Any word on Bryan Johnson, Julius Jones or anybody else?

bradjock

There was the report that Johnson might have a deal with Buffalo and he might be coming to Chicago tomorrow. Has anybody heard any updates on this?

I figure we might want Julius Jones, I really haven't heard of any teams interested in him.

We have to move on a o-lineman at some point, right???

The last couple of years Angelo hasn't made any moves until early April. Of course I'm still salivating for any any news of guys we might bring in.

I'm more interested in Jacob Bell. However, I think if he makes it out of STL w/o a huge contract tonight it might be a miracle. The Rams missed out on Faneca and they want to make sure they get Bell. I'd give him $8 million a year with about $13 million guaranteed. Not to mention he's only 27.

Bryant Johnson will more then likely NOT make it out of Buffalo w/o a contract, so he is all but out of the conversation.

Julius Jones? He'd average less then 3 ypc behind this line...

EDIT- Well, there goes Bell...

The Rams have reportedly agreed to terms on a six-year contract with free agent LG Jacob Bell.

Post-Dispatch writer Bernie Miklasz doesn't have numbers yet, but he's likely getting about $4 million a year. Bell, 26, is only 6'4/295, but is considered sound technically and was part of a good Titans line. Of course, he was flanked by two excellent players, C Kevin Mawae and LT Michael Roos.

There was the report that Johnson might have a deal with Buffalo and he might be coming to Chicago tomorrow. Has anybody heard any updates on this?

I figure we might want Julius Jones, I really haven't heard of any teams interested in him.

The last couple of years Angelo hasn't made any moves until early April. Of course I'm still salivating for any any news of guys we might bring in.

Julius is schueduled to visit the lions tomorrow or wed, doesn't look good since they'll be looking to replace tj duckett. Do you think that we're intentionally not getting oline or wr help so that benson really sucks this year and we won't look like total morons for selecting him two years ago. I mean if he really sucks this year JA can say he gave him every opportunity in the world and not look as stupid.

Do you think that we're intentionally not getting oline or wr help so that benson really sucks this year and we won't look like total morons for selecting him two years ago. I mean if he really sucks this year JA can say he gave him every opportunity in the world and not look as stupid.

It's too late for that. Benson sucks period. Angelo does look stupid for drafting him. The only thing in Angelo's defense is this: Christ almighty that was a horrible year for top 10 draft picks. We badly needed an offensive weapon, and the other guys available: Mike Williams, Troy Williamson, and Cadillac Williams, have all been huge busts.

I have a bad feeling that we might be just happy to tank this season and spend all our money towards resigning guys like Tommie Harris.

I think JA must address OL and WR help via FA to help take some pressure off in the draft; i.e. drafting need vs best player avaiable.

FA WR: Johnson or DJ Hackett would be good pick ups who can step in and play reight away.

RB: I prefer to take someone in this years draft

OL: I would be fine with allowing St. Clair compete at OG; I thought he played well in the short time he played gaurd

FA: not sure who is out there that is an upgrade and not another Fred Miller after 1 season

Being a fan for 37 + years... I've sen enough from enough guys to get a vibe on them. Feel free to bash me, but certain players exude a heart and ethic, some don't. From my experience, Benson appears to be one of those that doesn't. Haven't you seen it? Payton was one and Enis was not, just as one example.

I'll be a pig in slop if he proves me wrong. But, right now...he has to prove me wrong. So far he's done nothing but prove me right.

There is virtually nothing in his body of prefssional work that makes me think he can be relied upon right now.

And you are judging and basing the amount of heart on.....

Being a fan for 37 + years... I've sen enough from enough guys to get a vibe on them. Feel free to bash me, but certain players exude a heart and ethic, some don't. From my experience, Benson appears to be one of those that doesn't. Haven't you seen it? Payton was one and Enis was not, just as one example.

I'll be a pig in slop if he proves me wrong. But, right now...he has to prove me wrong. So far he's done nothing but prove me right.

There is virtually nothing in his body of prefssional work that makes me think he can be relied upon right now.

I sure as hell won't bash you for that Madlith. You're 100% correct IMO.

I'm terrible when it comes to defending Bear players. I can always find something positive:

David Terrell: Practices hard, never gets hurt, and if he ever had a good QB he could be great.

Archuletta: Busts his ass on every play & gives it 110% . . . he's just a step slow."

Moose: A great leader, a great team guy & a great blocker."

Tank: He may have legal problems but he's great in the locker room & will straighten himself out.

Cedric: Nothing. Absolutely nothing. He'll break a long-one once in a while . . . & then he gets hit & leaves the game.

Jonathon Quinn did not belong in the NFL, but at least he was a good locker room guy. I can't even say that about Ced. We dumped Anthony Thomas for him. I'd take the career back-up A-train over Ced in a heart-beat.

bradjock, your last line had me laughing! I'd take him over CB any day as well!

I sure as hell won't bash you for that Madlith. You're 100% correct IMO.

I'm terrible when it comes to defending Bear players. I can always find something positive:

David Terrell: Practices hard, never gets hurt, and if he ever had a good QB he could be great.

Archuletta: Busts his ass on every play & gives it 110% . . . he's just a step slow."

Moose: A great leader, a great team guy & a great blocker."

Tank: He may have legal problems but he's great in the locker room & will straighten himself out.

Cedric: Nothing. Absolutely nothing. He'll break a long-one once in a while . . . & then he gets hit & leaves the game.

Jonathon Quinn did not belong in the NFL, but at least he was a good locker room guy. I can't even say that about Ced. We dumped Anthony Thomas for him. I'd take the career back-up A-train over Ced in a heart-beat.

Latest I heard is Johnson met with Buffalo, but no contract was offered. He is supposed to meet with Washington, but he is really wanting to play in Buffalo and is hoping a deal could be worked out soon.

Don't sound like he has a visit with Chicago at all. Maybe JA wants to bring back Engram so we can reunite all the old Bears.

Latest I heard is Johnson met with Buffalo, but no contract was offered. He is supposed to meet with Washington, but he is really wanting to play in Buffalo and is hoping a deal could be worked out soon.

Don't sound like he has a visit with Chicago at all. Maybe JA wants to bring back Engram so we can reunite all the old Bears.

I think Bobby signed a 3 yr deal last yr. He is not a FA - I know that for sure.

Peace :bears

Interesting, all the papers had been reporting that if Johnson didn't sign with Buffalo his next visit was Chicago. I'm dissapointed to hear he isn't coming because I would like to see the Bears upgrade the wide receiver position via FA (that way they can address the RB/Oline in a draft which is rich in both positions, as well as take a QB during day 1).

I would really like McCarens, but I'm puzzled as to why he completely fell apart the past two seasons after having a few productive seasons in a row (where he was thought of as one of the better young WR's). I do realize the Jets QB situation has again (like the Dolphins) been one of the few situations which has been worse than the Bears, but I still question what caused that sort of drop-off.

Financially you should be able to pick him up cheap and than focus your money towards giving your home grown guys extensions (Url/Tommie), sign a solid starting oline man, sign a RB like Julius Jones, and than focus on getting a young WR in the draft, QB, Oline, etc.

Free agent D.J. Hackett hasn't ruled out rejoining the Seahawks.

He's begging for any suitors right now. The Tacoma News Tribune suggests Hackett re-sign for one year to rehab his value and show he can stay healthy.

Falcons released QB Joey Harrington.

The move clears $2.5 million in salary. Only the Falcons wanted Harrington last offseason, but he actually posted career highs in completion rate (61.8) and yards per attempt (6.4) before collapsing suddenly and losing his job to Chris Redman.

Add Julius Jones to the list of free agents visiting the Titans Wednesday.

Jones could succeed in new offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger's one-cut system and add a speed element to the Titans' plodding running game

Why do you still want BJ? I liked him too, and mentioned his name very early on, but to me, it was either Booker or BJ. I do not think it was ever both.

BJ is young, and has more upside. No argument. But regardless, both are fairly similar WRs. BJ is not a speed receiver. He uses size and power. You can even argue he is a younger version of Booker, but IMHO, if we were looking to sign BJ, we would not have signed Booker.

I think we are going to at least enter the draft w/ the WRs we have now. I can see a situation where Angelo believes he has added a veteran WR to free up Bradley and/or Hester to become the downfield threats we feel they can be. Probably throw in a rookie, and I see a situation where we are trying to develop a young group of WRs, w/ Booker as the solid veteran possession receiver to help them along, not to mention help the QB stay on the field.

In a market where Berrian, Walker and even Andre Davis get paid so much, I just do not think we should expect to see much more at WR.

At this point, I think our money is FAR better spent on the OL.

DJ Hackett :pray

The Bears don't need someone like Hackett as he can't seem to get through the year without one or another injury. They (Bears) already have enough problems in that category...see Hass and Bradley. I think getting Bryant Johnson would be a much better choice.

Still need to get a decent RB in FA (maybe Marion Barber through tough negotiations?? :pray )

In the meantime...sign a petition for bringing Flacco to Chicago!!!!

fb07-flacco1-uri(mc)_lg.jpg

At 6'6" and 230lbs., what's not to love???

The Bears don't need someone like Hackett as he can't seem to get through the year without one or another injury. They (Bears) already have enough problems in that category...see Hass and Bradley. I think getting Bryant Johnson would be a much better choice.

Still need to get a decent RB in FA (maybe Marion Barber through tough negotiations?? :pray )

Bryan Johnson would be a much better choice, but I get the feeling he wants one helluva a lot of money. Seeing what Javon Walker & Bernard Berrian made, considering he's currently the best FA WR available. My guess is he'll get a Donte Stallworth like deal: 5 years, 25 million, 10 guaranteed. That's a helluva a lot for a guy who's best season is 740 yards & 4 TD's. you'd like a litle more production then that.

As for Marion Barber, the Cowboys gave him the highest restricted tender, which means it'd cost us a 1st & a 3rd round draft pick to get him. If we need a running-back that bad, we're better off staying at #14 and drafting Mendenhall.

I'd still like to see us get Julius Jones. I'm not a huge fan by any means, but he'd be an upgrade.

I like Flacco as the 2nd round pick. He might be long gone by then.

Bad footwork, bad accuracy, and bad competition.

Hester: Thanks for saving me the post but I'll add another point. He's too much of a project for a team with Grossman on a 1 year deal and Orton with only 2 more years. By the beginning of next year the Bears will be committing to a QB for the long haul, or at least a longer contract. Grossman and Orton both have enough question marks IMO that I think JA will want somebody with a higher chance of being at least an average QB at the start of next year.