Draft ALL OFFENSE

jason

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anthony Thomas was the last Bear player to be named OROY (in 2001). 

After 23 years, Caleb Williams wins OROY.

The runner-up to CW for OROY is Rome Odunze, WR, Chicago Bears.

One can only dream. 😉

41 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

So, are you moving Wright to LT? Because I’m pretty sure Fuaga projects best to RT. 

I see Fuaga as a road grading guard in the NFL - another Jenkins type.

2 hours ago, Pixote said:

Anthony Thomas was the last Bear player to be named OROY (in 2001). 

After 23 years, Caleb Williams wins OROY.

The runner-up to CW for OROY is Rome Odunze, WR, Chicago Bears.

One can only dream. 😉

And he followed that up by being mediocre to completely out of the league. I totally forgot he ended up being ROY that season.  Probably same year as we drafted David Terrell who was one of a few high profile FRP Wideouts who busted (well maybe 2 - cause I Don't know that we drafted any other FRP wideouts other than Terrell and Kevin White in the past 20+ years.  

2 hours ago, dawhizz said:

So, are you moving Wright to LT? Because I’m pretty sure Fuaga projects best to RT. 

Moving Fuaga to guard.  Could imagine him next to Wright?  Plus, I don't trust Davis or Jenkins to give a full season.  

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

Moving Fuaga to guard.  Could imagine him next to Wright?  Plus, I don't trust Davis or Jenkins to give a full season.  

and you dont want to have to trust them going forward. Its rich at #9, but a monster guard is a good thing to add to this OL. At some point we are going to need to replace Jenkins and Davis both. Getting a stud and making them compete for playing time is a great idea. If we could trade down a bit and still get him, that wouldnt suck.

But Im not sure we dont need our future WR, OT or DE more.

20 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

But Im not sure we dont need our future WR, OT or DE more.

We are one player from completing the D, EDGE.  We are one player from completing the O, center.  Adding Fuaga brings a talent infusion and huge depth.  A WR doesn't complete anything, but it's definitely a building block to keep our QB stocked with talent.  I also drafted Tez Walker and Cade Stover for young weapons.  I'm all for WR at the right time.  For me, it's finish the trenches first, then WR.  Fat boy dream...

42 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Picking top 15 and grabbing an OG is a luxury we can't afford with other deficiencies. 

It depends on the offense you are running.  Sean Peyton values guards over tackles for inside out schemes.  If our system dictates better inside blocking, you can't get better than Fuaga.

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

We are one player from completing the D, EDGE.  We are one player from completing the O, center.  Adding Fuaga brings a talent infusion and huge depth.  A WR doesn't complete anything, but it's definitely a building block to keep our QB stocked with talent.  I also drafted Tez Walker and Cade Stover for young weapons.  I'm all for WR at the right time.  For me, it's finish the trenches first, then WR.  Fat boy dream...

its true if you only look this year, but if you look for the next 2-3 years, WR is going to matter too, and if you think you have a shot at one of a certain quality that you wont get a chance at again, except in free agency, and youre about to pay Moore too. I think WR is definitely a need, even if not this year?

But I also agree with the idea that we need a C, we need at least one young G and we probably need a new LT, and we need another pass rusher and maybe a 3T as well.

I think it's gonna matter more on the quality of the players available this year, and predictions on what will be deep or not next year.

For example - who will have the better NFL career, Fashanu or Verse? Are either or both of them going to be pro bowl blue chippers? Im personally not sure at all.

Trenches are extremely important. I just want to be sure the guy Im getting is a true blue chipper at #9, and other than Odunze, I'm not sure there's a clear answer for us as a for sure blue chip player. I think all of a sudden theres a group of about 8 tier 1b guys who would all help us, but none of which is a clear cut pro bowler.

I like the idea of staying at #9 and grabbing an impact player, but when it theyre all off the board? Im not looking to trade down for the extra value, but I feel like the blue chippers are possibly gone by 9. Unless you move to interior offensive linemen like Fuaga at guard or Powers-Johnson at C.

And you know what? This could also be a good argument for trading up to get MHJr, Alt or Nabers at 5 or 6 if they're available too.

Nabers keeps being there at 9 in mocks lately. We need to run to the podium if he's there.

I have seen many former scouts  ( they are the only ones I pay attention to) keep projecting between 12-15 blue chip players in this draft. The lists aren't exactly the same so it's subjective but that's what I see to.

24 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

It depends on the offense you are running.  Sean Peyton values guards over tackles for inside out schemes.  If our system dictates better inside blocking, you can't get better than Fuaga.

I am a oline guy, but I want nothing to do with drafting a G in round 1.  If the team was complete and we were drafting at pick 25 or after, then maybe. I have the same thought on RB and MLB.  Sure you can get a good one like Roquan, but you can also find cheaper equivalent talent later in the draft.  If they draft oline at 9, better be LT and there are maybe 2 worthy.  WR is always a need if you look at the price.  Moore could have been a 2025 1st rd pick but we wanted him or Burns instead. Allen is a pricey 1 year rental (20mil), so getting a stud on the cheap now can help save money to pay either Jenkins or Davis down the road. 

2 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Nabers keeps being there at 9 in mocks lately. We need to run to the podium if he's there.

I have seen many former scouts  ( they are the only ones I pay attention to) keep projecting between 12-15 blue chip players in this draft. The lists aren't exactly the same so it's subjective but that's what I see to.

If Nabers is there, Poles will actually move faster than the speed of light to pick him. I think the mock machines arent really as cutthroat as the real teams are. I dont see him falling to 9, but that would be great. Im more worried that only 3 QBs go before we pick.

I see the 1b list, but I think Williams, at least 2 WRs and Alt are the only sure fire pro bowlers, the rest are 1b, worthy of a first half of the first round pick, but not a top 5.

For example, if any od the DEs were that clear cut, wed be seeing them go in the top 4. In this draft many times the first defensive player off the board is at 9, so there are blue chippers, and then there are blue chippers.

3 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I am a oline guy, but I want nothing to do with drafting a G in round 1.  If the team was complete and we were drafting at pick 25 or after, then maybe. I have the same thought on RB and MLB.  Sure you can get a good one like Roquan, but you can also find cheaper equivalent talent later in the draft.  If they draft oline at 9, better be LT and there are maybe 2 worthy.  WR is always a need if you look at the price.  Moore could have been a 2025 1st rd pick but we wanted him or Burns instead. Allen is a pricey 1 year rental (20mil), so getting a stud on the cheap now can help save money to pay either Jenkins or Davis.

and pay Moore too!

Of course the same logic works to have a rookie DE across from Sweat. In important positions, a top ranked vet paired with a high picked player on a rookie deal is the way to go.

But you need to be sure youre getting a real stud and not just drafting a position?

31 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

and pay Moore too!

Of course the same logic works to have a rookie DE across from Sweat. In important positions, a top ranked vet paired with a high picked player on a rookie deal is the way to go.

But you need to be sure youre getting a real stud and not just drafting a position?

Right now, the projected blue-chip DE is Turner DE/OLB, but is he a scheme fit? I think Latu or Verse are closer fit, regarded as DE/Edge and can be blue, or is it Darius Robinson DL/DE?  Size and college position determined class.  A guy similiar to Sweat is Myles Cole DE Texas Tech if they look for a body style.

Guys Poles should run for at 9 are Alt, Nabers, or Odunze.  I think they can move down a few slots and get a tier 1b guy especially if Penix is there and the Raiders/Broncos want to bid against each other for him.  

5 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I get that but the Bears do have ten OL currently who have all started games. You have options if there are issues with Davis or Jenkins. 

7 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Right now, the projected blue-chip DE is Turner DE/OLB, but is he a scheme fit? I think Latu or Verse are closer fit, regarded as DE/Edge and can be blue, or is it Darius Robinson DL/DE?  Size and college position determined class.  A guy similiar to Sweat is Myles Cole DE Texas Tech if they look for a body style.

Guys Poles should run for at 9 are Alt, Nabers, or Odunze.  I think they can move down a few slots and get a tier 1b guy especially if Penix is there and the Raiders/Broncos want to bid against each other for him.  

yeah I agree -  i just dont think the DEs are the right fit for us. Verse is probably the best one for us (I worry about Latu's injuries), but no one is mocking him to go in the top 6, so hes not a sure fire blue chipper. And if we pick at 9 we need one,l otherwise, you trade down because there are a bunch of good 1b guys.