To hell w/ it. Blow it up.

nfoligno

I am tired of these players not wanting to play under the contracts they signed, and am ready to deal w/ the situation.

Urlacher - NO desperatly wants to upgrade at LB, and has even been talked about trading up in this weak LB draft to get Rivers. Instead, we offer them one of the best LBs in the game. NO sends us their 1st (10th overall) and 3rd.

Harris - Cincy needs a DT in the worst way, and is also talking about trading up as Ellis may not fall to them, and the dropoff after Ellis is deep. Cindy sends us their 1st (9th overall) and 3rd (they have two).

Hester - Yes, that is right. I am going to deal the windy city flier. I do not think his value will ever be higher. He is the games best return man, and could become a good WR too. I do not believe he will ever be a great WR, as I do not believe he will ever become a consistent enough player at WR, but he could be very dangerous in that regard. Dallas' top two needs are for a return man and WR. They are looking at RB, but that is due to what is there in the draft more than pure need, as they have Barber. Hester definitely fills their need as a returner, and w/ Romo and TO, he would be in a far better position to develop as a WR. For Hester, they send both of their 1st round picks.

So we give up a ton, but also enter the draft w/ 5 picks in the 1st round, including 3 in the top 14. We have 4 picks in the 3rd as well. We these picks, we can make the board happy by adding both OL (Clady w/ the 9th) and RB (Mendenhall w/ the 10) in the 1st round. We can add a DT like Balmer at 14, and maybe grap the WR/returner Jackson w/ one of Dallas' picks to fill a pair of needs of our own. W/ my final 1st round pick, I add Kenny Phillips to start at S. No LB added, but none worthy, and I give Williams and Okwo and opportunity to fill the position.

Point is, I blow it up and infuse this team w/ a ton of young talent. If we keep all these veterans, this may not be a great year anyway, so blow it up and start developing youth for a long run after this year.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nfo,

I hear ya! This BS is really starting to be more than an onnoyance...

I am tired of these players not wanting to play under the contracts they signed, and am ready to deal w/ the situation.

Urlacher - NO desperatly wants to upgrade at LB, and has even been talked about trading up in this weak LB draft to get Rivers. Instead, we offer them one of the best LBs in the game. NO sends us their 1st (10th overall) and 3rd.

Harris - Cincy needs a DT in the worst way, and is also talking about trading up as Ellis may not fall to them, and the dropoff after Ellis is deep. Cindy sends us their 1st (9th overall) and 3rd (they have two).

Hester - Yes, that is right. I am going to deal the windy city flier. I do not think his value will ever be higher. He is the games best return man, and could become a good WR too. I do not believe he will ever be a great WR, as I do not believe he will ever become a consistent enough player at WR, but he could be very dangerous in that regard. Dallas' top two needs are for a return man and WR. They are looking at RB, but that is due to what is there in the draft more than pure need, as they have Barber. Hester definitely fills their need as a returner, and w/ Romo and TO, he would be in a far better position to develop as a WR. For Hester, they send both of their 1st round picks.

So we give up a ton, but also enter the draft w/ 5 picks in the 1st round, including 3 in the top 14. We have 4 picks in the 3rd as well. We these picks, we can make the board happy by adding both OL (Clady w/ the 9th) and RB (Mendenhall w/ the 10) in the 1st round. We can add a DT like Balmer at 14, and maybe grap the WR/returner Jackson w/ one of Dallas' picks to fill a pair of needs of our own. W/ my final 1st round pick, I add Kenny Phillips to start at S. No LB added, but none worthy, and I give Williams and Okwo and opportunity to fill the position.

Point is, I blow it up and infuse this team w/ a ton of young talent. If we keep all these veterans, this may not be a great year anyway, so blow it up and start developing youth for a long run after this year.

Come on people. You really are a bunch of spoiled fans. These athletes bust their ass in an extremely competitive market. No team hesittes to cut them, and that says nothing of the thousands who just barely miss the cut at all.

No, I say players should get paid as much as they can, and if threatening to holdout is the leverage that they have, the God bless them. its a market, the teams have their leverage too. They do the dance, and something fair comes out of it, or both suffer.

As far as 'being a man of your word' and playing through a contract, no that's not reasonable. This is a market where renegotiations are part of the landscape. Everyoe knows it going in. When a player and a tema sign a deal, they both know that if the player outperforms it, they will have to renegotiate, and if a player underperforms it, he will get cut.

I root for the Bears, but I also root for the players. Brian Urlacher didn't sit out last year because his back was screwed up, he played in pain, and gave what he had, even though the team was going nowhere. This IS a team guy. he deserves to get paid. Where should the money go if not to the players?

I just can't understand people here who just want these guys to jump like monkeys, put their health on the line, and do it with a smile on their face when they could be making more money. I wouldn't.

I hope Brian Urlacher gets PAID. I like that guy, and I want to see him succeed on the field and off. Anyone who disagrees is a selfish jerk who doesn't understand that these are human beings who have ascended to the highest ranking a very competitive and lucrative market. There is no profit sharing for them as there is for CEOs, no stock options that allow them to share in the increasing television revenues. So if the market allows them to renegotiate, if you are a fan, you should root for them.

I do.

Without that pesky salary cap, and the RICOCKULOUS contracts first rounders get, this is a great idea. I'd hate to see the stars go, but it would be interesting to see what could be done with that kind of first round firepower.

On the other hand...

We these picks, we can make the board happy by adding both OL (Clady w/ the 9th) and RB (Mendenhall w/ the 10) in the 1st round.

SCREW THAT! If the Bears had the 9th and the 10th, then they might as well trade Tait away for something, and pick up Otah AND Clady! And we STILL pickup Rachal in the third!!! Hell, Benson could turn into the league MVP with an OL like that!!!

NFO FOR BEARS GENERAL MANAGER!!!

BearFan,

I do see your point...

I have mentioned, that while annoying, I thihnk it'll all work out in the end.

It's just when this stuff gets voiced in public, it sours people. Heck, I too think all those guys deserve a pay increase... However, my loyalty always rests with the Navy and Burnt Orange...if Urlacher goes elsewhere, I wish him well, but I no longer will root for him....becasue that means I'm rooting for a team other than the Bears.

Come on people. You really are a bunch of spoiled fans. These athletes bust their ass in an extremely competitive market. No team hesittes to cut them, and that says nothing of the thousands who just barely miss the cut at all.

No, I say players should get paid as much as they can, and if threatening to holdout is the leverage that they have, the God bless them. its a market, the teams have their leverage too. They do the dance, and something fair comes out of it, or both suffer.

As far as 'being a man of your word' and playing through a contract, no that's not reasonable. This is a market where renegotiations are part of the landscape. Everyoe knows it going in. When a player and a tema sign a deal, they both know that if the player outperforms it, they will have to renegotiate, and if a player underperforms it, he will get cut.

I root for the Bears, but I also root for the players. Brian Urlacher didn't sit out last year because his back was screwed up, he played in pain, and gave what he had, even though the team was going nowhere. This IS a team guy. he deserves to get paid. Where should the money go if not to the players?

I just can't understand people here who just want these guys to jump like monkeys, put their health on the line, and do it with a smile on their face when they could be making more money. I wouldn't.

I hope Brian Urlacher gets PAID. I like that guy, and I want to see him succeed on the field and off. Anyone who disagrees is a selfish jerk who doesn't understand that these are human beings who have ascended to the highest ranking a very competitive and lucrative market. There is no profit sharing for them as there is for CEOs, no stock options that allow them to share in the increasing television revenues. So if the market allows them to renegotiate, if you are a fan, you should root for them.

I do.

OK, nfo for GM...but no way we miss Mendenhall!

Benson is garbage!

Without that pesky salary cap, and the RICOCKULOUS contracts first rounders get, this is a great idea. I'd hate to see the stars go, but it would be interesting to see what could be done with that kind of first round firepower.

On the other hand...

SCREW THAT! If the Bears had the 9th and the 10th, then they might as well trade Tait away for something, and pick up Otah AND Clady! And we STILL pickup Rachal in the third!!! Hell, Benson could turn into the league MVP with an OL like that!!!

NFO FOR BEARS GENERAL MANAGER!!!

I do.

NO, NO, NO, All wrong. I'm for a player getting more money, and all after their contract is up. If they sign a contract for seven years with a front loaded deal, all their doing is getting the guaranteed money and then bitching when they have it all saying they want a new contract with new guaranteed money. This is why tickets to these darn games are so expensive. Ridiculous. Now if a player plays and finishes his contract then plays hardball, I have no problem with it, he's just trying to get the best deal he can get, but this T.O. B/S is greedy,arrogant, and unprofessional. By the way a player can get cut anytime because it's a part of the job. The owners are their bosses and if in our world we weren't hacking it or "earning" our money we'd be shown the door. Drew rosenhaus is really destroying this league and anymore the comedy Baseketball (by the writers of southpark) saddly is becoming true. I love my football, but I wouldn't mind seeing the owners pull a move out of factory life and institute a lockout and truely show this money hungry, new money players just who signs their paychecks. Maybe then they will live up to their contracts. Is it the mckaskey's fault uralcher signed such a long deal. He got his millions I dont' feel sorry for him. It'd be like me getting a raise, then six months later a co-worker gets a raise and is making the same as me. Sure I've been there longer, but that's the name of the game and if he doesn't like the fact that some LB'ers are making more than him, he should finish out his contract or hold a microphone, cause no one held a gun to his head when he saw the $$$ signs while signing his contract. Just pathetic move on their part.

I'm spoiled. LOL. I would argue players who make more money than they know what to do w/, then demand more, are the spoiled ones.

I have never agreed w/ this argument. If a player doesn't perform, he gets cut. Yes. At the same time, he does not have to give back the money already given which he didn't earn either. Does he give back his SB? No. The reason the SB was made so big in recent years (relative) is to offset the chance of being cut. So the player has his out if he doesn't live up to snuff.

On the other end, I think it is a tad one-sided. I think the players believe renegotiations are part of it, which the teams do not.

Or he played through injury planning to seek more money. If he sat out, he would not have been in any position to ask for more money. A team guy goes to practice.

Cry me a river for these millionaires. Damn right I want them to jump through hoops like monkeys and do so w/ a smile (actually a bear growl). They are playing a game, and getting paid sick money to do so.

1. IMHO, anyone who has to revert to name calling (see above) is a, well, lets just say I don't want to resort to that level.

2. They hav eascended to the highest level blah blah blah. Yea, we get it. What they don't often get is that it is a team sport. So what is the point of playing football? Is the point to make as much money possible, or is the point to win championships? That is what I think players often either lose focus of, or never had the right focus going in. If it is just about the money for a player, I would rather he play for another team. If it is about winning, then I question the antics going on here. I am all for the player when the team is simply being cheap. That is not the situation here. The team shelled out for Urlacher several years ago, and did so when he had two years left on his original deal. Now, after a sub-par year for Urlacher, and the team, he is (IMHO) telling the team it is all about him, and not about championships.

Maybe this is not the standard that should be used, but I use Michael Jordan as a great example. Throughout his career, he was not the highest paid. In fact, often he was not even in the top 10, even though he was unquestionably the best player in the sport. He always said he would accept less in order for the team to add more players, because championships were the priority, not striking a deal your agent can crow about.

Pointed this out elsewhere, but while a team can cut a player, it is also why SBs have gone so high. Until players have to give back part, or all, of that SB when they do not play well enough, I don't want to hear about it being unfair. Players can get cut, but they keep their money.

Hey, I said "make the board" happy. I didn't say it would make me happy.

9th - Albert

10th - Clady

14 - Otah

22 - Phillips

28 - Brohm

So I leave the 1st round w/ new LT, LG and RT. Combine these rookes w/ Kreutz and Garza, and we will have the most dominant OL in the league in one years time (give them a year to develop together). I take Phillips at 22, and immediatly insert him into the starting lineup. If this is going to be a developmental year, there is no reason not to get our developmental QB.

2nd round goes to Curtis Lofton. Great fit to replace Urlacher.

In the 3rd round we have 4 picks. I like that.

70th - Forte (insert Smith if that is your preference). Benson will look great behind the OL I have built, but here is my 2 in the 1-2 punch.

77th - Rachal - I continue to build my OL. Rachal could push Garza immediatly

78th - Pat Sims - One of my favorite DTs in the draft. Gap shooter, and great fit for our system.

90th - Quinten Demps - I like this safety, as I continue to upgrade our secondary.

While I am not going to do the entire draft, I would like to point out my 4th round pick would be Jacob Hester, who will immediatly replace McKie.

Clady - Albert - Kreutz - Rachal - Otah - This is an OL that should dominate for years to come. I like how Kreutz would be able to lead as the veteran, while the rest have an opportunity to develop and grow together, and w/ Kreutz as their mentor, they should be nasty.

Besnon/Forte as my 1-2 punch w/ Jacob Hester blocking for them. Nice.

Speaking of blocking and all, Imagine the above OL. Now imagine Clark on one side, and Olsen on the other. Benson and Hester in the backfield. Who is our receiver? Who cares? We are going to pound the ball right up the gut.

Defense takes a hit w/ the losses of Urlacher and Harris, but we still have Briggs/Hunter, as well as our current youth (Williams/Okwo) and I really like Lofton.

Sims may not be harris, but I like him, and after I give our DEs the green light, it will take pressure off Dusty and Sims.

Phillips and Demps really upgrade this secondary.

What do you think Jason?

Thinking outside the box, as usual, Nfo. I like the concept. But wow, that's gonna be a ton of signing bonuses for as-yet-to-be-proven talent.

I do.

I happen to think your view of things is incredibly warped.

The majority of fans want these guys to play for what they signed for, within reason. Keep in mind that they are getting paid MILLIONS, and that even one season on the field is enough to support their family for the rest of their lives (let alone future generations).

The teams don't hesitate to cut them?! Are you serious? If anything, they constantly hesitate. Why...you may ask? Well, for one, the salary cap is a tool that not only players' ability to "get paid" - as you put it - but it also hinders the ability of the owners to make moves (because of the stupid cap hits). And where do these cap hits come from? Why is there such confusion of it all? Oh, that's right, because these guys get MULTI-MILLION DOLLAR GUARANTEES AT THE FRONT END OF THEIR CONTRACTS!!!

Calling nearly every other fan who doesn't agree with you a selfish jerk is preposterous. I don't give a shit if they have ascended to the highest level of anything. The point is, they already get paid MILLIONS, and it pisses of regular guys like me who don't make anywhere near millions. The truth is, most fans would play for a small percentage of what these guys get paid, and they have gone beyond the point at which they take it for granted.

Most probably don't disagree with raises or renegotiations. What we get pissed off about is the whining about being disrespected, the complaints of being underpaid, and the over-all callous nature with which these guys handle their financial affairs.

What is the point of the contract if the reason the employer signs it is to get a player locked up long-term by giving a player big money up front, and then after the front-loaded money is gone the player starts bitching?

Yes, it will cost a ton in SB. Then again, we gave Briggs $13m and he still isn't happy. Harris wants $30m. Urlacher wants more, and who knows how much Hester wants. Yes, those are proven studs, but are proving to be pain in the arces too. Take that $30m Harris wants and spread it out.

Hey, I said "make the board" happy. I didn't say it would make me happy.

9th - Albert

10th - Clady

14 - Otah

22 - Phillips

28 - Brohm

So I leave the 1st round w/ new LT, LG and RT. Combine these rookes w/ Kreutz and Garza, and we will have the most dominant OL in the league in one years time (give them a year to develop together). I take Phillips at 22, and immediatly insert him into the starting lineup. If this is going to be a developmental year, there is no reason not to get our developmental QB.

2nd round goes to Curtis Lofton. Great fit to replace Urlacher.

In the 3rd round we have 4 picks. I like that.

70th - Forte (insert Smith if that is your preference). Benson will look great behind the OL I have built, but here is my 2 in the 1-2 punch.

77th - Rachal - I continue to build my OL. Rachal could push Garza immediatly

78th - Pat Sims - One of my favorite DTs in the draft. Gap shooter, and great fit for our system.

90th - Quinten Demps - I like this safety, as I continue to upgrade our secondary.

While I am not going to do the entire draft, I would like to point out my 4th round pick would be Jacob Hester, who will immediatly replace McKie.

Clady - Albert - Kreutz - Rachal - Otah - This is an OL that should dominate for years to come. I like how Kreutz would be able to lead as the veteran, while the rest have an opportunity to develop and grow together, and w/ Kreutz as their mentor, they should be nasty.

Besnon/Forte as my 1-2 punch w/ Jacob Hester blocking for them. Nice.

Speaking of blocking and all, Imagine the above OL. Now imagine Clark on one side, and Olsen on the other. Benson and Hester in the backfield. Who is our receiver? Who cares? We are going to pound the ball right up the gut.

Defense takes a hit w/ the losses of Urlacher and Harris, but we still have Briggs/Hunter, as well as our current youth (Williams/Okwo) and I really like Lofton.

Sims may not be harris, but I like him, and after I give our DEs the green light, it will take pressure off Dusty and Sims.

Phillips and Demps really upgrade this secondary.

What do you think Jason?

A bit over the top, but I smiled and laughed out loud while reading it. That would kick ass. I don't care who the Bears put in at RB with that type of OL. Actually, the first thing I thought of was Emmitt Smith. With that line, the Bears could have a average/good player who would, with any luck and health, turn into a 2,000 yd. per year player for several years. I honestly believe that. It would look like a 1990's Nebraska game as the Bears racked up 200+ yds. rushing every game, ate the clock up, and generally made it ugly. The fourth quarter would be completely ours.

I'll have to think about this one...about what I would do with a blown up draft like that. But I have to admit, it wouldn't be too far off what you have. With that OL, and Hester as a FB, and two stud TEs, there would be GAPING holes to run through. A five yard gain would be a disappointment.

You might think that scheme over the top, but think about this. Olsen and Clark are at TE. They are both solid receivers, and Olsen has the speed to get over the top. In Hester, who have a very solid receiving FB, who won't just catch the ball and fall down. If you have Forte in the backfield, now you have added one more solid receiver. All the while, you still have a WR on the far outside.

So while you might very well just smash it down their throat, at the same time you could also have 5 legit receivers. So what does a defense do? Stack up w/ big bodies, and thus expose yourselves for our Olsen going over the top, or prepare for the pass catching ability, and get smashed in the mouth.

I'll tell you who would really love this unit. Our defense. Our offense would win TOP battles to the point the D would be working on excercise bikes to stay warm on the sidelines.

You guys are a joke. A team would never trade their core for 5 picks in the 1st round in the same draft.

One, I would argue the core of a bad apple is not a core worth keeping.

Two, if there is a believe that core is not long term, it would make sense.

Three, if the team is no where close, and looking at our offense, I question how close we are, then it makes sense.

Four, I am not saying it is going to happen. W/ rules surrounding the rookie pool, I doubt it even could happen, even if we wanted to. I was just throwing it out there for the hell of it. It is not to be taken too seriously.

I like this idea ALOT. Except I wouldn't get rid of Hester. I know it can't last forever, but everytime he touches the ball, I am reminded about why I love football. He is the most entertaining player I've seen in a long time and that's worth the minor headaches. I'd be more than willing to overpay him a reasonable amount to extend him but not until he is closer to the end of his contract.

I'm spoiled. LOL. I would argue players who make more money than they know what to do w/, then demand more, are the spoiled ones.

I have never agreed w/ this argument. If a player doesn't perform, he gets cut. Yes. At the same time, he does not have to give back the money already given which he didn't earn either. Does he give back his SB? No. The reason the SB was made so big in recent years (relative) is to offset the chance of being cut. So the player has his out if he doesn't live up to snuff.

On the other end, I think it is a tad one-sided. I think the players believe renegotiations are part of it, which the teams do not.

Or he played through injury planning to seek more money. If he sat out, he would not have been in any position to ask for more money. A team guy goes to practice.

Cry me a river for these millionaires. Damn right I want them to jump through hoops like monkeys and do so w/ a smile (actually a bear growl). They are playing a game, and getting paid sick money to do so.

1. IMHO, anyone who has to revert to name calling (see above) is a, well, lets just say I don't want to resort to that level.

2. They hav eascended to the highest level blah blah blah. Yea, we get it. What they don't often get is that it is a team sport. So what is the point of playing football? Is the point to make as much money possible, or is the point to win championships? That is what I think players often either lose focus of, or never had the right focus going in. If it is just about the money for a player, I would rather he play for another team. If it is about winning, then I question the antics going on here. I am all for the player when the team is simply being cheap. That is not the situation here. The team shelled out for Urlacher several years ago, and did so when he had two years left on his original deal. Now, after a sub-par year for Urlacher, and the team, he is (IMHO) telling the team it is all about him, and not about championships.

Maybe this is not the standard that should be used, but I use Michael Jordan as a great example. Throughout his career, he was not the highest paid. In fact, often he was not even in the top 10, even though he was unquestionably the best player in the sport. He always said he would accept less in order for the team to add more players, because championships were the priority, not striking a deal your agent can crow about.

Well said. :cheers

I like the idea. I just think they need to relook contracts in general. Maybe have some type of stipulation where if a team cannot cut you, you also cannot sit out. Maybe for the first 3 years of a deal or something along those lines. Another idea might be a limit on the amount of times players can renegotiate contracts.

I honestly have no problem dealing Urlacher. I think its smart business to trade guys when they are exiting there prime, especially when they still have tremendous trade value and Brian has exactly that.

However, the one flaw with your idea I have is the money that will go to all of those picks is probably greater than what it would cost to sign guys (this may seem like a ridiculous concept, but the amount of guaranteed money top 10 picks get is just crazy). Oh and the other flaw is we are getting rid of guys who gripe about there contract but will than draft guys that end up holding out for at least some part of training camp (or at least there is a very good chance of that, especially as you move into the top 10 picks in the draft; although Angelo clearly has a good history of getting guys signed).

Sounds about right.

I would probably demand a 1st and two 3rds for Harris.

Hester - Yes, that is right. I am going to deal the windy city flier. I do not think his value will ever be higher.
Agreed on peak value. What I'm afraid of here, is that everyone else knows that too. But you know some teams would be drooling toinstantly lead the league in field position.

All in all, you can't do this. The future would possibly be bright, but you destroy the now. Could you imagine the nightmare of re-signing this draft class 4-5 years down the road. My God!, this board would be smokin!!