Benson arrested again...

Conehead

The Bears should hear his side of the story and wait for more concrete details to come out. If everything is as bad as it appears, Benson should be cut.

Everyone knows you get lots of "second" chances if you're a great player. Even with Tank, I think most people were still excited about the sort of player he could become, but Cedric Benson is not that guy anymore. Unless the story changes, we have to look at it as Cedric Benson himself has now shown us the level of personal responsibity, commitment, and respect for the privilege it is to play in the NFL that he has, and it's not nearly enough.

Some of these players on the Bears have a lot of pride about being a Bear, and rightfully so. I know it hurts to take the cap hit, but I guarantee you there are guys on the team (especially since Benson isn't exactly Mr. Popular) who'll resent that they have to share the field and their comraderie with a self-absorbed, high first round pick prima donna who just refuses to get it.

Also, at this point no one on these boards can say they know Forte or Garrett can't be a great starting runningback and change of pace back. Of course it doesn't hurt that I don't see AP as much of a dropoff from Benson either. I know AP's speed limits his ceiling, but I've seen too much talent out of him over the years to come to the conclusion that he couldn't get the job done (with decent O-line play of course). Let's put it this way. I still don't consider runningback to be one of our biggest problems. Historically, RB's are nearly the easiest position to get find quality substitute help for.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Bears deserve to here his side of the story, but its very clear that Angelo and the Bears talked with Benson and told him not to put himself in those situations. If he had a drink or two, given his previous situations, call a cab service/limo service whatever. You are a professional athlete, you have the money to ensure that you do whatever it takes to get home safely (especially when you have a history and you know one more bad move puts you directly in the cross-hairs).

I really wish he gets it, because if he did, he'd be good, but I don't endorse the Bears franchise turning themselves into a parole office with Lovie and company having to baby-sit its players hoping one day they'll figure crap out.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

I think the Bears deserve to here his side of the story, but its very clear that Angelo and the Bears talked with Benson and told him not to put himself in those situations. If he had a drink or two, given his previous situations, call a cab service/limo service whatever. You are a professional athlete, you have the money to ensure that you do whatever it takes to get home safely (especially when you have a history and you know one more bad move puts you directly in the cross-hairs).

I really wish he gets it, because if he did, he'd be good, but I don't endorse the Bears franchise turning themselves into a parole office with Lovie and company having to baby-sit its players hoping one day they'll figure crap out.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. Ced has shown a complete lack of judgement (like you said, call a cab). Further, his actions after the 1st incident are disrespectful to the Chicago Bears organization. What exactly do you think Angelo and Lovie said to Ced after the 1st incident? They told him to stay out of trouble and what did he do - he acted a fool not once, but twice.

I would say there is a very, very good chance he is gone.

Peace :dabears

Guest TerraTor

what an assclown

Sayonara...

Report: Cedric Benson arrested on drunken driving charges

June 7, 2008

BY SUN-TIMES STAFF

The Austin American-Statesman is reporting that Chicago Bears running back Cedric Benson was arrested last night on drunken driving charges in Austin. Benson was arrested last month in Texas for boating while intoxicated.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/be...son0608080.stng

Chicago Bears running back Cedric Benson arrested on drunken driving charge

By Tony Plohetski | Saturday, June 7, 2008, 08:47 AM

Chicago Bears and former University of Texas running back Cedric Benson was arrested and charged with drunken driving in downtown Austin, police said.

Austin police spokeswoman Veneza Aguinaga said Benson was stopped overnight at 5th and Colorado Streets for a traffic violation and refused a breathalyzer and blood test.

Benson was arrested and taken to the Travis County Jail. He was released around 9 a.m. this morning on bond, jail officials said.

The arrest comes a month after Benson was arrested on Lake Travis on charges of boating while intoxicated and resisting arrest, both class B misdemeanors. Those cases are still pending.

Benson was a first-round Bears draft pick in 2005 and started 11 games last season for the team. At the University of Texas, he was a four-year starter and ranks as the school’s second all-time rusher with 5,540 yards.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/sha...g_back_ced.html

Without the blood test, we really don't know if he was drunk. It appears he DRANK and drove, even if it was only a little, but as I said in the Tank case, not many of us can say we haven't done the same and we'd be hyocrites to condemn him. I'm not saying it's right, just saying if we're doing/done the same wrong, we shouldn't point fingers. So those of you who are blasting him, I hope you've NEVER drank and driven.

Smiling in the mug shot is what really pisses me off. With everything that has happened, what the hell was he thinking?

As far as I am concerned Benson can not be trusted and has totally lost his privelege to remain with the beloved. The Bears can only count on the same total lack of judgement, heart and disrespect for the organization to continue should Benson be given another reprieve after this arrest.

I also think K. Jones would be an excellent pickup and has shown more potential than Benson but unfortunalety he has also be very injury prone. The major difference between the two is that I have not ever heard that KJ had been accused of having a poor work ethic, bad attitude nor done anything detrimental to his team. I must admit that I do not follow the lions either. I also think KJ would love an opportunity to suit up against his old team and prove that they made a mistake by letting him go. Jones has bettehr speed and vision from what I remeber and just never had a very good line nor an OC committed to running.

The league should not penalize a team "salary cap wise" for cutting a player who has committed an act detrimental to the league image. This would help teams make Goodells job much easier to manage the league's image.

Without the blood test, we really don't know if he was drunk. It appears he DRANK and drove, even if it was only a little, but as I said in the Tank case, not many of us can say we haven't done the same and we'd be hyocrites to condemn him. I'm not saying it's right, just saying if we're doing/done the same wrong, we shouldn't point fingers. So those of you who are blasting him, I hope you've NEVER drank and driven.

Smiling in the mug shot is what really pisses me off. With everything that has happened, what the hell was he thinking?

Here's the big difference. No one has ever given me $16 million to represent their organization. I guarentee you, if they had given me a 10th of that, I would not put myself in the situations he has over the past month.

I'm amazed the lengths people will go to in order to defend this clown. Put all the pieces together, dude. Benson is a tool.

Here's the big difference. No one has ever given me $16 million to represent their organization. I guarentee you, if they had given me a 10th of that, I would not put myself in the situations he has over the past month.

You got that right. I'd be doing nothing but the right thing every time. I'd be damn near perfect. People would be comparing me to the Chuck Norris facts webpages because of all the good I'd be doing.

Have you ever drank ANY alcohol and driven? If you have, I'd argue you ahve more to lose with a DUI than Benson does. If he loses his job, he's still a millionaire. If a regular Joe loses his job because of a dui, he is in serious trouble. Maybe you don't lose your job, but DUIs are very expensive. Those costs are peanuts to Benson.

Jason, I'm not defending him. I'm saying most of us do the same wrong things and those of us who do, shouldn't point fingers. We're wrong with him (not saying you, maybe ur not one)

The key is, he did all of this after being told by the Bears that he can't put himself in those type of situations. He was well aware of the chance he was taking and I do think you have a valid point in regards to people having a drink or two or three and than driving (where quite possibly you wouldn't pass a sobriety test). And while no matter what its wrong to do, I think people are entitled to a mistake (sometimes in the case of a DUI, you aren't even entitled to a mistake because that one mistake may end up having you kill someone or yourself), but after that you better learn your lesson and not put yourself in that situation again.

Benson was told not to put himself in a bad situation and driving at 3 am after a few drinks is a bad situation. He can easily afford a limo or a drive or a cab service and given what had just happened to him that was the no-brainer situation of the day.

Hell, I defended Tank when it came to going out. I'm a 25 year old and I go out all the time on weekends, sometimes till 2 or 3 in the morning. Am I getting into trouble, usually not. Have I done some dumb things, sure, but nothing to get arrested or in trouble, but at the same time I'm a 25 year old having a little fun (its understandable, hell, I'm a freaking accountant, he's an NFL player so I'm sure he can have even more fun). The thing is at the end of the day, I'm responsible for myself and hold myself accountable (if I did do something stupid, than I would accept the consequences and take it like a man (for the record I don't ever drink & drive)). Benson isn't doing this, he continues to play the blame game and coming from someone whose a similar age I think thats a joke and I'm highly dissapointed he didn't learn from his initial mistake.

Bottom line, he dug himself into the hole and now he gets to reap the consequences (ie, getting cut and quite possibly having a failed NFL career). Lucky for him he still has his bonus money, but it sickens me to see just how many professional athletes are complete tools. I couldn't imagine if I had those athletic skills because if I did, I know damn well that I'd handle myself in a professional manner. IT sickens me how much athletes get handed. Its stuff Joe Average would never get (I'm not referring to money by the way). Its more how people just come to hold athletes to a lesser standard to a point (although in some cases, athletes and celebrities get burned more than a typical person, but in many instances they get away with so much more).

On the monteray standpoint, athletes are entertainers and its a billion dollar business and they deserve whatever money the owners are willing to give to them.

The key is, he did all of this after being told by the Bears that he can't put himself in those type of situations. He was well aware of the chance he was taking and I do think you have a valid point in regards to people having a drink or two or three and than driving (where quite possibly you wouldn't pass a sobriety test). And while no matter what its wrong to do, I think people are entitled to a mistake (sometimes in the case of a DUI, you aren't even entitled to a mistake because that one mistake may end up having you kill someone or yourself), but after that you better learn your lesson and not put yourself in that situation again.

Benson was told not to put himself in a bad situation and driving at 3 am after a few drinks is a bad situation. He can easily afford a limo or a drive or a cab service and given what had just happened to him that was the no-brainer situation of the day.

Hell, I defended Tank when it came to going out. I'm a 25 year old and I go out all the time on weekends, sometimes till 2 or 3 in the morning. Am I getting into trouble, usually not. Have I done some dumb things, sure, but nothing to get arrested or in trouble, but at the same time I'm a 25 year old having a little fun (its understandable, hell, I'm a freaking accountant, he's an NFL player so I'm sure he can have even more fun). The thing is at the end of the day, I'm responsible for myself and hold myself accountable (if I did do something stupid, than I would accept the consequences and take it like a man (for the record I don't ever drink & drive)). Benson isn't doing this, he continues to play the blame game and coming from someone whose a similar age I think thats a joke and I'm highly dissapointed he didn't learn from his initial mistake.

Bottom line, he dug himself into the hole and now he gets to reap the consequences (ie, getting cut and quite possibly having a failed NFL career). Lucky for him he still has his bonus money, but it sickens me to see just how many professional athletes are complete tools. I couldn't imagine if I had those athletic skills because if I did, I know damn well that I'd handle myself in a professional manner. IT sickens me how much athletes get handed. Its stuff Joe Average would never get (I'm not referring to money by the way). Its more how people just come to hold athletes to a lesser standard to a point (although in some cases, athletes and celebrities get burned more than a typical person, but in many instances they get away with so much more).

On the monteray standpoint, athletes are entertainers and its a billion dollar business and they deserve whatever money the owners are willing to give to them.

Oh I'm in no way saying he shouldn't suffer the consequences of his actions, I'm not even saying the Bears shouldn't cut him. I wouldn't be upset if they did. All I'm saying is that alot of people here like to sit on their high horse when I'm sure at least some of them have done the same thing he is alledgedly guilty of.

Oh I'm in no way saying he shouldn't suffer the consequences of his actions, I'm not even saying the Bears shouldn't cut him. I wouldn't be upset if they did. All I'm saying is that alot of people here like to sit on their high horse when I'm sure at least some of them have done the same thing he is alledgedly guilty of.

Ok miamibear, nobody here is going to disagree with you that messageboard fans, who are far from perfect themselves, sometimes revel too much in trashing players for their mistakes. But you could have made that point on every other post you've read about Benson these past couple of years, so it's highly suspect (and I think inappropriate) that you'd choose this topic to bring that up. Truth is, assuming he did drink and drive, this is the perfect example of a case where outspokenly condemning his actions is justified. Held out on his contract, whined about everybody being against him, let himself get overweight, whatever...it's all small potatoes in comparison. All that other stuff only hurts him significantly, and as you pointed out, he's already rich, so why should he care? Not many people killed by a drunk driver ever cared much that they were hit by someone rich.

Your suggestion that others have no business criticizing him for one-upping his recent mistakes with this new one (just because others have made the same mistake) is misguided. Cedric was not a victim here, he made a choice, and these things don't "just happen". We need to cultivate a community mindset that it's inexusable, period, not just if you got caught, and the way we go about doing this is hardly to keep our mouths shut.

In my earlier post I suggested since he's not some star player who's only screwed up once or twice, that I think it's time for the Bears to move on without Benson. I never called him any names or said he was a terrible person and I made sure to clarify that the Bears should get the facts more concrete and hear Ced's side of the story before making any decisions...and I'm sure that's exactly what the Bears will do. And don't get me wrong, I think there's also a problem with media and fans thinking because players get paid so much, they have a right to verbally treat them lik s***, as if buying a Sunday football ticket could ever waive your responsibility to be a decent human being. But IMO now is not the time for you to go there... or clarify your point... or whatever else similar you might have in mind.

Oh I'm in no way saying he shouldn't suffer the consequences of his actions, I'm not even saying the Bears shouldn't cut him. I wouldn't be upset if they did. All I'm saying is that a lot of people here like to sit on their high horse when I'm sure at least some of them have done the same thing he is allegedly guilty of.

Ok, I DO NOT DRINK alcohol - had a brother who died of alcoholism related event - I refuse to risk it

I have NEVER been drunk

I have NEVER therefore driven under the influence of alcohol

I walk with pain with every step (since 1978) after a drunk driver hit me and fractured my right hip

I agree, innocent until proven guilty

However, the fact is his behavior in this last incident still shows a lack of judgment in that he should never have put himself in this position. He knew he needed to refrain from any form of "risky behavior".

As a Bears fan I was looking forward to a two headed monster of the midway - Benson & Forte

Now I will settle for Forte to step up and kick ass and pick up a good backup for protection

What a waste of talent. All because of his lack of mental awareness & his psychological makeup

Have you ever drank ANY alcohol and driven? If you have, I'd argue you ahve more to lose with a DUI than Benson does. If he loses his job, he's still a millionaire. If a regular Joe loses his job because of a dui, he is in serious trouble. Maybe you don't lose your job, but DUIs are very expensive. Those costs are peanuts to Benson.

Jason, I'm not defending him. I'm saying most of us do the same wrong things and those of us who do, shouldn't point fingers. We're wrong with him (not saying you, maybe ur not one)

I will admit in my younger years to transgressions I am not proud of but that occurred when I was responsible to no one but myself. I have been married for 15 yrs and have 3 children so obviously my responsibilities have changed. The most I ever have to drink is 2 of whatever (maybe once every 3 months) and never when I know I am going to drive. You're right that I would have alot more to lose than Benson given my current situation and I choose not to risk it. Ced is going to look back on this someday and realized that he, and he alone, pissed away his NFL career.

Ok miamibear, nobody here is going to disagree with you that messageboard fans, who are far from perfect themselves, sometimes revel too much in trashing players for their mistakes. But you could have made that point on every other post you've read about Benson these past couple of years, so it's highly suspect (and I think inappropriate) that you'd choose this topic to bring that up. Truth is, assuming he did drink and drive, this is the perfect example of a case where outspokenly condemning his actions is justified. Held out on his contract, whined about everybody being against him, let himself get overweight, whatever...it's all small potatoes in comparison. All that other stuff only hurts him significantly, and as you pointed out, he's already rich, so why should he care? Not many people killed by a drunk driver ever cared much that they were hit by someone rich.

Your suggestion that others have no business criticizing him for one-upping his recent mistakes with this new one (just because others have made the same mistake) is misguided. Cedric was not a victim here, he made a choice, and these things don't "just happen". We need to cultivate a community mindset that it's inexusable, period, not just if you got caught, and the way we go about doing this is hardly to keep our mouths shut.

In my earlier post I suggested since he's not some star player who's only screwed up once or twice, that I think it's time for the Bears to move on without Benson. I never called him any names or said he was a terrible person and I made sure to clarify that the Bears should get the facts more concrete and hear Ced's side of the story before making any decisions...and I'm sure that's exactly what the Bears will do. And don't get me wrong, I think there's also a problem with media and fans thinking because players get paid so much, they have a right to verbally treat them lik s***, as if buying a Sunday football ticket could ever waive your responsibility to be a decent human being. But IMO now is not the time for you to go there... or clarify your point... or whatever else similar you might have in mind.

I have ZERO problem with his actions being condemned by those who have never commited those actions themselves. If he's guilty, what he did is wrong, and should be blasted.

My problem is with hypocrisy. I would LOVE to bash Benson in this case because I'm angry there is another black eye on the team I love but I can't because I've drank and then driven before. I don't drink much but have a very high tolerance for alcohol. If I even feel a buzz, I hand the keys to my GF or a family member. I'm a skinny guy so even 2 beers will probably put me over the legal limit and it would be a risk for me to drive. If I were to get a DUI, I'd DEFINATELY lose my job. Would I still drive home after having a beer or two at my dad's house? Yes. Is it a risk I'm taking for possibly breaking the law in it's technical nature? Yes. Am I the only person here who has had the above scenario play out many times? Doubt it.

Let me make it clear once again, I am not defending Benson or drunk drivers here. A DUI does not mean the driver was drunk. I believe many people here have DUI'd at one level or another. All I am saying is let he without sin cast the second stone. Pix got the first stone since he's not a drinker, you the man Pix =D

I have ZERO problem with his actions being condemned by those who have never commited those actions themselves. If he's guilty, what he did is wrong, and should be blasted.

My problem is with hypocrisy. I would LOVE to bash Benson in this case because I'm angry there is another black eye on the team I love but I can't because I've drank and then driven before. I don't drink much but have a very high tolerance for alcohol. If I even feel a buzz, I hand the keys to my GF or a family member. I'm a skinny guy so even 2 beers will probably put me over the legal limit and it would be a risk for me to drive. If I were to get a DUI, I'd DEFINATELY lose my job. Would I still drive home after having a beer or two at my dad's house? Yes. Is it a risk I'm taking for possibly breaking the law in it's technical nature? Yes. Am I the only person here who has had the above scenario play out many times? Doubt it.

Let me make it clear once again, I am not defending Benson or drunk drivers here. A DUI does not mean the driver was drunk. I believe many people here have DUI'd at one level or another. All I am saying is let he without sin cast the second stone. Pix got the first stone since he's not a drinker, you the man Pix =D

To me it is not action itself but the fact that he used piss poor judgement. Hell, I would be just as upset if he had got into a fight in his house and been arrested. It really doesn't matter what he did, it's the fact that he knew he was on thin ice but continued down his path anyway and embarassed himself and the Chicago Bears organization. I am not condemning the act, I am condemning the fact that he was stupid enough to get himself arrested again.

To me it is not action itself but the fact that he used piss poor judgement. Hell, I would be just as upset if he had got into a fight in his house and been arrested. It really doesn't matter what he did, it's the fact that he knew he was on thin ice but continued down his path anyway and embarassed himself and the Chicago Bears organization. I am not condemning the act, I am condemning the fact that he was stupid enough to get himself arrested again.

Exactly Right - You nailed it! As far as I am concerned a jay walking ticket, a littering violation, or a parking ticket would have been stupid at this point in the game. He was already warned to stay clean. He knew he had pending issues with the state of Texas. How dumb can you be?

I can agree with that.

His story again seems somewhat odd. He admitted that he indeed had some drinks (2-3) at dinner with his girlfriend, yet he was pulled over at 2am under the suspicion of alcohol. Either he ate really late, or he is lying. There is no way 2-3 drinks at 8 or 9pm would affect him enough 5 hours later that the cops would suspect alcohol. The smile in the mugshot is classic.

As some of the others have said, it is not necessarily the action itself. It is the fact that he has had two serious judgment calls that can have serious impacts on his life. Football is all about decision making, and Benson is showing that he lacks that ability.

I think we all realize you are not defending Benson. I think we also realize the comparisons you are making about hypocrisy. I, however, think it's COMPLETELY different.

Benson has MILLIONS. I can say with certainty, that if I were in his situation, I would never get caught in a scenario like that. His money, and high profile job, give him opportunities normal people don't have. That's why the hypocrisy is off base, IMHO. Put me in Benson's place and you would soon realize through the media that I hired a personal driver or something similar.

For the record, I will say that I've never been drunk driving, but I won't lie and say that I haven't driven home when I shouldn't have legally. So, like the commerical says, I suppose buzzed driving is drunk driving, but that's semantics since you are much more in control buzzed than when drunk (buzzed driving is like driving while very sleepy), even though both will lead to jail.

I wish you'd taken my advice and stopped trying to "clarify".

I have a problem with your thinking. "A DUI does not mean the driver was drunk." Legally speaking you're wrong. But you know that. You apparently are suggesting you aren't intoxicated to the degree that mental and physical faculties are too impaired at .08+ for safe driving. You're saying you know yourself better than what courts and experts have deemed. Hypothetically you could be right. Has this theory been tested on you by a research team or something? Nope. Rationalize it all you want, you're still taking a chance...saying in your mind, it's worth the risk I'll kill or maim because (in the expert opinion of someone who's recently been drinking) the risk is low. That's fine if it was only you at danger, but you do not have the right to make that choice for someone else's and their wife and three little kids (or hell, even if it's just one guy and he's a lawyer). Rail against hypocrisy if you like. I don't like it either. But the solution to the hypocrisy is to stop driving drunk, not to keep our mouths shut, which is exactly what I meant when I called you misguided. Proclaiming you'd take your chances again if it ever comes up isn't exactly endearing either, but I'm not interested in making this argument about you. Also, I'm not completely black or white on it all in the sense that I recognize it's not nearly as irresponsible to be .08 as it is .18, as do court judges typically.

Like Pixote apparently, I also can guarantee I've never driven with over a .08 BAL but it's moot. It might not be apples to apples because the onset only happens after you've been driving, often putting you in a bind because you don't want to pull over just anywhere and rest ('cause you might get killed like Michael Jordan's dad)...but I've driven when I was way too sleepy to have any business doing so. If the end result is me crippling some innocent for life, I don't see how it's all that different. These days, I refuse to put my own appraisal that the "risk is low" above other innocent people's safety and I sart looking for a place to rest or to properly wake up if I find myself in that situation. Hypothetically, even if one month from now I excercise bad judgement and once again drive while sleepier than I should be, it would still be no excuse for me to stop criticizing it. In othe words, I can guarantee you any hypocrisy will not stop me from saying it's wrong or criticizing someone for it.

When I eventually questioned myself as to why my newfound clarity about driving in an impaired state evolved slowly over time rather than getting it from the get-go, I came to the conclusion that as a community, we don't stress enough (or maybe the problem is quality, not quantity) exactly what I've expressed in the paragraphs above...and even to the extent that people know it's wrong, it happens so frequently that people are lulled into a sort of "everybody does it sometimes...it just happens" sort of mentality. So even if miamibear refuses to understand, hopefully anyone else who bothered to read all this won't say, as I did once, "although I knew better, it just didn't hit home".

[Thanks mods for allowing slightly offtopic, I've said now what I have to say.]