Shea McClellin - DE - Boise S

DABEARSDABOMB

From NFL.com combine profile page:

5th round value? wow....

Here is the combine comparison to Clay Matthews:

Matthews - (6'3", 240) - 4.67 secs 40-yard, 23 reps, 35.5 inch vert jump, 121-inch broad jump, 6.90 secs 3-cone, 4.18 secs 20 yd shuttle

McClellin - (6'3", 260) - 4.63 secs 40-yard, 19 reps, 31.5 inch vert jump, 118-inch broad jump, 7.07 3-cone, 4.33 secs 20 yd shuttle

McClellin held his own vs Matthews and is 20 lbs heavier and faster?

GUYS: MATTHEWS IS A 3-4 OLB. SO IS MCCLELLIN. STOP COMPARING THE TWO, ESPECIALLY IF YOU'RE DEFENDING THE PICK. IT JUST MAKES YOU LOOK RIDICULOUS. IF YOU ALL FORGOT, THE BEARS PLAY A 4-3. HELLO?! EARTH TO CHICAGO.

Jeff Allen from Illinois could be there in round 2. I'd still go WR but I could see them trying to bring in a comparable LT.

If they didn't take Reiff, I wouldn't get my hopes up about Allen.

Skip Bayless likes the pick for the Bears, haha. As long as McClellin starts and performs, I'll eat my words. I'm still mad they didn't go with a different DE with legit size.

Skip Bayless? Okay, now I know for sure this picks sucks.

Bill Bellicheck is just smarter than everybody else. They knew what they needed to get and they went out and got it. Jones is a balanced DE with hybrid like ability and Hightower is a brick wall MLB that can disrupt plays in the back field. McClellin is going to get blown up against the run by the bigger OL. God I hate this pick so damn much.

Bill Belichick is such an overrated drafter. The Patriots had NO running game last year, no WR's besides Welker (who they traded for, not drafted), and no secondary or OLB's. Let's not all hail Bill Belichick on his drafting because he took one quarterback years ago.

who at LB? Deconsta or whatever... he sucks

Were you one of many who loved Brendon Ayanbedejo? Yeah, Costanzo > Ayanbedejo.

we signed 9 special teamers in Free Agency too, no starters

Bush- starter if Forte holds out.

Rachal- potential starter

Hayes- potential starter

Omg...Emery is talking about our 1st round picks ability to play ST's. Seriously, what the freak is that a consideration for. Lions get a good tackle in Reiff.

This pissed me off. I agree. Why talk him up on ST? You can get a nice ST player by taking a white OLB in round 6 or 7.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read a few people compare him to Jared Allen. Tons of speed and just a huge motor. He clearly needs to add some strength but New England and Green Bay were two of the teams that had fallen hard for him. I know the Pats have missed on some picks lately but those are two of the better scouting teams out there. I'm just going to sit back and hope Emery knows what he's doing. He's a great scout and hopefully he's right.

Jared Allen combine stats comparison:

Allen - (6'6", 270) - 4.72 40-yd, 13 reps, 33 vert jump, 120 broad jump, 4.34 shuttle, 7.11 3-cone

McClellin - (6'3", 260) - 4.63 40-yd, 19 reps, 31.5 vert jump, 118 broad jump, , 4.33 shuttle, 7.07 3-cone

McClellin beats Allen in everything but the vert and broad jumps. Interesting to see Allen's low bench press total.

Mayock had him ranked #14 in his Top 100 (ahead of Mercilus and Coples): http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d828...ospect-rankings

Walter Football ranked him #1 as OLB: http://walterfootball.com/draft2012OLB.php

Shutdown Corner had him going to SD at #18 and NFP had him going #20 to TEN, and he goes #19 to us: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--side-by-...NsbKzlYNpRDubYF

Analyzing this pick, he was not a reach as some are making this out to be. A very productive college player that had a decent combine and Senior Bowl.

Mayock had him ranked #14 in his Top 100 (ahead of Mercilus and Coples): http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d828...ospect-rankings

Yes, as an OLB.

Walter Football ranked him #1 as OLB: http://walterfootball.com/draft2012OLB.php

3 key words: OUTSIDE LINEBACKER

Shutdown Corner had him going to SD at #18 and NFP had him going #20 to TEN, and he goes #19 to us: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--side-by-...NsbKzlYNpRDubYF

Yeah, because SD is a 3-4 team.

Analyzing this pick, he was not a reach as some are making this out to be. A very productive college player that had a decent combine and Senior Bowl.

For a 4-3 team, he IS a reach.

This is a HUGE reason why I can't stand mock drafts. It is so much hype and opinion that proves out to be "much ado about nothing".

That being said, I don't think it fair to judge without really knowing much about the guy. I think some might have been skeptical when this guy was picked, after all he was a Safety for a large part of his College career:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dspro...&genpos=olb

And just for comparison:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1274370

Most places I have read say that this guy was going to get picked somewhere in the 1st round. Some say high mid, some say low mid first round. He's now a Bear and there's no doubt he will contribute to a team looking to get back to the Super Bowl.

This is pick surprised the heck out of me. However I seen a couple of his games and He can rush the passer. I believe Emery went by production over a longer period of time then one year. Merciless was one year wonder and lighter in the ass then Shea, Jones had injury issues and only played 7 games. this kid has been dominating since his sophomore year. I don't see him as a Bauzin type at all. More like Allen or Little.

Leonard Little

Height: 6-3 Weight: 267

Dwight Freeney #93 DE

Height: 6-1 Weight: 268

Jared Allen #69 DE

Height: 6-6 Weight: 266

I was concerned at first, but after checking things out, I am fine with the pick.

Things I found out:

Size is not an issue, many of the others who are listed as DE prospects, including Mercilius, are no bigger, and not as fast

In Lovies scheme, we would not want a 300 lb DE, we want a speed guy, and that is what we have in Shea

I have found no history of injury issues to be concerned about, not like C Jones who was a late riser but had a history of knee injury

Suppose to have great football instincts, extremely high motor, quick off the snap, quick hands and feet

Extremely high character, farm boy who has a chance to make it big in the big city, which he says will not intimidate him

Some, including myself, liked players who only had 1 good year of college production. This guy was great his entire career at Boise

I was upset at first, but hey, lets give this guy a shot. He has a lot of great write-ups on the net and I loved the video highlights.

Brian Bear,

You're way too hung up on this "OLB" and "3-4" vs "4-3" scheme. A lot of teams are looking for players that can fit that OLB/DE hybrid. Take NY Giants as an example. They have a 4-3 basic defense with a front four combination of DE/OLB crashing the opposing line. Mathias Kiwanuka was drafted by the Giants as a DE but is now considered an OLB. Heck even last year in Chicago, Peppers played interior line a few times here and there.

I think it is a great idea at looking to bring in a player with "LB speed" to help in the front four rush. After all, the effectiveness of the Cover 2 is predicated by the front four pressure.

Brian Bear, You're way too hung up on this "OLB" and "3-4" vs "4-3" scheme. A lot of teams are looking for players that can fit that OLB/DE hybrig. Take NY Giants as an example. They have a 4-3 basic defense with a front four combination of DE/OLB crashing the opposing line. Mathias Kiwanuka was drafted by the Giants as a DE but is now considered an OLB. Heck even last year in Chicago, Peppers played interior line a few times here and there.

I think it is a great idea at looking to bring in a player with "LB speed" to help in the front four rush. After all the effectiveness of the Cover 2 is predicated by the front four pressure.

I agree, the labeled position is sort of irrelevant, he is a pass-rusher, he can play with his hand down or standing, and can also drop into coverage. It is not a flashy name, but overall it was a solid/safe pick.

What you all are missing is that the Bears don't run hybrid defenses at all. They run zone, cover 2, or man, and they never line up in a 3-4. Sure, they put Peppers at DT at times, but they've never sent him off the corner in a 3-4 or anything, and that's what we're presuming they'll now do.

Matthews wouldn't be able to play DE in the Bears' D, and the Allen comparisons need to stop, as he has 3 inches, 6 pounds, and A LOT more professional sacks on SMC.

I agree, the labeled position is sort of irrelevant, he is a pass-rusher, he can play with his hand down or standing, and can also drop into coverage. It is not a flashy name, but overall it was a solid/safe pick.

How is a 3-4 OLB a "safe" pick though? I see your point on his quickness, but someone from a MWC school, no strength, projects as a 3-4 OLB, and a concussion history is not "safe" by any means. If you want to say you like the pick, fine, but I don't know how you could say safe.

What you all are missing is that the Bears don't run hybrid defenses at all. They run zone, cover 2, or man, and they never line up in a 3-4. Sure, they put Peppers at DT at times, but they've never sent him off the corner in a 3-4 or anything, and that's what we're presuming they'll now do.

Matthews wouldn't be able to play DE in the Bears' D, and the Allen comparisons need to stop, as he has 3 inches, 6 pounds, and A LOT more professional sacks on SMC.

How is a 3-4 OLB a "safe" pick though? I see your point on his quickness, but someone from a MWC school, no strength, projects as a 3-4 OLB, and a concussion history is not "safe" by any means. If you want to say you like the pick, fine, but I don't know how you could say safe.

He is not a 3-4 OLB. Just because some teams were projecting him there, doesn't mean he is automatically locked into a 3-4 OLB for life. Hell, I have seen some pre-draft writeups saying he could play anywhere from DE to OLB to MLB, regardless of scheme. He is that versatile. Somehow Whitney Mercilus is a true DE who weighs the same as McClellin, and Jones who is only a few lbs heavier. Those would have been better picks because they are true DE's and McClellin is not?

It was safe in the sense of his production as a DE in college, no character issues (see Irvin), and overall draft grades. He sure played in a ton of games to have a significant concussion. I believe that is completely overblown. I would say a very high number of the players being drafted have been concussed at some point in their playing careers. He is no different. Did he miss time after all these concussions?

For the Allen comparison, Allen played for Idaho State, McClellin for Boise State. Both players had low bench press reps but great 40 times at the combine. Both have a high motor and great technique. I think it is a valid comparison. The size thing actually works in McClellin's favor, Allen is thinner with only 6 more lbs and taller, but McClellin is just as fast and stronger.

Mike Lombardi even called the pick in his final mock draft: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/mock-drafts/...lombardi/130112

Kiper had McClellin as the 26th best player overall, just sayin.

If the Bears don't take him, he goes to NE or GB anyway. Could the Bears have traded down a few slots to get him? Maybe, but based on the Bears draft board, he was their pick.

I didn't say anything about a "hybrid defense" just hybrid players. And just because they haven't, doesn't mean they won't. Like I pointed out before, the Giants have tinkered with the idea of faster players on the front line and they have been pretty successful.

What if they did try Peppers out at standing up, just to see how much quicker he could be? It's not past the point of probable.

And just for the record, if he ends up doing well and getting 10 sacks as a situational pass-rusher, it's still not a smart pick. It's Mark Anderson 2.0.

To be fair to Mark, he did just sign a 4 year contract for $7mil/yr. I imagine he wouldn't agree with using his name as a pejorative. I think it's well-accepted that he still doesn't play the run though.

Ummmm....SMC hasn't been a pro yet so of course Allen has more professional sacks.

The Allen comparisons are more than valid. Especially the comparisons of their combine numbers.

I'm jumping in late here, but why is everyone acting like this is a college LB that was projected to LB in the NFL, that we are converting to DE? You realize he played DE in college, right? The reason he's being considered as a 3-4 LB is because 1) he's fast, 2) he's fluid, and 3) he showed an ability to drop back into coverage while he was in college. Those are all qualities I don't mind having in a DE. Now, maybe he works out and maybe he doesn't, but a projection to OLB in a 3-4 doesn't mean that much to me here when he played DE in college, especially if he's not undersized (he's comparable to Mercilus and Ingram).

This is pick surprised the heck out of me. However I seen a couple of his games and He can rush the passer. I believe Emery went by production over a longer period of time then one year. Merciless was one year wonder and lighter in the ass then Shea, Jones had injury issues and only played 7 games. this kid has been dominating since his sophomore year. I don't see him as a Bauzin type at all. More like Allen or Little.

Leonard Little

Height: 6-3 Weight: 267

Dwight Freeney #93 DE

Height: 6-1 Weight: 268

Jared Allen #69 DE

Height: 6-6 Weight: 266

I like going with production over a couple of years rather than a 1 year wonder but what i do not like is that production being against the teams that played Boise State. Boise State is all fine and dandy but they do not play against the best of the best every week. They play in a very week conference. I have not watched a lot of the Boise State games, does anyone know how he performed in the Bowl Games against the better teams???

Things that i like about this kid:

Relentless

High Motor

4.6 forty

Lets face it, speed kills and if this guys is as quick and as fast as Dwight Freeney then Emery may have something here.

I have not watched a lot of the Boise State games, does anyone know how he performed in the Bowl Games against the better teams???

In the last two bowl games, he had a sack in each game. They also started the last two seasons vs ranked opponents (Virginia Tech and Georgia) and he had 2.5 sacks per game in those two contests.

You're right; he wasn't a reach. He just wasn't a great fit in many peoples' opinion. The comparisons to Allen and Matthews are interesting, but both of those guys have proven themselves to be very abnormal high motor guys. The combine is not the NFL field, and both Allen and Matthews have shown that it takes tranquilizers for them to stop chasing the ball.