The Caleb Williams story

Stinger226

Colin on his show two days ago stated that Caleb doesn't want to go Chicago. He thinks they screwed over Justin Fields and have a lame duck coach. The Williams camp walked back on that yesterday , they don't want to be looked like the villain but they never denied saying it.  A few months ago he said he would only play for a few teams and wanted a piece of the franchise. Chicago wasnt on that list. Caleb wants to go to Washington, he grew up in the DC area, that makes sense. They have a new coach and feel that he will be there for four years and will have a more stable future there. Colin was on the Score yesterday and talked about this.

Colin is friends with Riley and have been on the sidelines for several USC games. He has met Caleb's father and Caleb many times, so he's not just blowing smoke when he makes statements. Caleb's father is involved in the process and a lot of the comments come from him. He wants him in Washington which have the second pick. That makes some sense, the kid was a long time Redskins fan. 

It's hard to distinguish what is real and not real but at least Colin has some insight being he's been involved with the family before. Joe Burrows was from Ohio and wanted to play for the Bengals, he got his wish. 

From all this talk the one thing you can determine is , him and his dad have a big egos and they will try to throw their weight around to influence where Caleb goes, Washington picks second.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Colin on his show two days ago stated that Caleb doesn't want to go Chicago. He thinks they screwed over Justin Fields and have a lame duck coach. The Williams camp walked back on that yesterday , they don't want to be looked like the villain but they never denied saying it.  A few months ago he said he would only play for a few teams and wanted a piece of the franchise. Chicago wasnt on that list. Caleb wants to go to Washington, he grew up in the DC area, that makes sense. They have a new coach and feel that he will be there for four years and will have a more stable future there. Colin was on the Score yesterday and talked about this.

Colin is friends with Riley and have been on the sidelines for several USC games. He has met Caleb's father and Caleb many times, so he's not just blowing smoke when he makes statements. Caleb's father is involved in the process and a lot of the comments come from him. He wants him in Washington which have the second pick. That makes some sense, the kid was a long time Redskins fan. 

It's hard to distinguish what is real and not real but at least Colin has some insight being he's been involved with the family before. Joe Burrows was from Ohio and wanted to play for the Bengals, he got his wish. 

From all this talk the one thing you can determine is , him and his dad have a big egos and they will try to throw their weight around to influence where Caleb goes, Washington picks second.

Most kids want to play for their favorite team growing up, so I am sure he would like to do that, but few do.  Joe Burrow was selected #1 by Cincy who had the #1 overall pick. 

So if he wants to be selected by Washington, there is some work to do. Just say they work out a trade with the Bears to move up to #1. That is at least taking a 2025 1st and a 2024 2nd. So now Williams goes to a 4-win team with no 1st rounder next year, with the worst defense in the league, and an offensive line that allowed 65 sacks. That is the David Carr situation. Oh, and he would have a 3rd Year QB who threw for 3,946 yards sitting behind him.

Looking back at their schedule, they were close to going 0-17, every win was by one score or less. Dan Quinn is the head coach. He is a solid HC, but not an upgrade over Riverboat Ron. By the time that team gets fixed, Caleb will be a 35-year old journeyman making Klik-Klok videos (the new TikTok in 2035) in a hologram.

The one place where Caleb can safely go and not succeed is Washington in my opinion. They may have the most cap space and will have the same amount as the Bears after Jackson and Whitehair are cut, but if I am a free agent, I would take less money to go somewhere else than to go to Washington. 

In a way, this makes the #1 pick even more valuable, because now the Bears can tell Washington that they are trading #1 to some other team that is taking Williams. 

34 minutes ago, adam said:

So if he wants to be selected by Washington, there is some work to do. Just say they work out a trade with the Bears to move up to #1. That is at least taking a 2025 1st and a 2024 2nd.

That's what I want regardless of where Caleb wants to go.  That's because I'm a Drake Maye guy.  The extra picks would be icing...

31 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

He knows bc teams have gone to USC asking about Caleb

And remember when there was all that buzz over Chicago flying to the West Coast a few weeks back?  There was talk they were going to come back with Kingsbury as the new OC because of his  connection to Williams.  Kingsbury is  now in Vegas.  

I agree Washington would be a worst situation than coming here but Colin says its viewed as a coach staying longer where as he views Flus as a lameduck coach and have a new system in two years. One spot could get you a decent return, when Pace traded for Tribisky, he gave up a first second and fourth in the first year and a third the next year. Williams is considered a better get so you could get more plus the stakes it raises if other teams want that pick. Washington would have to fork up a 1 first, a second, a fouth this year and first next year and a player.  Ricky Stromberg/ a second year OC/OG , Jahan Dotbson/WR, a former 1st round pick , Deron Payne would be the prize but very expensive contract.  

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

And remember when there was all that buzz over Chicago flying to the West Coast a few weeks back?  There was talk they were going to come back with Kingsbury as the new OC because of his  connection to Williams.  Kingsbury is  now in Vegas.  

Nope, he pulled out, no pun intended.

1 hour ago, adam said:

Nope, he pulled out, no pun intended.

Well that’s interesting indeed.  It sure has been a “silly season” this year.  Belichick outside looking in, highly regarded OC coordinators (plural) choosing to stay put and this (below) … (Bienemy it appears will always be the bridesmaid).  Chip Kelly?  Really? 

IMG_6478.jpeg

1 minute ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Well that’s interesting indeed.  It sure has been a “silly season” this year.  Belichick outside looking in, highly regarded OC coordinators (plural) choosing to stay put and this (below) … (Bienemy it appears will always be the bridesmaid).  Chip Kelly?  Really? 

IMG_6478.jpeg

Luke Getsy, a strong candidate 🤔 

I still believe he needs to prove he can be a good OC.  Find a spot with a decent pocket QB and make him great. Then he can be considered a strong HC candidate 

2 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Luke Getsy, a strong candidate 🤔 

I still believe he needs to prove he can be a good OC.  Find a spot with a decent pocket QB and make him great. Then he can be considered a strong HC candidate 

They chose to keep Antonio Pierce as HC (good choice IMHO) so the best Getsy would do here is OC. Their QB situation is cloudy at the moment.  Kingsbury was supposed to help Pierce get credibility as a former HC himself.  Makes me wonder if a former HC is what they’re looking for in this position?  IE: Kelly?  🤮

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

This made me lol.  No this isn’t my X account.  

IMG_6479.jpeg

That is a hilarious trade. I was figuring #2, a 2nd rounder, a 2025 1st, and something else (player or another pick).

24 minutes ago, adam said:

That is a hilarious trade. I was figuring #2, a 2nd rounder, a 2025 1st, and something else (player or another pick).

Thats all you're going to get unless some team wants to move past Washington and raises the stakes. No way they would throw in McLaurian. 

Colin Cowherd was repeating a narrative we all had heard 8 weeks earlier - that Caleb didnt want to go to Chicago. This is before we fired Getsy for context.

Cowherd also reported yesterday that Williams' camp contacted him and told him it wasnt true, and he would play for whoever drafts him.

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

Colin Cowherd was repeating a narrative we all had heard 8 weeks earlier - that Caleb didnt want to go to Chicago. This is before we fired Getsy for context.

Cowherd also reported yesterday that Williams' camp contacted him and told him it wasnt true, and he would play for whoever drafts him.

He also was quoted a week or so ago saying he will play anywhere. Rapport reported something similar and Biggs, who in my mind is an excellent writer, said all the smoke from social media is a bunch of bs and that in real NFL circles the general view on Williams soft skills and character is positive. 

Biggs said it and he doesn’t just spew nonsense. You also have his teammates coming out and backing that up too. 

This is not a George Pickens or Jalen Carter - this is more like when whomever it was said Fields wasn’t a hard worker and spewed bullshit (which wasn’t true). 

If anything teams are trying to do anything to try and manufacture a reason for Bears not to take him. Biggs had a quote from one GM - who said I hope they stick with Fields and trade Williams for a hall but that was just wishful thinking on his part hoping Bears wouldn’t take him. 

4 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Found it interesting that Kingsbury is now being considered for the Washington OC job. Are the ducks lining up for Williams in Washington. Interesting. 

Sure enough. I just read an article:

Kliff Kingsbury's flip could add new wrinkle to Bears' upcoming QB decision

That speculates:

1) Washington is preparing to make a run at trading for our #1 pick to select Williams to give Kingsbury "his man."

2) This would put the Bears on the clock to draft Drake Maye, who many think is as good or not better than Williams.

3) That it would further put the Raiders at the top of the list to trade for Fields because, as I quote from the article:

Kingsbury's about-face with the Raiders also reopens Las Vegas as a potential landing spot for Justin Fields should the Bears trade him. Raiders assistant general manager Champ Kelly was the Bears' assistant director of player personnel when Ryan Pace drafted Fields in 2021, and the Silver and Black are in need of a long-term answer under center.

Would anyone be interested in Max Crosby plus a 3rd or 4th rd pick in a trade for Fields?

20 minutes ago, Pixote said:

Would anyone be interested in Max Crosby plus a 3rd or 4th rd pick in a trade for Fields?

I’d be interested in any type of trade that includes Crosby.  Just as long as Maye isn’t the QB at the end.  🤢

Don’t tell Magnolia I said that. 😝

2 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I’d be interested in any type of trade that includes Crosby.  Just as long as Maye isn’t the QB at the end.  🤢

Don’t tell Magnolia I said that. 😝

LOL, You don't like Maye?

26 minutes ago, Pixote said:

Thats worth more than a second round pick, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

1 minute ago, BearFan PHX said:

Thats worth more than a second round pick, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

If the Bears were to trade Fields, and we were lucky enough to get Crosby in a trade, it would be awesome to match him up with Sweat.

2 minutes ago, Pixote said:

LOL, You don't like Maye?

Wouldn’t say I don’t “like” Maye just don’t trust him (or what the “experts” are saying about him).  And because Mongo likes him I have to be a contrarian.  😂

Did you miss our “Undisputed” exchange?  

1 minute ago, Pixote said:

If the Bears were to trade Fields, and we were lucky enough to get Crosby in a trade, it would be awesome to match him up with Sweat.

for sure. I think we are gonna add at least one major piece on the DL this offseason. COuld be at 3T, could be an edge. Could be a free agent, and could be a first round draft pick. And if we get a decent or better player at FS, we are gonna be one of the best defenses in the league.