Earl Bennett is now the #2 starter

jason

I just read this blurb on PFW (which isn't to be confused with PFFFFFFFFT):

We hear second year Bears WR Earl Bennett, a third round disappointment who admitted that he struggled last season to learn the Bears' playbook, looked a lot more sure of himself running routes at the Bears' first minicamp this offseason. Heading into the draft, Bennett appears to have a tenuous hold on the No. 2 WR spot behind Devin Hester and ahead of Rashied Davis.

What do you want to bet that with the addition of Cutler, Bennett becomes not only a lock for the #2, but a breakout performer this year?

We hear second year Bears WR Earl Bennett, a third round disappointment who admitted that he struggled last season to learn the Bears' playbook, looked a lot more sure of himself running routes at the Bears' first minicamp this offseason. Heading into the draft, Bennett appears to have a tenuous hold on the No. 2 WR spot behind Devin Hester and ahead of Rashied Davis.

What do you want to bet that with the addition of Cutler, Bennett becomes not only a lock for the #2, but a breakout performer this year?

I think there is a great chance that he breaks out. Looking at his stats from college when they both were in Vandy, it looks like they really clicked.

true story.....my junior year at vandy, we started 4-0 and had bowl game aspirations. week 5 we lost a heartbreaker to Middle tennessee state, then lost our next 4 (LSU, georgia, south carolina, and florida, so that was understandable) ....then a 2 win kentucky team comes in to town and we need a win to move towards bowl eligibility....a brutal first half and we find ourselves down 34-10 at halftime.....in frustration i run down to the tunnel and boo cutler off the field and yell "we want nickson (who was the backup at the time)", he looked up at me and just shook his head....that was the last time i saw jay cutler on a football field, as i left the game....What does he do? Comes out in the second half and throws for 261 yards and 5 TDs all of them to earl Bennett. We still lost, but i can tell you this....If Cutler throws 5 TDs in one half to bennett again...i sure as hell won't miss it this time

true story.....my junior year at vandy, we started 4-0 and had bowl game aspirations. week 5 we lost a heartbreaker to Middle tennessee state, then lost our next 4 (LSU, georgia, south carolina, and florida, so that was understandable) ....then a 2 win kentucky team comes in to town and we need a win to move towards bowl eligibility....a brutal first half and we find ourselves down 34-10 at halftime.....in frustration i run down to the tunnel and boo cutler off the field and yell "we want nickson (who was the backup at the time)", he looked up at me and just shook his head....that was the last time i saw jay cutler on a football field, as i left the game....What does he do? Comes out in the second half and throws for 261 yards and 5 TDs all of them to earl Bennett. We still lost, but i can tell you this....If Cutler throws 5 TDs in one half to bennett again...i sure as hell won't miss it this time

Great story - thanks for sharing!!!!

Peace :dabears

I think it very very likely Bennett is smiling as big as can be. Having chemistry between QB and WR is big, and as Cutler is joining a new team, Bennett is the only receiver he actually has experience w/, regardless if that was in college.

Still, I will be interested to see what we do from this point about WR. Seriously, I do not believe Davis should even factor at WR. We have Hester and Bennett, but we just got ourselves a franchise QB. We now need to give him weapons.

I think we will likely see both a veteran FA and a draft pick added to the mix. No, I am not holding my breath for Holt. I think it is more likely to be someone like one of the two WRs from detroit (Furry, McDonald) or maybe Curry, or someone more along that level. Then in the draft, it sounds like the bears are looking for a bit of size and hands. Robiskie would be great, but I think he is gone by our pick in the 2nd, and I think we go D that regardless. Iglesias, Murphy, Barden, Massaquoi.

I'm thinking: Hester - Bennett - Furrey - Massaquoi - Davis. May not look great, but there is youth to develop, plus we have Olsen and Forte to catch as well.

All our WRs just got better. Bennett could turn into a star. Think about it from Cutlers point of view. You get to go play for the team you routed for growing up, your LT and favorite WR are now your teammates, and the Bear fans now love you. It has to create a atmosphere for many people to succeed in.

I think we can take up a pool here to try to get you a PSL...

I think we can take up a pool here to try to get you a PSL...

haha frankly..i dont regret it ...i was so pissed that team should have beaten MTSU and should have handled kentucky (hell we took florida to 2 OT in the swamp)...either way I got to see my bowl game this year

I think it very very likely Bennett is smiling as big as can be. Having chemistry between QB and WR is big, and as Cutler is joining a new team, Bennett is the only receiver he actually has experience w/, regardless if that was in college.

Still, I will be interested to see what we do from this point about WR. Seriously, I do not believe Davis should even factor at WR. We have Hester and Bennett, but we just got ourselves a franchise QB. We now need to give him weapons.

I think we will likely see both a veteran FA and a draft pick added to the mix. No, I am not holding my breath for Holt. I think it is more likely to be someone like one of the two WRs from detroit (Furry, McDonald) or maybe Curry, or someone more along that level. Then in the draft, it sounds like the bears are looking for a bit of size and hands. Robiskie would be great, but I think he is gone by our pick in the 2nd, and I think we go D that regardless. Iglesias, Murphy, Barden, Massaquoi.

I'm thinking: Hester - Bennett - Furrey - Massaquoi - Davis. May not look great, but there is youth to develop, plus we have Olsen and Forte to catch as well.

I'm not a Davis fan, I don't mind him at all as our 4th WR, but right now we have Hester and Bennett ahead of him and I'd like to get Holt and put him ahead of him as well. If you go with those three I'm very content. I will also admit that I think every WR has gotten quite a bit better today. No longer will they have to ask questions or deal with different QB's. They now have one QB (hopefully he doesn't get hurt or something) and will be able to really build chemistry. Hell, look around the NFL, did you guys notice how the Packers seemed to constantly develop WR's, same with the Niners constantly finding them with Young and the Broncos being able to find them pretty well with Elway, Colts with Manning, etc etc etc. I think its a trend that great QB's can make it far easier for WR's to develop and succeed. They might not be the only reason but I think there is a higher chance you are able to get the most out of your WR's if you have a legit QB and the Bears finally have that.

I'm so freakin excited.

Receiver Earl Bennett excited to reunite with Jay Cutler

By Vaughn McClure

Bears receiver Earl Bennett, back in school at Vanderbilt finishing up courses toward his degree, was in class Thursday when he got the call.

Jay Cutler was on the other line.

``I was surprised,'' Bennett said. ``I thought it was a joke.''

It wasn't.

Cutler informed Bennett, his former teammate at Vanderbilt, that the two would be teammates again in Chicago following a blockbuster trade between the Bears and Broncos.

``Jay just asked me if I was ready,'' Bennett said. ``He is going to be a great asset to our offense, and I think we're going to get things rolling. He is a great guy. He's going to do a great job for our organization.''

Not to mention how the addition of Cutler could help Bennett's progress. The third-round pick from last year struggled to catch on in his first season. Bennett admitted he had trouble digesting the playbook. Having a history with Cutler could calm his nerves.

``What people don't know is Jay is a very vocal leader,'' Bennett said. ``I remember an overtime game against Florida my freshman year. That was probably the most vocal I ever heard him.

``Jay joining us does give me a comfort zone. But at the same time, we still have to get on the same page. It's going to be a great process. Just knowing the things that we can do, it's going to be great.''

Bennett was asked if Cutler has been portrayed unfairly following the fallout in Denver.

``I don't think Jay's a crybaby. He's a competitor,'' Bennett said. ``He's always ready to play football. There's nothing wrong with being competitive.''

Yea, that is one of the biggest keys.

Why have we talked so much about WR? Because we had a WR who was pretty good, but needed to be surrounded by very good talent to suceed. Cutler si the sort of QB who makes WRs better, rather than being the sort who needs great WR to look good.

I'm not a Davis fan, I don't mind him at all as our 4th WR, but right now we have Hester and Bennett ahead of him and I'd like to get Holt and put him ahead of him as well. If you go with those three I'm very content. I will also admit that I think every WR has gotten quite a bit better today. No longer will they have to ask questions or deal with different QB's. They now have one QB (hopefully he doesn't get hurt or something) and will be able to really build chemistry. Hell, look around the NFL, did you guys notice how the Packers seemed to constantly develop WR's, same with the Niners constantly finding them with Young and the Broncos being able to find them pretty well with Elway, Colts with Manning, etc etc etc. I think its a trend that great QB's can make it far easier for WR's to develop and succeed. They might not be the only reason but I think there is a higher chance you are able to get the most out of your WR's if you have a legit QB and the Bears finally have that.

I'm so freakin excited.

May require you to change your sig.

Waiting to get pictures of Cutler daunting Bears gear...and I am waiting for jerseys to go on sale. On a sidenote, I'm starting to think that the Bears are going to take Murphy from Florida unless they ink a WR prior to the draft. Been hearing that the orgs #1 focus is finding a WR and they are apparently going to be trying the FA front. No idea if they'll consider Plax or Jones but they have apparently been in contact with Holt.

Yes. I think Earl Bennett is going to have a breakout year because Jay Cutler is now our quarterback! The two of them had chemistry together and I think Jay will be happy he'll have a receiver that he knows well to play with.

I won't say breakout year, but I think you'll see Bennett have a 600-750 yard season which is very freaking good for a 2nd year player. I think you'll see 700-800 out of Olsen depending on his useage and about 800 yards out of Hester. The key is if they get a guy like Holt, I think your also looking at another 900 yards or so.

Meh, take it for what it's worth at this time of year. Last year Bradley was our #1 & we were hearing great things about Davis

I won't say breakout year, but I think you'll see Bennett have a 600-750 yard season which is very freaking good for a 2nd year player. I think you'll see 700-800 out of Olsen depending on his useage and about 800 yards out of Hester. The key is if they get a guy like Holt, I think your also looking at another 900 yards or so.

I might even be more optimistic than that. The one year where Bennett and Cutler were on the same team, Bennett was a true freshman on a fairly lousy Vanderbilt team, going up against SEC defensive backs. He had 9 touchdowns and almost 900 yards receiving.

If you want to see why, check out

Bennett's running a slant, is double-covered, and hardly gets any separation. Cutler puts it absolutely on a rope between the two guys and right on Bennett's numbers. Touchdown.

I think Bennett could pretty easily top 750 yards with Cutler throwing to him again.

I am excited to see how this move helps Bennett. Further, I think this move makes Olsen a pro bowler.

Peace :dabears

Last year Cutler publicly put the word out there his wishes for the Broncos to draft Bennett whom instead drafted Eddie Royal who was sensatonal as a rookie. This will be interesting to follow what Royal does with Orton and Bennett can do reuniting with his college QB Cutler this year in Chicago!