This is embarassing

butkusrules

Well if it makes you feel any better, Hub Arkush claims that Bill Cowher was the guy the Bears had inquired about.

Everyone is shooting down these rumors by Arkush. The guy is a f***.

Lovie is going nowhere. There's no way this organization is going to eat $11m over the next 2 years only to pay a Cowher type coach $10m per year for the next 4 years. Sorry to be Johnny Raincloud.

Also, Angelo got an extension last year IIRC. He isn't going anywhere either.

Lovie is going nowhere. There's no way this organization is going to eat $11m over the next 2 years only to pay a Cowher type coach $10m per year for the next 4 years. Sorry to be Johnny Raincloud.

I agree. Lovie will get the benefit of Url being out. If anyone gets the boot, it's going to be Turner picked as the scapegoat. We are going to be stuck with two more years of "no clue" Lovie.

Get it right. It's "Zombie Lovie."

I fear that you are right. Lovie will point to Urlacher being out. Bears will agree and keep him and the 11 million it would take to improve the coaching. The offensive lack of production for the 5th straight year under Turner will once again be overlooked. strike that. disregarded.

Lovie will stay. Bring in another O-cordinator, they will suck again. Lovie will get fired after the 2010 season. New coach will come in with a high pick, new scheme and eventually clean house. Thats my prediction.

I really, really hope you are wrong. I will go as far to say I am hoping the Bears lose the rest of the games this yr. That may be our only chance for Lovie go.

Peace :dabears

Hey, we can always bring back Wanny if you want some emotion on the sideline. How does that work for you? ;)

And Bill Cowher used to physically remind me of Wannstedt a little. It's a little depressing to think that losing the rest of our games wouldn't even get us better high round draft picks.

Lovie's defense made some solid, firey, plugged up the running lane and gang tackle plays even into the fourth quarter. It seemed like some of the time Lovie had them motivated. The O is more Ron Turner and isn't he a pretty emotional guy?

Mistakes, bad execution. For some reason the players just aren't playing up to their potential. Lovie took over a bad team and for a while there all we ever did was win (I remember winning something gaudy like 19 out of 21 games at one point), so I refuse to thoughtlessly throw Lovie to the wolves. But JA needs to have a plan and to evaluate whether Lovie seems to have and idea been done wrong and how to fix it, otherwise he's going to have to assume things won't change. That'll all be moot if JA is gone too. If Lovie goes this will be the second head coach in a row to get Coach of the Year only to end up not being a long term solution.

At a minimum we have average players on defense. Some IMO are good players (above average) and others might be below average but the sum is not below average in talent. Bottom line is that we should at least have an average defense yet we don't, we're one of the worst (if not the worst) defense in the NFL. We are heading downhill rapidly so if we aren't at the bottom we will likely finish there. You can't tell me this is all because Harris is not the same player, or that Url is out, or that Pisa is out. Pisa was competing with Roach to decide who started so that can't be a huge dropoff or the coaches were lying about Roach. I watch a lot of games and it's just a fact that other teams seem to have their players in the right spot more often than we do. The only thing left for me is that the players no longer have confidence in this scheme and why should they?

We do stupid sh** such as blitzing while having our CBs 10 yards off the LOS so QBs have immediate quick outlets and then WR have lots of free space to run. Has anyone else noticed that lately our CBs are playing well in man-to-man coverage, far better than we play in our drop back "here-take-10-yards" zone? Bowman in particular seems a lot more comfortable in man-to-man than he is in our zone.

Lovie came out after halftime and told the TV reporter that he was upset over the turnovers and that was killing our team. I laughed because he must be so busy calling defensive plays he missed how bad his defense was. I'm not happy about the INT in the endzone but damn that shouldn't kill your entire game. Unless your defense can't stop anybody and responds by giving up an 80 yard TD drive. INT's happen to lots of teams. Peyton Manning has thrown two picks in each of his last two games. He's still undefeated. Kurt Warner has thrown multiple picks in some Cards games yet they keep on fighting. He has less of an excuse than Cutler because he's throwing to the same Pro Bowl WRs as last year. Still they come back the next game and play hard.

Lovie has lost this team.

At a minimum we have average players on defense. Some IMO are good players (above average) and others might be below average but the sum is not below average in talent. Bottom line is that we should at least have an average defense yet we don't, we're one of the worst (if not the worst) defense in the NFL. We are heading downhill rapidly so if we aren't at the bottom we will likely finish there. You can't tell me this is all because Harris is not the same player, or that Url is out, or that Pisa is out. Pisa was competing with Roach to decide who started so that can't be a huge dropoff or the coaches were lying about Roach. I watch a lot of games and it's just a fact that other teams seem to have their players in the right spot more often than we do. The only thing left for me is that the players no longer have confidence in this scheme and why should they?

Where is our talent level? I don't know, and that can be argued all day, but what I will say is this. I have seen defenses w/ far less talent play better. Period.

We do stupid sh** such as blitzing while having our CBs 10 yards off the LOS so QBs have immediate quick outlets and then WR have lots of free space to run. Has anyone else noticed that lately our CBs are playing well in man-to-man coverage, far better than we play in our drop back "here-take-10-yards" zone? Bowman in particular seems a lot more comfortable in man-to-man than he is in our zone.

Agreed. And off what you are saying, I think a key issue is we force square pegs into round holes at times. Bowman has the skills to play man, yet we force him to play soft zones where he lack of experience burns him. I've been screaming about how our DBs play off the LOS, and today, I heard Aikman ranting and railing about that throughout the game. The other week, it was Collinsworth going on and on about it. It isn't just some dumb ass fans complaining about this. It isn't some crackpots in the media. It is former players, coaches, scouts, GMs, etc. Everyone seems to notice this but our staff.

Also, did you see/hear the play where Aikman made a big fuss about how we had Hunter playing over the line (LOS), only to have him drop deep after the snap. He couldn't get deep enough, quick enough, and thus a big play for Harvin over the deep middle. Again, yet another play Aikman points out and bashes which many here have screamed about for a couple years. Even when we had a more athletic MLB, asking him to start over the line, only to drop back 20 or 30 yards just didn't work. W/ Hunter. It's just stupid.

Lovie came out after halftime and told the TV reporter that he was upset over the turnovers and that was killing our team. I laughed because he must be so busy calling defensive plays he missed how bad his defense was. I'm not happy about the INT in the endzone but damn that shouldn't kill your entire game. Unless your defense can't stop anybody and responds by giving up an 80 yard TD drive. INT's happen to lots of teams. Peyton Manning has thrown two picks in each of his last two games. He's still undefeated. Kurt Warner has thrown multiple picks in some Cards games yet they keep on fighting. He has less of an excuse than Cutler because he's throwing to the same Pro Bowl WRs as last year. Still they come back the next game and play hard.

To their credit, announcers made the same observation, pointing out that anytime a defense does X, Y, Z so poorly, they need to be looked at and not just a couple turnovers.

Lovie has lost this team.

A long time ago.

I was absolute sick to my stomach while watching the Bears get pummeled by the vikes.

This game sums up all that is wrong with this team: coaching, schemes and play calling both offensively and defensively. What a sorry excuse for a coaching staff and football team. Not only do Lovie and Turner fail to put there players in a position to be successful but they absolutely made no adjustments in the second half. With the season and hopefully his job on the line; why not go for it on forth and short late in the 3rd or maybe try a fake punt instead punting the ball back to the Favre who was absolutely carving up Lovie’s Defense? Instead Blankman (coach Smith) decides to concede the loss without a fight. By the way Zombie Lovie does not rhyme nor does it even sound good together even though it very well describes his sideline demeanor. I am going to call him Blankman http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blankman

I did observe some of the players are still playing hard out there due to pride alone as we all know Blankman has lost this team. The fans deserve better and it is time to bring in someone who actually can build a perennial contender ala New England and Indy. The Bears should seriously consider doing what Buffalo did and fire there HC mid season not only to send a message and provide direction but because this current coaching staff is going to get someone seriously injured with what is going on out there especially on offense.

Hey, we can always bring back Wanny if you want some emotion on the sideline. How does that work for you? ;)

Let's get some coaching in here that holds the players accountable and can put a winner on the field.

Peace :dabears

Ahhh...why do you torment me? Wanny's emotion was the equivalent of a hyper infant throwing a fit because he can't stop something from happening. The only difference is, the infant would have a bushy molestache.

And Bill Cowher used to physically remind me of Wannstedt a little. It's a little depressing to think that losing the rest of our games wouldn't even get us better high round draft picks.

Lovie's defense made some solid, firey, plugged up the running lane and gang tackle plays even into the fourth quarter. It seemed like some of the time Lovie had them motivated. The O is more Ron Turner and isn't he a pretty emotional guy?

Mistakes, bad execution. For some reason the players just aren't playing up to their potential. Lovie took over a bad team and for a while there all we ever did was win (I remember winning something gaudy like 19 out of 21 games at one point), so I refuse to thoughtlessly throw Lovie to the wolves. But JA needs to have a plan and to evaluate whether Lovie seems to have and idea been done wrong and how to fix it, otherwise he's going to have to assume things won't change. That'll all be moot if JA is gone too. If Lovie goes this will be the second head coach in a row to get Coach of the Year only to end up not being a long term solution.

Regarding the final comment, there is no way in hell Jauron should have won that award. Many on this board, myself included, didn't think he should have won it, and didn't want him to win it. It was all smoke and mirrors, and the Bears won because that defense was NASTY. Jauron, much like Shoop, hindered the team more than helping it. The coach of the year award that year proved to me that the voters don't actually watch the games, and only look at the stats and highlight reels.

While you can question Jauron, at the same time, the team he was HC of:

- Went from a 5 win season to a 13 win season. Anytime this happens, no matter how it happens, that HC is going to get major consideration for coach of the year.

- Defense was not just good, but outstanding. I think additional credit likely went to Jauron as he was a defensive background coach and our team's D was so great that year.

- While the D was great, don't totally take away from the offense. We were not only solid running the ball, but had the offensive rookie of the year in A-Train. We also had a 1,000+ receiver, which is not a norm in Chicago.

Offense was far from great, but they were actually pretty solid. We scored 20 or more in 10 of our 16 games, and had 3 over 30. Our offense was able to win the TOP battle, and while the D often set them up, they were able to capatolize. No question that team was all about the D, but at the same time, it isn't like the O was totally absent. Frankly, in a way it was similar to the '85 team. If you go back and look, we won in 85 due to defense first, and a ground based attack on offense. In fact, we scored more through the air in 2001 than we did in '85.

Many of us did not want Jauron to win the award as we knew we would then be forced to extend him, and as great of a year as that was, we knew Jauron was not a great coach and wanted a change. At the same time, I would say he very much did deserve that award.

Regarding the final comment, there is no way in hell Jauron should have won that award. Many on this board, myself included, didn't think he should have won it, and didn't want him to win it. It was all smoke and mirrors, and the Bears won because that defense was NASTY. Jauron, much like Shoop, hindered the team more than helping it. The coach of the year award that year proved to me that the voters don't actually watch the games, and only look at the stats and highlight reels.

While I am all for sending a message, the problem is, who would we elevate if we canned Smith? If Rivera were the DC, then I could see it, but is there really a point in firing Lovie if you are only going to promote: Turner, who deserves to be fired as much as Lovie, Babich, who should not even have a job or Marinelli, Mr. 0-16 himself?

Something that disgusted me was how we played Jared Allen, and that goes directly toward the coaching, and is indicative of the problem. How many times during the game did Aikman question our trying to block Allen one on one? He talked about how Allen is the sort of player teams game plan for, and most every team in the league uses a RB to chip block him. Rare do you see a team put their LT on an island against him, but that is not only what we did w/ our pathetic Pace, but we never altered this plan when Allen was destroying Pace. I couldn't believe it, but more important, Aikman couldn't believe it.

I was absolute sick to my stomach while watching the Bears get pummeled by the vikes.

This game sums up all that is wrong with this team: coaching, schemes and play calling both offensively and defensively. What a sorry excuse for a coaching staff and football team. Not only do Lovie and Turner fail to put there players in a position to be successful but they absolutely made no adjustments in the second half. With the season and hopefully his job on the line; why not go for it on forth and short late in the 3rd or maybe try a fake punt instead punting the ball back to the Favre who was absolutely carving up Lovie’s Defense? Instead Blankman (coach Smith) decides to concede the loss without a fight. By the way Zombie Lovie does not rhyme nor does it even sound good together even though it very well describes his sideline demeanor. I am going to call him Blankman http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blankman

I did observe some of the players are still playing hard out there due to pride alone as we all know Blankman has lost this team. The fans deserve better and it is time to bring in someone who actually can build a perennial contender ala New England and Indy. The Bears should seriously consider doing what Buffalo did and fire there HC mid season not only to send a message and provide direction but because this current coaching staff is going to get someone seriously injured with what is going on out there especially on offense.

Exactly. I remember the year we won the Super Bowl and he was due an extension, many in the media, and on this board, were carrying on about why the Bears were not rushing to re-sign him....now we are stuck with him.

Lovie will stay. Bring in another O-cordinator, they will suck again. Lovie will get fired after the 2010 season. New coach will come in with a high pick, new scheme and eventually clean house. Thats my prediction.

The Bears are way too cheap to eat 11 million. They also would never hire a new head coach that would require $10 mil/season such as Cowher. If look at all of their recent hirerings: all were defensive coordinators and were cheap. The last time somebody got it right was Papa Bear Halas. He fired Neill Armstrong when he was 86 years old to bring in Coach Ditka. Speaking of which Mike Imrem has a facinating article about that story and how he relates it to the Lovie Smith situation here. . . Its a Must Read!