Briggs wants new contract

flea

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, one of the reasons Briggs' contract isn't better is that he overplayed his hand the last time. I'm sure he'd like to just erase all that as if it never happened but it doesn't work that way.

At the same time, I remember the year after he finally signed he played really great and I think Url had a down year. People (the impatient types) were talking about trading Urlacher and saying he'd never heal, and I imagine Briggs' play was part of what made them comfortable with an Urlacher-less Bears. I remember thinking maybe Lance was right to demand elite money early. I don't think he's kept that up though since then, but he's at least earned his contract, and it is a big contract, relatively speaking.

Guest TerraTor
We'll simply disagree. I think Url is a great player but a lot of great players do not get in on first ballot. Someone like Lewis is a shoe in.

Peace :dabears

Especially since he's a murderer

Sigh.

Agent Drew Rosenhaus has filed a formal request to seek a trade on behalf of Lance Briggs, the Bears linebacker told the Tribune.

"The Bears made their decision, now I have to make mine," Briggs said. "It's just how the business works. It's not going to take away from what I do on the field. I'm 100 percent a Bear, until I'm not a Bear anymore."

The six-time Pro Bowl selection recently approached the Bears about a raise, but upper management has not budged. Rosenhaus made the trade request via an email to contract negotiator Cliff Stein.

The Bears had no comment on the issue Thursday, and their stance on the trade request remains unclear. They are about $19.3million below this season's salary cap.

If they were to grant him permission to seek a trade, Briggs and his agent could approach other teams to see if something could be worked out.

Briggs has three years left on his contract and is scheduled to make $3.9 million this season (including bonuses), $4 million in 2012 and $6.5 million in 2013. He signed a six-year, $36 million deal in 2008 after first testing the free-agent market, and the maximum value of the first three years was $21.6 million.

Briggs wants the Bears to restructure his contract in a manner that would increase his salary this season, possibly by flip-flopping the $3.9 million with the $6.5 million in the final year.

Briggs approached the Bears after watching younger, less proven linebackers around the league sign lucrative deals.

In comparison with a pair of top veteran 4-3 outside linebackers -- the Broncos' D.J. Williams and the Jaguars' Daryl Smith -- Briggs, 30, has a point. Williams has a base salary of $4.9million this season with three years left on his deal, while Smith's base is $4.2million with two years remaining. Both players are 29, and neither has been selected to a Pro Bowl.

I'm so sick of hearing this shit over and over and over.

The player and the team negotiate for a non-guaranteed contract.

The player wants:

1-Lots of money

2-Lots of front-end money (i.e. bonus, higher salaried initial years)

3-Lots of guaranteed money

4-The security of a long-term contract

The team wants nearly the opposite.

So what happens? 1,2,3, AND 4 get agreed upon, but once 1-3 are satisfied, and the contract is finally to the team's advantage, suddenly the player is not happy with the contract. If players were being honest and forthcoming, they would either A]Offer to have their contracts restructured when they don't play up to previous standards, and/or B] Exclusively seek 1-year deals that yield the highest salary.

Until their is one year left on his contract (a common timeline for negotiation and restructuring), Briggs needs to get his ass on the field and shut his mouth.

I know what the opposite says, "But the team can cut him!" And they do. Which is the main reason why it's not guaranteed and why the player negotiated for the front end money and bonus.

Yea, this is a joke

Players and agents are not stupid. They know a deal signed today will be low in 3 or 4 years. So if you are a pro bowler and sign a deal today, which is market value, you flat know that in 3 years lesser players will get equal or greater contracts. That's simply the way it is. Players and agents know this.

Briggs could have signed a deal then for 3 years with less bonus and guaranteed money, putting him in position for a new deal now. But he didn't. He choose to maximize his contract then, which meant more years.

Look at Larry Fitzgerald. He could have signed a long term deal for eye popping numbers. Did he? Nope. He was smart. He took a deal that may not have had the signing bonus equal to some, but was for fewer years allowing him the opportunity for another contract before his age/value decline. Briggs and others could have done the same, but choose their contract.

I was irritated when I heard Briggs wanted a new deal, but shrugged it off as business as usual. But to demand a trade now? That is about the most classless move I have heard of. More than ever before I want the team to take a hard line stance. Inform Briggs he is going no where. He will play for the Bears, or we do like TB did in the past, and burn a roster spot and the cap space on a player who chooses to sit at home rather than play. Or stick him on the bench if he doesn't want to play. But take a hard line stance.

I'd have considered a trade after this season. I'd have even considered giving him a bit of a payraise after this season. But after this stunt, I would draw the line in the sand and let him know he will either play for us the next three years or he can retire.

I'm so sick of hearing this shit over and over and over.

The player and the team negotiate for a non-guaranteed contract.

The player wants:

1-Lots of money

2-Lots of front-end money (i.e. bonus, higher salaried initial years)

3-Lots of guaranteed money

4-The security of a long-term contract

The team wants nearly the opposite.

So what happens? 1,2,3, AND 4 get agreed upon, but once 1-3 are satisfied, and the contract is finally to the team's advantage, suddenly the player is not happy with the contract. If players were being honest and forthcoming, they would either A]Offer to have their contracts restructured when they don't play up to previous standards, and/or B] Exclusively seek 1-year deals that yield the highest salary.

Until their is one year left on his contract (a common timeline for negotiation and restructuring), Briggs needs to get his ass on the field and shut his mouth.

I know what the opposite says, "But the team can cut him!" And they do. Which is the main reason why it's not guaranteed and why the player negotiated for the front end money and bonus.

Really I don't think he has very much leverage or does he? I don't know, I aint too savy on all the contract stuff. He's a Bear right now. I don't see him going anywhere. If he wants to be a jive ass punk then sign Totopu or some other cat to fill the role. Then get young next year. The whole "I'll play hard and not let this get in the way" crap is trying to get the fans to side with him. I don't see it. He should play hard anyway. Or his value won't be worth the double nickle on his jersey. Bring on the Falcons. BEAR DOWN

lmao what a douchebag. I have no respect for a player like Lance Briggs. We went through this already and he's still acting the same way. I'd trade his ass and get him the hell out of here. Sick of him.

We should have let him go during the last fiasco, as we should let go players with serious character flaws generally.

I say let him go, let Roach or one of the others take over and I am willing to bet we lose next to nothing in performance.

I would just tell Briggs "Lance, this is your year to shine like you have never shined before. We will NOT redo your contract. But we will trade you next year provided we can get good value. So here's the deal, play your ass off and make it count. Help us help you. Obviously, making a big deal about this in the media and going into the tank isn't going to help you one bit so you play nice and we'll play nice.

Yea, this is a joke

Players and agents are not stupid. They know a deal signed today will be low in 3 or 4 years. So if you are a pro bowler and sign a deal today, which is market value, you flat know that in 3 years lesser players will get equal or greater contracts. That's simply the way it is. Players and agents know this.

Briggs could have signed a deal then for 3 years with less bonus and guaranteed money, putting him in position for a new deal now. But he didn't. He choose to maximize his contract then, which meant more years.

Look at Larry Fitzgerald. He could have signed a long term deal for eye popping numbers. Did he? Nope. He was smart. He took a deal that may not have had the signing bonus equal to some, but was for fewer years allowing him the opportunity for another contract before his age/value decline. Briggs and others could have done the same, but choose their contract.

I was irritated when I heard Briggs wanted a new deal, but shrugged it off as business as usual. But to demand a trade now? That is about the most classless move I have heard of. More than ever before I want the team to take a hard line stance. Inform Briggs he is going no where. He will play for the Bears, or we do like TB did in the past, and burn a roster spot and the cap space on a player who chooses to sit at home rather than play. Or stick him on the bench if he doesn't want to play. But take a hard line stance.

I'd have considered a trade after this season. I'd have even considered giving him a bit of a payraise after this season. But after this stunt, I would draw the line in the sand and let him know he will either play for us the next three years or he can retire.

I like that plan...

And we can always pull the rug from under him... And not trade him.

I would just tell Briggs "Lance, this is your year to shine like you have never shined before. We will NOT redo your contract. But we will trade you next year provided we can get good value. So here's the deal, play your ass off and make it count. Help us help you. Obviously, making a big deal about this in the media and going into the tank isn't going to help you one bit so you play nice and we'll play nice.

This is how Drew operates but it is up to his client to set the standard. When Briggs signed his deal it was front loaded with money so naturally now the money is not good but what he has pocketed over the first half of the deal is pretty damn good. I believe this situation is a little similar to when Thomas Jones wanted to be traded and the Bears abliged him because of the way he handled himself. Jones had the same agent but approached the situation differently directly with JA. Maybe if Drew could get Briggs a few endorsements instead of trying to get all his money from the Bears it would be a different story. Have I missed something? What is he endorsing? A multi-pro bowl LB and he has no major endorsements in this town. Even AP who had a speech problem had an endorsement deal.

Only issue I have with that is, we did the same with Thomas Jones. And the following year, had to take whatever we could get because it was known we told him we would trade him, and it would blow up on us if we didn't move him. Hurts our position/leverage.

Honestly, he has 3 more years on his deal. I'd like to take a total hard line stance here. Not only send him a message, but other players who want to pull this crap down the road. Play for us, or retire.

Good piece on ESPN about this.

Talked about how he is crying he is underpaid today, but is quick to forget he was "over-paid" early in his deal when he was getting an average of $7.5m per year. So yea, the yearly money today is below market, but early on it was above market. So it washes out.

Loved the analogy used too. Your a parent and tell your kid on Monday they can watch 5 hours of tv for the week. They have watched 4 hours by Thursday, and cry for more hours. Do you give them more hours because they choose to have the bulk of their tv time early in the week, or teach them a lesson and hold firm. Maybe next week they will learn to spread out their time more evenly.

This is how Drew operates but it is up to his client to set the standard. When Briggs signed his deal it was front loaded with money so naturally now the money is not good but what he has pocketed over the first half of the deal is pretty damn good. I believe this situation is a little similar to when Thomas Jones wanted to be traded and the Bears abliged him because of the way he handled himself. Jones had the same agent but approached the situation differently directly with JA. Maybe if Drew could get Briggs a few endorsements instead of trying to get all his money from the Bears it would be a different story. Have I missed something? What is he endorsing? A multi-pro bowl LB and he has no major endorsements in this town. Even AP who had a speech problem had an endorsement deal.

Good piece on ESPN about this.

Talked about how he is crying he is underpaid today, but is quick to forget he was "over-paid" early in his deal when he was getting an average of $7.5m per year. So yea, the yearly money today is below market, but early on it was above market. So it washes out.

Loved the analogy used too. Your a parent and tell your kid on Monday they can watch 5 hours of tv for the week. They have watched 4 hours by Thursday, and cry for more hours. Do you give them more hours because they choose to have the bulk of their tv time early in the week, or teach them a lesson and hold firm. Maybe next week they will learn to spread out their time more evenly.

Classic Analogy!!!

Darn good points lemon...

People forget that football players are not ordinary people, as much as we make them out to be. Whether we like it or not, they get paid a lot of money to play a sport, and they're millionaries, and Briggs obviously feels like he only has 2 or 3 more years left in him, and he realizes all of his bonuses are gone. He wants an extra $2.5m per year, probably.

I can't blame him. He wants more money for his family. I believe he has 2 or 3 kids with 2 or 3 women. He f***ed up but he has a job in which he can afford that situation. Problem is, he now wants more money for his future. So be it.

Briggs did great things for this franchise, and maybe by February, we're talking about him helping the Bears bring a championship to Chicago.

If they can get a 2nd round pick for him, I'd be all for it.

Let me be the 100000th to say that the timing sucks, though. If you know you want a trade in the offseason, just wait until then. There is no need to be a potential distraction.

Character. character, character, is everything. Before talent, before X's and O's, in the long-term, character is everything.

I hope Lance is gone soon.

I have to second this and the rest. There is simply no excuse for acting or being this way. No way.

I won't rant like I did in another thread but good riddance if that is the course taken.

For years years the roster was 52 men. Give Briggs that 53rd slot for the next 3 years of his deal and let him sit there. Don't play him. Yes he good and he could help, but is he really helping the team right now with this 2 year old tantrum he is throwing? After his 3 years, THAT HE AGREED TO, let him go elsewhere and see how much money he can get with no stats. An A1 Jagoff if you ask me.