of those affairs. 

No way any organization is hiring a new GM and coach and then the next year hire a President and expect him to burn it down and start over. His influence will be shown once the company wants a new GM and go a different direction , that's when he will take control of the whole operation.

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Most people are thinking Flus will stay, but what about Getsy?  One name came up yesterday with the nflpa rankings of coordinators.  Frank Smith of the dolphins came up number one with the players.  Same Frank Smith that was our TE coach in 2017.  The successes out of the Shanahan tree are top notch and he is learning from the most imaginative of them all.  Question is; since we know Mike McDaniel is calling the plays, would Smith come here on a lateral move to gain more credibility?

That's a new name, they can keep Flus and change the direction of the offense with a new coordinator. Both wouldn't have to go. 

He'll stay because they'll use the defensive improvement and win total increase as justification to bring him back, even though they had one of the easiest schedules in football and had only one quality win against a good team all year.

Saw a report from a supposedly credible guy who noted the Bears are pushing for Jim Harbaugh, but would pivot back to Eberflus if he goes somewhere else.

Two other teams have shown significant interest in Harbaugh: the Chicago Bears and Washington Commanders.

While the Bears have indicated Matt Eberflus will return as head coach, I am told there is a possibility for change if the franchise believes it can reel in Harbaugh. The fact that the team owns the first pick in the 2024 NFL Draft and a second selection midway through the frame makes the Chicago job even more attractive.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/news-latest-jim-harbaugh-nfl-one-team-cold-michigan-hc-bides-time

I think if Flus stays, Fields has a much better chance of staying, say 75%. They would be looking for continuity. If Fields goes, they think the QB position was holding them back and they are a QB away.

I think if Flus is gone, I think there is a 95% chance that Fields is gone with him, that's more likely than Poles bringing in an entirely new staff and giving them Fields just like he did with Flus/Getsy. That seems highly unlikely. 

So if both chances are even (50/50) for Flus, Fields has a 40% chance of staying. 

If Flus has a 75% chance of staying, Fields has a 57.5% chance of staying.

If Flus has a 75% chance of being fired, Fields has a 10% chance of staying.

1 hour ago, Bears4Ever_34 said:

He'll stay because they'll use the defensive improvement and win total increase as justification to bring him back, even though they had one of the easiest schedules in football and had only one quality win against a good team all year.

Saw a report from a supposedly credible guy who noted the Bears are pushing for Jim Harbaugh, but would pivot back to Eberflus if he goes somewhere else.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/news-latest-jim-harbaugh-nfl-one-team-cold-michigan-hc-bides-time

There's so many sports journalists making shit up, it's hard to tell who actually has inside information. Poles will never let anyone know what he has planned except maybe Warren. He's tight with information, as he should be. 

Poles doesnt even know whether Harbaugh is interested. He may know hes gonna move on from Flus, but he couldnt possibly know that hes keeping him even if he likes him. Because there are other options that need to be explored.

What if Andy Reid gets overheard saying Clark Hunt is a jerk? And then he gets fired and wants to come here. Still gonna keep Flus? Of course not.

Now Im not saying thats gonna happen, but as a GM, youve got to keep your options open because you never know. And thats certainly true when your coach isnt doing very well.

So if they know hes gonna get fired right now, ok. But they cant possibly know theyre gonna keep him. Not to a certainty. So anyone saying otherwise doesnt have any actual information. They just have guesses. And guesses arent evidence.

1 minute ago, Stinger226 said:

7-10 is better than 3-14, next year Poles has to win or his job is in jeopardy.

Flus has 17 more years to turn this around or Im gonna give him a stern talking to. Get outta here.

Flus has 10 wins in two seasons and is only 2-10 in the Division in the last two years. Poles motto is "take the north and never give it back". If you can't even go .500 in your division, you are not even close to "taking the north". So to me that is the more damning stat. The Bears needed at least a 3-3 record this season in the division and couldn't do it. Also, the Bears finished LAST in the Division again. So as much as you can point to win-loss improvement, it didn't mean squat in the division.

He is out.

2 minutes ago, adam said:

Flus has 10 wins in two seasons and is only 2-10 in the Division in the last two years. Poles motto is "take the north and never give it back". If you can't even go .500 in your division, you are not even close to "taking the north". So to me that is the more damning stat. The Bears needed at least a 3-3 record this season in the division and couldn't do it. He is out.

The worst part is that we have given Jordan Love all the confidence in the world to defeat us.  Now, we'll bring in a new guy who is behind the 8 ball.  Hopefully he has a bigger set than Justin does.  I haven't even started drinking yet and I am so dismayed at what I witnessed in the two games verses the Packers.  It's just disgusting, the effort we all just witnessed.

3 minutes ago, adam said:

Flus has 10 wins in two seasons and is only 2-10 in the Division in the last two years. Poles motto is "take the north and never give it back". If you can't even go .500 in your division, you are not even close to "taking the north". So to me that is the more damning stat. The Bears needed at least a 3-3 record this season in the division and couldn't do it. Also, the Bears finished LAST in the Division again. So as much as you can point to win-loss improvement, it didn't mean squat in the division.

He is out.

His plan was not for two years, why does everyone think a GM that is rebuilding through the draft is going to get that done in 2 years, that's silly. Next year is the year of judgement. 

2 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

His plan was not for two years, why does everyone think a GM that is rebuilding through the draft is going to get that done in 2 years, that's silly. Next year is the year of judgement. 

because if you have a three year plan and the coach is terrible after 2 years, you dont need to give them the whole 3 years! Its not about whats fairest to Floooser, its about whats best for the team. And anyone who needs to see more to know of this, well it boggles my mind.