Briggs wants new contract

flea

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seriously can work both ways. It's simply a game of chicken...that most the time the player loses. But not always.

being able to restructure contracts can work for or against a team there are time when a player is willing to restructure their contract and take less to help sign a key free agent.

Here's my take, "arguement" or not. Briggs has a history (or at least his agent does) of pushing for more when it wasn't needed. His timing is crap if he wants more then demands more and/or a trade. If it's the alternative, I hope that he is just looking out for his best interests and inquired about the possibility of a long term deal for the sake of personal security (similar to Urlacher), but for some reason the media got ahold of it and made it sound worse than it was. I prefer the latter. But again, history shows....

As far as whether he's "worth" the trouble? No. There is a comparison, if you will, of apples to oranges here. They are both round (LBers in this case) but one gives you a good dose of vitamin C whereas the other is rumored to keep the doctor away. Taken together, even better. Fact is if Briggs wants to play hard ball my answer is 'so long'. I'm sure someone like Roach, Iwuh or Tatupu could flourish just as well. On your own Briggs...you would not do as well. Now if Urlacher comes along and asks for an extension and makes similar demands, well it would be more understanding. Would I as a fan be upset? Sure. But you think I would be as equally willing to let him just walk? What are you crazy? He's synonomous with Butkus, Ditka, Payton and other Bears folklore. Briggs is not. Like Mad Lith pointed out, Urlacher is similar to Singletary where Briggs is more along the lines of Marshall or Wilson.

Percentage-wise, yes, but not length. 1 year more is still one year more. But regardless, I still treat Peppers and Url differently than I do Briggs. Peppers and Url are 1A, Briggs is 1B. I love Lance, but he can perch for a year on his demands... He's not going to lose 3 years of his career holding out. I'd like to up his salary. But, I wish he'd keep business in house vs in the press.

I think Url will be a first ballot HoF when his turn is up. He's still playing at an amazing level. He has a marquee name justly or unjustly. I hope we have the guy for many more productive years. Sometime he can be a fool, but dammit I love me some Url!

Pass the kool-aid. ;) No way, no how is Urlacher a first ballot HOF. Ray Lewis is. Url no way.

Peace :dabears

Pass the kool-aid. ;) No way, no how is Urlacher a first ballot HOF. Ray Lewis is. Url no way.

Pretty sad considering Lewis should have been locked up years ago.

And I hear others recently saying that the likes of Randy Moss could too be first ballot.

Sad what its coming to. A guy like Urlacher may not being considered before these two.

As long as Briggs doesn't threaten to sit out or use the media, it's just business. Reworking a contract is like reworking a house loan. They'll let you do it, but you'll have to pay a price.

It's possible the Bears would want to trade him after this year. It all depends on what they could get. For Cutler, Broncos essentially got the best trade deal this side of Washington trading Ricky Williams to Ditka. Can we get something a third that good if Lance plays well this year? Probably not, but we know these things do happen when the stars align just right.

Pretty sad considering Lewis should have been locked up years ago.

And I hear others recently saying that the likes of Randy Moss could too be first ballot.

Sad what its coming to. A guy like Urlacher may not being considered before these two.

I know Lewis is a dirtbag but he was also the greatest defensive player of his generation - hands down. You cannot make that statement on Url.

I don't see Moss as a first ballot. Chris Carter was a first ballot and he was a hell of a lot better than Moss IMHO,

I think the writing is on the wall, Briggs knows he only has a couple of good years left and now is better then later to ask for a raise. Url knew it and that is why he went after more money. Url got 18 mill more and added a year. That is a whole lot of money. Briggs will be 34 at the end of his contract if he doesnt push now he will have less and less bargaining power as the years go by. Is it right, prolly not but if we were in his shoes we would be doing the same thing.

I tell you what, it will be a sad day in Chicago when Url and Briggs are done. Peppers too. So i say enjoy the next 2 or 3 years cuz that is prolly all we got with all three. I hope they can make it longer but you never know

Ray's a gimme... But I think he'll be retiring before Url, so that year won't matter.

I still think Url goes in unless Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and a few others all retire when Url does.

I know Lewis is a dirtbag but he was also the greatest defensive player of his generation - hands down. You cannot make that statement on Url.

I don't see Moss as a first ballot. Chris Carter was a first ballot and he was a hell of a lot better than Moss IMHO,

Sounds like a decent move. I still think we should be looking at OL in the first! But if an amazing LB falls into place, I'd look at it for sure.

I say draft a stud next year and trade briggs. Draft a guy that play Mike and weak, that way Url replacement is covered and can fill in at brigs position till Url retires.

Ray's a gimme... But I think he'll be retiring before Url, so that year won't matter.

I still think Url goes in unless Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and a few others all retire when Url does.

I agree. The numbers don't lie..Bears' All Time Leader in tackles...regardless of when that stat started, it's still an amazing feat. He has been the heart and soul of this defense for a decade+. He will get in 1st ballot.

Seriously!

That's more tackles than Butkus, George, Singletary...that speaks volumes. He's been amazingly consistent for a ridiculously long time. He isn't perfect, but he's pretty damn excellent!

I agree. The numbers don't lie..Bears' All Time Leader in tackles...regardless of when that stat started, it's still an amazing feat. He has been the heart and soul of this defense for a decade+. He will get in 1st ballot.

Seriously!

That's more tackles than Butkus, George, Singletary...that speaks volumes. He's been amazingly consistent for a ridiculously long time. He isn't perfect, but he's pretty damn excellent!

Once again Lith, same page...Maybe you and me can turn Terra?...LMAO, a snowballs' chance in hell... :cheers

The numbers now don't lie but the numbers back when George and Butkus played are skewed at best.

As for Butkus, those of us that have actually watched him play know that the other team literally feared him on all game days. I can't say the same about any LB on the Bears since with the slight exception to Wilbur Marshall who may never get HOF consideration. Teams still try to go at both Urlacher and Briggs no matter what their status is in regard to pro bowls and being all pro. Don't get me wrong these to guys are two of the games finest lbs but when we start trying to compare them to some of the lbs from previous generations you have to be careful because the gus back in the day took pain killing shots on game day and worked jobs during the offseason.

Ha! Let's no get carried away now! :cheers

(Although Terra makes some valid points among his machine gun fire of pessimism more often than most like giving him credit for! Some folks just see his name and get an aural image of nails on a chalkborad... I've been nailed by his bogus posts more than once...but that was many moons ago!)

Once again Lith, same page...Maybe you and me can turn Terra?...LMAO, a snowballs' chance in hell... :cheers

No doubt, I think the 3 I mentioned are all better than Url... However, I think Url deserves a seat at that table. I hear you on the skewed stats... In my opinoin, there is no one ever that could compare to Butkus. I think he may be the best football player to every play the game at any position. Walter a very very close second... Just my skewed and biassed opinion!

The numbers now don't lie but the numbers back when George and Butkus played are skewed at best.

As for Butkus, those of us that have actually watched him play know that the other team literally feared him on all game days. I can't say the same about any LB on the Bears since with the slight exception to Wilbur Marshall who may never get HOF consideration. Teams still try to go at both Urlacher and Briggs no matter what their status is in regard to pro bowls and being all pro. Don't get me wrong these to guys are two of the games finest lbs but when we start trying to compare them to some of the lbs from previous generations you have to be careful because the gus back in the day took pain killing shots on game day and worked jobs during the offseason.

Now you might be able to say that in MLB and NBA...but in the NFL, a Contract isn't a contract from the team's perspective. Contracts in the NFL are not fully guaranteed, only partially guaranteed, so no, a contract in the NFL is supposed to be honored as long as it is favorable for both sides to honor them.

Briggs knew what he was getting into during this last negotiation. He signed his contract, and now he's gotta live with it. I don't care if it isn't fully guaranteed. A contract is a contract and he agreed to it 3 years ago, so... tough crap for him. If he waited another 2 years to bring this up, it would be more understandable because he'd only have 1 year left but when you have only played through half your contract, it is pushing the limit.

I wasn't saying they would retire the same year. I was comparing the two players. IMHO Lewis is a first ballot HOF and Url is not regardless of the year they retire.

I can't speak for George, but Butkus is the greatest linebacker to ever play in the NFL. Url doesn't come close.

Url is actually the best LB for what this defense calls for MLB to do. He out shines any LB that played in this defense. Sumari and Butkus were 2 totaly dofferent LB's. I do agree though that Butkus was the Greatest. However Url if he were in that 85 bears D, I feel he would have been the best LB on the team.

Again, I just disagree on Url. No doubt Ray is a first ballot. He is better than Url. But I think Url is also a first ballot. Even at this moment. Given more time, Url could even make a stronger case.

I wasn't saying they would retire the same year. I was comparing the two players. IMHO Lewis is a first ballot HOF and Url is not regardless of the year they retire.

Again, I just disagree on Url. No doubt Ray is a first ballot. He is better than Url. But I think Url is also a first ballot. Even at this moment. Given more time, Url could even make a stronger case.

We'll simply disagree. I think Url is a great player but a lot of great players do not get in on first ballot. Someone like Lewis is a shoe in.