Bears Caleb Williams Official Visit

adam

Apparently this visit is scheduled for tomorrow. Normally visits don't happen until late March and/or early April, so this is considered "early". From Breer, it seems like the Bears will make a decision this week, and definitely ahead of the start of free agency.

If the Bears were planning to trade Fields, they believe his value will decrease once free agency opens. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/03/04/combine-takeaways-bears-plan-williams-draft-quarterback-fields

The bottom line is, we should know this week what the Bears intentions are going forward. This will be a relief because ever since the #1 pick was locked up, there has been this discourse between Fields v Williams. I will be glad when that is over, regardless the route they go.

2 hours ago, adam said:

Listening to the SCORE this morning and he blew the visit off . It's now supposed to be until the end of March. Free agency will be almost over by then. Not being able to trade Justin this week going to change the story line. Look for the first pick traded this week. 

The top rated CB going into the Combine did the physical and they found a Johnson fracture in his leg. I have no idea what that is but it will affect his draft position.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Listening to the SCORE this morning and he blew the visit off . It's now supposed to be until the end of March. Free agency will be almost over by then. Not being able to trade Justin this week going to change the story line. Look for the first pick traded this week. 

The top rated CB going into the Combine did the physical and they found a Johnson fracture in his leg. I have no idea what that is but it will affect his draft position.

Then we have some conflicting reports. Here is Biggs saying that they are drafting Williams on the SCORE this morning: https://t.co/Fd88KKPafk

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Where are you reading this? All I saw was reports about him visiting with Bears at combine (he met with them and later there was also a meeting with Caleb's team).  All reports are that those conversations went very well.  

This and other less than mainline beat writers are putting this content out.  

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/caleb-williams-draft-rumors-visit-bears-justin-fields-trade/8503a257ef3d4b57e8ca0d3d

A bit more reputable, NBC Sports says the same thing (waiting until 20 March USC Pro Day).  

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/report-caleb-williams-to-visit-bears-after-uscs-march-20-pro-day

9 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

This and other less than mainline beat writers are putting this content out.  

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/caleb-williams-draft-rumors-visit-bears-justin-fields-trade/8503a257ef3d4b57e8ca0d3d

A bit more reputable, NBC Sports says the same thing (waiting until 20 March USC Pro Day).  

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/report-caleb-williams-to-visit-bears-after-uscs-march-20-pro-day

Man those articles are confusing. The title says they are referencing Breer's article, but when you read it, it says traditionally players do their visits in that period AFTER the March 20th pro day, but Williams was scheduled to meet the Bears on Tuesday.

The other article says "and Williams' early visit will only fuel that continued speculation"

Williams is not visiting with the Bears this week - he is visiting with them right after his pro day. Williams did meet with Bears at the combine. I think originally Poles wanted to have his meeting later this week - the presumption now is, Bears heard more than enough to answer their questions and decided to wait and tackle around the pro day which is the more traditional timing.  

If you read Breer's piece closely you can see it mentions that somewhere.  I will notate - part of this is speculation.  Basically put - it implied that the Bears have been super aggressive with Caleb and his camp all off-season thus far and so far every box has been checked, so much so that the Bears are comfortable easing off a bit and I presume will refocus on other off-season items.  

5 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Williams is not visiting with the Bears this week - he is visiting with them right after his pro day. Williams did meet with Bears at the combine. I think originally Poles wanted to have his meeting later this week - the presumption now is, Bears heard more than enough to answer their questions and decided to wait and tackle around the pro day which is the more traditional timing.  

If you read Breer's piece closely you can see it mentions that somewhere.  I will notate - part of this is speculation.  Basically put - it implied that the Bears have been super aggressive with Caleb and his camp all off-season thus far and so far every box has been checked, so much so that the Bears are comfortable easing off a bit and I presume will refocus on other off-season items.  

Breers is clearly wrong, that's not a rumor . Most news you here now are opinions. Poles lets no information out, we have two years of proof of that fact. Any GM that plans on basing its off-season choices with incomplete information, will not be a GM very long. Poles already got burned with signing Larry O and then he flunked the physical, that changed his whole plan his first year.

Poles was all in on Caleb and that's why they scheduled the  visit right away to finish the process. Caleb blowing it off matters with trading Fields but may not affect drafting him. I guarantee Poles is pissed about this. Caleb is the only player to ever blow off the Combine medicals . That's not a feather in his cap. 

8 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Breers is clearly wrong, that's not a rumor . Most news you here now are opinions. Poles lets no information out, we have two years of proof of that fact. Any GM that plans on basing its off-season choices with incomplete information, will not be a GM very long. Poles already got burned with signing Larry O and then he flunked the physical, that changed his whole plan his first year.

Poles was all in on Caleb and that's why they scheduled the  visit right away to finish the process. Caleb blowing it off matters with trading Fields but may not affect drafting him. I guarantee Poles is pissed about this. Caleb is the only player to ever blow off the Combine medicals . That's not a feather in his cap. 

How do we even know anything was scheduled? Like you said, if Breer is just giving his opinion, maybe he thought they were do a visit right after the combine since Williams was close by in Indy. Who know if anything was actually scheduled, because nothing came from the Bears. Normally their visits are announced.

I am sure Poles wishes he had the physical now rather than later, but i also think it changes nothing. If there is a physical problem with Williams Poles will take that into account for his draft strategy. But Fields is gone not just because Williams is available, but because he sucks as a QB. That isnt changing no matter what Williams does.

4 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

I am sure Poles wishes he had the physical now rather than later, but i also think it changes nothing. If there is a physical problem with Williams Poles will take that into account for his draft strategy. But Fields is gone not just because Williams is available, but because he sucks as a QB. That isnt changing no matter what Williams does.

Absolutely. However, there feels like an element of strategy here, and Williams may have been in on it. There is a chance the Bears already told Williams they are selecting him, thus the reason why he was so relaxed at the combine. The Bears could've even told him not to do it to prevent injury. For the medicals and visit, if they schedule it early, like everyone suspected they wanted to, doesn't that show more proof that they are leaning towards him than any other option in the draft? Why make it that obvious?

Everything has felt sort of artificial. The first we hear about Williams official visit to the Bears is the day before the proposed visit. Then that gets postponed until after his pro day within an hour?

So are the Bears really going to trade Fields before even getting medicals done on Williams?

It's possible that they aren't trading Fields OR they are planning to select a different QB OR they believe there are not going to be medical issues (Williams has never missed a game). 

This just got hairy for a lot of QB needy teams. Poles controls the draft and to an extent free agency. The QB plan is integral to the overall roster. You can't just figure that out later. 

1 hour ago, adam said:

Absolutely. However, there feels like an element of strategy here, and Williams may have been in on it. There is a chance the Bears already told Williams they are selecting him, thus the reason why he was so relaxed at the combine. The Bears could've even told him not to do it to prevent injury. For the medicals and visit, if they schedule it early, like everyone suspected they wanted to, doesn't that show more proof that they are leaning towards him than any other option in the draft? Why make it that obvious?

Everything has felt sort of artificial. The first we hear about Williams official visit to the Bears is the day before the proposed visit. Then that gets postponed until after his pro day within an hour?

So are the Bears really going to trade Fields before even getting medicals done on Williams?

It's possible that they aren't trading Fields OR they are planning to select a different QB OR they believe there are not going to be medical issues (Williams has never missed a game). 

This just got hairy for a lot of QB needy teams. Poles controls the draft and to an extent free agency. The QB plan is integral to the overall roster. You can't just figure that out later. 

Im not suggesting they will "just figure it out later" but with any draft, if you're not picking with #1 then you're mapping scenarios and contingencies. Every GM does that throughout the draft, it'd be rare to not be doing that, as you can only avoid that with the #1 pick. So it's what they do as a matter of course anyway.

I also think Poles can pretty much "gamble" that Williams has no injuries, since there is no indication of anything, and he WILL get a definitive answer before the draft, just not before trading Fields.

So the question really is, if Caleb announced tomorrow that he is quitting football, or he had a medical evaluation at the combine that came back really bad, would Poles be keeping Fields? I don't think he would, so that means Williams' medical eval isn't really a determining factor in making the Fields trade?

One of the reasons Caleb bailed from the Bowl game was because he had a hamstring injury. Also he had a hand injury during the season but played thru it. No GM is not going to consider medicals when planning their draft strategy. You gamble on players in the third round and above, not with the first pick in the draft.

We're talking about what Poles is going to do, he's to smart to gamble with the first pick in the draft. He may end up drafting Williams but he is not trading Fields before he has that information. 

Right now everything in NFL circles is assumptions. Caleb is generational, Bears are automatically taking Caleb. Fields has no market. 

Their will be no market on Fields until the draft. 9 teams could upgrade their QB position in this draft. There are 6 draftable QBs that could be future starters. According to experts.  There are few options in Free agency, Cousins and Mayfield come to mind. The teams are just now making their plans after the combine. Fields is not anybody's first  option if they can still draft a QB of which won't be clear until after free agency . Wilson is now part of the options so until him, Cousins and  Mayfield are signed the starter questions are up in he air. That brings it down to 6 teams still needing QBs, until they figure out they can't get their guy in the draft, then they will attempt to get Justin. It will be on draft day if he gets traded at all.

34 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

So the question really is, if Caleb announced tomorrow that he is quitting football, or he had a medical evaluation that came back really bad, would Poles be keeping Fields? I don't think he would, so that means Williams' medical eval isnt really a determining factor in making the Fields trade?

Don't count out the possibility that Poles thinks more of Fields than you do.

If I remember correctly, you were quite confident that Flus would be fired at the end of the season.

I love his new beard. 😉

8 minutes ago, Pixote said:

Don't count out the possibility that Poles thinks more of Fields than you do.

If I remember correctly, you were quite confident that Flus would be fired at the end of the season.

I love his new beard. 😉

I said "I don't THINK he would" - I still think Flus should have been fired, and if Poles keeps Justin and doesn't draft a high pick rookie QB, then Poles should be fired and probably would be after a dismal next season. Also what I said was that keeping Flus would miss an opportunity to get a better coach who could give us an edge in winning. I also said we could win with Flus if the assistants are good. I said Justin was the one you HAVE to get rid of, and Flus is one you SHOULD get rid of. I still think Harbaugh would have been better.

But you're right that anything can happen, but it's also fair to say that the chance that Fields is back is miniscule. It's that pesky difference between possible and likely again. Wishes rather than information and analysis.

If your main argument is that anything I ever say is probably be wrong because I didn't think he'd keep Flus, I think that's pretty weak, since every one of us has been wrong multiple times. When Fields is traded do i get to discount anything you ever say again because you liked him? That wouldnt be fair either would it?

But dude, Fields sucks as a QB. I cant believe we are still here at this late date, hearing that the league isnt even interested in trading much for him, and you and a few others are still so sure that Fields is awesome. He isnt. He's a bad QB. A great runner, a great person, a terrible NFL QB. You really need to get back to reality here.

8 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Where are you reading this? All I saw was reports about him visiting with Bears at combine (he met with them and later there was also a meeting with Caleb's team).  All reports are that those conversations went very well.  

I heard  it on the SCORE and have now seen on X. It's about the medicals, not a 20 minute meeting at the Combine. To complete their pre draft process they need the medicals. Caleb blow off the Combine and now has turned down the immediate meeting right after the combine. I think their buying into Caleb and that's why they want to finish their process but he delayed that for 2 weeks. They are not trading Fields before they know who their drafting, clearly this  screws up their plans. That's a red flag to not want to visit the most likely team that drafts you after blowing off the medicals at the Combine. He is only player to ever not do the medicals at the Combine.

Is he hiding something? No one knows because he's not playing ball with the information process. It's a red flag

5 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

I said "I don't THINK he would" - I still think Flus should have been fired, and if Poles keeps Justin and doesn't draft a high pick rookie QB, then Poles should be fired and probably would be after a dismal next season. Also what I said was that keeping Flus would miss an opportunity to get a better coach who could give us an edge in winning. I also said we could win with Flus if the assistants are good. I said Justin was the one you HAVE to get rid of, and Flus is one you SHOULD get rid of. I still think Harbaugh would have been better.

But you're right that anything can happen, but it's also fair to say that the chance that Fields is back is miniscule. It's that pesky difference between possible and likely again. Wishes rather than information and analysis.

If your main argument is that anything I ever say is probably be wrong because I didn't think he'd keep Flus, I think that's pretty weak, since every one of us has been wrong multiple times. When Fields is traded do i get to discount anything you ever say again because you liked him? That wouldnt be fair either would it?

But dude, Fields sucks as a QB. I cant believe we are still here at this late date, hearing that the league isnt even interested in trading much for him, and you and a few others are still so sure that Fields is awesome. He isnt. He's a bad QB. A great runner, a great person, a terrible NFL QB. You really need to get back to reality here.

You speak in absolutes, Justin is terrible. I get  blowing  off anyone's opinion in here, we're just fans but many football people doesn't agree with you. You keep dismissing anyone that disagrees with you. I value Dave Wannsted 's opinion over you. I value DJ Moore's opinion over yours. I can list 20 people that I trust more than your opinion but that's a mute task because you think you've smarter than them. You have every right to have your opinion but so does everyone else. 

Since we are all calling each other out now, I think we should all get on the record with what our position is on Caleb Williams. No one has a crystal ball, no one KNOWS - we know that, but if you had to bet, what's the most likely outcome for Caleb? Put yourself on the line and say what you think.

I think Williams will take the Bears to multiple Superbowls, and end up in the Hall of Fame.

Does that mean I know for a certainty that Williams wont get hit by a bus and never play football? Of course not. No one can predict the entire complex future. But if he goes to the Bears and plays, do you think he's gonna be bust, mediocre, great? Say it now, because I don't want to see you guys all on the Caleb Williams bandwagon when he takes us where we've never been before as an offense. Youll have to say that you were the ones who thought we shouldn't take WIlliams, and stay with Fields. And boy are you gonna feel dumb.

"Walter Payton? A small school running back? No way, we have to take DE Mack Mitchell. Defense wins championships" and then sit there and watch 15 years of greatness and sweetness. Why? Because you can't let go of Fields in your mind. We are on the precipice of greatness and you're so distracted by a QB that never did anything to dominate.

And you're gonna have to watch how Fields does in the next few years too. All you're gonna have is excuses why the Falcons or Steelers didnt give him what he needed.

The train is leaving the station gents. Now is the time to get on board with the future of the franchise. Youre gonna love him, and youre gonna feel really bad that you didnt get excited when he came here.

So what's your prediction we can put in a time capsule and revisit in 3 years? I put mine up there in the second paragraph.

5 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

You speak in absolutes, Justin is terrible. I get  blowing  off anyone's opinion in here, we're just fans but many football people doesn't agree with you. You keep dismissing anyone that disagrees with you. I value Dave Wannsted 's opinion over you. I value DJ Moore's opinion over yours. I can list 20 people that I trust more than your opinion but that's a mute task because you think you've smarter than them. You have every right to have your opinion but so does everyone else. 

I dont think Im smarter than them. I think this Justin Fields love thing has gotten completely out of control.

I dont think all my opinions are gold - this isnt a character flaw or an ego problem. I'm not like this about everything I believe am I? So youre wrong about that too - it's just a cheap shot, since you have no real data.

It's that I've watched the all 22 film, and you're telling me things I know just arent true. Youre saying 2+2=5 to me. You're telling me you love the king's new clothes. But I can see with my own eyes in completely clear ways that he is stark naked.

You just cant let Justin go, and you're blaming me for that. Justin is not good. The numbers say it, the film says it, and the lack of high value trade offers from other teams say it.

I don't know if Wannstedt has watched the all 22 film. I would bet he hasnt. But the GMs have. Where are the first round trade offers? Where are the 300 yard passing games? Where are the 4th quarter comebacks? Where are the consistent throws in tempo? Where is any kind of reliable passing in the middle of the field? Where is even reading defenses?!

It's CUH-RAZY at this point. You are just a fan and you dont know what youre talking about. You dont even see throwing mechanics on film. You arent qualified to have an opinion which is why all you do is repeat others. And at this point the huge percentage of talking heads are agreeing with me too, but that doesnt sway you. Your old argument of authority is shrinking in number of names. But you dont even follow your own argument and just stick with the Justinmania.

Youre wrong, and you cant admit it, and you think that means I have a problem LOL

55 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Man, you are so paranoid. I am not calling you out, criticizing your opinion, or questioning your intelligence.

AND, I am not saying Fields is a great QB!

What I AM SAYING is we have too much draft capital and time tied up with his development that we cannot afford to give him away for a third or fourth rounder. 

This year his trade value is limited. It's a great draft for QB hungry teams. Williams, Maye, Daniels, Nix, Penix, McCarty,etc...

This year is a good year for FA QBs (if not tagged or resigned) with Wilson, Mayfield, Cousins, etc...

Next year, from what I've been told, the draft sucks for QBs.

Now, I assume the Bears will draft a QB this year. Who will they draft, hell, I have no idea.

We all seem to feel that whoever we draft should sit for at least the first half of the season before starting.

Instead of trying to start Bagent, or signing a back up to bridge the gap while waiting to start our rookie, why not keep Fields and start him?

If he plays decent before being benched, with the poor selection of QB options available for QB hungry teams next year (there are always half a dozen or more teams needing a new QB), we could then trade him for possibly a 1st round pick instead of a 3rd or 4th.

That to me is maximizing the value of your resources.

That doesn't mean I think Fields is a GOAT.

It means I am sick and tired of giving players away.

45 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

I dont think Im smarter than them. I think this Justin Fields love thing has gotten completely out of control.

I dont think all my opinions are gold - this isnt a character flaw or an ego problem. I'm not like this about everything I believe am I? So youre wrong about that too - it's just a cheap shot, since you have no real data.

It's that I've watched the all 22 film, and you're telling me things I know just arent true. Youre saying 2+2=5 to me. You're telling me you love the king's new clothes. But I can see with my own eyes in completely clear ways that he is stark naked.

You just cant let Justin go, and you're blaming me for that. Justin is not good. The numbers say it, the film says it, and the lack of high value trade offers from other teams say it.

I don't know if Wannstedt has watched the all 22 film. I would bet he hasnt. But the GMs have. Where are the first round trade offers? Where are the 300 yard passing games? Where are the 4th quarter comebacks? Where are the consistent throws in tempo? Where is any kind of reliable passing in the middle of the field? Where is even reading defenses?!

It's CUH-RAZY at this point. You are just a fan and you dont know what youre talking about. You dont even see throwing mechanics on film. You arent qualified to have an opinion which is why all you do is repeat others. And at this point the huge percentage of talking heads are agreeing with me too, but that doesnt sway you. Your old argument of authority is shrinking in number of names. But you dont even follow your own argument and just stick with the Justinmania.

Youre wrong, and you cant admit it, and you think that means I have a problem LOL

I have no problem with your opinion ,   the truth is other smart people don't agree with you. Dave Wannsted is an analyst on several programs. He's  paid to give opinions and has contacts in football. You're telling me he can't have watched all 22 because he doesn't agree with you. That is exactly the type of statements you make that makes no sense. I guarantee you he has put in much more time on  this subject that you have. I listen to him several times a week. 

41 minutes ago, Pixote said:

Man, you are so paranoid. I am not calling you out, criticizing your opinion, or questioning your intelligence.

Well youre calling me paranoid. But I dont care. Whatever. Ive accepted that we all choose to be a little rough and sarcastic here, fine, just dont mind if I do it too then, Ill go the speed of traffic.

What you said was I was wrong about Flus so I dont know everything, and I answered that point. I didnt say you were mean, but I did say that your argument is flawed because we all make mistakes, and I clarified what id actually said about Flus. And also that i wasnt predicting what Poles would do, I was saying what i think he SHOULD do. That's why i said "what I THINK" Iw asnt wrong. I was right - I do think Poles should have fired Flus. But what he cant do is keep Fields. Not saying wont. Saying cant. Shouldnt. Would be foolish if he did.

But none of this matters. People can be an offended as they want to about the idea that I am certain that Fields sucks. Well I am. I am certain. I have seen it and I am genuinely baffled anyone thinks otherwise at this point. I think it couldnt be more obvious. It is rare that I am so certain about anything as I am about Justin. So this isnt a problem with me thinking Im so great - Im just completely convinced on this one question.

There are people who think the earth is flat. I think theyre wrong too, and I dont go around saying "well of course you could be right" its just wrong. This time last year it was a debate, but the experiment is over. Justin sucks.

I dont want him in camp with a rookie. It's not a good move for morale, and frankly I see Justin's presence and performance hampering a rookie's development, not giving excellent advice about reading defenses because he is still trying to learn it himself.

5 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

Well youre calling me paranoid. But I dont care. Whatever. Ive accepted that we all choose to be a little rough and sarcastic here, fine, just dont mind if I do it too then, Ill go the speed of traffic.

What you said was I was wrong about Flus so I dont know everything, and I answered that point. I didnt say you were mean, but I did say that your argument is flawed because we all make mistakes, and I clarified what id actually said about Flus. And also that i wasnt predicting what Poles would do, I was saying what i think he SHOULD do. That's why i said "what I THINK" Iw asnt wrong. I was right - I do think Poles should have fired Flus. But what he cant do is keep Fields. Not saying wont. Saying cant. Shouldnt. Would be foolish if he did.

But none of this matters. People can be an offended as they want to about the idea that I am certain that Fields sucks. Well I am. I am certain. I have seen it and I am genuinely baffled anyone thinks otherwise at this point. I think it couldnt be more obvious. It is rare that I am so certain about anything as I am about Justin. So this isnt a problem with me thinking Im so great - Im just completely convinced on this one question.

There are people who think the earth is flat. I think theyre wrong too, and I dont go around saying "well of course you could be right" its just wrong. This time last year it was a debate, but the experiment is over. Justin sucks.

I dont want him in camp with a rookie. It's not a good move for morale, and frankly I see Justin's presence and performance hampering a rookie's development, not giving excellent advice about reading defenses because he is still trying to learn it himself.

Totally understand your points, no problem with your opinion. Other people don't share your opinion but you keep saying ( baffled anyone thinks otherwise) and then compare (thinking Justin isn't terrible), to flat earth truthers. 

Those comments speak for themselves

. There is  no right or wrong about Flus. Only your prediction he was gone was wrong. He may very well valid your opinion or he could turn out to be a good HC. We have a front row seat to that movie.  The right or wrong about Flus will happen one year from now after they play a season of football. The Bears are my favorite sports team and I'm routing for them to win, not be right about a coaching decision.

LOL it wasnt my prediction he would be gone it was my opinion he SHOULD be gone. I still think that.

But youre grasping at straws. Justin is gone, Bears will draft a new QB. Its a good thing. Dont know why youre so stuck, but thats your deal.