Mike Brown cut

VenomSox

Two sources said offensive tackle John Tait is seriously considering retirement, and a third source close to the team called it a fait accompli that Tait will not return for 2009 despite having one year left on his contract. Mike Brown, the heart and soul of the Bears for the last nine seasons, was informed Friday that the team will not make him a contract offer. The Bears also cut ties with Marty Booker, one of the top wide receivers in team history, but the biggest story is the Bears seem set to lose a player they want to have back.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/index.html

One thing Angelo has been great about since 2006, is providing depth at damn near every position. Sure, it's early in the off-season, but damn the free agent class looks awful. We have WAY more needs then we do draft picks. Positions that suck:

Wide Reciever:

#1 WR--Devin Hester: He'd be a great # 3, or even a good #2. Not a #1.

#2 WR--Rashied Davis: He's a great #5 WR.

#3 WR--Earl Bennett: He looked solid on special teams . . .

There's no indication that we'll be players for one of the major WR's out there. I sure as hell don't have faith in Riddeau or whoever the hell else we have. We need to add AT LEAST two more quality WR's to this team. Shouldn't we resign Lloyd???

Safety:

Free Safety--Danieal Manning. He's tried and failed at this position for 3 straight seasons. Ugh.

SS--Kevin Payne: Very good at projectiling himself at the other team. He misses far too often.

Back-up: Kevin Payne--He wouldn't even had made the team if he hadn't been a 4th round pick. He didn't even impress on special teams.

McGowan's a free agent, but has been anything but durable. What's worse is that their's not much available in free agency, other then the guy from the Rams, and the rookie class again appears to be anemic. While I'm not really in favor of moving Peanut to safety, for lack of a better option . . .

Offensive Tackle:

Let's assume that Tait is indeed retiring. What's strange is apparantly we've shown little interest in resigning St. Clair thus far. Can we really count on Chris Williams??? Yikes this position looks awful.

Considering we have needs at DE, QB, and guard, I don't really see how we'll be able to get all this done.

I don't get this move. He may be injured a lot, but some of it's just plain bad luck. The Lorenzo Neal thing was a cheap shot.

And through all that, he was still THE BEST SAFETY THE BEARS HAD.

Horrible move when considering the other needs of this team.

I've always been a fan of how Mike Brown played the game but he's just too slow anymore. He was not good at all playing FS for us. It was amazing how many railed against the backup CB who gave up the 20 yd play against Atlanta yet nobody blasted Mike Brown for not protecting the one play that would lose the game, especially knowing he had a player new to the team. Once we finally admitted that problem we put him back in the box where he played well but then as usual he got injured again and started missing time. I will miss the player we had back in 2004 but I won't miss the player we had last year. We had a bad defense last year, one that could not make a stop when it needed to. It's time to make some changes and we can't afford a roster spot for a guy who always forces us to carry an extra safety on the roster.

Incorrect to say he was cut. Not to nit-pic, but his contract was up, and he is simply not being offered a new deal.

Two sources said offensive tackle John Tait is seriously considering retirement, and a third source close to the team called it a fait accompli that Tait will not return for 2009 despite having one year left on his contract. Mike Brown, the heart and soul of the Bears for the last nine seasons, was informed Friday that the team will not make him a contract offer. The Bears also cut ties with Marty Booker, one of the top wide receivers in team history, but the biggest story is the Bears seem set to lose a player they want to have back.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/index.html

I don't want to make too much of it at this time. While we may not now be offering him a new deal (a) we could have our sights set on a better FS, like the one from Stl, or (B) could want to see what sort of market he has. If we are unable to add a FS in FA, and Brown is getting little to no interest, we may yet look to re-sign him.

I don't get this move. He may be injured a lot, but some of it's just plain bad luck. The Lorenzo Neal thing was a cheap shot.

Hard to know if this was a good or bas move until we see what kind of contract he gets. There is no way you pay him more than a mil or so.

Bringing him back at a low money deal, to me, is a no-brainer. He just makes everyone better when healthy, and I'd rather take my chances with him than give Steltz a spot. But you can't tie up much money in someone who is almost guaranteed injured.

It does make sense, but I'd prefer to keep him around, even just for the clubhouse. My dream scenario is getting either Rashad Johnson or Louis Delmas (preferably Delmas) in the draft and start right away at FS with Brown and Payne platooning at SS.

I'm going to refrain until I see it actually go down...

I know I will be sorely depressed if we do not bring him back in some capacity...

I eagerly await what happens.

I don't want to make too much of it at this time. While we may not now be offering him a new deal (a) we could have our sights set on a better FS, like the one from Stl, or (B) could want to see what sort of market he has. If we are unable to add a FS in FA, and Brown is getting little to no interest, we may yet look to re-sign him.

It is a shame that Angelo thinks that little of Brown. I understand that he has been injury prone lately however, he adds a dimension to the defense that lacks when he is not there. I agree Brown may have lost a step or two however, never underestimate the heart of this type of player. I say we need to resign him to a respectable incentive laced contract and see what happens. If Brown gets hurt again early in the season, let him stay around and help coach the DBs and anything else he maybe able to add insight to the defense. It is a disappointing display of the way this team continues to mistreat players who show loyalty, heart and determination. We need more players like Brown to be on this team and cutting ties with Brown is a total no win situation.

Gotta agree. Hate to see him go, but then again, he may well be brought back later. Given his injury history, I doubt many teams out there are going to offer him a deal.

It is a shame that Angelo thinks that little of Brown. I understand that he has been injury prone lately however, he adds a dimension to the defense that lacks when he is not there. I agree Brown may have lost a step or two however, never underestimate the heart of this type of player. I say we need to resign him to a respectable incentive laced contract and see what happens. If Brown gets hurt again early in the season, let him stay around and help coach the DBs and anything else he maybe able to add insight to the defense. It is a disappointing display of the way this team continues to mistreat players who show loyalty, heart and determination. We need more players like Brown to be on this team and cutting ties with Brown is a total no win situation.

Show me the statistics from last season where Brown in the game versus out of the game made a big difference. I like the guy and admire how he played but our D gave up long drives all year long. They also could not close out a game when we were ahead all year long.

Not true that Brown is getting no interest. San Diego has had their eyes on him for a while. Their fans have craved for a safety and his name has popped up several times. Plus, they have a Defensive Coordinator that knows what MB can do.

He'll get a good, incentive-laden contract from some team. Given our situation at the position, I don't know why it cannot be us.

I have to digress. Mike Brown was absolutely horrific last year in pass protection. He was still average at stopping the run but I think now is the right time to try and adjust. I don't believe the Bears have the in-house guys (Payne/Manning is not the right combination, imo, however it is possible that Tillman or Vasher is the right guy and that the squad will instead make a change at the CB position).

I do wish Brown the best of luck in his future and hope one day he'll be a part of the Bears coaching staff.

I have to digress. Mike Brown was absolutely horrific last year in pass protection. He was still average at stopping the run but I think now is the right time to try and adjust. I don't believe the Bears have the in-house guys (Payne/Manning is not the right combination, imo, however it is possible that Tillman or Vasher is the right guy and that the squad will instead make a change at the CB position).

I do wish Brown the best of luck in his future and hope one day he'll be a part of the Bears coaching staff.

You may "digress" all you want, but you can't disagree with the fact that he was the best safety on the team last year. His skills have deteriorated, but he's still the best safety from the team last year. And when he was playing at the beginning of the year, he was playing fairly well. If the plan is to move Daniel Manning into that spot, then it's a mistake.

You may "digress" all you want, but you can't disagree with the fact that he was the best safety on the team last year. His skills have deteriorated, but he's still the best safety from the team last year. And when he was playing at the beginning of the year, he was playing fairly well. If the plan is to move Daniel Manning into that spot, then it's a mistake.

That might be true but you have to average in the time he was off the field with injuries as a zero. His net production drops when you do that and also the defense net production drops too because he takes away practice time from the guy who had to sub for him, or conversely he wasn't practicing. Part of being the best player is staying on the field. He's only getting older and those calf injuries are chronic, they are never going away.

That might be true but you have to average in the time he was off the field with injuries as a zero. His net production drops when you do that and also the defense net production drops too because he takes away practice time from the guy who had to sub for him, or conversely he wasn't practicing. Part of being the best player is staying on the field. He's only getting older and those calf injuries are chronic, they are never going away.

Mike Brown's salary this past season was pretty damn low. I think it was around the million $$$ range, plus incentives (which I doubt he reached).

Wouldn't it be worth it to pay him one million or so to be a back-up??? To hell with the practice time. I don't care how much Payne practices, he'll never be more then mediocre. And don't even get me started about D Manning who's sucked at safety for 3 consecutive years.

If we have a better option we're looking at, then that's fine. But right now the free agent safety market and the upcoming draft market for safeties is pretty damn thin. It's difficult to see a better option in sight.

Mike Brown's salary this past season was pretty damn low. I think it was around the million $$ range, plus incentives (which I doubt he reached).

Wouldn't it be worth it to pay him one million or so to be a back-up??? To hell with the practice time. I don't care how much Payne practices, he'll never be more then mediocre. And don't even get me started about D Manning who's sucked at safety for 3 consecutive years.

If we have a better option we're looking at, then that's fine. But right now the free agent safety market and the upcoming draft market for safeties is pretty damn thin. It's difficult to see a better option in sight.

Hard to see where the offseason will go at this point, but there's one thing I come back to. Last year, no team got as close to using up its cap space in its entirety than the Bears. They quite literally killed off every cent they could. If they're cutting Brown, they're going to fill that spot and they're going to use the dollars somewhere. They misfire sometimes, but they always make the effort.