So far Barber

GrizzlyBear

Whoa have never seen a back carry players like that except for Walter. Marion living up to nickname.

I do have to point out that he was running behind our 1st string offense against a 2nd string defense. That being said, he looked awesome. Especially after Chester Taylor did absolutely nothing.

More importantly they keep talking about his great blocking.

Chester needs to be cut. Khalil Bell looks pretty good so far as well. I'd take him as our 3rd back over Chester. Barber is for sure going to be #2.

Agree....and you have to consider long term. As much as I like Taylor, like Barber MUCH more. Especially given that he is a true "change of pace" back. Taylor doesn't have "it" anymore unfortunately. Bell appears, for all intents and purposes, to be more of a Forte type back. Built similar and similar running style (from what I recall two years ago). Not sure of his pass catching but believe that could come along (doesn't UCLA run a version of West Coast?). Regardless, a player like Bell who has tons of upside needs to stay with the team. I know that the Bears will eat what they put out there for Taylor but perhaps some sort of trade can be salvaged....5th or 6th????

And who knows? Maybe Bell / Unga could be the eventual Forte / Barber?

I would like to hear some of those posters "who doesn't rate Barber" or others "who have been watching the friends fantasy team" to chime in. Anyone?

I would be one who hasn't rated him but I'll wait till he's not running behind 1's against 2's if thats allright with you.

he had a nice game lets see if he can do it against first string D's

hmmm just reading some articles & apparently the Bills first D was still in so I was wrong on that(hard to tell with stream I had) but still i'll wait for more than 1 game to overly praise him

I would be one who hasn't rated him but I'll wait till he's not running behind 1's against 2's if thats allright with you.

hmmm just reading some articles & apparently the Bills first D was still in so I was wrong on that(hard to tell with stream I had) but still i'll wait for more than 1 game to overly praise him

All you can do, is look good when you get the chance. They both passed the first trip out. Did Taylor play? I didnt hear his name. Might as well keep Taylor until the end of the preseason in case some one gets hurt. Then cut him. I think all the money for him was paid upfront, so it wont cost anything to cut him.

Not sure I ever heard any "poster" rating Barber anything but good potential GL back w/ some concerns at worst... The Bears never let Payton walk. Amazing RB's seldom get cut. One's that do, deserve some scrutiny? And basing any true test of a any players' worth on one pre-season game isn't exactly the best way to go about that. I think it's awesome he looked good, but I'd like to see more.

I get a kick how so many "posters" love calling out random "posters"... Name names. I can't speak for others, but my feeling never get hurt if someone disagrees with me. If you have issue with someone's post, by all means, call them out. It makes discussion and banter more interesting.

I would like to hear some of those posters "who doesn't rate Barber" or others "who have been watching the friends fantasy team" to chime in. Anyone?

I do have to point out that he was running behind our 1st string offense against a 2nd string defense. That being said, he looked awesome. Especially after Chester Taylor did absolutely nothing.

More importantly they keep talking about his great blocking.

Isn't running behind our first string line like running behind most teams second or third string line?

When did we get a 1st string Oline?

If you look at tape of the game, Marion was running against 1's , Chester was in for 3 plays, thats it.

Sounds like a good policy to me! Too many NFL guys could use the same discipline considering the volume of sheer stupidity that usually emits from their pie holes and twitter fingers...

I heard Barber took a couple of questions yesterday about his performance on Saturday and after the interview he said "That's it for the rest of the year." I didn't know he hardly ever talked to the media. Does anybody know why?

I heard Barber took a couple of questions yesterday about his performance on Saturday and after the interview he said "That's it for the rest of the year." I didn't know he hardly ever talked to the media. Does anybody know why?

Could be because the media is full to the brim with spineless, shit-stirring, yellow journalists who think their "talent" is to be admired alongside the athletes, and they are the reason we turn into sports highlight shows. If I were a professional athlete, all my interviews would be like a player (can't remember who) did a few years ago.

Q1: Blah blah blah.

A1: One game at a time.

Q2: Blah blah blah

A2: One game at a time.

And so on.

Ever wonder why Marion Barber, one of the best running backs in the league, never, ever does an interview? I'll be honest, the thought never crossed my mind until the Dallas Morning News' Barry Horn brought it up yesterday, but that might be because I'm busily fighting the urge to stab myself in the earballs with a spork after being exposed to Tony Kornheiser and Emmitt Smith.

For those of you who are curious about Barber's silence, it's pretty simple, actually: he doesn't want to say anything that might be misconstrued. Perfectly reasonable, and advice more players could stand to heed. In any event, Horn asked former Cowboys quarterback-turned-Fox analyst Troy Aikman about it:

"He's a nice guy. He's just so shy and worried that he may say something that will come out wrong or be taken out of context. ... It's kind of a shame. He is such a quality guy. I believe that if a player doesn't talk to the media that at the end of the day, it hurts the player more than it hurts the media...

I wish he would let people see him as the mild-mannered, bright guy he is...I'll tell you this: He is one of those guys I would have loved to have played with. He's as unselfish and as good a teammates as they come."

Link

Could be because the media is full to the brim with spineless, shit-stirring, yellow journalists who think their "talent" is to be admired alongside the athletes, and they are the reason we turn into sports highlight shows. If I were a professional athlete, all my interviews would be like a player (can't remember who) did a few years ago.

Q1: Blah blah blah.

A1: One game at a time.

Q2: Blah blah blah

A2: One game at a time.

And so on.

Wow. You have such a positive view of the press. ;) I know there are a-holes out there (Mariotti, Bayless, etc) but, for the most part, I think the guys/ladies covering Chicago sports do a good job.

I have been a sports editor for a year and I will tell you I am glad I deal with high school level athletes and coaches the majority of the time. I can't imagine what it would be like to interview someone who thinks their shit doesn't stink and treats people like garbage. I would assume most professional athletes are not that way but I am not sure what I would do if I came across someone like Tony LaRussa for example. He treats the media like dirt.

I think people need to simply treat each other respect and that goes both ways.

Peace :dabears