Caleb Williams - First time ever excited about a Chicago Bears quarterback!

Light63

I’ve never been so pumped and excited about having a quarterback the caliber of Caleb Williams since the Super Bowl Shuffle - 46 quarterbacks since then. I was happy about Justin Fields when we moved up to get him. I truly thought we have our “It” quarterback. Now, three years later, Fields is not “It.” He doesn’t have the vision of a quarterback.

Picking Williams on the first pick will turn around the Chicago Bears’ misfortune of having bad to mediocre to good quarterbacks. Finally, we’ll have an “It” quarterback.

Thanks, BearsFan PHX and Stinger226. I’ve been with Talkbears for so long, perhaps since Talkbears and Soxtalk branched out. I just never registered before.

It’s sad to read on X, formerly called Twitter, about how dry the market has been for Justin Fields. We might not even getting 2nd or 3rd round for him!

Another great thing with picking up Caleb is the restarting of the rookie contract. Imagine getting all that talent in Caleb for four years and the optional fifth year.

Fields was mishandled by the Bears and he never developed.  He could possibly turn it around, but with the top pick in the draft and a QB like CW that only comes every 5 to 10 years, the Bears cannot pass on the opportunity.  

As exciting as getting the biggest draft haul in history can be, the Bears would be a QB away from winning it all. We watched it with Rex.  Many fans feel bad for JF, we know he was and will be done wrong, but the game is about a trophy and starting fresh with a QB with CW talent gives the Bears the best shot for many years.

33 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Fields was mishandled by the Bears and he never developed.  He could possibly turn it around, but with the top pick in the draft and a QB like CW that only comes every 5 to 10 years, the Bears cannot pass on the opportunity.  

As exciting as getting the biggest draft haul in history can be, the Bears would be a QB away from winning it all. We watched it with Rex.  Many fans feel bad for JF, we know he was and will be done wrong, but the game is about a trophy and starting fresh with a QB with CW talent gives the Bears the best shot for many years.

There is no doubt that the Bears didnt help Fields at all. Nagy was a disaster for everyone, and from his first start thrown against the Browns defensive line without even first team reps was a crime. After that, they tore the team down to the studs in 2022, and we werent going to win any games. Last year Justin had a better situation, but there was a lot of pressure up the middle that made things tougher.

You could easily forgive everything those first two years, and even understand losing a bunch of games this past year, but Justin also didn't show flashes of reading defenses or getting the ball out in rhythm, playing in structure etc, and his mechanics have been consistently poor - so he didnt shine either.

It's fair to say that the Bears didnt help Justin enough, but it's also fair to say that Justin didn't take what they gave him either.

At any rate, we are moving forward and I am extremely excited about our future.

2 hours ago, Light63 said:

Thanks, BearsFan PHX and Stinger226. I’ve been with Talkbears for so long, perhaps since Talkbears and Soxtalk branched out. I just never registered before.

It’s sad to read on X, formerly called Twitter, about how dry the market has been for Justin Fields. We might not even getting 2nd or 3rd round for him!

Another great thing with picking up Caleb is the restarting of the rookie contract. Imagine getting all that talent in Caleb for four years and the optional fifth year.

I don't think teams will go after Fields until their draft plans and free agency are done. Someone is not ending up with a QB, that's when the market develops. Unfortunately its fantasy football to think we would get a one for him, two is probably fair depending on how many teams still need a QB.

14 hours ago, Light63 said:

I’ve never been so pumped and excited about having a quarterback the caliber of Caleb Williams since the Super Bowl Shuffle - 46 quarterbacks since then. I was happy about Justin Fields when we moved up to get him. I truly thought we have our “It” quarterback. Now, three years later, Fields is not “It.” He doesn’t have the vision of a quarterback.

Picking Williams on the first pick will turn around the Chicago Bears’ misfortune of having bad to mediocre to good quarterbacks. Finally, we’ll have an “It” quarterback.

Dang, Simms has been hot on picking the best QBs.  I may have to take his lead.  BTW - welcome to the board.

Good Chris Simms QB calls
  • 2017: Called Patrick Mahomes the most special QB in the draft.
  • 2018: Ranked Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen over Mayfield/Darnold/Rosen.
  • 2020: Had Burrow-Herbert-Love-Tua as top 4.
  • 2023: Ranked C.J. Stroud over Bryce Young.

2 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Dang, Simms has been hot on picking the best QBs.  I may have to take his lead.  BTW - welcome to the board.

Good Chris Simms QB calls
  • 2017: Called Patrick Mahomes the most special QB in the draft.
  • 2018: Ranked Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen over Mayfield/Darnold/Rosen.
  • 2020: Had Burrow-Herbert-Love-Tua as top 4.
  • 2023: Ranked C.J. Stroud over Bryce Young.

Most so called experts don't have a good track record at being right. Simms appears to be more accurate 

15 hours ago, Light63 said:

Welcome aboard! If you were here at the split you are an oldtimer, that was a long time ago. 

Yeah, the Chris Simms review of Williams has to get you excited about the player. I think when you look back at pure QB potential, Williams would be the best QB the Bears have ever drafted since Jim McMahon in terms of pedigree coming out of college. He will have the most yards and TDs of any Bears QB ever drafted:

College Passing Totals
Williams - 1099 passing attempts, 10082 yards, 93 TDs in college. 
McNown - 1153 passing attempts, 10008 yards, 61 TDs in college.
McMahon - 1060 passing attempts, 9536 yards, 84 TDs in college.
Grossman - 1110 passing attempts, 9164 yards, 77 TDs in college.
Fields - 618 passing attempts, 5701 yards, 67 TDs in college.
Harbaugh - 582 passing attempts, 5214 yards, 31 TDs in college.
Trubisky - 572 passing attempts, 4762 yards, 41 TDs in college.

Caleb certainly has all the football tools coming in. From here, the most likely bust scenarios come from the Bears failing Caleb rather than the other way around. I'm sure Fields fans can agree on that.

I don't know a lot about Waldron, but the little I do know looks good. I'm also hearing that our passing game coordinator, Thomas Brown, is an up and coming dynamic talent that's expected to be an amazing head coach some day by people around the league. It seems they're grooming him for an Offensive Coordinator position. He'll be working closely with Caleb, and supposedly provide feedback and a check to those above him about what works and what doesn't from Caleb (and his) point of view. He's going to be unsung but very important for us, and his apparent reputation is another reason to hope things are going to go well for the Bears development of Williams.

I dunno how long we will be able to keep them all, but we seem to have assembled a hell of a staff.

14 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

The Bears absolutely screwed the pooch with Fields - failing to provide him the tools to develop and surrounding him with enough talent. Justin owns some of this but the majority is on the coaching staff/front office. 

Given the Bears have the #1 pick I fully expect them to draft a new starting QB.  I'm good with however Poles and staff chooses to do this. My only hope is they have the structure around this new QB so he can be successful. If not, we'll be starting process over again in 3/4 years. 

Peace

2 minutes ago, Connorbear said:

The Bears absolutely screwed the pooch with Fields - failing to provide him the tools to develop and surrounding him with enough talent. Justin owns some of this but the majority is on the coaching staff/front office. 

Given the Bears have the #1 pick I fully expect them to draft a new starting QB.  I'm good with however Poles and staff chooses to do this. My only hope is they have the structure around this new QB so he can be successful. If not, we'll be starting process over again in 3/4 years. 

Peace

I don’t believe this narrative about Fields being failed as the reason for his failure.

Nagy went back to KC and worked with Mahomes.

Getsy was promptly hired by the Raiders after being fired from the Bears.

There are always excuses available for failure, but in the end it is down to the individual.

I will be very interested to see how Poles acts.

10 minutes ago, Daventry said:

I don’t believe this narrative about Fields being failed as the reason for his failure.

There are always excuses available for failure, but in the end it is down to the individual.

I will be very interested to see how Poles acts.

well you know I think Fields isnt a good QB, but Nagy did screw up the team, and we gutted the roster in 2022. Those things happened too.

But while the excuses do explain the lack of wins, the lack of plays where Fields made a read on time and then threw the ball says to me that Fields is deeply flawed as well.

When we drafted him, he had fundamental problems that needed to be fixed, and so far they still haven't been. maybe a QB guru would have helped, but Fields could do it any day he decided to. No one made him hold the ball when he was looking at open receivers. Whatever that was probably needed a sports psychologist rather than another coach.

And Im not saying Fields has mental illness! I'm saying that he has some kind of mental block in his game. lots of players see sports psychologists who arent crazy to gain an edge on their mental game.

34 minutes ago, Connorbear said:

Peace

Word.  Absolutely.  

27 minutes ago, Daventry said:

Nagy went back under the umbrella of Andy Reid and the talent of Mahomes as his cover.  Look no further than Bienemy purposefully trying to get from under that same cover and finding himself out of a job in Washington and now back in the college ranks with UCLA.

As far as Getsy goes, the best I can hypothesize is he’s the same animal as  Nathaniel Hackett.  The guy who lost his HC gig after one year and floundered as an OC with the Jets once Rodgers was unavailable.  Getsy IMHO has a lot more to prove than does Justin. 

18 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Nagy went back under the umbrella of Andy Reid and the talent of Mahomes as his cover.  Look no further than Bienemy purposefully trying to get from under that same cover and finding himself out of a job in Washington and now back in the college ranks with UCLA.

As far as Getsy goes, the best I can hypothesize is he’s the same animal as  Nathaniel Hackett.  The guy who lost his HC gig after one year and floundered as an OC with the Jets once Rodgers was unavailable.  Getsy IMHO has a lot more to prove than does Justin. 

I am no fan of Nagy, but he got a job after he left Chicago.  Bottom line fact.  With a team that won the Super Bowl.  Fact.

Getsy also got a job.  Fact.

Check Fields stats.  Facts.

The facts speak for themselves.  The facts in this situation are multi faceted and all point to JF leaving IMO.

We have a once in many years chance of getting a generally believed to be a blue chip quarterback.  I hope we get him.

45 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

well you know I think Fields isnt a good QB, but Nagy did screw up the team, and we gutted the roster in 2022. Those things happened too.

But while the excuses do explain the lack of wins, the lack of plays where Fields made a read on time and then threw the ball says to me that Fields is deeply flawed as well.

When we drafted him, he had fundamental problems that needed to be fixed, and so far they still haven't been. maybe a QB guru would have helped, but Fields could do it any day he decided to. No one made him hold the ball when he was looking at open receivers. Whatever that was probably needed a sports psychologist rather than another coach.

And Im not saying Fields has mental illness! I'm saying that he has some kind of mental block in his game. lots of players see sports psychologists who arent crazy to gain an edge on their mental game.

I think Pace screwed things up more than anyone.  And while he traded away draft picks and overpaid for veterans, most here said little and many supported him.  We can’t know the politics of it all and who did what entirely, but Pace sucked for sure.

Results speak for themselves.  There are always ways to bend reality to make a point, but the facts are overwhelming to me.

35 minutes ago, OmahaBear said:

I putting my money on the bears not taking Williams #1.   We all have seen to many drafts go sideways with the bears LOL.  

I am 60/40 they are taking Williams right now, just based on the body of evidence to this point. The JJ extension has $21M cap hits in 25, 26, and 27. Sweat is out to 27, Kmet as well. I would expect deals to have an out before 26 if they were keeping Fields.  So far the trade for Bates is Fields friendly and the JJ extension points towards a rookie QB. So we are 1 for each side.

22 minutes ago, adam said:

I am 60/40 they are taking Williams right now, just based on the body of evidence to this point. The JJ extension has $21M cap hits in 25, 26, and 27. Sweat is out to 27, Kmet as well. I would expect deals to have an out before 26 if they were keeping Fields.  So far the trade for Bates is Fields friendly and the JJ extension points towards a rookie QB. So we are 1 for each side.

If you look at the contracts KC had last year while paying big money to Mahomes, they had 8 over 10 million. 5 over 15 mil, 3 over 20. 

The cap is projected to go up 50 mil next year. I don't think any contracts we have on the roster right now prohibites them on doing anything 3 years from now. 

1 hour ago, Daventry said:

I am no fan of Nagy, but he got a job after he left Chicago.  Bottom line fact.  With a team that won the Super Bowl.  Fact.

Getsy also got a job.  Fact.

Check Fields stats.  Facts.

The facts speak for themselves.  The facts in this situation are multi faceted and all point to JF leaving IMO.

We have a once in many years chance of getting a generally believed to be a blue chip quarterback.  I hope we get him.

The facts also tell me that both Getsy and Nagy were fired from Chicago.  So far Fields has not.  

1 hour ago, Daventry said:

I think Pace screwed things up more than anyone.  And while he traded away draft picks and overpaid for veterans, most here said little and many supported him.  We can’t know the politics of it all and who did what entirely, but Pace sucked for sure.

Results speak for themselves.  There are always ways to bend reality to make a point, but the facts are overwhelming to me.

I agree, and I'm on your side of this debate as well. I'm just saying Fields isn't good AND the Bears did him no favors.

And whatever the case, Caleb is the real deal, and we have to take him. It'd be "crazy" not to.

28 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

I agree, and I'm on your side of this debate as well. I'm just saying Fields isn't good AND the Bears did him no favors.

And whatever the case, Caleb is the real deal, and we have to take him. It'd be "crazy" not to.

Agreed, he didn’t have it easy.  He seems to be a great guy, like Trubisky, and I wish him the best.

Big days for the Bears ahead!