New Mock

ASHKUM BEAR

Below is my Mock with the SF pick. Included with my picks are Scouting reports from NFL Draft Countdown.

1-14 Branden Alberts OG Virginia

Branden Albert info

Between Otah and Alberts, Alberts can start out LG before trying the move outside.

2-44 Joe Flacco QB Deleware

Joe Flacco info

Flacco falls into Bears lap as Miami passes on QB, Atl moves up to get Brohm, and Balt. takes Ryan RD1.

3-71 Matt Forte RB Tulane

Matt Forte infoThe move up of 5 spots helps ensure that the Bears get there choice at RB on day 2. Forte will be a force

3-91 Josh Barrett S Arizona St

Josh Barrett info

Barrett has all the athletic tools the Bears look for at S, they just have to keep his head inline for him to flourish

4-107 Barry Richardson OT Clemson

Barry Richardson info

Richardson will compete with St. Clair for the RT spot as he is a big physical run blocker, but needs to work on his pass blocking.

5-137 Zachary Bowman CB Nebraska

Zachary Bowman info

Bowman jumped back on the radar after his blazing 40 time at the combine. Injury concerns have kept him out of the spot light, but if he can overcome them, he has RD1 skills.

6-169 Kennan Burton WR Kentucky

Kennan Burton info

Burton will develop into a good possesion WR, with Booker not getting any younger, Burton can learn under a Bear favorite.

7-207 Andre Fluellan DT Florida State

Andre Fluellan info

Another prospect DT that has the tools to be elite, but couldn't get rid of the injury bug. Has great burst, but is a little tall for DT.

7-COMP Pedro Sosa OG Rutgers

Pedro Sosa info

7-COMP Adam Bishop TE Nevada

Adam Bishop info

7-COMP Carl Stewart FB Auburn

Carl Stewart info

Below is my Mock with the SF pick. Included with my picks are Scouting reports from NFL Draft Countdown.

Branden Albert info

Between Otah and Alberts, Alberts can start out LG before trying the move outside.

Joe Flacco info

Flacco falls into Bears lap as Miami passes on QB, Atl moves up to get Brohm, and Balt. takes Ryan RD1.

Matt Forte infoThe move up of 5 spots helps ensure that the Bears get there choice at RB on day 2. Forte will be a force

Josh Barrett info

Barrett has all the athletic tools the Bears look for at S, they just have to keep his head inline for him to flourish

Barry Richardson info

Richardson will compete with St. Clair for the RT spot as he is a big physical run blocker, but needs to work on his pass blocking.

Zachary Bowman info

Bowman jumped back on the radar after his blazing 40 time at the combine. Injury concerns have kept him out of the spot light, but if he can overcome them, he has RD1 skills.

Kennan Burton info

Burton will develop into a good possesion WR, with Booker not getting any younger, Burton can learn under a Bear favorite.

Andre Fluellan info

Another prospect DT that has the tools to be elite, but couldn't get rid of the injury bug. Has great burst, but is a little tall for DT.

Pedro Sosa info

Adam Bishop info

Carl Stewart info

I'll be honest....this is one of the best mocks I've seen on this site. I'm starting to like Alberts more and more.

that would be a real good mock. LG is a much more crucial spot then RT, IMO, and Albert has the potential to be a top LG and also eventually LT, so there is that versatility. I like Barry Richardson in the 4th as well. With a year or two of just developing, he can become an average/above average starter at RT in this league, IMO.

Flacco in the 2nd, very nice. However, I have heard that the Falcons absolutely love Flacco, but then again that could be a smoke screen. Forte, if he is there, would be a great pick in the 3rd. But I have my doubts if he'd actually be there.

As for Barrett, I like him, but right now I see the safeties being pretty much set with Manning and Brown the starters, Payne and McGowan as the backup (Payne also makes an impact on ST), and I see Archuletta having the inside track at making the team with his ST ability as well. I see someone like Haruki Nakamura (Bears also did bring him in for a workout/visit) being drafted in the 5th or 6th by us. Someone who can compete, but if they don't make the team, it's not that big of a deal. I'd probably go with a WR or DT there.

As for the rest of the draft, I'd pass on any corners unless the value is great. Stewart would be a good pick that late. I'd probably also try and bring in at least 2 UT's.

Branden Albert info

Joe Flacco info

Josh Barrett info

Barry Richardson info

Zachary Bowman info

Kennan Burton info

Andre Fluellan info

Pedro Sosa info

Adam Bishop info

Carl Stewart info

Barring any Free Agent moves or trades that haven't happened, I will not be happy with any mock draft that has the Bears ignoring the OT position until the 4th round.

God i wanna vomit. A team that goes from superbowl to somehow being 7-9 miracle, and were lookin for a Guard... wow

One reason why we went from Superbowl to 7-9 is partially b/c the oline. Reuben Brown was our best G playing with 1 arm. Miller at RT was taking naps and practicing for his new job at Wal Mart as a door greeter. Tait played most of the season with a bad ankle. Our O-line depth was so pathetic, we played these injured players until the season was lost.

The injuries to the defense also hurt our chances as well. Mike Brown, Dusty, Tillman, Vasher, Harris, Urlacher, Walker, Payne, Briggs, Archuletta. Almost our entire D suffered an injury were they either missed games or it hampered there play.

We have 8 picks for sure in this draft with possibly 3 more compensation picks. #1 priortiy needs to be replacing our RT and LG that were let go. Our secondary needs are finding competition for RB, QB, WR, S, and DT. Only 2 real holes to find starters and then were drafting for depth/competition.

One reason why we went from Superbowl to 7-9 is partially b/c the oline. Reuben Brown was our best G playing with 1 arm. Miller at RT was taking naps and practicing for his new job at Wal Mart as a door greeter. Tait played most of the season with a bad ankle. Our O-line depth was so pathetic, we played these injured players until the season was lost.

The injuries to the defense also hurt our chances as well. Mike Brown, Dusty, Tillman, Vasher, Harris, Urlacher, Walker, Payne, Briggs, Archuletta. Almost our entire D suffered an injury were they either missed games or it hampered there play.

We have 8 picks for sure in this draft with possibly 3 more compensation picks. #1 priortiy needs to be replacing our RT and LG that were let go. Our secondary needs are finding competition for RB, QB, WR, S, and DT. Only 2 real holes to find starters and then were drafting for depth/competition.

Sorry, but I disagree with you. Fenom put it best in the other thread. Whichever need is of best value is on the board we'll more than likely take it. You keep saying that we lost rt and lg, do you really think JA would release those two if he didn't think other players like st.clair, beekman, metcalf were ready? Yeah oline is a priority, but no more than a rb in this year's draft. We let go tj before last year and stuck with benson. This year we let go of brown and miller to go with the other guys I just mentioned. Will we draft an olineman? I'm sure, however if the right value isn't there at oline why reach when a guy like mendenhal could be there. All this shore up the oline now is nonsense. How would you like to have passed on a difference maker to reach for an olineman just b/c of need. If walter was in this draft and we had the current oline do you pass on him because we need a rt or lg? Not saying mendenhal will be like walter, but just trying to get the point across that if a player you deem as "TALENTED" is on the board you don't pass on him for a guy who normally wouldn't get selected with the 14th pick. If that was the case minny would really be kicking themselves now cause rb wasn't really a "need" when the took AP last year seeing as they already had chester taylor. Same goes for us. You may say that the oline was horrible last year, and good the year before, but is that all their fault. Benson and rex sure don't command the threat to keep 8-9 guys out of the box. Not too many olines would do that well if they saw constant pressure and multiple blitzers like we did. Benson just doesn't have an nfl rb's first step. TJ had that and we knew it, but benson doesn't and he doesn't have the vision to make up for that.

Sorry, but I disagree with you. Fenom put it best in the other thread. Whichever need is of best value is on the board we'll more than likely take it. You keep saying that we lost rt and lg, do you really think JA would release those two if he didn't think other players like st.clair, beekman, metcalf were ready?

*cough* Cedric Benson *cough*

Yeah oline is a priority, but no more than a rb in this year's draft. We let go tj before last year and stuck with benson. This year we let go of brown and miller to go with the other guys I just mentioned.

The Bears let go of TJ, and got stuck with Benson. You're right. Look that we're that got us.

Now the Bears let go two offensive linemen who sucked, but were good enough to keep the other guys on the bench. If we get stuck with them, the season is lost already.

Will we draft an olineman? I'm sure, however if the right value isn't there at oline why reach when a guy like mendenhal could be there. All this shore up the oline now is nonsense. How would you like to have passed on a difference maker to reach for an olineman just b/c of need. If walter was in this draft and we had the current oline do you pass on him because we need a rt or lg? Not saying mendenhal will be like walter, but just trying to get the point across that if a player you deem as "TALENTED" is on the board you don't pass on him for a guy who normally wouldn't get selected with the 14th pick. If that was the case minny would really be kicking themselves now cause rb wasn't really a "need" when the took AP last year seeing as they already had chester taylor. Same goes for us. You may say that the oline was horrible last year, and good the year before, but is that all their fault. Benson and rex sure don't command the threat to keep 8-9 guys out of the box. Not too many olines would do that well if they saw constant pressure and multiple blitzers like we did. Benson just doesn't have an nfl rb's first step. TJ had that and we knew it, but benson doesn't and he doesn't have the vision to make up for that.

Disagree all you want, but you'd be wrong. Hell, Mendenhall could be a reach! Unless the Bears can guarantee that the RB is going to be a stud, then they absolutely have to put more emphasis on OL. Otherwise, the Bears end up with a RB, whoever it may be, getting stuffed behind the OL that sucks. And if the Bears have Mendenhall rated that high, and that talented, then I question their evaluation process.

Nobody is saying the Bears should reach, but there are a handful of guys that are possibly going to be available as OL prospects when the Bears pick in the first, and if any of them are there, they have just as much potential as OLinemen as someone like Mendenhall has at RB. The only way the Bears should go RB in the first is if by some miracle Darren McFadden is there. Otherwise, RB is one of the easier positions in the NFL to fill, especially if you have the right OL, and the Bears should shoot for someone with upside like Ray Rice in subsequent rounds.

*cough* Cedric Benson *cough*

The Bears let go of TJ, and got stuck with Benson. You're right. Look that we're that got us.

Now the Bears let go two offensive linemen who sucked, but were good enough to keep the other guys on the bench. If we get stuck with them, the season is lost already.

Disagree all you want, but you'd be wrong. Hell, Mendenhall could be a reach! Unless the Bears can guarantee that the RB is going to be a stud, then they absolutely have to put more emphasis on OL. Otherwise, the Bears end up with a RB, whoever it may be, getting stuffed behind the OL that sucks. And if the Bears have Mendenhall rated that high, and that talented, then I question their evaluation process.

Nobody is saying the Bears should reach, but there are a handful of guys that are possibly going to be available as OL prospects when the Bears pick in the first, and if any of them are there, they have just as much potential as OLinemen as someone like Mendenhall has at RB. The only way the Bears should go RB in the first is if by some miracle Darren McFadden is there. Otherwise, RB is one of the easier positions in the NFL to fill, especially if you have the right OL, and the Bears should shoot for someone with upside like Ray Rice in subsequent rounds.

And the season would be saved if we started two rookies at oline??? this is precisely what I'm talking about. No matter what we do our first rd draft pick more than likely wouldn't be a stud in his first year and my point was that if there is a run on oline and long,williams, clady, are all gone why reach for a player that was projected to be a late rd pick when a player whether it be rb or qb are on the board who were high on the draft board. Like it or not mendenhal is considered the second best rb in this draft, some experts even have him higher than mcfadden. So yeah we could draft an oline but all in all the production level will still be that of a rookie just like any other position. So like I said do you pass on a "potential" nfl starting running back of the future because you're weak at oline today? You say ray rice and plenty of others in later rounds, doesn't that also imply towards lineman like hill from texas or baker from usc? this draft is deep at rb and oline which just happens to be our biggest needs, and just like rb's, not all 1st rd olinemen turn out to be studs. For every enis there's a gallery, it's nothing more than sheer luck as to who pans out. I remember many wanting dockery when he came out. Where's he now?

The expected career of a RB is shorter than an NFL Olineman. Mendenhall might be special but how long will he be special? Rarely do you see RB who stay at the top for more than 3 years and there's just no way to predict that. How many RBs have their big season or two, hold out for a new contract and then we don't hear from them again? What happened to Adrian Peterson last year? I think the fact is that the NFL season is now so long that it's hard to rely on one back to carry the load for so many years.

I prefer now to forego the search for an elite RB and just be content with a two back system with two good players who have different styles so you can attack defenses in different ways depending on their strengths. If you hit the jackpot and one guy turns into a stud, that's great. Instead focus on building your Oline which is going to be more dependable in the long run (a better return on your big signing bonus and makes RBs, WRs, TEs, and QBs perform better.

JA takes this approach with his Dline and has put a lot of attention on that in his drafts. It's time he uses the same strategy on the other side of the ball.

Guest TerraTor
The expected career of a RB is shorter than an NFL Olineman. Mendenhall might be special but how long will he be special? Rarely do you see RB who stay at the top for more than 3 years and there's just no way to predict that. How many RBs have their big season or two, hold out for a new contract and then we don't hear from them again? What happened to Adrian Peterson last year? I think the fact is that the NFL season is now so long that it's hard to rely on one back to carry the load for so many years.

I prefer now to forego the search for an elite RB and just be content with a two back system with two good players who have different styles so you can attack defenses in different ways depending on their strengths. If you hit the jackpot and one guy turns into a stud, that's great. Instead focus on building your Oline which is going to be more dependable in the long run (a better return on your big signing bonus and makes RBs, WRs, TEs, and QBs perform better.

JA takes this approach with his Dline and has put a lot of attention on that in his drafts. It's time he uses the same strategy on the other side of the ball.

wow, that is the most rediculous thing ive ever heard......two back system? WTF we dont even have 1 back. How long will a special back be special? Pretty sure Tomlinson destroyed the league since he was drafted and had no-one around him.

AP? He almost single-handedly got the shit Vikings into a Wild Card spot.....

ive said some dumb shit on the board, but every point u listed is rediculous... OUR TEAM IS TOTALLY ABSENT OF OFFENSIVE TALENT (Olsen) to make matters worse. Our Backs - Name that tune........Total Bust and Lacks any Heart - Career Backup - Small and Isnt Warrick Dunn

wow, that is the most rediculous thing ive ever heard......two back system? WTF we dont even have 1 back. How long will a special back be special? Pretty sure Tomlinson destroyed the league since he was drafted and had no-one around him.

ive said some dumb shit on the board, but every point u listed is rediculous... OUR TEAM IS TOTALLY ABSENT OF OFFENSIVE TALENT (Olsen) to make matters worse. Our Backs - Name that tune........Total Bust and Lacks any Heart - Career Backup - Small and Isnt Warrick Dunn

You mean AP and the good oline Minny has.

AP wouldn't have been quite the gamebreaker behind our POS line.

If we draft Mendy and put him behind this crap line this board will crying about another busted RB taken in the first round.

It never ceases to amaze me that people dont get that the line is where the offense starts. And please spare me the lecture about FA linemen and say the answer is a guy that got cut by San Diego. The ONE good FA lineman signed for an insane amount of money. You have to grow your own.

Terra, I believe the Bears will bring in a RB and if there is a way to get Mendenhall and also add two quality linemen with potential to start I'm all for it. This draft is rich in RB and OL this year. Which one will help the Bears more overall all, we all have different opinions. IMO, we are in dire need for OL and I blame this on JA who I normally applaud. He avoided this side of the football to bring in redshirt defensive/ST players for the last couple of years. With Kreutz 30, St. Clair 30, and Tait 33 we will be needing to address the o-line for the next 2-3 years. Our entire offense is in dire need of rebuilding as most of the offense is down to 1/2 years on contract.

I really believe in building your team from the Lines out and if we can get Williams/Albert/Otah and then add F.Jones/Forte/Ray Rice our team would be better off, that just MHO.

Is Forte really that far off from Mendenhall in talent? compare :o

Rashard Mendenhall Illinois

5-10 225 40-4.45

Rashard Mendenhall profile

year---gp----att----yds-----avg----td----rec----yds---td

2005---10----48----218-----4.5-----0-----13----82----2

2006---12----78----640-----8.2----5------12----164---1

2007---13---262----1681---6.4-----17----34----318---2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Matt Forte Tulan

6-1 217 40-4.46

Matt Forte profile

year---gp----att----yds----avg----td----rec----yds-----td

2004---11---140----624---4.5----4-----20-----180-----2

2005---11---169----655---3.9----4------23-----163----1

2006----9----163----859---5.3----8------28----360-----2

2007----12---361----2127--5.9---23-----32-----282----0

Guest TerraTor
Terra, I believe the Bears will bring in a RB and if there is a way to get Mendenhall and also add two quality linemen with potential to start I'm all for it. This draft is rich in RB and OL this year. Which one will help the Bears more overall all, we all have different opinions. IMO, we are in dire need for OL and I blame this on JA who I normally applaud. He avoided this side of the football to bring in redshirt defensive/ST players for the last couple of years. With Kreutz 30, St. Clair 30, and Tait 33 we will be needing to address the o-line for the next 2-3 years. Our entire offense is in dire need of rebuilding as most of the offense is down to 1/2 years on contract.

I really believe in building your team from the Lines out and if we can get Williams/Albert/Otah and then add F.Jones/Forte/Ray Rice our team would be better off, that just MHO.

5-10 225 40-4.45

Matt Forte Tulan

6-1 217 40-4.46

Matt Forte profile

I posted for Forte a little ago, i like him too but hes banged up and played against lower teams, but anyway. Thtats not my point. Did you happen to see any great blocking when AP made us loook like like a high school team? im sayin what we have will never make anything happen on their, thats a fact. There will be guys in FA that we can put on the Oline. And AZbear, trust me i woulda blown up Halas Hall is they even dared to sign Micheal Turner. Our Best Oline was 2005 and 2006, and all but Kruetz were plugged in, with Tait being the high priced guy anchor. The fact is our offense has no threats at all, Olsen wont even be able to produce and thats a shame.

Mendenhall = Big Ten. Running against Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State...

Forte = CUSA. Running against Rice, Tulsa, UTEP...

Look at the huge gap in carries compared to the gap in yards. Look at the ypc average too. There is no question Mendenhall is, at least as of now, is the better player.

Everyone arguing about taking an OL or RB in the first round realizes that it is a total chicken and egg situation and we absolutely need help at both positions. However, a good offensive line can make a back look better but a good back wont make an o line better. We are a tackle and guard away from having an above average offensive line.

I posted for Forte a little ago, i like him too but hes banged up and played against lower teams, but anyway. Thtats not my point. Did you happen to see any great blocking when AP made us loook like like a high school team? im sayin what we have will never make anything happen on their, thats a fact. There will be guys in FA that we can put on the Oline. And AZbear, trust me i woulda blown up Halas Hall is they even dared to sign Micheal Turner. Our Best Oline was 2005 and 2006, and all but Kruetz were plugged in, with Tait being the high priced guy anchor. The fact is our offense has no threats at all, Olsen wont even be able to produce and thats a shame.

Um yeah I did. What I saw was that AP didn't get touched until he was in the secondary or not at all. Maybe you watched a different game.

And there are maybe one or two guys max a year in FA that make a true difference in the line. The Jake Scott's are nothing more then filler and no better than a Ruben Brown, or St. Clair.

You need to build a line through the draft. Period.

5-10 225 40-4.45

Matt Forte Tulan

6-1 217 40-4.46

Matt Forte profile

I understand that and what I was trying to say to az is that it could go both ways. Pending who we view as the best overall talent left on the board we could go mendy then ot in the 2nd like tony hill from texas or baker from usc. If we see there is a talented rb on the board we should take him cause the top 2, maybe three ot's will be gone and there isn't much of a drop from williams to hill or baker. I said it before would minny drafted the talented player on the board even though it wasn't a "need" in AP look how that turned out for them. No one can say that it's all b/c of minny's line cause chester taylor would never have done the same thing to us that AP did. This draft is deep in both ol and rb, so it the top two of any are taken, why settle for the third or fourth best when you can get the 2nd best rb and not loose much in terms of oline with a hill or baker pick in the second round. Benson isn't proven and is coming back from a major injury I think staying put and taking a rb later may come back to bite us. Forte or rice may be good 2nd round options and if clady or some freak think happens and long are still there, yeah take forte in the second, however I think if those two are gone mendenhall should be the pick if he's on the board still.

Um yeah I did. What I saw was that AP didn't get touched until he was in the secondary or not at all. Maybe you watched a different game.

And there are maybe one or two guys max a year in FA that make a true difference in the line. The Jake Scott's are nothing more then filler and no better than a Ruben Brown, or St. Clair.

You need to build a line through the draft. Period.

That's funny I recall seing AP make many of our guys miss and break quite a few tackles. I think you need to rewatch the game cause saying a rb doesn't make a line better is bs. EVERYONE could tell the difference when AP was on the field as opposed to taylor. just like TJ made a difference as opposed to benson, heck look at ronnie brown, is the oline that good that their making him look like a stud, or is it the fact that he's making them look good? TJ found the holes and made the oline look better that's pretty darn obvious because our oline was exposed last year without him and that's not an opinion, it's a statistical fact. I find it hard to believe that in one year the oline can go from superbowl worthy to what we saw. It's called everyone knew that TJ was better and they didn't have any reason to fear the slower less shifty benson. Face it benson is a bust, he didn't have "NFL" speed.

That's funny I recall seing AP make many of our guys miss and break quite a few tackles. I think you need to rewatch the game cause saying a rb doesn't make a line better is bs. EVERYONE could tell the difference when AP was on the field as opposed to taylor. just like TJ made a difference as opposed to benson, heck look at ronnie brown, is the oline that good that their making him look like a stud, or is it the fact that he's making them look good? TJ found the holes and made the oline look better that's pretty darn obvious because our oline was exposed last year without him and that's not an opinion, it's a statistical fact. I find it hard to believe that in one year the oline can go from superbowl worthy to what we saw. It's called everyone knew that TJ was better and they didn't have any reason to fear the slower less shifty benson. Face it benson is a bust, he didn't have "NFL" speed.

Really??? How many times do you remember him making guys miss in the backfield? He was making people miss and breaking tackles in the secondary.

And everyone could tell when AP was on the field as opposed to Taylor, huh? AP's ypc was 5.6. Taylor's was 5.4. Shoot AP's longest run was 73 yards. TAylor's was 84 yards. Hell Mewelde Moore's ypc was 5.7. Looks to me like it didn't matter who was behind that line, they were getting 5 and a half yards per pop.

And you want to look at Miami? Lets do it. Brown had 5.1 ypc, Jessie Chapman had 4.0 ypc and Lorenzo Booker had 4.5 ypc. Looks like the line was pretty good.

And two years ago Benson was not considered a "bust" . He was a nice compliment to TJ who knew how to get north/south when TJ danced too much. The Super Bowl year TJ and BEnson both averaged THE SAME behind a good line 4.1 ypc.

Look at this year. Benson 3.4 ypc and TJ 3.6 both behind worse lines. And to bring TJ into the discussion on how important a line is, just makes the point for me. If you look over his career, TJ's production is directly tied to the line he plays behind.

The only way a running back makes a line look better is if the back is one of the greatest in NFL history. Like a Barry Sanders and Walter Payton. And the only time Payton won a Super Bowl was when the line was awesome.

And its pretty easy to believe that a line can go from good (they were never considered great) to garbage especially if some people get injured and 30 somethings get a year older. And I would love to see your statistical evidence that without TJ our line was "exposed". What statistical facts do you use to prove that?