Torry Holt Cut

ChileBear

Despite his disappointing 2008, the 10-year veteran is expected to draw interest as a possible No. 1 receiver from the Titans, Giants, and 49ers among others. Holt's home-state Panthers could also be an option.

It also should be noted that the Rams may now be looking at WR at the top of the second round, which would make it that much less likely that a good WR falls to us in the second. They may have a worse WR corps than us at this point, as there starters at this moment may very well be last year's rookies Donnie Avery and Keenan Burton. All the more reason to take a WR in the first.

Really? Would that include a firearms class?

All kidding aside...

Holt is 32 and his last 2 years' stats are:

2007 1,189 yds 7 td's

2008 796 yds 3 td's (on one of the worst team in the NFL)

2 year span 1,985 yds 10 tds, 62 yds a game, 1 td every 3 games

Harrison:

2007 247 yds 1td

2008 636 yds 5 tds (on one of the best teams in the NFL)

2 year span 883 yds 6 td's, 55 yds a game, 1 td every 5 games

Granted Harrison was injured. But isn't that the point? he's a 36 year old man that is obviously declining in skill...

Don't get me wrong, compared to the frauds we have, I'd take Harrison in a heartbeat! But, if given a choice, Holt is the way to go.

Sorry, as much as I like Holt I think the Bears would be better served to go for Marvin Harrison. Especially if they are looking for a "veteran presence".

I'm ready to be royally pissed. Holt is a perfect option for a team with a young QB, no WR's (although one or two have talent...Hester/Bennett) and some good TE's and a young RB. How can you not give him the money to come in and be our #1 while grooming some of the younger WR's (hopefully we still draft someone early too). I just don't see how you don't go after him, because his addition just makes the entire offense so much better. It helps Orton, it helps Forte, it helps all the other WR's and it helps our TE's. It is a no brainer.

Oh and the Bears have tons of cap room.

Perhaps the Bears have quietly contacted Holt's agent to inquire about his interest in the Bears and found out that we're on his second list? Look at the teams listed as being interested in him: Eagles, Giants, Titans. We can assume money is the main reason players sign but not always, sometimes it's a vet going to New England for a shot at a ring. Those three teams can still pay him well, maybe won't offer what we'd offer, but he'll get at least $3mil/yr and that's a lot of money. I wouldn't be surprised if he decided to at least inquire with his first choice in teams before he comes back to the second tier Bears. If JA knows this what is the point in coming out publicly stating we really want him? It won't serve the teams interests (nor player to be demoted) to be blown off like that in public.

I won't say anything bad about JA being an idiot for not looking at this guy, because none of us heard any peep that we were interested in Omiyale or Bullocks before they signed. Once Holt signs, and if not with us, THEN I will be pissed at JA for not being able to get a deal done with more than 20 million in cap space. Don't tell me he won't want to come here...pay him like a true #1 receiver and beat everyone else's offer and he will come here. Players look at contract size like respect...show him the respect and he will go anywhere. JA put us in this dismal position with 1 ok WR and a bunch of maybe's, has been's, and never-was', so it is up to him to get us out of it.

I completely agree...

Don't tell me he won't want to come here...pay him like a true #1 receiver and beat everyone else's offer and he will come here. Players look at contract size like respect...show him the respect and he will go anywhere. JA put us in this dismal position with 1 ok WR and a bunch of maybe's, has been's, and never-was', so it is up to him to get us out of it.

Torry Holt is reportedly out of the country on vacation and won't be visiting any teams soon.

Holt is expected to wait "at least a few days" before making the rounds. The Titans, having already attempted to trade for him, remain the most likely landing spot.

I"ve changed my stance, I want Jay Cutler and Holt and I'll be a very happy camper. Potential franchise QB's don't grow on trees and one is available and we are atop his list. I don't care if we had to give up two first round picks, I would be all over Cutler.

If, by some wierd happening, like the earth changes it's axis, and we would get Cutler, I could see Holt wanting to come here. But I jut don't see JA going for Cutler when we have so many holes that we've got to plug with the draft, now that we've been sitting on our butts in FA.