OFFICIAL NFL DRAFT DAY THREAD!

BearSox

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Craig Steltz scouting report via si:

BIOGRAPHY: All-Conference selection as a senior after becoming a full-time starter then leading LSU with 101 tackles and 6 interceptions while also breaking up 7 passes. Junior totals included 42/4/9 when he started two games.

POSITIVES: Nice sized safety that works hard on and off the field. Instinctive, quickly diagnoses the action and takes good angles to the play. Aggressive in all aspects of the game and an intimidating presence in centerfield who aggressively lays his shoulders into ball handlers. Quick in run defense and wraps up tackling.

NEGATIVES: Lacks top sideline-to-sideline range and slow getting to the flanks in coverage. Marginal closing and recovery speed.

ANALYSIS: Steltz comes off a terrific senior campaign in which he improved almost every area of his game. He does not possess the great speed yet his smarts, tenacity and ball skills makes him well suited for a zone system.

PROJECTION: Early Fourth Round

I watched nearly every LSU game this year and Stultz may be M Brown's replacement due to his ability to rush the passer and play 2 the line.

Kiper just compared him to Doug Plank. Few here are probably old enough to remember him. He was who Buddy Ryan named the "46 Defense" after.

I have no idea if Kiper is right but the highlight film on this kid looks like he's got great instincts. I hope he hits like ol' #46. :)

LSU sent him on delayed blitzes often in which he usually drilled the Qb as he was throwing or tipped the ball which led to alot of turnovers. One other thing I recall about him is when he is close to the Qb he always had his hands up making him seem eight feet tall. This is the first pick I like since Williams.