Roy Williams to loose job?

GrizzlyBear

I can't put my finger on him. One minute he says all the right things, the next he is saying dumb stuff like, "I didn't have any drops in the game". If I'm a player trying to rebuild my career, I'm in shape coming into camp. His comments on conditioning amazed me too. Like, "you get into shape by going hard for 4 seconds and jogging back to the huddle". That's total BS. You learn that in middle school football. I'm rooting for him, but my optimism is wearing out.

I too am glad to see and hope that they stick to their guns on the best player playing. If that's Roy, great start him, it's Knox great start him. I think what a lot of us are worried about since signing of R. Williams he's given reasons to not be hopeful both in preparation and performance. What worries us is that he'd be given the top spot regardless because of who he is and his connection in the past to Drake and Martz. But if he's slacking and not performing well, and Knox who put up good numbers last season is out playing him in practice and preseason then Knox should start. So far the staff has given lip service to the idea of the best man plays. I hope they keep their word on that.

LOL - You know, I personally was shocked earlier in the off season at the lack of love for Knox, I personally thought he did alright for himself last year and was developing into a damn good WR. Yet to hear posters on the forum, he sucked and did not even deserve a roster spot.

I guess it takes a strong dislike for R Williams to swing things around. Now people seem to like Knox a lot more as they dislike Williams and want to see Knox take over the starting role. Sorry, but I kind of find this humorous and a bit ironic.

LOL - You know, I personally was shocked earlier in the off season at the lack of love for Knox, I personally thought he did alright for himself last year and was developing into a damn good WR. Yet to hear posters on the forum, he sucked and did not even deserve a roster spot.

I guess it takes a strong dislike for R Williams to swing things around. Now people seem to like Knox a lot more as they dislike Williams and want to see Knox take over the starting role. Sorry, but I kind of find this humorous and a bit ironic.

You know that wasn't me, Pix. I thought the WRs were just fine before Roy Williams. It's just a matter of having a system and complimentary pieces that allow for the skill position players to actually, ya know, use their skills.

You know that wasn't me, Pix. I thought the WRs were just fine before Roy Williams. It's just a matter of having a system and complimentary pieces that allow for the skill position players to actually, ya know, use their skills.

Knox was in my starting line-up as WR3 each and every week last year in fantasy football. And I made it all the way to our superbowl where I lost, once again. But I'll be a fan of Knox until he proves to me I shouldn't be. All the guy has done is kick ass and take names. If our damn O Line could give Cutler time in his 7 step drops, we'd have guys open deep all over the f*cking field.

Knox was in my starting line-up as WR3 each and every week last year in fantasy football. And I made it all the way to our superbowl where I lost, once again. But I'll be a fan of Knox until he proves to me I shouldn't be. All the guy has done is kick ass and take names. If our damn O Line could give Cutler time in his 7 step drops, we'd have guys open deep all over the f*cking field.

Agreed. :cheers

And then most of the Martz flaws would be forgotten because Cutler would have 4000+ yards and DBs all over the NFC North would have nightmares about covering guys like Hester and Knox for more than 2 second routes.

Should have gotten more serious about signing Sidney Rice and not let Mike Martz continue to dictate who we sign on offense.

Is the word "serious" there a euphemism for throwing ridiculous money on an unreliable player? One with only 1 good season out of four in the league with a history of injuries? (His hip injury was microfracture surgery - hardly a proven procedure)

Don't get me wrong, if all things were equal and I was given a choice between Rice and Williams on a 1 year contract with only 1.5 million in salary, I would pick Rice. With a choice between them and giving that choice a 5 year $41 million contract with $18.5 million guaranteed, I choose neither.

I contend it should have been Burress....

He didn't cost the Jets much.

In response to the Knox love...I like Johnny. But, let not pretend that he doesn't have his flaws. He was the reason for a good number of turnovers. But given his youth, I think he can turn into a very valuable receiver. I just felt that Jay needed some help since it's been apparent that he didn't get much on the OL.

Is the word "serious" there a euphemism for throwing ridiculous money on an unreliable player? One with only 1 good season out of four in the league with a history of injuries? (His hip injury was microfracture surgery - hardly a proven procedure)

Don't get me wrong, if all things were equal and I was given a choice between Rice and Williams on a 1 year contract with only 1.5 million in salary, I would pick Rice. With a choice between them and giving that choice a 5 year $41 million contract with $18.5 million guaranteed, I choose neither.

I contend it should have been Burress....

He didn't cost the Jets much.

In response to the Knox love...I like Johnny. But, let not pretend that he doesn't have his flaws. He was the reason for a good number of turnovers. But given his youth, I think he can turn into a very valuable receiver. I just felt that Jay needed some help since it's been apparent that he didn't get much on the OL.

Plaxico would be interesting. Although I don't see a Martz offense as his first choice for a comeback at all. In fact, I see the Jets as his dream opportunity with Rex Ryan as coach. I'm actually pretty sure that if we'd shown interest that he would have taken less money to go to the Jets anyway.

I have no issue with signing Roy for that one year deal. Cheap and no commitment needed. No issues with Knox getting some tough love either. It was done early in camp when Knox still had time to fix things and earn his spot back. Knox is doing that, and Roy isn't. The Bears never said Knox was completely out of the picture.

I generally agree.

He could have been had though I think.

Plaxico would be interesting. Although I don't see a Martz offense as his first choice for a comeback at all. In fact, I see the Jets as his dream opportunity with Rex Ryan as coach. I'm actually pretty sure that if we'd shown interest that he would have taken less money to go to the Jets anyway.

Sidney Rice's contract isn't huge, it's actually a fair value. And lets not pretend like the Bears didn't have the money to spend. They had the 3rd most out of all teams this offseason and chose to spent it on projects and still had 19 mil or so left over.

Sidney Rice's contract isn't huge, it's actually a fair value. And lets not pretend like the Bears didn't have the money to spend. They had the 3rd most out of all teams this offseason and chose to spent it on projects and still had 19 mil or so left over.

I really didn't have a problem with the total dollars, but I wouldn't possibly give a guy with his injury history more than $10 million guaranteed.

I also question how quickly he could pick up the offense in a condensed offseason.

Not interested. I would have rather we spent money upgrading the o-line.

Peace :dabears

Well Pix, I would say that I was one of those not all that greatly impressed with Knox. Up until now....maybe now he's getting "the picture". Like Mad Lith points out in his post, Knox did cause many of the turnovers that Jay got credited with. There is no denying it... Stopped short on routes and didn't fight for the ball to name a few. However, given that he is young and "developing" I see the upside in him. I was a little disenchanted with Knox earlier this pre-season when he was supplanted and "rumored" to have been outwardly upset about Williams getting the starting nod. He may have complained at first but since then has let actions speak louder. If for nothing else, Williams was a good catalyst to get Knox to bring up his game a bit. So I would fall short in saying "he sucked and didn't deserve a rostser spot". I believe that he is at least capable of the #2. But really what does that mean? He lines up WITH THE STARTING O just not on the #1 route. So what? It's not like he didn't get bumped to #3 or 4 (like Bennett who is a MUCH more realiable receiver...just not fast).

And speaking for Plaxico, of he and Williams I would have rather had Burress. As was mentioned he could of had been for less both in money and attitude. I think Plax is going to have a good (probably not great) year. He will be a consistent and reliable WR for Sanchez. That and he will want to prove himself.

I like your post Alaska!

I didn't think of bringing in Roy as a catalyst for Knox's improvement. You really could be onto something there. Sometimes a guy needs a kick in the ass...maybe annointing Roy is just that? Johnny really has been exemplary in how he's handled everything so far. Kudos to the young man. Hopefully he can step it up.

Well Pix, I would say that I was one of those not all that greatly impressed with Knox. Up until now....maybe now he's getting "the picture". Like Mad Lith points out in his post, Knox did cause many of the turnovers that Jay got credited with. There is no denying it... Stopped short on routes and didn't fight for the ball to name a few. However, given that he is young and "developing" I see the upside in him. I was a little disenchanted with Knox earlier this pre-season when he was supplanted and "rumored" to have been outwardly upset about Williams getting the starting nod. He may have complained at first but since then has let actions speak louder. If for nothing else, Williams was a good catalyst to get Knox to bring up his game a bit. So I would fall short in saying "he sucked and didn't deserve a rostser spot". I believe that he is at least capable of the #2. But really what does that mean? He lines up WITH THE STARTING O just not on the #1 route. So what? It's not like he didn't get bumped to #3 or 4 (like Bennett who is a MUCH more realiable receiver...just not fast).

And speaking for Plaxico, of he and Williams I would have rather had Burress. As was mentioned he could of had been for less both in money and attitude. I think Plax is going to have a good (probably not great) year. He will be a consistent and reliable WR for Sanchez. That and he will want to prove himself.

I am not sure if he was any more responsible for some of the mess that occurred last year than others as well. Hester screwed the pooch many times for sure. Hester makes one good play then blows two after, ugh... I agree, Bennett seemed to pick up the offense a lot quicker.

Really, think about it, all of these receivers are young, just getting to the point in their careers where most new players begin to excel (3rd year) and to me it is kind of exciting. Converting to Martz system is a bitch and for the most part I think these "peach fuzz" WRs did ok for themselves. This will be the true test, this year there are no excuses that can be accepted. Now is the time to kick ass or get your ass kicked.

:dabears

I am not sure if he was any more responsible for some of the mess that occurred last year than others as well. Hester screwed the pooch many times for sure. Hester makes one good play then blows two after, ugh... I agree, Bennett seemed to pick up the offense a lot quicker.

Really, think about it, all of these receivers are young, just getting to the point in their careers where most new players begin to excel (3rd year) and to me it is kind of exciting. Converting to Martz system is a bitch and for the most part I think these "peach fuzz" WRs did ok for themselves. This will be the true test, this year there are no excuses that can be excepted. Now is the time to kick ass or get your ass kicked.

Really, think about it, all of these receivers are young, just getting to the point in their careers where most new players begin to excel (3rd year) and to me it is kind of exciting. Converting to Martz system is a bitch and for the most part I think these "peach fuzz" WRs did ok for themselves. This will be the true test, this year there are no excuses that can be accepted. Now is the time to kick ass or get your ass kicked.

Okay Pix you are starting to get me pumped!

As for all of you who wish the Bears had gone after Plaxico Burress. Come on man! This team doesn't and will not sign FAs with checkered pasts. If he was a draft eligible player thats different because JA drafts those type of guys at times. Dusty Dvoracek,Tank Johnson and Marcos Harrison to name 3.Lets go all the way back to James Maness who played back on the Ditka led Bears a WR with speed that was rumored to have a drug problem.Rumor has it that he was so strung out that the players " narced" on him. When Paul Grasmanis had his domestic dispute with a girlfriend he was cut immediately. This team will never tolerate that kind of behavior and after getting rid of Tank Johnson because of his many gun violations the would look very hippocitical if they signed Burress.

I like your post Alaska!

I didn't think of bringing in Roy as a catalyst for Knox's improvement. You really could be onto something there. Sometimes a guy needs a kick in the ass...maybe annointing Roy is just that? Johnny really has been exemplary in how he's handled everything so far. Kudos to the young man. Hopefully he can step it up.

OMG Mad!!! your actually giving Lovie, Martz and Drake credit for motivating a reciever? OMG, OMG OMG!!!