Briggs wants new contract

flea

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post...ars-about-raise

Pardon my french but F**k off Lance. While I'm not on to say you signed your deal stick to your word (the teams don't) theres 3 years left on his deal & if anyone gets sorted after Forte it sure as hell better be Bennett

Didn't he just sign a deal? I can see wanting to cash n while you can, but how many contract do-overs is reasonable? He's an excellent LB, but it is appearing that greed is more a priority than fullfilling your commitments.

Didn't he just sign a deal? I can see wanting to cash n while you can, but how many contract do-overs is reasonable? He's an excellent LB, but it is appearing that greed is more a priority than fullfilling your commitments.

Right about now wouldv'e been nice to have someone like Taylor Mays around.... :lol:

But heck...if he does anything like CJ in Tennesse is doing.... I say do like the Tennessee owner and tell him we aren't playing his games. But actually mean it. Then I would say, so long Lance. It's been good. Good luck in finding another Urlacher to carry you.

I still remember all the antics of a few years ago when he didn't get what he wanted and was made the franchise player, he was very immature and disrespectful towards the Bears organisation. Then on top of it, he crashes his Lambo on the Dan Ryan, phones the police and reports it stolen, and somehow manages to get away with it!

I would be happy to see him gone, as good a player as he is....

I just want to make sure you were all as pissed at Urlacher when he was looking for more money with 4 years left on his deal.

Peace :dabears

I was pissed at that as well but the point is when we tagged Briggs as franschise, he didn't HAVE TO sign that multi-year deal. Now on the flip side, who knows what JA told him in the negotiations. JA could've said "we'll revisit this for a raise and extension after X-amount of years". Who knows, but this is not the time to bring it up. We have 1 contract dispute already (Forte) which I pray gets resolved. We don't need another 2 weeks away from the season kickoff. Just bad timing IMO. He could've brought this up in the offseason or wait for the next one. I think he knows the cap space and wants a bigger slice of the pie. Can't blame him for wanting to get richer, but the timing is piss-poor.

What I thought I heard was that his position is that if after this season they don't rework his contract he will ask for a trade.

Urlacher was seeking one more year and some additional up front guaranteed money in the form of a signing bonus if memory serves correct. I don't recall Urlacher laying down an ultimatum of you do it or else I demand a trade. For Briggs this isn't the first time he's he's tried to to force a deal for more money. it does strike me as a player who is doing this mostly out of greed. I think he's being really childish about this. As good as he is it sure helps him to have #54 next to him. It's hard for me to sympathize with millionaires crying because they want more when they make more in one season than most of us will see our entire working life. So my take is shut up and play.

Nope. Urlacher is better than Briggs and is the face of the franchise.

Also, Briggs just got a new deal to too long ago... It's simply not quite apples to apples.

I just want to make sure you were all as pissed at Urlacher when he was looking for more money with 4 years left on his deal.

Nope. Urlacher is better than Briggs and is the face of the franchise.

Also, Briggs just got a new deal to too long ago... It's simply not quite apples to apples.

Briggs has played 3 years of his 6 year deal. I believe Url had played 4 of his 8 when he wanted more money. I see no real difference. Yes, Url is a better player but not by much. I am not saying this is a good time for this or that he deserves more money. I am simply saying there is no difference between the 2 situations in my opinion.

I guess I just plain disagree and don't think you can compare the 2. Playing on 4 years is longer than 3... Urlacher is just simply much much better than Briggs. He's bound for the HoF, Briggs is not. He's Wilbur to Urlacher being Singletary. Comparatively speaking.

Briggs has played 3 years of his 6 year deal. I believe Url had played 4 of his 8 when he wanted more money. I see no real difference. Yes, Url is a better player but not by much. I am not saying this is a good time for this or that he deserves more money. I am simply saying there is no difference between the 2 situations in my opinion.

I guess I just plain disagree and don't think you can compare the 2. Playing on 4 years is longer than 3... Urlacher is just simply much much better than Briggs. He's bound for the HoF, Briggs is not. He's Wilbur to Urlacher being Singletary. Comparatively speaking.

They each played half of their deal. I agree Url is a fringe HOF. He won't get in right away but will eventually. Briggs will not get in because he played with Urlacher. Briggs has been one of the top 2 players on defense for years (last year obviously #3 with Peppers added to the roster). I don't see why you would treat these players differently.

Yeah I'd pretty much ignore him if I were the front office. We've seen this movie before.. What was it, two years ago that he signed his last contract? Wtf, he's still got 3 years left on his deal. This is almost as bad as Andre Johnson holding out with 4-5 years left on his contract. Just shut up and play. I wish the NFL were like the NBA to where you cant restructure contracts. Then you would have no hold outs.

Yeah I'd pretty much ignore him if I were the front office. We've seen this movie before.. What was it, two years ago that he signed his last contract? Wtf, he's still got 3 years left on his deal. This is almost as bad as Andre Johnson holding out with 4-5 years left on his contract. Just shut up and play. I wish the NFL were like the NBA to where you cant restructure contracts. Then you would have no hold outs.

He has played 3 years of his 6 year deal.

You said the same thing when Url wanted more money, correct?

This will actually be interesting...the bears have the cap space to make it happen, but Briggs doesn't have a lot of leverage here unless there's an option coming up in his contract that will force the team to negotiate.

The new CBA makes it much more costly for a player to hold out, IIRC, which means that if Briggs wants a fairly small raise (i.e. only a couple million), then he can blow through that entire raise by holding out next season. The player's leverage has been reduced here.

That said...the Bears will take care of him if he keeps this behind the scenes and deals with things appropriately.

He has played 3 years of his 6 year deal.

You said the same thing when Url wanted more money, correct?

Well yeah. I hate when players bitch and complain about their contracts when they aren't even more than a couple of years into their new ones. A contract is suppose to be a CONTRACT and should be honored fully. That's why I brought up the NBA contract. You shouldn't be able to restructure your contracts once you sign them. Just my opinion.

Well yeah. I hate when players bitch and complain about their contracts when they aren't even more than a couple of years into their new ones. A contract is suppose to be a CONTRACT and should be honored fully. That's why I brought up the NBA contract. You shouldn't be able to restructure your contracts once you sign them. Just my opinion.

Now you might be able to say that in MLB and NBA...but in the NFL, a Contract isn't a contract from the team's perspective. Contracts in the NFL are not fully guaranteed, only partially guaranteed, so no, a contract in the NFL is supposed to be honored as long as it is favorable for both sides to honor them.

It's a little premature to make any assumptions at this point.

Briggs may have inquired about a new deal and nothing more. As pointed out earlier in this thread, Urlacher pulled the same stunt pre-neck surgery years ago.

I'm curious to see if the organizational source jumped the gun as did the media (I know that never happens).

If the organization made a similar promise to Briggs that they made with Kreutz prior to the '02 season in which Kreutz initially took a lesser deal to stay with the Bears than he did with the Dolphins. The Bears seemingly came out of nowhere several years later and gave Kreutz a better deal as Angelo stated something along the lines of, "We told Olin we would take care of him and we meant that."

Now considering how bloody Rosenhaus made the last negotiations and dragged it through the media, I doubt the Bears made a similar commitment to Lance. That should also bring up the point in which Rosenhaus TRIED to negotiate through the media and the Bears absolutely bitch slapped him in the negotiation process IMO as they held the Niners hostage for tampering with Lance.

However, this could all be much ado about nothing. If Lance went behind closed doors and said he'd appreciate a little long term security...the Bears should give him that at a reasonable clip.

They each played half of their deal. I agree Url is a fringe HOF. He won't get in right away but will eventually. Briggs will not get in because he played with Urlacher. Briggs has been one of the top 2 players on defense for years (last year obviously #3 with Peppers added to the roster). I don't see why you would treat these players differently.

I don't have alot of time for either Briggs or Urlacher, but to compare the two? Please, Urlacher is by far the more valuable and I would be willing to bet a months salary that we could have had Nick Roach start in place of Briggs and had no more than a 10% drop-off. Briggs is nothing special, he is not fast or a big-hitter, just a solid guy to count on when you need a tackle.

I say let him go and put one of the other guys in....ala Nick Roach.

being able to restructure contracts can work for or against a team there are time when a player is willing to restructure their contract and take less to help sign a key free agent.

Percentage-wise, yes, but not length. 1 year more is still one year more. But regardless, I still treat Peppers and Url differently than I do Briggs. Peppers and Url are 1A, Briggs is 1B. I love Lance, but he can perch for a year on his demands... He's not going to lose 3 years of his career holding out. I'd like to up his salary. But, I wish he'd keep business in house vs in the press.

I think Url will be a first ballot HoF when his turn is up. He's still playing at an amazing level. He has a marquee name justly or unjustly. I hope we have the guy for many more productive years. Sometime he can be a fool, but dammit I love me some Url!

Am I off base recalling there was some stat about missed tackles and Briggs was one of the worst offenders?

I don't have alot of time for either Briggs or Urlacher, but to compare the two? Please, Urlacher is by far the more valuable and I would be willing to bet a months salary that we could have had Nick Roach start in place of Briggs and had no more than a 10% drop-off. Briggs is nothing special, he is not fast or a big-hitter, just a solid guy to count on when you need a tackle.

I say let him go and put one of the other guys in....ala Nick Roach.