The Search For Our DC Continues?

Lucky Luciano

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

My guess is, if they hire Harris, it will be as DB coach, and then they'd promote Hoke to DC?

It said interviewed for the DC position. I guess they could do that, but lateral moves can be blocked. 

54 minutes ago, adam said:

It said interviewed for the DC position. I guess they could do that, but lateral moves can be blocked. 

they did say that, and youre right they can be. I was just thinking two different DB coaches, Hoke is the better one, but youre right about those mitigating factors.

On 1/17/2024 at 9:31 PM, Pixote said:

I just read on NFL.com that Ron Rivera wants to return to the sidelines as a DC. I'd love to see him return to Chicago.

Ron Rivera would be great because when he was last here under Lovie, he wasn’t afraid to be aggressive which caused a rift with Smiths’ defensive philosophy/ tendencies to bend don’t break scheme.  Which is what worries a little bit with Flus’s take on the Tampa 2.

18 minutes ago, ParkerBear7 said:

Ron Rivera would be great because when he was last here under Lovie, he wasn’t afraid to be aggressive which caused a rift with Smiths’ defensive philosophy/ tendencies to bend don’t break scheme.  Which is what worries a little bit with Flus’s take on the Tampa 2.

Flus runs a zone based scheme, and he started with a lot of cover 2, but now he runs a lot of cover 3 as well.

But in either case he doesnt run a Tampa 2, just a regular cover 2, which is stupid because Edmunds is an excellent Urlacher size/length/speed combo type.

I think the worst part of Eberflus' defense isnt so much the playcalling per se, every defense has the same 6 or 8 calls, and a couple exotics, but rather how he plays them - he seems to like to give WRs a bigger cushion and play bend dont break which wont beat the good playoff teams. hes got to be willing to trust his players a bit more and let them make plays on the ball and not just tackles after the completion.

All in all the hallmark of the Eberflus era so far has been not trusting the players and trying to "out safe" the other guy, on both sides of the ball, which has resulted in a bunch of giving games away we should have won.

I want to see the new DC coming in be more aggressive. Not just blitzing more, but more subtly, in how tight they ask the coverages to be. With a better pass rush from Sweat and whoever we add to the DL this offseason, and a more trustworthy FS over the top, it's time to let the coverage guys play tighter.

We have another Williams....

If the Bears could pull this off, they would have 2x coaches at the East/West Shrine Game AND their new DC at the Senior Bowl. If Poles pulls that off and has all that access to all those players, it would be a brilliant move.

3 minutes ago, adam said:

If the Bears could pull this off, they would have 2x coaches at the East/West Shrine Game AND their new DC at the Senior Bowl. If Poles pulls that off and has all that access to all those players, it would be a brilliant move.

the stars do seem to be lining up. find me an amazing undervalued center in the 3rd round!

2 hours ago, adam said:

I think Poles knows what he's doing and advising Flus with the hires. So far things seem to be looking positive.

3 hours ago, adam said:

The Bears have been tapping the Titan pipeline with Poles and Flus.  I think 3 or 4 players were signed 

20 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

The Bears have been tapping the Titan pipeline with Poles and Flus.  I think 3 or 4 players were signed 

Not sure I understand your statement. Poles was from KC and Flus was at Indy, are you talking about players? Chris Harris did interview but hasn't been hired yet.

9 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Not sure I understand your statement. Poles was from KC and Flus was at Indy, are you talking about players? Chris Harris did interview but hasn't been hired yet.

I think he meant players: Walker, Blasingame and Nate Davis were all last with the Titans before the Bears. And Trevis Gipson did go to Tennesse last year.  

24 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I was trying to point out how they signed 3 or 4 players from the Titans.  

2022:

Sharing Blasingale FB

Trevor Coley DT

2023:

Nate Davis OG

Demarcus Walker DE

Dylan Cole LB

21 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I think he meant players: Walker, Blasingame and Nate Davis were all last with the Titans before the Bears. And Trevis Gipson did go to Tennesse last year.  

Bingo!

Poles and Flus seem to admire players from Ten.   It might be more on Flus coming from that division.

On 1/14/2024 at 1:59 PM, Lucky Luciano said:

ok, riddle me this....

how did our defensive scheme hold up against PLAYOFF teams with good + qb's?

i seem to remember they could pass at will to our soft zones. like maybe green bay has been doing for over 20 years?

how did it hold up before we had a very good defensive end to pressure the qb?

how did it hold up against playoff teams even with sweat? how did green bay counter that? QUICK passes into our zones that nobody covered. they could have beat us by 50 if they wanted to.

how did lovie smith's defense hold up against playoff teams with good + quarterbacks after he fired chico and gave the DC to his linebacker coach to mimic his defensive style and game plan?

i'm sorry but this is the same old shite we have been beaten to a pulp with for over 20 years.

Preach the gospel, brother. Preach it.

I’m so sick of this base cover-2 concept as a bend-but-don’t-break starting point because eventually it gets shredded by good QBs with decent TTT, or decent QBs with good TTT.

I know there are numerous times over the years I’ve remarked while watching that the Bears D was making some journeyman QB into a HOFer. Who remembers when TO got like 46 receptions for a gazillion yards in one game and Jeff Garcia looked like Tom Brady on Ritalin?

8 hours ago, jason said:

Preach the gospel, brother. Preach it.

I’m so sick of this base cover-2 concept as a bend-but-don’t-break starting point because eventually it gets shredded by good QBs with decent TTT, or decent QBs with good TTT.

I know there are numerous times over the years I’ve remarked while watching that the Bears D was making some journeyman QB into a HOFer. Who remembers when TO got like 46 receptions for a gazillion yards in one game and Jeff Garcia looked like Tom Brady on Ritalin?

Yeah, and it was even mentioned by Brisker in the post game of the GB game. I honestly believe some of the soft zone stuff has to do with personnel. Brisker is not really a coverage guy, and Jackson is shell of his former self. So if those are your Safeties, you almost have to play a little farther off because you aren't going to get much help over the top.

I would just like to see more timed pressure that matches the coverage. Why blitz or bring extra guys knowing they are throwing the ball within 10 yards to have your DBs play 12 yards off and allow an 8 yard completion on 3rd and 5?

Jim Dray will be at the Senior Bowl as an OL Coach, so even if the Bears don't bring on Terrell Williams as DC, they will still have a coach at the Senior Bowl. Very nice to have coaches in both games to get first hand experience with prospects. I now expect them to sign 1-2 from each game's roster in the draft, or pick some up as UDFAs.

4 hours ago, adam said:

Jim Dray will be at the Senior Bowl as an OL Coach, so even if the Bears don't bring on Terrell Williams as DC, they will still have a coach at the Senior Bowl. Very nice to have coaches in both games to get first hand experience with prospects. I now expect them to sign 1-2 from each game's roster in the draft, or pick some up as UDFAs.

That's how "we" found Bagent wasn't it?  When Getsy was HC for one of the teams?

Vic Fangio just left Miami after one season, reason wasn't given on the report I just heard on Total Access.

Now that is one hell of a DC to add to the Bears' staff! Come back to Chicago, Vic, we love ya'.

(Damn, I can't remember, did he run a 3 or 4 man front?)

2 minutes ago, Pixote said:

Vic Fangio just left Miami after one season, reason wasn't given on the report I just heard on Total Access.

Now that is one hell of a DC to add to the Bears' staff! Come back to Chicago, Vic, we love ya'.

(Damn, I can't remember, did he run a 3 or 4 man front?)

His base was 3-4 but they were in a 4-2 with the nickel back 60% of the time. Vic was a very good coach but his philosophy is quite different from Flus, it won't happen.

3 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

His base was 3-4 but they were in a 4-2 with the nickel back 60% of the time. Vic was a very good coach but his philosophy is quite different from Flus, it won't happen.

OK, as I was typing it I added the question because it came to mind he was a 3-4 guy. Won't work. My Bad.