Mike Martz Becomes Bears OC

AtHomeBoy_2000

Let's hope Cutler survives longer than Bulger and Cutler.

Think you mean Bulger and Warner but this is my biggest concern about bringing in Martz. Our Line has had trouble protecting for a 2 or 3 step drop. Martz like complex deep routes. He could get Jay killed. The other thing is the complexity of his system when we have much inexperience at the WR position. Bennet will be effectively a second year WR, Knox will be a 2nd year guy, Hester is still learning the position, Iglacias will be like a rookie, DA while showed great promise doesn't have a lot of experience. In the dumbed down repetitive Turner system we had WRs running incorrect routes and making other fundamental errors what reason do I have to think they can handle a much more complex system like Martz runs. Martz hasn't shown much flexibility to taylor his system to the talent but force the players into his system. I've seen that movie before. Martz has a rep for ignoring the TE, and the run game, using the RB as another wr.

Martz is the last guy I wanted but... But Lovie gets what he wants and hires his buddies.

I'm excited. I don't know if it will work, but he's got a hell of a resume and knows offense. He is also well respected and I think he could do some good things for Cutler. Plus, he'll be the best QB (talent wise) that Martz has ever had (Warner is the best he's ever worked with though).

Forte has a pretty nice combo skill-set so I think you could call him a poor man Marshall Faulk and he's got some TE's that he never had before (Olsen/Clark). I spose Vernon Davis was a talent but when Martz was in San Fran Davis apparently didn't have the greatest work ethic.

I'm really gonna laugh when lovie is stupid enough to spout out his usual B.S. and say we are a team that gets off the bus running. B/c lets face it we all know with martz on board what kind of pass happy offense he brings. I wonder how long it will take for lovie to spout his bus and runnning line out b/c I can't wait to laugh my ass off and he's stupid enough to say it.

I'm really gonna laugh when lovie is stupid enough to spout out his usual B.S. and say we are a team that gets off the bus running. B/c lets face it we all know with martz on board what kind of pass happy offense he brings. I wonder how long it will take for lovie to spout his bus and runnning line out b/c I can't wait to laugh my ass off and he's stupid enough to say it.

Great point. With this hire, Lovie can saw "we got the man I wanted the entire time" but he had better not saw that we are a run first team.

There are 100+ coaches I would pick before Martz. Including Shoop. I'm serious. Besides keeping Lovie, this is the 2nd worst move in the last 5 years. :drink Here's to the mad genius gaining some balance in his master plan.

Shoop, you have to be joking?

Look at it this way, our offense is going to be kick ass and we will win our division (which is what we all want) OR we will flop again and we will get a new HC (which is what most of us want).

Look at it this way, our offense is going to be kick ass and we will win our division (which is what we all want) OR we will flop again and we will get a new HC (which is what most of us want).

Pixote is right, this is a win/win situation. We either win or we suck so bad and everyone gets canned and then we get what most on here having hoping for a complete housecleaning. Unless that is of course, you are not a Bears fan really and just hope we always lose. Which there are a few on here that I wonder about sometimes. But I have more dignity and will keep those names to myself instead of doing what most people like to do and "air dirty laundry"

Call it the apex of sarcasm.

I like that you see the bright side of the matter. I just don't see much victory in sucking next season. ...making our QB shell shocked for the rest of his carreer...

Call it the apex of sarcasm.

I like that you see the bright side of the matter. I just don't see much victory in sucking next season. ...making our QB shell shocked for the rest of his carreer...

.........or throwing for 4500 yds, 40 TDs and 5 INTs :rolleyes:

yep its a win-win situation with Martz. Cutler and our recievers are going to love this guy- our defense is going HATE this guy. Since we no longer have that top ranked defense, you might as well go into a high powered offensive system and attempt to win as many shootouts as you can. If it fails- so long Lovey and so long angelo and let the Cowher era begin!

Exactly. Boom or bust - just like a said last week.

Peace :dabears

I think this is going to be an interesting experiment. The Bears' biggest need in my mind coming into this offseason was a bigger, run-blocking RT. In this offense, that may be less of an issue; pass blocking comes back to the forefront. On the LT side, that's what Williams is supposed to be good at; he's not a big bruiser, he's a technique, pass-blocking kind of guy. In that sense, the Martz offense might be playing somewhat to the Bears' strength. On top of that, they've got RB's who aren't bad coming out of the backfield in receiving routes (Forte in particular, possibly Wolfe if he still hangs around). And they have receivers who can be major deep threats because they have some serious speed in Hester and Knox.

Furthermore, the Bears went out and spent what is basically an NFL fortune bringing in a QB with a shotgun for an arm. But at the same time last year, they weren't able/willing to use it effectively except for in a handful of games.

There's the TE questions and the rest of the O-Line questions and the "Can the WR's learn the system" questions, but it's an interesting experiment on paper at least.

It's called the "ole" system. I read we were looking at bringing Pace back in as an assistant OL coach to help teach this technique and then realized our OL are already well experienced in such a system.

Anyone know what kind of run blocking scheme we'll be using with Martz system?

Wouldn't that be of a question about Tice instead of Martz? I am pretty sure, from what I have seen, Tice has them fire out, old school smash mouth football. None of this pansy step in the bucket routine, not the "zone" blocking routine, just plain and simple get in your face and get ugly. I sure hope I am right because that is the way I played OT when I was a young'n and that is what I would like to see happen. Slobberknocker football. Pancakes anyone???

Exactly what I was going to say. Replacing Turner with Shoop would have been a MAJOR downgrade. Replacing Turner with Martz is an inarguable upgrade. It may not be the ideal upgrade for the players the Bears have, but there is no denying it's an upgrade.