dawhizz

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, dawhizz said:

How exactly did Caleb blow the Bears off? I’m genuinely wondering, as I have not been analyzing the minutiae of Caleb like some, but the only thing I can think of was the top 30 visit, which seemed to be pretty mutual as far as rescheduling due to the travel involved. 
https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/03/04/combine-takeaways-bears-plan-williams-draft-quarterback-fields

It wasn't. All the 30 visits were supposed to be after his pro day workout but because he didnt do medicals at the Combine, they requested a 30 visit earlier, Caleb's camp blew that off. 

At that time Poles hadn't decided yet and wanted the information now to make Fields available to trade. Because of the delay, he lost any advantage to get a decent return on Justin, then Mac Jones was traded for a 6 th and there was no market. 

He could have kept him and waited for a team that may had an injury or lost out on a draft QB but he traded him to a team that he has a chance to start. Wilson is there on a cheap deal, if Fields performs better, Tonkin plays the best players. That's what Poles meant when he wanted to do right by Justin. He took a lousy return to put Justin in a place he has a chance to start.

Poles   jumps now to make a  choice, if indeed it's Caleb. He had to pull trigger so the circus doesn't come to town.

4 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Yeah to say I’m disappointed would be an understatement.  Not so much about Justin leaving (that sucks) but to me there still seems to be more holes than high end - quality draft picks left.

Oh well I guess we have to trust Poles knows what he’s doing.  

I like most of what Poles has done so I trusted he made the right choice. He put us in the position to have the last two years of cap space and the draft. That's outstanding, im not complaining now because I disagree with a choice he made. 

I feel like my dog died today.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

It wasn't. All the 30 visits were supposed to be after his pro day workout but because he didnt do medicals at the Combine, they requested a 30 visit earlier, Caleb's camp blew that off. 

At that time Poles hadn't decided yet and wanted the information now to make Fields available to trade. Because of the delay, he lost any advantage to get a decent return on Justin, then Mac Jones was traded for a 6 th and there was no market. 

He could have kept him and waited for a team that may had an injury or lost out on a draft QB but he traded him to a team that he has a chance to start. Wilson is there on a cheap deal, if Fields performs better, Tonkin plays the best players. That's what Poles meant when he wanted to do right by Justin. He took a lousy return to put Justin in a place he has a chance to start.

Poles   jumps now to make a  choice, if indeed it's Caleb. He had to pull trigger so the circus doesn't come to town.

this is ridiculous and twisting to keep a dead narrative alive.

Caleb didnt do his physicals for anyone. He didnt blow the Bears off. The Bears wanted something special and Caleb said no, well do it regularly after my pro day.

But the idea that Caleb not giving medicals is why Justin didnt get more value? That's nonsense. Poles needed the medical but then traded Fields anyway before the medical? That whole narrativer already was proven false today.

Also, Tomlin has told Fields that he is not the starter, and it's not an open competition.

And worst of all hes not gonna pick Caleb to avoid a circus - hes going to pick Caleb because hes the best damned QB thats been available in a long time.

This isnt all intrigue and smokescreens and double crosses - it was always simple. Justin sucks and the NFL knows it and Caleb is great and the NFL knows it. That's all there is to it.

The other scenarios died today. It was always just Justin sucks Caleb rocks.

1 hour ago, Daventry said:

Disappointing outcome given earlier projections of value, but very clear now what the league thinks Fields value is.  

exactly right. and too bad, but I wasnt surprised after having watched him all season.

4 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

this is ridiculous and twisting to keep a dead narrative alive.

Caleb didnt do his physicals for anyone. He didnt blow the Bears off. The Bears wanted something special and Caleb said no, well do it regularly after my pro day.

But the idea that Caleb not giving medicals is why Justin didnt get more value? That's nonsense. Poles needed the medical but then traded Fields anyway before the medical? That whole narrativer already was proven false today.

Also, Tomlin has told Fields that he is not the starter, and it's not an open competition.

And worst of all hes not gonna pick Caleb to avoid a circus - hes going to pick Caleb because hes the best damned QB thats been available in a long time.

This isnt all intrigue and smokescreens and double crosses - it was always simple. Justin sucks and the NFL knows it and Caleb is great and the NFL knows it. That's all there is to it.

The other scenarios died today. It was always just Justin sucks Caleb rocks.

I'm not someone said they mutually agreed to a later date. That wasn't true. Justin -Caleb debate is dead.

So if you make an appointment with a doctor and you need to see him now and he says two weeks that's not helping you out. Poles needed the information now. 

It's a common sense issue. 

By the end of the year Justin will be starting. (Remember these are opinions). Justin is gone but you still can't let go of the hate. 

You should be happy but you're back to conflict discussions. 

Agree that Medicals are helpful to teams drafting players, but I read an article that there are NFL medics assigned to college programs so nothing unforeseen can come up or ailments are hidden. I suppose this is why the Bears knew Fields had epilepsy. 

The team medicals will complete in-depth analysis which would help inform the Bears decision making and probably why we wanted to meet with Williams. We cannot say there is anything in Williams’ medical history that would be a red flag. However, Williams probably wants to be the number 1 pick in the draft so doesn’t want anything that weakens his position so is sitting on his body of work and saying this is who I am and I am a generational talent that cannot be passed over.  

Regarding Fields other than not getting a decent return he is no longer a Bears so there is no need to keep talking about him. 

Before someone says we got what Fields was worth. My lasting comment is I would have held him all year, so if injuries arose at QB in other teams he would have better value that a 6th and as an UFA in 2025 signing as a back up with another team we would have got a 3rd (compensatory) which the Steelers can if they don’t resign him and he signs elsewhere. 

Interesting comments from McCaskey about Fields this morning:

"Did he win enough, no"
"Was he consistent enough, no"
"Did he make passes over the MoF enough, no"
"Did he stay in the pocket with eye downfield enough, no"
"but he got everything else right"

Like with Mitch, it's a good time to turn the page. It is a new chapter in Chicago Bears football.  I appreciate everything Justin did for the team and city, it was bad timing, and didn't work out. I wish him the best in Pittsburgh, and hope he plays well when given the opportunity (preferably over 51% of the snaps in 2024).

5 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

here is a thought... not a single team in the nfl see's fields as a starting qb after 3 years in the league. potential? steelers think so and it's at a bare minimum cost to them especially now they have an aging qb's backup via injury or to possibly run trick plays. it's a smart move by the steelers AND a smart move by the bears too:

a) get anything in return for releasing him. why would the bears want a split locker room or fan base in any sense of the word by keeping him? flus most likely was also consulted on this move and agreed.

b) the bear organization respected fields enough that he was traded to a team with the BEST option for him to succeed and one he was 'probably' receptive to. if you are to believe what poles said about doing right by justin, he just proved it. this helps in our future for player acquisitions in free agency or even signing draft picks. it builds TRUST. that is worth losing a future 3rd round pick for next year (a value of 4th round this year).

c) if fields succeeds in the future that in itself is great. he is a good kid. with the steelers this is a solid franchise for fields to either become a starter or reach his potential as a backup.

there is NO WAY this was a bad move by chicago. they avoided a MAJOR gamble by keeping fields and hoping he turns out better than the entire NFL believes at this moment in time and losing the chance to draft the best prospect at qb in years. this is a win/win situation for all three parties involved.

us keeping fields and hoping to trade him in the future to some crap team with a downed qb or hold him for a year in limbo to get a comp pick is surely is not in fields best interest.

poles did it RIGHT.

1 hour ago, adam said:

Interesting comments from McCaskey about Fields this morning:

"Did he win enough, no"
"Was he consistent enough, no"
"Did he make passes over the MoF enough, no"
"Did he stay in the pocket with eye downfield enough, no"
"but he got everything else right"

5 passing tds in final 8 games

4th quarter rating was lowest of all quarters (3 season sample size)

Could not throw and play within the pocket or throw guys open - especially in middle of the field. 

14 hours ago, adam said:

What it comes down to is their own internal evaluation of Justin. If they didn't think he could improve enough to pay him, and based on the compensation, 31 other teams felt the same way, then what can Poles do? 

There would've been way too much drama in the locker room and with the fanbase, so this is an unfortunate set of circumstances. 

This. And also evry other team's evaluation of him in the league. Look, I like Justin, but he just is not a starting NFL QB at this point. Three years in and he NEVER took over any game and so often fell apart in the fourth quarter. Good luck to him, but time for my team to look for a true QB that can take us to the next level. Did Poles get fleeced? I don't believe so given the market. Should we have kept Fields and draft the next QB? That would have caused so much doubt and whispering that would have ripped the team apart. Will the new QB struggle? Probably, but the expectation is he'll have the ability to be great. Justin had three years and didn't show it. Now we move on to a new QB era everyone, like it or not.

10 hours ago, dawhizz said:

Interesting note here that, reportedly, there was another offer with stronger draft capital. I doubt it was significantly stronger, n but that makes me wonder if maybe it was an NFC or maybe even NFC North team (Lions?) and Poles preferred to send him to the AFC. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39747405/nfl-justin-fields-steelers-bears-trade-russell-wilson

Yeah, it would irk me if the Bears passed on a better deal for the sake of Justin. The Bears should only be concerned about what's in the best interest of what makes their team better.

That said, I'd love to know the difference in compensation. You're right in that it could be a question of sending him to another conference for a slightly lower pick. If it's anything more than that, though, that's a problem.

3 minutes ago, Bears4Ever_34 said:

Yeah, it would irk me if the Bears passed on a better deal for the sake of Justin. The Bears should only be concerned about what's in the best interest of what makes their team better.

That said, I'd love to know the difference in compensation. You're right in that it could be a question of sending him to another conference for a slightly lower pick. If it's anything more than that, though, that's a problem.

I mean, it could have been as simple as an offer of a 5th instead of a 6th that could be a 4th, in which case, why not roll the dice?

Why are we still talking about Justin? I already stated my feelings , it's time to move forward. You can talk anything you want, but he's not here anymore. I rather talk about, if they're are any other options or is it pick 1 Caleb? When Poles speaks to this, maybe we have a more clear message then. He hasn't met him yet, so who knows.

1 minute ago, dawhizz said:

I mean, it could have been as simple as an offer of a 5th instead of a 6th that could be a 4th, in which case, why not roll the dice?

I  think he took a worse pick to place Justin in a place he has a chance to become a starter. I read there were 4 teams that called Poles about a trade. I suspect timing was everything and didn't get done until he lost some value.

2 hours ago, NAMERSONPAYTON said:

Now that Fields is gone, the biggest trade in NFL history for the number 1 pick is a possibility. With fields still on the roster, teams will not offer as much.

Exactly!  When we tell the world we're drafting a QB, they want it more.

Rappoport reporting that Poles had 5 teams called about Justin. Justin wanted to go to Pittsburgh and Poles made that happen. That's why there's no compensation. He wanted to be fair to Justin. Had he did it right after the combine, he might have gotten more when teams were signing QBs but it is what it is. Probably the best he could have gotten was a 3.

14 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Rappoport reporting that Poles had 5 teams called about Justin. Justin wanted to go to Pittsburgh and Poles made that happen. That's why there's no compensation. He wanted to be fair to Justin. Had he did it right after the combine, he might have gotten more when teams were signing QBs but it is what it is. Probably the best he could have gotten was a 3.

If Poles gave up a 3rd rounder to make Justin happy, then I was right about the hugs.

37 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Yeah was just reading about that.  Takes the sting a little out of Justin moving on for peanuts.  But curious who those other teams were and what they were offering. Poles must not have been as concerned on the return in this instance. 

IMG_6759.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Yeah was just reading about that.  Takes the sting a little out of Justin moving on for peanuts.  But curious who those other teams were and what they were offering. Poles must not have been as concerned on the return in this instance. 

IMG_6759.jpeg

I think Courtney Cronin said Philly and Detroit were two of them. 

1 minute ago, adam said:

I think Courtney Cronin said Philly and Detroit were two of them. 

I could certainly see why Justin wouldn't want to hold the clipboard for Hurts. He'd maybe get one or two starts a year due to Hurts being injured. As far as Detroit, HELL NO, Poles don't want him in our division because, quite frankly, JF1 will eventually figure it all out and be an upper-echelon quarterback.