Bears Sign S Kevin Byard!

BearFan PHX

The Bears have signed S Kevin Byard to a 2 year deal. Details are not yet available.

This is a HUGE move. He's been a perennial All Pro. Our secondary is stacked now.

Poles has filled the two glaring holes in our roster (C and FS) and free agency hasnt even started yet. That's not to say he won't do more at center.

These moves are also a sign that he's not trading the #1 pick.

6 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

The Bears have signed S Kevin Byard to a 2 year deal. Details are not yet available.

This is a HUGE move. He's been a perennial All Pro. Our secondary is stacked now.

Poles has filled the two glaring holes in our roster (C and FS) and free agency hasnt even started yet. That's not to say he won't do more at center.

These moves are also a sign that he's not trading the #1 pick.

With so many guys available, I am shocked Poles moved so fast on this one.

2 yrs for $15M seems a little high for me, that puts him in the top 15 in terms of Safety contracts AAV. It will be curious what guys like McKinney gets. I preferred McKinney. 

49 minutes ago, adam said:

2 yrs for $15M seems a little high for me, that puts him in the top 15 in terms of Safety contracts AAV. It will be curious what guys like McKinney gets. I preferred McKinney. 

7.5 mil  a year is an excellent price for a former pro bowl player. You think that's expensive?

1 hour ago, adam said:

I think NFL salary cap inflation makes it look a little high? He's also been a very good player, and I think McKinney is going to need something like $12M/yr and a longer term deal.

For sure Poles doesn't want to be tied to a big salary long term at FS. He'll draft one this year or probably next year. Especially since he's done so well finding defensive backs in later rounds.

I wonder how much is guaranteed and how easy it would be to get out of the deal next year too?

7 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

PFF had Byard as the 11 th ranked S last year. Definitely an upgrade over EJac

for sure. a ham sandwich would be an upgrade over Jackson, and Byard is a very good player. Getting a little old, but we only need him one or two years.

Ain't nobody gonna out work Byard.  This guy is a great locker room fit and a great player to lead the defensive backfield.  He may have lost half a step but you can bet he's working this offseason to get it back.   I expected we'd pay closer to $10mil for a FS so finding one now who was former All-Pro for what I think is going to be $7.5m/y is pretty good. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCcifj6nmsI

It might not be obvious but the times are changing.  2 years ago FAs spurned us even when we offered more money.  2 years ago the best coaches (coordinators) spurned us looking for a "better landing spot".    This year we were the first to sign one of the best OC candidates in the offseason.  Now you see a former All-Pro signing who, at this point in his career, almost certainly wants a chance to win a Superbowl but at least to be on the playoff team.  Now we have Pro Bowl talent at each level of the defense and two in the backfield.  Can we find a way to add one more on the front line like Danielle Hunter (est $17m/y)?  Or Christian Wilkins est $15m/y?   I don't think there's budget for that but it's tantalizing to think about it.    If we got Wilkins then grab Turner or Latu at 9.  

39 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Ain't nobody gonna out work Byard.  This guy is a great locker room fit and a great player to lead the defensive backfield.  He may have lost half a step but you can bet he's working this offseason to get it back.   I expected we'd pay closer to $10mil for a FS so finding one now who was former All-Pro for what I think is going to be $7.5m/y is pretty good. 

It might not be obvious but the times are changing.  2 years ago FAs spurned us even when we offered more money.  2 years ago the best coaches (coordinators) spurned us looking for a "better landing spot".    This year we were the first to sign one of the best OC candidates in the offseason.  Now you see a former All-Pro signing who, at this point in his career, almost certainly wants a chance to win a Superbowl but at least to be on the playoff team.  Now we have Pro Bowl talent at each level of the defense and two in the backfield.  Can we find a way to add one more on the front line like Danielle Hunter (est $17m/y)?  Or Christian Wilkins est $15m/y?   I don't think there's budget for that but it's tantalizing to think about it.    If we got Wilkins then grab Turner or Latu at 9.  

I read one stat were he has more interceptions (28) than he does missed tackles in his career. That's huge having such a well tackling FS. Poles is going for winning this year. Does he think a rookie QB gets us there?

Feels like we’re going to look back at a saturated safety market and someone is going to sign at a discount rate later in FA we might wish we’d signed over Byard, but if they liked the guy and the fit, then I can’t fault the move (and maybe you can still sign that guy later too?). 

1 hour ago, dawhizz said:

Feels like we’re going to look back at a saturated safety market and someone is going to sign at a discount rate later in FA we might wish we’d signed over Byard, but if they liked the guy and the fit, then I can’t fault the move (and maybe you can still sign that guy later too?). 

Good thing is, we don't have to pinch pennies yet.  Good to get your guy.

1 hour ago, dawhizz said:

Poles has to win this year, he has to upgrade from maybes to sure things. Byard is as close you can get to a  sure thing.

Seems like a solid short term vet signing. I am guessing they are going to spend on a dlinemen and want to get a few things checked off so they can focus on first few days in a couple key targets. 

My guess is either Vikings or Dolphins dlinemen and for some reason I think they add one of Saquon or Jacobs and then probably wait for a vet wideout signing and maybe pick up another guy olineman. 

2 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I think both of those guys are signing for 20M plus. 

21 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I think both of those guys are signing for 20M plus. 

They definitely are. I think we wait until after the first wave gets signed and grab a vet on a 1 year10 deal. Clowny comes to mind. He 

1 minute ago, Stinger226 said:

They definitely are. I think we wait until after the first wave gets signed and grab a vet on a 1 year10 deal. Clowny comes to mind. He 

I don’t like Clowneh. He goes everywhere and seems to never do much. He has been all hype. I want a 3 down impact linemen and the Bears have all the space to pay for one. 

3 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I don’t like Clowneh. He goes everywhere and seems to never do much. He has been all hype. I want a 3 down impact linemen and the Bears have all the space to pay for one. 

Last year he had 55 pressures. 9.5 sacks and signed for 2.5 mil, go get him.