Official 2009 NFL Draft Thread

DABEARSDABOMB

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I know why you trade down. My point is why do it for so little in return?

I don't know. They moved down, got a very athletic dlineman (a key in the cover 2 defense), than picked up a WR that many here would have been happy with at 49, and now also have this nice pick right here which could go to a starter or Duke or whomever else. Looks pretty good to me, imo.

On a sidenote, for those wanting Duke, don't the Bears currently have enough guards so to speak that we wouldn't go after a guy like Duke but would be more likely to take a guy that plays tackle who might fit in at tackle or worse case slides to guard? Or are we thinking that Beekman is the center in a year or two and Duke can slide in in a year and than Pace will eventually be gone and Omilaye plays elsewhere? I will say this, Robert Garza is a bad starter, but I just don't know if he'll really start.

I don't know. They moved down, got a very athletic dlineman (a key in the cover 2 defense), than picked up a WR that many here would have been happy with at 49, and now also have this nice pick right here which could go to a starter or Duke or whomever else. Looks pretty good to me, imo.

I completely agree... I love what Jerry has done today. DJ Moore is still there, I hope he takes him

Man, I am loving NYG's draft...

From NFL.Com

Pick Player Pos Ht Wt College

Round 1, Pick 29 (29) Hakeem Nicks WR 6'1" 212 North Carolina

Pick Analysis:The former Tar Heel is an outstanding receiver with all of the tools to be a No. 1 receiver as a pro. As a big, strong playmaker with outstanding hands, Nicks should fill in nicely for the departed Plaxico Burress in the Giants' receiving corps.

Round 2, Pick 13 (45) (From Saints) Clint Sintim OLB 6'3" 256 Virginia

Pick Analysis:The Giants continue to pick up quality football players regardless of position. Though Sintim was used as a 3-4 outside linebacker, the Giants' scheme flexibility will allow the former Cavalier to play to his strengths as an NFL player.

Round 2, Pick 28 (60) William Beatty OT 6'6" 307 Connecticut

Pick Analysis:The former Husky surprisingly falls to the Giants in the second round. Though the team doesn't have an immediate need at the position, Beatty gives the Giants a young, athletic offensive tackle prospect to develop for the future.

Round 3, Pick 21 (85) (From Eagles) Ramses Barden WR 6'6" 229 Cal Poly

Pick Analysis:The Giants pick up a big, physical receiver with outstanding talent and potential. Barden gives the team another tall receiver to potentially replace Plaxico Burress' production in the passing game.

Round 3, Pick 36 (100) (Compensatory selection) Travis Beckum TE 6'3" 243 Wisconsin

Pick Analysis:Beckum is strong and he was very productive in college. He should be able to fit in on special teams nicely. He has some experience playing linebacker and is a decent athlete. The Giants will have to find a role for him.

Round 4, Pick 29 (129) Andre Brown RB 6'0" 224 North Carolina State

Pick Analysis:Brown is a steal at this point in the draft. The Giants do a good job with picking their players. He really made a name for himself at the Senior Bowl and flashed outstanding skills. He's got receiving talent and gives the Giants a great replacement for Derrick Ward.