Bears RUMORS

Ed Hochuli 3:16

Let him sit if he chooses, we have his contract. He can whine and cry all he wants. I remember Jamar Williams having great stats whenever he got to play for an injured Briggs.

Funny how guys light people up next to Urlacher....

I've had enough of Briggs as there is an issue every other year seemingly...I won't forget him crashing his Porsche and refusing to cooperate with the investigation of the police.

Sure his teammates love him and they chose to follow him as he didn't set a great example for everyone else as he cried publicly about his contract situation AGAIN. He helped create more adversity within the front office when it wasn't needed as they were already dealing with Kreutz's and Forte's issues.

The Bears need a fresh start as bad as he does.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny how guys light people up next to Urlacher....

I've had enough of Briggs as there is an issue every other year seemingly...I won't forget him crashing his Porsche and refusing to cooperate with the investigation of the police.

Sure his teammates love him and they chose to follow him as he didn't set a great example for everyone else as he cried publicly about his contract situation AGAIN. He helped create more adversity within the front office when it wasn't needed as they were already dealing with Kreutz's and Forte's issues.

The Bears need a fresh start as bad as he does.

Being a little picky but it was a $380,000 Lambo not a Porshe that he wrecked. I hope he had insurance on that one!!! ouch!!!

What exactly did he do that was so dirty? Last I checked he went to camp, played all year and made the pro bowl. He can spout his trap all he wants about how much more he wants. He's still under contract for a while.

I would deal him for a player. Maybe to take Marshall or something, but for a pick, no.

What Briggs did to management last off-season was dirtypool. The contract he signed was front loaded and after the front was finished he wanted a new one. He goes public EVERY single time he doesn't get his way- I blame his agent, but Briggs facilitates his employment and doesn't mind killing morale.

He can GTFO.

PEOPLE- THERE IS A REASON I CAPITALIZED "RUMORS." CALM DOWN. I never said this WILL happen. In fact, I said I wasn't sure how credible he is. After doing some research, however, he has hit on a few of his predictions, so this is a bit more interesting than I originally thought.

As for the Briggs talk...people need to choose a side. On this page only, one person who backs Briggs in this case said "we'd be crippled without Briggs" and then another, who also sides with Briggs, says "then let him hold out." How does that solve a damn thing? They'd be "crippled" with him on another team, and if he stays on the team, doesn't play and takes up a roster spot, then they're being "crippled" in that way as well.

Guys, the Bears need a MIRACULOUS offseason to contend next year, and by miraculous, I mean 2 very good rookies, 2 solid looking ones, signing of 2 good pass catchers (unless one of the rookies is one), and a upgrade in the secondary and on the DL (unless those rookies help). If a team wants to take Briggs, give him a $2.5m/year raise for the next 3-4 years, let them. It's about time that the Bears begin to get younger and BETTER defensively. I'm not saying I want him gone, but if a team would take him for the Bears to move up in the draft or for a good, veteran player, I say do it.

If he wants $3m more annually, he can leave. If he wants a minimal raise, work it out. I've heard he doesn't want that much of a raise, so the situation might work itself out. We won't know until next August, though.

What exactly did he do that was so dirty? Last I checked he went to camp, played all year and made the pro bowl. He can spout his trap all he wants about how much more he wants. He's still under contract for a while.

I would deal him for a player. Maybe to take Marshall or something, but for a pick, no.

No he can't spout his trap all he wants even if he plays well. It creates a terrible vibe for everyone and causes unwarranted hostility towards management. Briggs coming out and complaining only hurt the organization's negotiation stances with several players as their agents could point to all of the ticked off players on the club....Briggs being one of those players is an absolute crock.

I understand that twitter is like a loaded gun for some of these guys, but for Briggs to support Chris Harris' crying ways was BS throughout the year as well.

There is no question Lance is one of our best players and he is also PAID like it....new management will need a roster that buys into what they're selling...they need a roster that is conducive to facilitating an environment where there isn't a chip on every player's shoulder about their contract. There is a much less chance of that happening with Briggs here.

Guys, the Bears need a MIRACULOUS offseason to contend next year, and by miraculous, I mean 2 very good rookies, 2 solid looking ones, signing of 2 good pass catchers (unless one of the rookies is one), and a upgrade in the secondary and on the DL (unless those rookies help).

Really, the Bears need a miraculous offseason to contend? Would people say that they wouldn't have been in contention if Cutler and Forte had stayed healthy? I think they're a contending team right now. If Cutler and Forte had been healthy, they'd have gone into Green Bay and probably still had that winning streak going at the end of the year, and they'd have a legit shot at taking down the Packers at Lambeau in Week 16. That team was going places.

On top of that, hopefully next year the Bears avoid the "Martz is trying to kill Cutler" game. And they get 2 first round picks added to their O-line already.

A solid offseason takes the Bears from contenders to one of the best in the NFL.

PEOPLE- THERE IS A REASON I CAPITALIZED "RUMORS." CALM DOWN. I never said this WILL happen. In fact, I said I wasn't sure how credible he is. After doing some research, however, he has hit on a few of his predictions, so this is a bit more interesting than I originally thought.

As for the Briggs talk...people need to choose a side. On this page only, one person who backs Briggs in this case said "we'd be crippled without Briggs" and then another, who also sides with Briggs, says "then let him hold out." How does that solve a damn thing? They'd be "crippled" with him on another team, and if he stays on the team, doesn't play and takes up a roster spot, then they're being "crippled" in that way as well.

Guys, the Bears need a MIRACULOUS offseason to contend next year, and by miraculous, I mean 2 very good rookies, 2 solid looking ones, signing of 2 good pass catchers (unless one of the rookies is one), and a upgrade in the secondary and on the DL (unless those rookies help). If a team wants to take Briggs, give him a $2.5m/year raise for the next 3-4 years, let them. It's about time that the Bears begin to get younger and BETTER defensively. I'm not saying I want him gone, but if a team would take him for the Bears to move up in the draft or for a good, veteran player, I say do it.

If he wants $3m more annually, he can leave. If he wants a minimal raise, work it out. I've heard he doesn't want that much of a raise, so the situation might work itself out. We won't know until next August, though.

Combining two different peoples points doesnt prove anything. Briggs has no legs to stand on to hold out. He can whine all he wants but he knows he has no leverage. Tell him to get closer to the end of his deal and if he deserves it they will restructure.

I also disagree they need a miraculous offseason to contend. IMO the minimum they could do and be good enough to contend is resign/franchise Forte, sign a number 1 WR, address LT and then add a starter in the secondary (either corner or safety) and defensive line (either tackle or end). To me this is the bare minimum they could do and contend.

Agreed. But, having the solid offseason may be the miracle he speaks of!

Really, the Bears need a miraculous offseason to contend? Would people say that they wouldn't have been in contention if Cutler and Forte had stayed healthy? I think they're a contending team right now. If Cutler and Forte had been healthy, they'd have gone into Green Bay and probably still had that winning streak going at the end of the year, and they'd have a legit shot at taking down the Packers at Lambeau in Week 16. That team was going places.

On top of that, hopefully next year the Bears avoid the "Martz is trying to kill Cutler" game. And they get 2 first round picks added to their O-line already.

A solid offseason takes the Bears from contenders to one of the best in the NFL.

So you would be saying the same thing if the deal were for someone like Khalil instead of Blackmon, right?

Yes. The Bears would have to mortgage their entire draft to move into the top 5. That is not a move that should be made for any college player. The only time that type of trade is acceptable is when it's for an already established pro-bowler. And even then it better be at a key position. Having said all that, if it were to happen I'd hate it, but it would be much more tolerable if it's a LT, because the Bears need a LT more than WR (i.e. Webb is not better at LT than Knox, Bennett, or Hester is at WR) and in the grand scheme of things, LT is a more important position than WR.

Giving into Briggs demands hurts this team. If he gets his way, then the next child is going to try that antic. The Bears will be firm and fair with all their players. His complaints/openess probably hurt any chances of seeing a raise this year for sure. We can trade him, but we would lose too much value. If he sits, which I highly doubt we also lose. But the other players will see that signing a contract means you honor it. That is the best way to run an organization IMO. But to go back and look at the trade thought, it would have to be a 1st or 2nd. I couldn't part with him on a 3rd and I can't see any team giving more than a 3rd.

Briggs knows his timeline in the NFL is getting short and he has no chance getting another huge signing bonus. I also heard he got used to making the extra money in the front loaded contract and is overspending his budget. He put himself in a bind and this is an effort to get out.

Guys, the Bears need a MIRACULOUS offseason to contend next year, and by miraculous, I mean 2 very good rookies, 2 solid looking ones, signing of 2 good pass catchers (unless one of the rookies is one), and a upgrade in the secondary and on the DL (unless those rookies help).

Miraculous? That's just straight up nonsense.

Yes. The Bears would have to mortgage their entire draft to move into the top 5. That is not a move that should be made for any college player. The only time that type of trade is acceptable is when it's for an already established pro-bowler. And even then it better be at a key position. Having said all that, if it were to happen I'd hate it, but it would be much more tolerable if it's a LT, because the Bears need a LT more than WR (i.e. Webb is not better at LT than Knox, Bennett, or Hester is at WR) and in the grand scheme of things, LT is a more important position than WR.

WR has to be more important because the only one that'll be on our roster next year is Earl Bennet. You can't go into a season with only one receiver.. But even so, WR is more crucial to this team than adding another offensive lineman is. We have to become more explosive. With Cutler under center, the line worked much better than it ever did at any point last season and was just finding their groove right before he went down. Injuries didn't help the cause. If we were to add a better LT but no WR, our offense would be virtually the same and would still lack a pass catcher that can take over games. However, adding a Dwayne Bowe or whomever at WR gives us that play maker that you need to be explosive and dangerous throughout a season and our line still gets better by the subtraction of Martz.

I hate having to watch the playoffs this year and see all of the great talented WR's making big plays for their teams at big moments during a game. My god, look at all the weapons New York has with Nicks, Cruz, Manningham, and then Calvin Johnson, Marcus Colston, Demarius Thomas etc.. all putting up huge numbers. Vernon Davis, Hell even Michael Crabtree had some big plays.. I want that. This league is evolving into what is now a passing dominated game.

WR has to be more important because the only one that'll be on our roster next year is Earl Bennet. You can't go into a season with only one receiver.. But even so, WR is more crucial to this team than adding another offensive lineman is. We have to become more explosive. With Cutler under center, the line worked much better than it ever did at any point last season and was just finding their groove right before he went down. Injuries didn't help the cause. If we were to add a better LT but no WR, our offense would be virtually the same and would still lack a pass catcher that can take over games. However, adding a Dwayne Bowe or whomever at WR gives us that play maker that you need to be explosive and dangerous throughout a season and our line still gets better by the subtraction of Martz.

Please explain, Please, Pretty Please. Are you telling me all of the other WRs we have will be gone? I doubt it.

You must be referencing a different post, because I've never once said to give into Briggs' demands. I said he's under contract and expect him to fulfill it. I may be willing to add some performance or achievement bonuses to it though.

Giving into Briggs demands hurts this team. If he gets his way, then the next child is going to try that antic. The Bears will be firm and fair with all their players. His complaints/openess probably hurt any chances of seeing a raise this year for sure. We can trade him, but we would lose too much value. If he sits, which I highly doubt we also lose. But the other players will see that signing a contract means you honor it. That is the best way to run an organization IMO. But to go back and look at the trade thought, it would have to be a 1st or 2nd. I couldn't part with him on a 3rd and I can't see any team giving more than a 3rd.

Briggs knows his timeline in the NFL is getting short and he has no chance getting another huge signing bonus. I also heard he got used to making the extra money in the front loaded contract and is overspending his budget. He put himself in a bind and this is an effort to get out.

Please explain, Please, Pretty Please. Are you telling me all of the other WRs we have will be gone? I doubt it.

Who are you referring to? Sam Hurd is spending the rest of his career in prison. Dane Sanzenbacher is hot garbage and most likely will not be back (Wouldn't matter if he was anyways since he's no good). Devin Hester is not a receiver even if you want to consider him one. Roy Williams will not be re-signed, and Johnny Knox may never play again and is a free agent. His injury is going to have a lot to do with whether we re-sign him or not. I have to imagine, he's going to have to go through a mental struggle the rest of his career if he ends up playing again. You can't have an injury like that and not damage some part of you psychologically.

You must be referencing a different post, because I've never once said to give into Briggs' demands. I said he's under contract and expect him to fulfill it. I may be willing to add some performance or achievement bonuses to it though.

""On this page only, one person who backs Briggs in this case said "we'd be crippled without Briggs" and then another, who also sides with Briggs, says "then let him hold out." "

It was in reference to Brian's post about how it hurts the Bears either way by letting him walk or sit out. I wanted to point out letting him get his way would probably hurt the team more by letting players know thats all they have to do.

This seems to be a pretty decent year for free agency, and if we can get 3-4 of this group, I would be very happy:

Top Tier Wideout (Free Agent)

Dwayne Bowe (81-1159, 5TD)

Steve Johnson (76-1004, 7TD)

Vincent Jackson (60-1106, 9TD)

or trade for Brandon Marshall (81-1214, 6TD)

2nd Tier Wideout (Free Agent)

Robert Meachem (40-620, 6TD

Jerome Simpson (50-725, 4TD)

Mario Manningham (39-523, 4TD)

Top Tier Tight End

Jermichael Finley (probably franchised by GB)

Fred Davis (59-796, 3TD) via Free Agency

2nd Tier Tight End

Jacob Tamme - IND

Joel Dreesen - HOU

Scott Chandler - BUF

OL

Chris Myers - Hou

Nick Hardwick - SD

Evan Mathis - PHI

Carl Nicks - NO

Jake Scott - TEN

CB

Cortland Finnegan - TEN (1 INT, 75 tackles)

Lardarius Webb - BAL (5 INT, 67 tackles)

DL

Campbell Calais - ARZ (72 tackles, 8 sacks, 1 INT)

Jermey Mincey - JAX (57 tackles, 8 sacks, 1 INT)

Sione Pouha - NYJ (58 tackles, 1 sack, 1 safety)

OLB

Erin Henderson - MIN (70 tackles, 1.5 sacks)

Jarret Johnson - BAL (56 tackles, 2.5 sacks)

Manny Lawson - CIN (52 tackles, 1.5 sacks)

Anthony Spencer - DAL (66 tackles, 6.0 sacks)

Solid Backup QB

Chad Henne

Derek Anderson

David Carr

Brady Quinn

JP Losman

Kyle Orton

I used the following tracker and sorted by most valuable by position: http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/...-agent-tracker/

Something like Dwayne Bowe, Joel Dreesen, Carl Nicks, and Lardarius Webb while drafting OL, WR, DB, LB, DL.

I hate having to watch the playoffs this year and see all of the great talented WR's making big plays for their teams at big moments during a game. My god, look at all the weapons New York has with Nicks, Cruz, Manningham, and then Calvin Johnson, Marcus Colston, Demarius Thomas etc.. all putting up huge numbers. Vernon Davis, Hell even Michael Crabtree had some big plays.. I want that. This league is evolving into what is now a passing dominated game.

False. Cutler and Co. were getting into a groove despite the fact that they were severely limited on the number of effective pass routes available. The reason there was a limit was the OL's inability to hold a block for more than 2 seconds consistently. If they were able to give Cutler a nice pocket to sit in and progress on reads, guys like Knox and Hester would be open more often by simple virtue of their speed. You're only looking at part of the picture. All the guys you mentioned have teams with good/great OLs. Hell, did you see the ridiculous amount of time Tebow had in the pocket and scrambling around behind the line of scrimmage? Have you ever watched Drew Brees drop back and feel rushed? And Eli Manning often could pick his nose before passing. They're all putting up huge numbers, but if you put them behind a shit OL, it doesn't matter what WRs they have; the numbers will fall drastically. Which is why the MuhMuh comment about "where WRs come to die" has so much merit. It spans offensive coordinators, quarterbacks, running backs, and just about every other turnover except HC and GM. Why? Because Lovie and JA never valued the OL as much as most other positions. Hopefully that will change, but as long as the OL is in flux and incapable of consistently protecting the QB, the WRs will never reach their true potential and we'll always be talking about getting that next big, bad WR.

False. Cutler and Co. were getting into a groove despite the fact that they were severely limited on the number of effective pass routes available.

For the love of God.. This line is getting irritating. What routes aren't available? Please tell me because I remember seeing several times Cutler finding Earl Bennett down the field for big plays, and Johnny Knox had a few huge plays against San Diego the week he went down where he averaged 32.3 yards per catch including a 42 yarder. Bennett averaged 25 per catch in that game. Even in the game against Detroit where the offense didn't have to do much, Cutler still found Bennett for a 30 yarder, Sam Hurd for 21 yards, and Knox for an 18 yard pass completion. You're telling me those were all short bubble routes that lead to these scores? Give me a freakin break. Frankly, I'm sick and tired of this same garbage you keep repeating when you know it's not even remotely true. The Bears probably ran as many, if not more deep patterns during the season with Cutler than just about any team in the NFL. That's the Mike Martz offense. And guess what? We were pretty darn successful with it during that 5 game winning streak. So don't give me that B.S about "Pass routes available" because I don't want to hear it anymore.

Out of all those receivers I mentioned the thing they all share in common is that they are all 1st round picks with the exception of Cruz and Manningham but as far as #1's go, they were all taken in the 1st round. I'm not going to argue that great offensive line play aids the ability for a quarterback to find his receivers but it doesn't have any impact on the individual play of the receiver themselves. It doesn't make them run any faster, leap any higher, or catch any better. We don't have anybody on this team that could do what Vernon Davis did to New Orleans in the playoffs (Does Kellen Davis make those plays?), we don't have anybody on this team that has all the physical tools that a guy like Hakeem Nicks has, we don't have anybody on this team that could make the play that Demaryius Thomas made during OT with that incredible run after the catch. Does Earl Bennett or Roy Williams beat any of those DB's around the edge to score an 80 yarder? Could Knox fight off the defender after the initial catch to get to the endzone? I doubt it. It's just not there.

The Moose comment was directed towards the lack of talent at the quarterback position the Bears have ran out there for basically the entire existence of the franchise before Cutler. It had nothing to do with offensive line play. When you have to go back to Sid Luckman pre-Cutler to talk about great quarterback play, it's not good. Moose was actually on 670 the score a few weeks ago to give insight on the Jerry Angelo firing and he went out of his way to bash Rex Grossman when the guys asked him about that very comment.

I think I may be responding on the wrong thread, if so I apologize...

But I feel we don't mortgage our entire draft on ANY position. WR, LT, or anything. We can get a good player where we are slotted. We need to hit on 3 of of top 5 picks. We need to pick up an OL and WR in FA. And possibly a DL or BD.

We just have too many holes. No draft choice is a sure thing. I prefer leverage.

If the Bears re-sign Forte and a couple other guys nearing the end of their contracts, Briggs will be the only one bitching and moaning. Let him. He'll play.

No he can't spout his trap all he wants even if he plays well. It creates a terrible vibe for everyone and causes unwarranted hostility towards management. Briggs coming out and complaining only hurt the organization's negotiation stances with several players as their agents could point to all of the ticked off players on the club....Briggs being one of those players is an absolute crock.

I understand that twitter is like a loaded gun for some of these guys, but for Briggs to support Chris Harris' crying ways was BS throughout the year as well.

There is no question Lance is one of our best players and he is also PAID like it....new management will need a roster that buys into what they're selling...they need a roster that is conducive to facilitating an environment where there isn't a chip on every player's shoulder about their contract. There is a much less chance of that happening with Briggs here.

Gotcha. I thought you were specifically referencing my post.

""On this page only, one person who backs Briggs in this case said "we'd be crippled without Briggs" and then another, who also sides with Briggs, says "then let him hold out." "

It was in reference to Brian's post about how it hurts the Bears either way by letting him walk or sit out. I wanted to point out letting him get his way would probably hurt the team more by letting players know thats all they have to do.

We would appear to have the cap apce to nabe a couple top FA's.

WR - V-Jack

OL - Nicks

OLB - Lawson (speed guy...fit Smith's agenda)

I think would get us to a great point.

I'm just not familiar with the DL names in FA.

This seems to be a pretty decent year for free agency, and if we can get 3-4 of this group, I would be very happy:

Top Tier Wideout (Free Agent)

Dwayne Bowe (81-1159, 5TD)

Steve Johnson (76-1004, 7TD)

Vincent Jackson (60-1106, 9TD)

or trade for Brandon Marshall (81-1214, 6TD)

2nd Tier Wideout (Free Agent)

Robert Meachem (40-620, 6TD

Jerome Simpson (50-725, 4TD)

Mario Manningham (39-523, 4TD)

Top Tier Tight End

Jermichael Finley (probably franchised by GB)

Fred Davis (59-796, 3TD) via Free Agency

2nd Tier Tight End

Jacob Tamme - IND

Joel Dreesen - HOU

Scott Chandler - BUF

OL

Chris Myers - Hou

Nick Hardwick - SD

Evan Mathis - PHI

Carl Nicks - NO

Jake Scott - TEN

CB

Cortland Finnegan - TEN (1 INT, 75 tackles)

Lardarius Webb - BAL (5 INT, 67 tackles)

DL

Campbell Calais - ARZ (72 tackles, 8 sacks, 1 INT)

Jermey Mincey - JAX (57 tackles, 8 sacks, 1 INT)

Sione Pouha - NYJ (58 tackles, 1 sack, 1 safety)

OLB

Erin Henderson - MIN (70 tackles, 1.5 sacks)

Jarret Johnson - BAL (56 tackles, 2.5 sacks)

Manny Lawson - CIN (52 tackles, 1.5 sacks)

Anthony Spencer - DAL (66 tackles, 6.0 sacks)

Solid Backup QB

Chad Henne

Derek Anderson

David Carr

Brady Quinn

JP Losman

Kyle Orton

I used the following tracker and sorted by most valuable by position: http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/...-agent-tracker/

Something like Dwayne Bowe, Joel Dreesen, Carl Nicks, and Lardarius Webb while drafting OL, WR, DB, LB, DL.