Which Rookie QB should we draft to replace Fields?

BearFan PHX

15 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Personal feelings are better served elsewhere.  I think it better we keep the conversation to the Bears, football, Chicago (in general) and/or types of whiskey. I find messaging people directly can sort out the other stuff.  

This coming from an 'instigator' of course.  😈

I think Daventry is less saying that keeping Fields is dumb, and more saying that the way Stinger argues it, his arguments are dumb.

For example

20 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Voicing opinions is not a popularity contest. I post a lot because I'm retired and can.

immediately after saying Daventry only has 1,000 posts - as a way to dismiss his argument on another thread.

It's just so personal all the time, and illogical.

And I agree that it's best to just keep to the arguments themselves. I might say someone's argument makes no sense, but I cant say if Fields will be superman next year, that's opinion of course.

But if someone says "Fields will be great next year because the moon is made of cheese" then i can say "the moon is not made of cheese, so that's not a good argument for why Fields would be good next year" and then if the response is "well you dont know everything, youve never been to the moon. you act like you know everything, but you dont. youre not the smartest person that ever lived ya know, youre just being arrogant" and then some snotty fighty stuff - that's where it goes off the rails, having nothing to do with Fields, and little to do with cheese.

AND in any case, instigation is better served with whiskey and wit, as you do it. It's more entertaining that way than just pure homeristic hysteria. :)

Maybe he invested big in Bears Fields jerseys?

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Daventry said:

Yes, I agree.  Check my post numbers.  When most post, there are new or different views, stats, or some kind of meaningful content.  From some areas, there is silly reaching of views in an effort to continue the hammering of a certain view.  It became tiresome and I commented.  To be clear, I am not here to troll.  Nor am I here to gain colourful participation badges.  I enjoy reading informed and passionate fan views from real Bears fans.  Some here are from my hometown.  I have said very little for years but some recent posts have annoyed me.  I have said so.  My argument is reasonable and I have not been abusive.  

As soon as I find something you said about football instead of trolling, which you claim you're not doing. I will show you some respect. If what I write annoys you, stop reading it. You choose to be annoying.

10 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

As soon as I find something you said about football instead of trolling, which you claim you're not doing. I will show you some respect. If what I write annoys you, stop reading it. You choose to be annoying.

My goal is not to achieve your respect.  I choose to express my views.  I am looked for the block button, can you help?

28 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Dude this type of 'talk' is way out of line for those of us on the BearsTalk line.  😈

(And no I haven't been drinking...yet)  

one can be a homer without being prone to hysteria :)

I love me so Jim Harbaugh. People said some negative things about him. That wouldn't make me mad :)

It seems like even the media narrative is starting to change in the light of so much truth.

Shes saying not a single person in the league that shes talked to, and that must be a LOT of people. Carmen Vitali covers not just the Bears, but the entire NFC North for FOX Sports. THink of how many people in the NFL she must talk to, and everything she hears is unanimous.

26 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

It seems like even the media narrative is starting to change in the light of so much truth.

Shes saying not a single person in the league that shes talked to, and that must be a LOT of people. Carmen Vitali covers not just the Bears, but the entire NFC North for FOX Sports. THink of how many people in the NFL she must talk to, and everything she hears is unanimous.

Not for nothing but Carmen (who I read is a Vikings fan) was still talking high praise about Joshua Dobbs right before he played against the Bears…and threw 4 INTs.   😈🤔

https://amp.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/josh-dobbs-comes-back-down-to-earth-vikings-playoff-hopes-still-alive

19 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Not for nothing but Carmen (who I read is a Vikings fan) was still talking high praise about Joshua Dobbs right before he played against the Bears…and threw 4 INTs.   😈🤔

https://amp.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/josh-dobbs-comes-back-down-to-earth-vikings-playoff-hopes-still-alive

fair enough :) at least in this case, shes reporting what (all the?) pros said instead of what her analysis is? she said it was unanimous?

I wouldnt make a decision based on their opinions. I prefer to just use my own eyes, but it does seem like the media narrative is starting to change.

Then again, Colin Cowherd said today that Williams doesn't want to play for Chicago and may force a trade specifically to Washington. Of course if Williams did that, it would kill the trade value too, since thered be no competition anymore. If Caleb says he'd only play in Washington, no one else would be able to trade up for him either.

I really hope we end up preferring someone else, but Williams is pretty damned good. I sure hope hed play for us if we drafted him. that would be a nightmare if he forced us out of the #1 pick, without getting proper trade value because he dictated the trade and killed the market.

I wonder what the NFL would do in that case.

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

I wonder what the NFL would do in that case

Closest thing I could compare it to was when Eli insisted on not playing for San Diego and was traded to the Giants immediately after being drafted by the Chargers.  I don’t remember all the details but I bet someone like Adam would.  I know part of it involved SD getting Philip Rivers.  

4 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I don't deny that everyone is saying that because that is the popular opinion. However, they are going in with the information that they have, and most, if not all of them don't work at Halas Hall. I am also in that camp but it just seems like what Poles setup last year. I could be totally wrong and they go sign Kirk Cousins.

We don't know if Vegas just offered up Crosby+a historic haul for #1 to pair Williams with Kingsbury? or what other offers are on the table. I still think there is a chance that they trade the #1 if the price is right, but it's high.

2 hours ago, adam said:

I don't deny that everyone is saying that because that is the popular opinion. However, they are going in with the information that they have, and most, if not all of them don't work at Halas Hall. I am also in that camp but it just seems like what Poles setup last year. I could be totally wrong and they go sign Kirk Cousins.

We don't know if Vegas just offered up Crosby+a historic haul for #1 to pair Williams with Kingsbury? or what other offers are on the table. I still think there is a chance that they trade the #1 if the price is right, but it's high.

You don't  want to pass on the ( generational) QB if they identify Williams is one but I think we're one year away from building the roster to compliment any QB added. It all comes down to their evaluation process. Poles was their when KC took Mahomes. Remember he was not considered special at the time. Besides his passing skills, Mahomes is the leader of the team, tough kid, he also has the intangibles.  Poles will demand those traits or he won't take. 

No chance he passes over the best prospect since Andrew Luck. Zero none. He didn't draft JF. I can wish him the best on another team and will forever want JF to succeed. Realistically, I want to win. We all should want to win.  CW might elevate our guys on the field and with an immensely improved defense we will be in the playoffs next year

I wonder what we could get for our win total in Vegas? I'd bet a shit ton over 7.5 or 8 flat right now.

8 minutes ago, adam said:

He liked a Chicago realtor's post with some nice views of the city and a price for the apartment.

He's probably doing that at every city in top 5. He's originally from Washington DC. Lots of players like going home.

1 hour ago, adam said:

That was quick:

Well this is good news, and I'll just take it on face value going forward.

But the cynical part of me says they said they "didnt want to be painted as anti Bears" not that Caleb "would love to play for Chicago" or "is excited to join the NFL and will play for any team that picks him" - the language is clumsy and sounds nuanced and lawyered.

So like, they might still want to drop subtle hints to Poles that they dont want to be there without the media firestorm.

OK I heard it, I said it, now I'll file it away under "if more stuff fits this pattern I'll look at it again then" and now I'll proceed as if we are going to draft CW and have a 10 year future we've never seen in Chicago.

We're so consumed with all the Fields stuff, no one is really yet realizing what this could be.

This could be the greatest thing to happen to the Bears since 1985, maybe even greater.

48 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Well this is good news, and I'll just take it on face value going forward.

But the cynical part of me says they said they "didnt want to be painted as anti Bears" not that Caleb "would love to play for Chicago" or "is excited to join the NFL and will play for any team that picks him" - the language is clumsy and sounds nuanced and lawyered.

So like, they might still want to drop subtle hints to Poles that they dont want to be there without the media firestorm.

OK I heard it, I said it, now I'll file it away under "if more stuff fits this pattern I'll look at it again then" and now I'll proceed as if we are going to draft CW and have a 10 year future we've never seen in Chicago.

We're so consumed with all the Fields stuff, no one is really yet realizing what this could be.

This could be the greatest thing to happen to the Bears since 1985, maybe even greater.

That’s my feelings, this year is such a great opportunity.  I really hope all goes well and we travel towards being a respectable and competitive team!

On 2/2/2024 at 12:52 AM, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I have seen her on many videos, her opinions are all over the place. 

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

As a media member, I find it funny that you have to justify your existence, and when you get something right, you are patting yourself on the back. In most cases, you have a 50% chance of being right on every prediction on whether a player or team will be good or not good. 

20 minutes ago, adam said:

As a media member, I find it funny that you have to justify your existence, and when you get something right, you are patting yourself on the back. In most cases, you have a 50% chance of being right on every prediction on whether a player or team will be good or not good. 

Courtney Cronin is the only woman I'm listening to when it comes to the Bears.

6 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Right? Call me sexist, but I just can’t trust her opinion in a male dominated sport. I don’t think she is REALLY getting the scoop. She’s getting platitudes and courtesy, but that’s it.