The Wolfe taking it seriously this yr

Connorbear

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice article on GW. Sounds like he realized he needed to dedicate himself. I, for one, hope he sticks and provides an impact.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/be...-bear02.article

Peace :dabears

Well, that kinda ticks me off. I have always been a fan of Wolfe and it is disappointing to me that his work ethics last year were less than needed. I am surprised. I thought it was just getting accustomed to the "big game" and not a lack of preparation that held him back.

Well, that kinda ticks me off. I have always been a fan of Wolfe and it is disappointing to me that his work ethics last year were less than needed. I am surprised. I thought it was just getting accustomed to the "big game" and not a lack of preparation that held him back.

That's one of the reason's that the most improvement occurs in the 2nd year. These High School, then NCAA studs come in and really don't know what to expect when they hit the NFL. Unless you are an elite talent, you have to work. It's good to hear he's got it, as Cedric never did. Now's let's look forward to seeing he get's it.

That's one of the reason's that the most improvement occurs in the 2nd year. These High School, then NCAA studs come in and really don't know what to expect when they hit the NFL. Unless you are an elite talent, you have to work. It's good to hear he's got it, as Cedric never did. Now's let's look forward to seeing he get's it.

How will we see it? When is he going to get carries? People might not like my opinion on him for whatever reason, but I am curious to hear anyone who thinks he is going to make an impact explain how and when. He would be extremely lucky to get 1 carry per game. He is the 4th back and 3rd backs are lucky to get one series.

name='DrunkBomber' date='Aug 2 2008, 08:25 AM' post='42655']

How will we see it? When is he going to get carries? People might not like my opinion on him for whatever reason, but I am curious to hear anyone who thinks he is going to make an impact explain how and when. He would be extremely lucky to get 1 carry per game. He is the 4th back and 3rd backs are lucky to get one series.

As a 3rd down back, if he makes one play a game and contributes on special teams, he has value and matters. When Jones is healthy, Wolfe will be the 3rd back and AP will be a full time special teamer.

As a 3rd down back, if he makes one play a game and contributes on special teams, he has value and matters. When Jones is healthy, Wolfe will be the 3rd back and AP will be a full time special teamer.

Until we see Wolfe on the field ahead of AP I dont think its fair to say he will be ahead of him on the depth chart. He also isnt going to be a third down back. He cant block and he cant get short yardage so the defense will know if hes in its going to be a pass, more than likely to him. If its a third and long AP will be in and anything else will more than likely be Forte.

Until we see Wolfe on the field ahead of AP I dont think its fair to say he will be ahead of him on the depth chart. He also isnt going to be a third down back. He cant block and he cant get short yardage so the defense will know if hes in its going to be a pass, more than likely to him. If its a third and long AP will be in and anything else will more than likely be Forte.

The Bears are going to keep 4 rb and 1 fb on the roster. AP is most likely going to be a pure special teams leader. In fact, I expect him to be names special teams captain b ut his role on offense will be limited. Wolfe best chance to succeed is as a change of pace back. Look for the coaching staff to give him that opportunity this yr.

Peace :dabears

name='DrunkBomber' date='Aug 2 2008, 11:42 AM' post='42666']

He can block and he will fill the role he was drafted for. AP will not be our 3rd down back, as Forte and Jones talent will keep him off the field. 3rd and long will be when you see Wolfe.

First, AP's blocking is overrated. He wiffed on a lot of blocks last year. Wolfe might not have the size you want but he has the strength needed to block. I thought he did ok blocking last year but he needs to improve. He will be our 3rd and long threat. In the open field he can do stuff no other RB on the roster can do I just hope that Turner doesn't use him up the middle against Minn on 1st and 10. I agree that as Kevin Jones gets healthy AP will move exclusively into the special teams role.

He doesnt have the tools and we dont have the room in the backfield. How is he going to make an impact when he is the 4th string running back? IF he makes it through the year on the roster, he wont make the team next year.

Why do you (and some others) hate Garrett Wolfe so much? It baffles my mind that you don't see how dangerous this guy can be to an opposing team's defense. Speed, shiftiness, pass-catching ability, can break a tackle (because he doesn't get hit squarely), he has the tools.

He has everything you need unless you plan on running him up the middle twice in a row on the goalline against the #1 rush defense. Of course, NOBODY would be stupid enough to do that. Oh, wait....

Wolfe: 5'7" 186lbs

A few "small" guys doing well in the NFL now:

Dunn: 5'9" 180lbs

Meggett: 5'7 180lbs

Sproles: 5'6" 181lbs

MJD: 5'7" 208lbs

Westbrook: 5'10" 203lbs

A few "small" guys who did well in the NFL:

Eric Metcalf: 5'10" 187lbs

Barry Sanders: 5'8" 203lbs

Thurman Thomas: 5'10" 206lbs

Now look at all those names, imagine mane more, and then go compare their college stats with Wolfe (since that's our only comparison at this point). If the others did it, why can't he?

Why do you (and some others) hate Garrett Wolfe so much? It baffles my mind that you don't see how dangerous this guy can be to an opposing team's defense. Speed, shiftiness, pass-catching ability, can break a tackle (because he doesn't get hit squarely), he has the tools.

He has everything you need unless you plan on running him up the middle twice in a row on the goalline against the #1 rush defense. Of course, NOBODY would be stupid enough to do that. Oh, wait....

I just dont think he is better at any specific skill than any of the other backs we have. I must just disagree with all you guys but I guess only time can tell.

I just dont think he is better at any specific skill than any of the other backs we have. I must just disagree with all you guys but I guess only time can tell.

No? I think your hate blinds you.

He's faster than any other back on the roster.

He's quicker than any other back on the roster.

He's a better open-field rusher than any other back on the roster.

He's probably a better pass-catcher than any other back on the roster.

The first three alone make him a player who should get AP's carries. The combination of all four means that he should see the third-down-RB role exclusively. Hell, I think he should get more carries than Jones, since the vast majority of the #1 carries should go to Forte anyway.

If the Bears don't get the ball into Wolfe's hands 5-10 times a game, it's a sad waste of talent.

You didn't watch any of the Youtoub training camp vids that I posted did you. He's looking pretty fast and hits the hole with speed Not to mention he's seeing a lot more reps then ap in camp thus far. Don't be surprised to see 50% to forte 40% to Jones when healthy, and 10 to wolfe leaving ap to take aybendejo's place on Sp teams

You didn't watch any of the Youtoub training camp vids that I posted did you. He's looking pretty fast and hits the hole with speed Not to mention he's seeing a lot more reps then ap in camp thus far. Don't be surprised to see 50% to forte 40% to Jones when healthy, and 10 to wolfe leaving ap to take aybendejo's place on Sp teams

I just dont really put much stock into training camp videos. If I did I would have went into last season thinking Grossman to Hester was the next Montana to Rice.

No? I think your hate blinds you.

He's faster than any other back on the roster.

He's quicker than any other back on the roster.

He's a better open-field rusher than any other back on the roster.

He's probably a better pass-catcher than any other back on the roster.

The first three alone make him a player who should get AP's carries. The combination of all four means that he should see the third-down-RB role exclusively. Hell, I think he should get more carries than Jones, since the vast majority of the #1 carries should go to Forte anyway.

If the Bears don't get the ball into Wolfe's hands 5-10 times a game, it's a sad waste of talent.

You have to realize that most of those are opinions.

You have to realize that most of those are opinions.

Sorry, but most of the points I made are not opinion.

He's faster than any other back on the roster. - I don't have the time or the inclination to look up 40 times, but he's the fastest RB on the roster. (KJ's pre-injury 40 in college doesn't count).

He's quicker than any other back on the roster. - This is without a doubt fact.

He's a better open-field rusher than any other back on the roster. - This is without a doubt fact.

He's probably a better pass-catcher than any other back on the roster. - Until I see Forte catch out of the backfield, I'll count this as a fact.

Sorry, but most of the points I made are not opinion.

He's faster than any other back on the roster. - I don't have the time or the inclination to look up 40 times, but he's the fastest RB on the roster. (KJ's pre-injury 40 in college doesn't count).

He's quicker than any other back on the roster. - This is without a doubt fact.

He's a better open-field rusher than any other back on the roster. - This is without a doubt fact.

He's probably a better pass-catcher than any other back on the roster. - Until I see Forte catch out of the backfield, I'll count this as a fact.

So you dont have his 40 time and youre not going to count KJs because hes had an injury?

There is no possible way to prove he is quicker, I mean seriously...

Better pass catcher? Says who? AP is a good pass catcher and Forte could be better.

Im agreeing to disagree but seriously, the closest thing you have to prove of any of your theories is not knowing Wolfes 40 time and saying KJs doesnt count because he was injured.

Quickness is evaluated at the scouting combine in a couple drills and below you will see that Garrett Wolfe was at the head of his draft class.

http://www.emqb.com/nfl-scouting-combine-day-four/

"Anyway, here are the best results from Sunday’s workouts:

Running Backs: 20 Shuttle (Garrett Wolfe, Northern Illinois, 4.08); 60 Shuttle (Kenny Irons, Auburn, 11.47); Three Cone (Garrett Wolfe, 6.69); Vert Jump (Darius Walker, Notre Dame, 40.5); Broad Jump (Chris Henry, Arizona and Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma, 10′7″); 40-yard Dash (Chris Henry, Adrian Peterson and Antonio Pittman, Ohio State, 4.40)"

From NFL Draft Scout.com they posted Wolfe's 40 time as being 4.39

I have no clue where to find those results for Jones, AP, and Forte except I found one source stating that Jones ran a 4.33 forty. From memory AP ran a 4.6 forty and Forte ran a 4.44 and I don't see either of them being as quick in the shuttle and 3 cone runs as Wolfe. Wolfe is fast but he really doesn't have what I call long-speed. His good forty time is a result of his quickness at getting up to full speed. He will get run down from behind by a lot of players whereas a guy like Kevin Jones might take a bit longer to get up to speed but he's less likely to get caught from behind.

As a side note: San Diego plans to use Sproles a lot more this year as a RB. Not to imply he'll be a primary back just that with Turner out of the equation expect to see more of Sproles spelling LT.

Im not doubting Wolfe is fast but I just dont see him as being a factor in the NFL. We can go back and forth but his play is the only real basis we have. Theres lots of guys that are fast that dont amount to anything.

Sorry, but I think you're really mislead by your assumptions on Wolfe, any running back that can do this can be a factor in the NFL. Needless to say the packers defense is pretty good in their own rights. You obviously don't give wolfe enough credit with his speed and ability to make someone miss. Was that Barrnett that he made look silly? If the coaches have your mentality, they are screwing over the team, because wolfe has more open field moves than peterson. Don't get me wrong I like peterson, but he doesn't have the same ability as opposed to wolfe's ability to pick up third and longs that some wouldn't think possible. Peterson is more like forte and jones with less talent or ability. Wolfe is a completely different runner than all three of the others. If you can't see that your just intentionally being bias. And if you didn't see anything from that highlight, click on the screen pass to wolfe in the New Orleans game. He has what it takes, and a lot more!

Im not doubting Wolfe is fast but I just dont see him as being a factor in the NFL. We can go back and forth but his play is the only real basis we have. Theres lots of guys that are fast that dont amount to anything.

Dude, look up the 40 times. It's not hard. He's faster than any RB on the roster unless Kevin Jones is a medical miracle and recovers to college speed - which usually doesn't happen.

If you look at the videos on youtube and can't see that he's the best open field runner out of the RBs, then I'd say you don't know football talent when you see it. It's not even close. The others are good, but Wolfe breaks ankles. It's the difference between a regular NBA crossover and an Iverson crossover.

As for pass catching, none are really proven. KJ has had one good year as a RB pass-receiving, but other than that it's a wash. Wolfe looked pretty good last year when given the chance.

In a completely different angle, stats say he's fast. Videos say he's elusive. Why exactly do you think he's not good? What makes you think he's so bad, or not a factor? I sure hope you aren't using the runs up the middle vs. the Vikings as your basis for debate.

Another reason I am looking forward to this Thursday. We have all been reading all the press releases and debating topics like this one. I can't wait to see what we have on the field in live action against another team. No red-shirts, strap it up and show what ya got.

I agree Pix...

Let's hope the kid gets it and makes an impact.

If not, it's yet another strike agasint Jerry.