Bears release Benson

butkusrules

I don't think it's as bad as this poster, but frankly, this is a major negative mark on Angelo's draft record and cannot possibly be construed any other way now. The classes of 07 and 08 better show up solid this year, for his sake.

Well it was either him or Mike Williams. At least we got a little productivity out of him.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like you should talk crap about dumb posts....

Ok guys, we gave a warning in another thread, now I'm giving it here. Personal attacks = no no's. Keep it cool please. The fact that we're having to say this 2x today in 2 different threads to different sets of people is frankly fairly troublesome. If you guys don't want us to have to police the site, then don't give us reasons why we need to. This is not directed solely at the poster I'm replying to, FWIW.

The team will save $820,000 on the cap by releasing him, but there will be a $2.575 million pro-ration that will count against the 2008 cap. There will be a $2.575 million cap charge for the Bears in 2009.

But if he is picked up what does this mean? no cap hit?

I don't think any of us should be glad, but rather disappointed. Disappointed that once such a good, as close as you can get to a can't miss prospect, is now gone after 3 years. I was one of his biggest backers, but he was a person of horrible judgment. I personally would have given him more time depending on how the charges fell into place and such, but I have no problem with him being cut now for being a freakin dumbass. He wasn't as bad as Tank though, as Tank was a thug more or less. Benson is like his idol Ricky Williams and likes to get hosed up, which isn't a good thing, but it's not as bad as having 100 guns and getting into gun fights at bars.

Oh well, I just wish this happened before the draft so we could have gotten someone like Hillis, Hester (Jacob that is), or Schmitt in the draft. I don't think even if we did cut Benson before the draft, we would have done anything different with the 1st two picks.

I was one of his biggest backers, but he was a person of horrible judgment.

How HORRIBLE is his judgement really? If his version of what happened at Lake Travis is true, he did nothing wrong. The video tape of Saturday's arrest supposedly contradicts the officer's affidavit that he was drunk and staggering and refused a blood test according to some law officials that have seen it (i opened a thread regarding this).

Lets assume the above is true for the sake of argument. Ced went out Saturday, had a couple of drinks, and was driving home. All perfectly legal (assuming he was below legal limit). Should he be FORCED to get a driver because of the negative perception that arose from the lake Travis incident even though he looks to be innocent in that case? If his side was true, that's all it was, a negative PERCEPTION, not reality. He did nothing wrong at Lake Travis. If he was driving legally now, again all we have is another negative perception, not reality.

So what most people are saying is that because he is rich and knows he's a target, he SHOULD hire a driver just in case. I agree that would have avoided all this mess, but what about his civil and legal rights? If he is abiding by the law, he shouldn't HAVE to take extra steps to be EXTRA legal. Do his rights go out the window because he's rich? How would you feel if this happened to you, innocent both times and you get fired because the incidents gave a negative perception?

Ok guys, we gave a warning in another thread, now I'm giving it here. Personal attacks = no no's. Keep it cool please. The fact that we're having to say this 2x today in 2 different threads to different sets of people is frankly fairly troublesome. If you guys don't want us to have to police the site, then don't give us reasons why we need to. This is not directed solely at the poster I'm replying to, FWIW.

Whatever. Didn't like that akshaz post was called the dumbest ever. Take care of the source and I wont have to pipe up.

He never cared about sacrificing himself for the better of this team and us the fans. I know many of us who didn't like the pick still got up and cheered him and found reasons to believe he could live up, but he didn't. He was a reach in a weak draft class and burned the GM that took him...that to me shows no respect for the game, the business, and the tradition. Playing for da Bears should be an honor, and he spit into the wind the minute he put on our cap...if we don't want our GM to let go, we're gonna be stuck with Rex, Orton, and Bradley for years to come...

:crying

Congrats on the least informed contribution to this thread. Pretty much everyone knows I despise Benson. However, I love the Bears, and if this decision hurts the Bears in the salary cap, it's a bad idea. It'd be better to sit him down for a year.

How HORRIBLE is his judgement really? If his version of what happened at Lake Travis is true, he did nothing wrong. The video tape of Saturday's arrest supposedly contradicts the officer's affidavit that he was drunk and staggering and refused a blood test according to some law officials that have seen it (i opened a thread regarding this).

IMO you're confusing two different arguments. It doesn't matter whether it was a legal injustice, what matters is:

1. He repeatedly embarrassed the franchise. Maybe this is bad luck on Cedric's part, but he did.

2. Angelo likely told him, "Don't be out late. Don't party in public. If you do bad things will likely happen." He said something similar to this to Tank, and Tank was released. (He also told Tank to be careful who he hangs out with. I'm convinced Benson needs to stay away from his Mom, since she's always in the picture when he gets arrested.)

Cedric was told he'd be fired if he put himself in a position where he could be accused of doing something wrong. He did and now he's gone. The end.

Congrats on the least informed contribution to this thread. Pretty much everyone knows I despise Benson. However, I love the Bears, and if this decision hurts the Bears in the salary cap, it's a bad idea. It'd be better to sit him down for a year.

Please correct me if I am misunderstanding this but; how is cutting a player and taking on a cap hit (meaning money that can not be allocated to a player but not actually spent) vs. paying a player his salary and benching him for the season a better option for the team or the salary cap for that matter? Does the cap hit = Benson's annual salary or is it an additional penatly against the Bears' current cap?

If they are equal than I would say that it is far more beneficial to the Bears to cut the player and eliminate the distration than paying him to ride the pine and having him around to be a distraction.

Please explain if I am misunderstanding how the cap works.

I've never been a Benson fan from the moment we drafted him. I questioned the pick at the time but decided to give him a chance. If he worked out it'd be one of those pleasant surprises. Then the holdout which opened the door for Jones to take over the starting spot. Ced was behind from the beginning. His body language said he didn't care and his comments often showed he didn't have a clue. The only time he showed effort was when he was fighting for playing time behind Jones. Jones is traded and he's handed the job having not earned it and doesn't produce or even act like he cares. In four seasons he's still not reliable in passing downs for blitz pickup. Having him leave the game just tips the other team that it's a pass play. Then we come to this summer and he has the boating incident, speeding through a construction zone, then the latest arrest where he failed a field sobriety test and refused Breathalyzer and blood tests (if you weren't over the limit why would you refuse?).

As a Bear fan I am saddened by his behavior from day one. He's given me little to cheer about in the 4 years he's been here. Though I didn't it when we drafted him I tried and tried to give him a fair shake. Normally the term indefensible is a good thing to call a player but in Benson's case it's because it's become harder and harder to defend him. I do think the Bears did the right thing by letting him go. I don't believe it was going to work out for him or the Bears. For the sake of the team this give the Bears a chance to move on. While this is another miss by Angelo on a high pick I do give him credit for making the tough call and in effect admitting that it was a blown pick.

I for one am more relieved than happy that he's finally gone and we can focus on the future and not the drama that has surrounded Benson for most of his time here in Chicago. I will say I was surprised to read the news that he'd been let go. I had figured they would let this season play out for now and if things didn't improve then make the move.

I see us going for either Jones or Alexander. I highly doubt we bring in Henry it would make no sense to release one problem child only to bring in another one. If it's between Jones or Alexander my pref might be Alexander if he's healthy he's the better option. We have two young backs in Wolfe and Forte. Our lone vet is Peterson. Alexander likely near the end of his career but my have a good year or two left would make sense as Forte is likely envisioned as the future at the RB spot. Alexander would provide a proven vet to the mix.

The next few days/weeks will be interesting.

I for one am more relieved than happy that he's finally gone and we can focus on the future and not the drama that has surrounded Benson for most of his time here in Chicago. I will say I was surprised to read the news that he'd been let go. I had figured they would let this season play out for now and if things didn't improve then make the move.

I see us going for either Jones or Alexander. The next few days/weeks will be interesting.

I agree with the first part. I'm tired of hearing about how many women Lance has impregnated and all the guys who are disgrustled with their contract. The turd has been flushed! now we can move on.

I disagree on Alexander. Only because he's a terrible receiver and if he came here, he'd be expected to be a hero. How could Forte ever flourish with him around? I can't remember Jones ever playing or rushing for over 100 yards a game so there's not much pressure there.

Please correct me if I am misunderstanding this but; how is cutting a player and taking on a cap hit (meaning money that can not be allocated to a player but not actually spent) vs. paying a player his salary and benching him for the season a better option for the team or the salary cap for that matter? Does the cap hit = Benson's annual salary or is it an additional penatly against the Bears' current cap?

If they are equal than I would say that it is far more beneficial to the Bears to cut the player and eliminate the distration than paying him to ride the pine and having him around to be a distraction.

I was merely replying to the crying emoticon. I was far from crying, especially since my disdain for Benson is clear.

As for the actual situation, the Bears take a cap hit this year and next. Why not keep him around, suspend him, and give him incentive for next year? If he continues to act up, no harm, no foul...cut him. If possible, trade him ala Pacman. As it stands now, he won't learn a lesson, the team hasn't really played hardball (although they've come close), and Benson will not learn a thing. It's better to teach him a lesson if the Bears are forced to carry the cap hit.

I like everyone else thought this was a good choice when Benson was drafted and waited to see how things played out. Three years later, Ced starts getting into trouble of some sort with the local authorities where he is. If anyone of us did this within the aspects of our jobs, we would be fired at the first mishap and not given a second chance. Ced made another poor decision with what ever he was doing and is now being let go for this error in judgment. From a players point, Ced definitely has not lived up to his billing coming out of college and I believe one of the downsides to his evaluation by the so called experts is that he did not have the heart for what he needed to do at the next level. It seems that he, like so many others, does not realize that it is a privilege and an honor to be a professional athlete. People will say that he was injured however, the true superstars figure out a way to be on the field every day and do their best to be upstanding citizens both on and off the field. I know this was the right move however, it continues to prove for every talent Jerry Angelo finds, there are far many more errors that set this team back further and further. How much longer will Ted Philips and Virginia allow this seemingly incompetent individual run this team? We need to make another serious change to right this ship once again.

name='jason' date='Jun 9 2008, 10:09 PM' post='40255']

As for the actual situation, the Bears take a cap hit this year and next. Why not keep him around, suspend him, and give him incentive for next year? If he continues to act up, no harm, no foul...cut him. If possible, trade him ala Pacman. As it stands now, he won't learn a lesson, the team hasn't really played hardball (although they've come close), and Benson will not learn a thing. It's better to teach him a lesson if the Bears are forced to carry the cap hit.

I see what you are saying here, but disagree solely on team chemistry. Benson has been an assbag of a teammate and a football player. From the day he came has offered no accountability for his actions. I would rather have a guy with less talent come in and bust his ass to make the team, knowing that when this got into the game he was going to make the best of his opportunity. Cutting Benson ends it at all costs and sends the team a message. We want people who want to play football for a living. Players need to be professionals on and off the field. Regardless, of a players sense of entitlement, it is they that owe the organization they play for. Yes, we'll take a hit and it sucks, but Lovie and JA know the locker room and what they want to drive for the franchise.

When players get up front money in the form of a signing bonus, the player gets all the money upfront, but the cap hit for it gets spread out equally over the term of the contract. So, if a player gets a $10 million signing bonus on a 5 year contract, their cap hit each year is their salary + 2 million in bonus amortization.

Now, if a player is released prematurely, any remaining unamortized bonus money has to be accounted for and accellerates to the cap year in which the player is released - unless it's after June 1st in which the current year's amortization applies, and the remainder hits the following year.

In Benson's case, we still have 2 years at 2.55 million to amortize. Against this year's cap, we will save his $810k salary for a net dead cap hit of roughly $1.7 million and a dead cap hit of $2.55 million next year.

The way I would explain it would be like leasing a car for 5 years, not liking the car after 3 years and returning it so you can't use it at all, but still having to pay 75% of the cost of keeping it.

When players get up front money in the form of a signing bonus, the player gets all the money upfront, but the cap hit for it gets spread out equally over the term of the contract. So, if a player gets a $10 million signing bonus on a 5 year contract, their cap hit each year is their salary + 2 million in bonus amortization.

Now, if a player is released prematurely, any remaining unamortized bonus money has to be accounted for and accellerates to the cap year in which the player is released - unless it's after June 1st in which the current year's amortization applies, and the remainder hits the following year.

In Benson's case, we still have 2 years at 2.55 million to amortize. Against this year's cap, we will save his $810k salary for a net dead cap hit of roughly $1.7 million and a dead cap hit of $2.55 million next year.

The way I would explain it would be like leasing a car for 5 years, not liking the car after 3 years and returning it so you can't use it at all, but still having to pay 75% of the cost of keeping it.

You are basically dead one LT2, from AP:

The team will save $820,000 on the cap by releasing him, but there will be a $2.575 million proration that will count against the 2008 cap. There will be a $2.575 million cap charge for the Bears in 2009.

What does this comment by Rotoworld mean:

the Bears will save money against this year's salary cap if Cedric Benson is not claimed on waivers
Does that mean the Bears save more money if he is claimed?

You are basically dead on LT2, from AP:

What does this comment by Rotoworld mean: Does that mean the Bears save more money if he is claimed?

Ummm yeah - I have to wonder if AP used me as their source - not from here but from my numbers published elsewhere. The Trib and Suntimes have been WAAAAYYYYY off on their numbers. :D

As for rotoworld, they don't know WTF they are talking about. They must have misunderstood something written somewhere.

Got any links to those stories?