What's next?

adam

On 3/19/2024 at 5:56 PM, Mongo3451 said:

I look at it like we told the whole world we are drafting a QB, which makes the pick more valuable.  Suitors know that they are really going to have to pony up if they want Caleb.  And when we really look at it, how much better is he really?  If he's in a league of his own, the point is moot, cause you didn't trade that.  If Poles sees it at close and someone calls strongly, we make bank on picks.

This is how I see it too.  Poles wasn't getting the trade value he wanted for Fields and might have been ok keeping him as insurance poilcy (i.e. massive offer from Raiders).  I think his biggest issue is the fact he fleeced the Panthers last year and no team wants to be embarrassed like that this year.  Certainly not well ahead of the draft.   So nobody was coming to table with the offer he wanted.  

Then at some point Poles just decided that hanging onto Justin was hindering his negotiation leverage so he had to jettison him.  Poles may have been content with the delay and loss in value trading Justin as it allowed him time to perform some due diligence on the QB prospects.  That late decision (as opposed to doing this around the combine time before FA), along with giving up a valuable 4th Rd pick makes me think he wants the trade down with Washington. 

Or he is just completely happy with drafting Williams.  I can't see any scenario at this time where he'd trade to #3.  On draft day if he wants Daniels and NE wants Maye, or vice versa, then they can hit the dance floor.  The only move ahead of the draft is to #2 and that's if Wash commits to who they are drafting.  That might be a possibility but I think we wait until draft day and we're on the clock.  Or we even draft Williams and keep him, or draft and then trade him.    

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

Blue chip players are what wins Superbowls so you always take one, or two, when you can, and especially at the premium positions.  The rest you have to backfill one way (FA) or another (draft next year).  

This is my thinking too - especially now that the roster has filled out some.

3 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

This is my thinking too - especially now that the roster has filled out some.

We don't know how deep his board goes. 10?   15?  He will make sure he gets a blue chipper or he won't trade down.

No one has successfully figured out what Poles has did in the past.

Does he take the best edge that pushes defense top 5? Or concentrate on offense this year?

59 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

We don't know how deep his board goes. 10?   15?  He will make sure he gets a blue chipper or he won't trade down.

No one has successfully figured out what Poles has did in the past.

Does he take the best edge that pushes defense top 5? Or concentrate on offense this year?

If I had a vote, it would be EDGE.  The defense is one piece away, while the offense could actually be complete if the center position holds up.  What the offense lacks is quality depth.

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

If I had a vote, it would be EDGE.  The defense is one piece away, while the offense could actually be complete if the center position holds up.  What the offense lacks is quality depth.

This year the offense is stacked, but next year we will need a WR. I can see the logic of getting one now, letting Caleb and the rookie get chemistry, and when Allen goes the now kid will be ready. If you look at just this year, what you say makes all kinds of sense, if you look longer term, then theres a need for WR too.

That said I also see the value of DE, 3T, OT too, just not sure who the blue chippers are at 3T

21 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

This year the offense is stacked, but next year we will need a WR. I can see the logic of getting one now, letting Caleb and the rookie get chemistry, and when Allen goes the now kid will be ready. If you look at just this year, what you say makes all kinds of sense, if you look longer term, then theres a need for WR too.

That said I also see the value of DE, 3T, OT too, just not sure who the blue chippers are at 3T

If one of the top 3 fall, he's taking the BPA, if there gone , I think he's not taking a top 20 WR at 9. Maybe a move back gets closer to Thomas true value . He has a better chance of getting a WR room contributor at 75 than an edge in their first year.

I think Poles will take the BPA at 9 or trade down. If an EDGE player is BPA I cannot see Poles not drafting him because this is a hole on the roster. Our D will be so much better if we have a very good to a stud pass rusher/run stopper opposite Sweat.

I don’t think it’s outside the realms of possibility that Allen doesn’t get a new contract in 2025. 

Also if Caleb is everything we hope, he may be able to get quality play from WRs on the roster other than Allen and DJ. 

1 hour ago, 50england50 said:

I think Poles will take the BPA at 9 or trade down. If an EDGE player is BPA I cannot see Poles not drafting him because this is a hole on the roster. Our D will be so much better if we have a very good to a stud pass rusher/run stopper opposite Sweat.

I don’t think it’s outside the realms of possibility that Allen doesn’t get a new contract in 2025. 

Also if Caleb is everything we hope, he may be able to get quality play from WRs on the roster other than Allen and DJ. 

Definitely something to thing about, getting more production from existing players because you have a better QB.