2008 Pick'ems Contests Sign-up Thread

Pixote

OK, this is the official sign up thread for this year's Pick'em Contests. DBDB has said he would give me access to upload the contest to the internet. It will be awhile before the software for 2008 is available for me to purchase and download. So, this is just an early sign-up thread that will continue until approximately a week before the season begins. The cutoff date will be announced later.

Those of you from Bearstalk are all aware of the contests that I have been running for many years now.

"Pixote's Challenge" is an office pool that is absolutely free to the poster participating.

I have not decided if there will be any prizes. Usually, it is just for bragging rights. Maybe we can work out something with DBDB where if you win it can somehow be added to your profile, or maybe we can start a page showing the winners from each year as we did on Bearstalk. Unfortunately, when my system crashed without a backup, I lost all the awards pages I had for the previous years I ran this.

I want to keep it simple this year. Last year we had 3 different pool sites going. This year it is going to be just one pool site with 3 contests you will be entered into. You will go to the main page of the web site for the contest and will have access to all types of resources showing information you can use to help make your selections and view the weekly results as well as the year's standings for each contest.

You will make you selections on an internet picksheet and submit it to me. Your selections will not show up until the deadline for picks are completed, this way no one can copy your picks.

I have to upload each players picks using the program interface so it is not something done automatically on the internet. I assure you I will try and keep everything updated quickly but if I am a bit slow at times do to work I would hope you would understand.

Contest 1: Pick'ems Against the Spread:

The main pick'em pool will be a contest where each week you will select the teams you think will win AGAINST THE SPREAD. In other words, if the Bears are favored by 9 and they only win by 8, if you choose the Bears to win, since they did not cover the spread, you lose that game. If you chose the Bears' opponent, since they "covered the spread", you win. The player who has the highest winning percentage of wins after the season is over wins this pool. Tie Breakers will be announced later.

Contest 2: Survivor Pool:

Pick one team each week to win. 3 losses and you are out. You can only pick a team once. Example- In Week 1 you pick Detroit- you can't pick them again in this pool. If you do, it will be a loss. In case of multiple "deaths" at the last a tie breaker will be used. Tie Breaker - The longest "winning streak" of games picked of those players. THIS POOL IS STRAIGHT UP, NO SPREAD!! Believe me, it is tough enough to survive in this pool without having to cover the spread.

Contest 3: Margin Pool:

You pick one team to win and receive the "Margin" or points that game is won by. You also lose those same points if your team loses. All games are straight up, NO "Spread". Winner is the person with the most points at the regular seasons end. For example, if you pick the Bears and they win by 8, you win 8 points, if they lose by 24 (more likely) you lose 24 points. You may only pick a team one time for the season. Duplicate picks or picking a team for the second time or missed.

Anyone interested, please respond to this thread. If you have questions, please PM me or post it in a new thread and I will answer your questions asap. Thanks!

Pix,

I'm in!

Thanks again for doing this!

OK, this is the official sign up thread for this year's Pick'em Contests. DBDB has said he would give me access to upload the contest to the internet. It will be awhile before the software for 2008 is available for me to purchase and download. So, this is just an early sign-up thread that will continue until approximately a week before the season begins. The cutoff date will be announced later.

Those of you from Bearstalk are all aware of the contests that I have been running for many years now.

"Pixote's Challenge" is an office pool that is absolutely free to the poster participating.

I have not decided if there will be any prizes. Usually, it is just for bragging rights. Maybe we can work out something with DBDB where if you win it can somehow be added to your profile, or maybe we can start a page showing the winners from each year as we did on Bearstalk. Unfortunately, when my system crashed without a backup, I lost all the awards pages I had for the previous years I ran this.

I want to keep it simple this year. Last year we had 3 different pool sites going. This year it is going to be just one pool site with 3 contests you will be entered into. You will go to the main page of the web site for the contest and will have access to all types of resources showing information you can use to help make your selections and view the weekly results as well as the year's standings for each contest.

You will make you selections on an internet picksheet and submit it to me. Your selections will not show up until the deadline for picks are completed, this way no one can copy your picks.

I have to upload each players picks using the program interface so it is not something done automatically on the internet. I assure you I will try and keep everything updated quickly but if I am a bit slow at times do to work I would hope you would understand.

Contest 1: Pick'ems Against the Spread:

The main pick'em pool will be a contest where each week you will select the teams you think will win AGAINST THE SPREAD. In other words, if the Bears are favored by 9 and they only win by 8, if you choose the Bears to win, since they did not cover the spread, you lose that game. If you chose the Bears' opponent, since they "covered the spread", you win. The player who has the highest winning percentage of wins after the season is over wins this pool. Tie Breakers will be announced later.

Contest 2: Survivor Pool:

Pick one team each week to win. 3 losses and you are out. You can only pick a team once. Example- In Week 1 you pick Detroit- you can't pick them again in this pool. If you do, it will be a loss. In case of multiple "deaths" at the last a tie breaker will be used. Tie Breaker - The longest "winning streak" of games picked of those players. THIS POOL IS STRAIGHT UP, NO SPREAD!! Believe me, it is tough enough to survive in this pool without having to cover the spread.

Contest 3: Margin Pool:

You pick one team to win and receive the "Margin" or points that game is won by. You also lose those same points if your team loses. All games are straight up, NO "Spread". Winner is the person with the most points at the regular seasons end. For example, if you pick the Bears and they win by 8, you win 8 points, if they lose by 24 (more likely) you lose 24 points. You may only pick a team one time for the season. Duplicate picks or picking a team for the second time or missed.

Anyone interested, please respond to this thread. If you have questions, please PM me or post it in a new thread and I will answer your questions asap. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...