Shane Waldron hired as the new Bears OC

adam

3 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I was about to post something similar - I think good thing is - Waldron knows a lot of people and has been engaged in this more advanced QB work for a bit / been on the leading edge (whether that makes him great, who knows). I also think you can't read into this hiring as any indication on what and where the front office is leaning in regards to QB - which quite frankly is the right answer, given they are months away from the draft at this point.  

For sure. I dont read anything into this as far as which QB we will go with. But considering that Fields, Williams and Maye all worked with the QB Collective, Waldron will have people he can talk to with firsthand extended experience with these guys to help him evaluate all his options.

We will be making this decision with as much information as possible. how all that info will be weighted, and whatever loyalty there might be to Fields etc I wont bother to predict. But Waldron is gonna have a pretty good opinion on who to choose, and hes not gonna be happy coming here if they go another direction and dont get him his guy. That's gotta be part of this I'd think.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, adam said:

I thought it was Parkins?

Yes, I follow Greg. I actually got into a little kerfuffle with him a few weeks ago. I simply said what he said was also a narrative, which is true. He did not like it and said it was one of the stupidest statements that he has ever read, which is hilarious to me. What do you think:

I think it is naive to think that Poles doesn't have scenarios or courses of actions already developed for every possible scenario. Basically what trade would he accept from every team in the league he would trade with. What that trade would look like for #1, #9, for every pick, and for some players, to include Fields. He can't wait until someone calls asking. He has an asking price. On the flip side, he has to have a general idea on which players he would be interesting in trading for and what he is willing to give up in a trade for that player (like Sweat, and Claypool). He is not going to call them up blindly, then figure out if their offer works or not out of the blue. That is ridiculous.

So Poles has a Plan A, let's say it is draft Williams, and take no less than a 3rd for Fields. Ask for a 1st, but if there is only one offer, take no less than a 3rd. However, at the same time, he has a value for #1. If someone comes to him with a trade proposal that blows his valuation out the window, then he moves to Plan B. It could be the other way around. If someone comes to him with a 1st rounder for Fields, can he pass that up? I just think Poles already has these things mapped out, and is working with other teams, agents, etc to figure out what the best option is for the next few months. Greg makes it seem like Poles doesn't know what he is going to do. I call BS on that. If someone comes to him with a crazy offer today, he has to be able to respond and react to it. They may say here is the offer, take it or leave it, we need to know by the end of the day or the offer is gone, we want max predictability. Poles isn't going to magically start figuring things out, he is already going to have the parameters in place.

I think the point he wast rying to make with lots of information about the draft yet to obtain that GMs aren't going to make personal decisions in January. 

A lot of people on X said he was talking about Parkins but I think he was talking about Bernstein. Parkins said he would like Waldron, Bernstein said he didn't want him. Greg had made comments about Bernstein before, I don't think he likes him. Not sure of his opinion on Parkins, he has been on their show before.

Look, youre always going to do your due diligence, and things CAN change, but i bet if Poles had to make his best guess right now about what he was gonna do with the first pick overall and Justin, that it will be exactly what his strategy is going to end up being when he finalizes that strategy.

Now could bombshell info come along and change things? of course. Caleb and Justin could both get kidnapped, and then theyd have to do something else. or some awful info could come out to blow it all up. But he already knows, and hes gonna go through the process and prove it, but 95%+ it'll end up being what he thought it would be.

Now once he tries to put the strategy in motion, teams may offer more or less, players may become available etc, so all that changes everything too. But the moment before he opens the phone lines, what hes thinking hes gonna do is almost certainly what hes thinking hes gonna do now.

It's like this "wait for the last game until you know" stuff. It's just not like that - this isn't a movie. You are who you are, and they are either inclined to take it or leave it.

Your wild card strategy….Bears sign Russel Wilson, trade the first for a fortune and trade Justin. 

Why you ask? Because Wilson post cut has offset language in his contract so Bears could pay him league minimum for a couple years and just built a monster around him. 

Note: I am not really proposing the above - but I guarantee there is an analytics model somewhere that says that would be a brilliant idea. 

2 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Your wild card strategy….Bears sign Russel Wilson, trade the first for a fortune and trade Justin. 

Why you ask? Because Wilson post cut has offset language in his contract so Bears could pay him league minimum for a couple years and just built a monster around him. 

Note: I am not really proposing the above - but I guarantee there is an analytics model somewhere that says that would be a brilliant idea. 

Honestly, I’d be 100% OK with that. Make an immediate run for the SB.

1 hour ago, jason said:

Honestly, I’d be 100% OK with that. Make an immediate run for the SB.

I am sure I don’t fully understand the offset but if we could get Wilson 3 years at 500k for him to stick to to Denver and Bears can just build a monster team - well I would be all over it too. 

1 hour ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I am sure I don’t fully understand the offset but if we could get Wilson 3 years at 500k for him to stick to to Denver and Bears can just build a monster team - well I would be all over it too. 

Funny Pace was willing to give three firsts for the guy a few years ago lol

4 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

Funny Pace was willing to give three firsts for the guy a few years ago lol

There were multiple teams willing to give up a decent amount for Wilson, there was a lot of hype about him coming to Denver and turned out to be a disaster. If we go the vet route I'd rather look elsewhere than Wilson.  Dude's on the back end of his career and his best is in the rear view.  

8 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I was honestly thinking about that for the Jets. For the Bears? RW will be 36 this year, so if you figure a real SB run won't be for another year or two, you are looking at a 37 or 38 yr old QB, who is 5'11", would be on his 3rd team in 4 years, and who's escapability was one of his best traits is probably gone. 

I guess it could make sense for the Bears as Waldron has experience with RW though. 🤯

Like several have expressed, I was concerned this was not a "done deal." Especially since it appears other teams were interviewing him for OC (NOS for one). However, if the article I have given the link to below is correct, then my fear was unfounded.

It appears, according to this article, Waldron is already interviewing to fill his staff positions, including three coaches who were with him in Seattle.

According to CBS Sports’ Jonathan Jones, Waldron is setting up interviews with some former Seahawks co-workers and coaches — Chad Morton, Sanjay Lal and Kerry Joseph, among others — for staff positions.

Morton served as the Seahawks run game coordinator and running backs coach; Lal served as Seattle’s passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach; and Joseph has served as the Seahawks’ assistant wide receivers coach and later assistant quarterbacks coach under Waldron.

The assumption is those candidates would serve in the same roles: Morton as running backs coach (potentially also run game coordinator), Lal as wide receivers coach (potentially also pass game coordinator) and Joseph as quarterbacks coach or assistant quarterbacks coach.

Bears OC Shane Waldron already working on filling out his staff

I love it. Talk about getting off the bus running, this immediately brings continuity to the OC & his staff.

There was also mention of Greg Olsen but he may be in line for a OC position with another team. Time will tell.

1 hour ago, Pixote said:

Like several have expressed, I was concerned this was not a "done deal." Especially since it appears other teams were interviewing him for OC (NOS for one). However, if the article I have given the link to below is correct, then my fear was unfounded.

It appears, according to this article, Waldron is already interviewing to fill his staff positions, including three coaches who were with him in Seattle.

I love it. Talk about getting off the bus running, this immediately brings continuity to the OC & his staff.

There was also mention of Greg Olsen but he may be in line for a OC position with another team. Time will tell.

this is good to hear for sure

2 hours ago, Pixote said:

Ha!  Until they schedule a press conference and he shows up I’m still going to be guarded.  😄

17 minutes ago, CrackerDog said:

Ha!  Until they schedule a press conference and he shows up I’m still going to be guarded.  😄

I hear ya. they are leaving the door open to someone else outbidding us. they shouldnt have leaked this.

1 hour ago, adam said:

Officially official:

Excellent!  Now my restless heart can sleep well tonight.  I think this is an outstanding hire.  Almost wish they could’ve done it last year (know that wasn’t possible) so Fields had a full season to work in a real offense.   

Albert Breer had a bunch of information today. He tells us that:

Multiple OC Candidates that the Bears interviewed told him that the chance to coach Caleb Williams was a drawing card for considering the OC position with the Bears for them.

AND

Matt Eberflus defended Justin Fields in the interviews.

Now maybe that's just some smoke going into trade and draft season, but maybe it's a clown show too.

I REALLY don't want to be right about this. I don't want to get this rebuild all out of rhythm and miss the chance at a #1 pick QB. Saying i told you so will be a poor prize for getting thrown back into mediocrity for several more years, and watching this roster age out and move on to better free agency deals while we scramble to keep some together.

Getting your rookie QB in 2025 if you even CAN get a sniff of the #1 pick, (and who is coming out then?) is gonna require anotheryear of development into 2026 and then youre losing Sweat soon and god dammit why the hell did we keep Eberflus.

We had better have a new QB next year. This franchise is the NFLs version of the Washington Generals, and they never beat the Globetrotters. Theyre just there to be a foil for the Packers. Havent we had enough mediocrity?!

Oh, and if we keep both, that thing i said about Poles hugging and getting too close to make good decisions about letting "friends" go - is gonna start sounding pretty right. Grrrr

6 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

Albert Breer had a bunch of information today. He tells us that:

Multiple OC Candidates that the Bears interviewed told him that the chance to coach Caleb Williams was a drawing card for considering the OC position with the Bears for them.

AND

Matt Eberflus defended Justin Fields in the interviews.

Now maybe that's just some smoke going into trade and draft season, but maybe it's a clown show too.

I REALLY don't want to be right about this. I don't want to get this rebuild all out of rhythm and miss the chance at a #1 pick QB. Saying i told you so will be a poor prize for getting thrown back into mediocrity for several more years, and watching this roster age out and move on to better free agency deals while we scramble to keep some together.

Getting your rookie QB in 2025 if you even CAN get a sniff of the #1 pick, (and who is coming out then?) is gonna require anotheryear of development into 2026 and then youre losing Sweat soon and god dammit why the hell did we keep Eberflus.

We had better have a new QB next year. This franchise is the NFLs version of the Washington Generals, and they never beat the Globetrotters. Theyre just there to be a foil for the Packers. Havent we had enough mediocrity?!

Oh, and if we keep both, that thing i said about Poles hugging and getting too close to make good decisions about letting "friends" go - is gonna start sounding pretty right. Grrrr

Interesting that Flus had to "defend" Fields. That implies something negative was stated about Fields. Why else would you have to "defend" a player in an interview? To me that sounds like pure narrative building on the Bears side. In a way, that also sounds like finger pointing towards Getsy, which would be an odd thing to do when you are hiring the new guy for the same position. If they want Waldron, they are going to basically say whatever he wants to hear. 

Remember they drafted Wright over Carter, and at the time, that was strictly culture. At the same time, can the Bears keep losing when they don't have a QB that steps up in the 4th quarter? 

I have no clue what they are going to do. My gut says they draft a QB because Poles has yet to pick his guy. If he doesn't go QB, and this whole plan flops in 2024, he might be the first GM that stayed with a franchise for 3+ years that got fired before ever drafting his own QB.

Here's the thing about Flus reportedly defending Fields.   Breer states it "as he understands it".    Breer wasn't in these interviews, context and what was actually said matters more than someone speculating on something someone else said.  Let's be careful taking someone's assumption based on second hand information as fact.  I'm guessing he may have asked some questions of some of the candidates that he then extrapolated from the answers he got.  Truth is we don't know what was said or not said in the interview.   His choice of the word "defend" could be to stir the pot because it implies Fields was attacked or disrespected in the interviews.  Comments in the interview could have been constructive criticism or mention of things he would need to improve on.  I highly doubt it went down like the candidates said "Fields sucks get rid of him" and Flus was like "no, you're going to keep Fields because of xyz.  Keep in mind sports writers and media in general thrive on conflict, stirring the pot, and riling people up.  Truth is Breer doesn't know, we don't know, only those in the interviews know the details and context of what was said or talked about.  

I have no doubt that everyone we interviewed has interest and ideas of how they would call an offense if we took Williams at #1.  They probably also had to consider what their offense would look like if we kept Fields, traded the #1 and added talent with the haul we'd get for the pick.  Because in reality both options are available to the Bears this draft season.  It could also be that they went with Waldron because he had the best plans for either direction Poles goes in the draft.  

12 minutes ago, BearFan2000 said:

Breer wasn't in these interviews, context and what was actually said matters more than someone speculating on something someone else said.

Well said. I read not all that long ago (Nov-Dec timeframe) that Breer was also quoted as saying he thought that Flus wouldn't be retained. So his credibility does indeed come into question.

15 minutes ago, BearFan2000 said:

Here's the thing about Flus reportedly defending Fields.   Breer states it "as he understands it".    Breer wasn't in these interviews, context and what was actually said matters more than someone speculating on something someone else said.  Let's be careful taking someone's assumption based on second hand information as fact.  I'm guessing he may have asked some questions of some of the candidates that he then extrapolated from the answers he got.  Truth is we don't know what was said or not said in the interview.   His choice of the word "defend" could be to stir the pot because it implies Fields was attacked or disrespected in the interviews.  Comments in the interview could have been constructive criticism or mention of things he would need to improve on.  I highly doubt it went down like the candidates said "Fields sucks get rid of him" 

Reminds me of an old joke.  “I stuck up for you!  He said you weren’t fit to sleep with the pigs and I said you were!”

As stated, the word defend in this case can mean many different things.  

A couple data points:

1) Eberflus saying good things about Fields - doesn't mean he's overly loyal. I think everyone recognizes Field(s) work ethic, character, leadership and physical gifts are off the charts.  He checks almost every single box - it is why the decision is so hard.  He also I think is striking the right balance - if he went in and ripped Fields, what kind of a message does that send. Both in terms of - that will get its way back in Field(s) and does nothing good.  Beyond that - Flus saying good things about Field(s) prevents anything he says from tainting trade value or giving a tell. I also think there is just a purity of - having strong character and being kind - can actually be a good thing in the long run and how Flus & Poles handle stuff like this - some could say too nice - but on flipside, as long as you are steady in your actual decision-making and clear in communication, I think NFL players will respect that.  

2) Absolutely having a chance for people to know they are going to have an opportunity to work with either Fields or a potential #1 pick is going to drive value vs. an org who has David Carr or whatever there. Not knocking Carr, quite frankly he is 2x the QB production wise that Field(s) has ever been - but Carr is what he is at this point - a middle of the road vet. That isn't going to be that thrilling for an OC vs. a team with a #1 & #9 pick and tons of cap space.