Bears RUMORS

Ed Hochuli 3:16

Rumors of Bold Moves for Bears

Published Jan. 15, 2012

By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell

It is not earth-shattering news to say that the Chicago Bears need wide receiver help. Chicago hasn't had a 1,000-yard wideout since Marty Booker in 2002 under wide receivers coach Todd Haley.

Roy Williams was a free agent bust. He tied Johnny Knox with 27 receptions on the season, the most of any Bear wideout. Williams is a free agent, and it would be a shock if Chicago re-signed him. Earl Bennett is a solid depth receiver, and Devin Hester is a spot player, but the team really needs two new starters. There are rumors going around that Chicago is going to make some bold moves to address the receiver position this offseason.

Under new offensive coordinator Mike Tice, Chicago is expected to have a run-based offense, but they know they need some receivers to work with quarterback Jay Cutler. The Bears are in Cutler's prime years as an NFL quarterback, and they have to get him some receivers that can take advantage of a quality signal-caller.

Chicago is discussed as a team that could make a big run at a free agent receiver. Right now there could be a few good options to pick from: New Orleans' Marques Colston, Kansas City's Dwayne Bowe, San Diego's Vincent Jackson and Buffalo's Steve Johnson could all hit the open market.

One of the rumors that Chicago is being linked to is a big trade in the first round of the 2012 NFL Draft to land Oklahoma State wide receiver Justin Blackmon. The fast and physical playmaker looks like a young Terrell Owens and a future game-changer. In order for the Bears to get high enough to land Blackmon, they might have to trade away their 2013 first-rounder in a deal similar to what Atlanta did to acquire Julio Jones in the 2011 NFL Draft. The Bears have some extra ammo for a trade as they have two third-round picks because of the Greg Olsen deal.

Another audacious move that is being linked to the Bears concerns their top rival. Green Bay Packers tight end Jermichael Finley could be available on the open market. Some believe that he will be given the franchise tag, and he has previously stated that he is OK with it. But if Finley hits the open market, Chicago is team that some are talking about making a big push to sign him. Former offensive coordinator Mike Martz had no use for a receiving tight end, but Tice is said to believe the opposite. In signing Finley, the Bears would bolster their passing attack and weaken the Packers.

Chicago's coaching staff could be under the gun in 2012, as they will have a new general manager who did not hire them. The Bears' championship window with defensive stars Brian Urlacher, Lance Briggs and Julius Peppers is closing. Some major acquisitions to upgrade the offense to make another run at a Super Bowl are necessary for Chicago. Considering that, the rumors of bold moves shouldn't be too surprising.

per walterfootball.com

Don't how credible Charlie Campbell is, but this makes for great talk regardless.

If they traded way up for Blackmon and signed Finley, that would be a GREAT offseason. However, I'd rather see them hold onto the picks it'd take to get Blackmon and use those to get younger on D and better on O. Trading 2 first rounds + a 2nd is a bit much for an unknown commodity. Blackmon would be an offensive improvement obviously, but that's just 1 guy and leaves a lot to be desired on the OL.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would throw a parade if the Bears made that bold of a move to grab Justin Blackmon. I'd have to see what the trade is before I go all in on it though. If it's 2 firsts, I'd really think hard about it. Blackmon is clearly the best receiver in this draft and has the potential to have an AJ Green like impact on a team that drafts him right away in year 1.

Finley has a bad case of the drops. He'd obviously be an upgrade and I'd endorse such a much providing we still sign and or draft a receiver to go along with him. I don't want him being the only move we make to upgrade offensively from the skill positions.

I would throw a parade if the Bears made that bold of a move to grab Justin Blackmon. I'd have to see what the trade is before I go all in on it though. If it's 2 firsts, I'd really think hard about it. Blackmon is clearly the best receiver in this draft and has the potential to have an AJ Green like impact on a team that drafts him right away in year 1.

Finley has a bad case of the drops. He'd obviously be an upgrade and I'd endorse such a much providing we still sign and or draft a receiver to go along with him. I don't want him being the only move we make to upgrade offensively from the skill positions.

If it's two 1st's and a 2nd, that'd be tough for me to swallow. The Bears might be sitting pretty for Riley Reiff at #19, who looks like he can play LT in the NFL, so he'd be a huge upgrade over Webb even if he ends up as just "solid." Trading away that many picks for a WR when the LB depth sucks, the DL is old and sucks, and their secondary is half young half old but they suck could be a drastic mistake. However, if they can try to salvage a 1st by including Briggs, that might work for me, but again then, the LB depth goes from bad to pathetic.

But, this move would be very ballsy and show me that they want to win and help Cutler ASAP.

As for Finley, I agree. If he's the only pass catcher they add all spring and summer, I'd be disappointed, but that will not happen.

If it's two 1st's and a 2nd, that'd be tough for me to swallow. The Bears might be sitting pretty for Riley Reiff at #19, who looks like he can play LT in the NFL, so he'd be a huge upgrade over Webb even if he ends up as just "solid." Trading away that many picks for a WR when the LB depth sucks, the DL is old and sucks, and their secondary is half young half old but they suck could be a drastic mistake. However, if they can try to salvage a 1st by including Briggs, that might work for me, but again then, the LB depth goes from bad to pathetic.

But, this move would be very ballsy and show me that they want to win and help Cutler ASAP.

As for Finley, I agree. If he's the only pass catcher they add all spring and summer, I'd be disappointed, but that will not happen.

I live in Madison, WI and watch the Packers every week (yuck) and Finley had a terrible game against the Chiefs and that was it.

IF Finley actually hits the market (I believe he'll be franchised) I WANT HIM.

In regards to Blackmon---I doubt a new GM would want to deal most of his high picks this year and next year away for one guy. Besides, lets wait and see how Blackmon interviews...he may be like his mentor Dez Bryant in that regard and really put teams off. We'll wait and see.

I'm in the camp to deal Briggs for a 3rd and then sending a 2nd and two 3rds for Marshall while signing Finley if they can.

I live in Madison, WI and watch the Packers every week (yuck) and Finley had a terrible game against the Chiefs and that was it.

In regards to Blackmon---I doubt a new GM would want to deal most of his high picks this year and next year away for one guy. Besides, lets wait and see how Blackmon interviews...he may be like his mentor Dez Bryant in that regard and really put teams off. We'll wait and see.

I'm in the camp to deal Briggs for a 3rd and then sending a 2nd and two 3rds for Marshall while signing Finley if they can.

If Miami wants two 3rd's and a 2nd for Marshall, I'll pass.

Trading that much for one guy, no matter how highly rated, no matter how much he's predicted to be a superstar, is ridiculous when there are multiple holes.

Trading up a little bit is one thing because the Bears have pieces to move, but that kind of move would be very costly.

This shouldn't even be up for consideration. Especially since the FA list is so extensive.

Trading that much for one guy, no matter how highly rated, no matter how much he's predicted to be a superstar, is ridiculous when there are multiple holes.

Trading up a little bit is one thing because the Bears have pieces to move, but that kind of move would be very costly.

This shouldn't even be up for consideration. Especially since the FA list is so extensive.

Agreed 100%

Peace :dabears

So you would be saying the same thing if the deal were for someone like Khalil instead of Blackmon, right?

Again, I don't see the logic in going all in on one player when we have so many holes. Add in a new GM who is going to be evaluated more on how the team performs in his 3rd and 4th seasons and it seems even less likely. Add in all the top tier FA WR available and it makes even less sense. This seems like more speculation than fact to me especially with no GM on board yet.

Who is going to trade for a 32 year old lb that wants a big contract? I dont think Marshall will go anywhere, why would a team trade away there only legimate wr? It all sounds good to play GM but our GM isnt even in place yet, so how can anybody have any idea how we will go about FAgency and who we will draft.

per walterfootball.com

Don't how credible Charlie Campbell is, but this makes for great talk regardless.

If they traded way up for Blackmon and signed Finley, that would be a GREAT offseason. However, I'd rather see them hold onto the picks it'd take to get Blackmon and use those to get younger on D and better on O. Trading 2 first rounds + a 2nd is a bit much for an unknown commodity. Blackmon would be an offensive improvement obviously, but that's just 1 guy and leaves a lot to be desired on the OL.

Charlie Campbell is blowing smoke, the only rumor out there is the one he just started. The Bears are to busy trying to find a GM to have a decision to trade up and go after FAs. Our local media have a better handle on what is going on behind the scenes, and they havent mentioned anything. Oh by the way, I heard that the Bears were going to trade Forte, Briggs, and Urlacher for A. Foster with Houston, because I like Foster better than Forte.

I wonder if I started this rumor with my last post "crazy draft thought" lol

My only intention was to show that we have the ammo to do so. If we did, I wouldn't be too upset b/c this would fill a major need with a prospect i think is a can't miss. It would cost a lot, but how many picks were blown anyways by this organization. Whether it was picks made by JA or the coaching staff not bringing them along. It's not gonna happen, just draft chatter to get people interested.

I wonder if I started this rumor with my last post "crazy draft thought" lol

My only intention was to show that we have the ammo to do so. If we did, I wouldn't be too upset b/c this would fill a major need with a prospect i think is a can't miss. It would cost a lot, but how many picks were blown anyways by this organization. Whether it was picks made by JA or the coaching staff not bringing them along. It's not gonna happen, just draft chatter to get people interested.

The only way this makes sense is if the Bears find O-line, CB, D-line, and LB help in free agency and are sitting in a position with a veteran laden roster but have also swung and missed on the FA wideouts.

It could happen, but this position shouldn't wait this long.

per walterfootball.com

Signing Finley= all for it, he is a beast

Trading up for Blackmon= i think he is going to be great(he looked amazing in that bowl game) but with Vjack out there i would rather sign him and go a different route in the 1st round

I wonder what the Point of a GM is if the Bears are already making decisions on which way to go with FA and Draft??? If this is all true then a GM wont have much say or will be told this is what we are doing and now make it happen. Not sure is a GM really wants that type of situation. Or it could tell the GM that the Bears are really going to make a run at adding some serious firepower and wont have his hands tied to not spending some money and making game changing personel moves.

Which phantom GM is starting these rumors?

It reeks of fan Madden-esque speculation.

per walterfootball.com

Guest TerraTor

I have the same feeling on Finley. He disappears too often. and missed almost a full season with injury. Hes better than the scrubs we have however

Who is going to trade for a 32 year old lb that wants a big contract? I dont think Marshall will go anywhere, why would a team trade away there only legimate wr? It all sounds good to play GM but our GM isnt even in place yet, so how can anybody have any idea how we will go about FAgency and who we will draft.

Well it's the off-season and it's a message board.....so yeah. I'm merely speaking my piece here so I can feel better about complaining later IF they sit on their hands.

Why would a team trade their only legitimate WR? That WR makes a ton of coin and that same team is looking at around 5-11 with or without him. Why wouldn't a GM want a bag of picks to help his new HC succeed and tailor the team to the HC's strengths? It is worth talking about as Cutler spoke publicly of wanting Marshall and Marshall wanting Chicago....with Cutler being perhaps the 2nd most powerful person in the Bears organization....there is smoke to this fire.

In reference to Briggs- I believe multiple contenders would line up to acquire him for a 3rd Rounder as a trade could potentially humble him. I don't know for sure, but the Bears have got to be sick of dealing with his garbage so I hope they send him somewhere else.

I got excited to the Finley speak as this was the first publication I've heard state the Bears will have interest. Who knows if it is true....but I HOPE it is.

You're correct on not having a GM in place makes this all moot....but there is still staff in place at Halas Hall and that will matter for the immediate off-season at least to a degree.

It blows my mind so many people want to trade Briggs. He like a 7 time pro bowler we have under contract for a few more years that we couldnt even get anything of value for a few years ago. Why trade him for a 2nd day draft pick? What kind of sense does that make?

What Briggs did to management last off-season was dirtypool. The contract he signed was front loaded and after the front was finished he wanted a new one. He goes public EVERY single time he doesn't get his way- I blame his agent, but Briggs facilitates his employment and doesn't mind killing morale.

He can GTFO.

The Bears defense would be crippled if they lost Briggs. He still played last season despite his crying about his contract and his teammates love him. Its not that much different then Vjax situation in SD yet everyone seems to want him. The NFL is a business so those situations are gonna happen. The goal is fielding the best team, not making a team people can feel warm and fuzzy about.