OT: Explain your username and how you became a Bears fan

Bears4Ever_34

Something different. Curious as to how some here came up with their usernames. Some are obvious (like mine) and others not so obvious. For me, the Bears4Ever came from a site I used to visit back in the day called "Bulls4Ever" which has since been transformed into RealGM. The 34 came from Walter Payton, whom I was named after (Payton is my first name). I debated using Sweetness34 but stuck with Bears4Ever.

I've been a Bears and Bulls fan since I was about 8 or so, which was around the time I started sitting down and actually remembering games that I had watched with my dad. Unfortunately I grew up during the dog days of Bears football and Bulls basketball. Right around the time Jordan left and the Bulls began the worst 6 year stint in the history of American sports. The Bears weren't much better as I can recall. The Cade McNowns of the world and the Shane Matthews.. It was probably the most inopportune time to become interested in Chicago sports but somehow I kept watching, and things eventually turned around for both clubs.

Anyone have a story of their own that they would like to share?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something different. Curious as to how some here came up with their usernames. Some are obvious (like mine) and others not so obvious. For me, the Bears4Ever came from a site I used to visit back in the day called "Bulls4Ever" which has since been transformed into RealGM. The 34 came from Walter Payton, whom I was named after (Payton is my first name). I debated using Sweetness34 but stuck with Bears4Ever.

I've been a Bears and Bulls fan since I was about 8 or so, which was around the time I started sitting down and actually remembering games that I had watched with my dad. Unfortunately I grew up during the dog days of Bears football and Bulls basketball. Right around the time Jordan left and the Bulls began the worst 6 year stint in the history of American sports. The Bears weren't much better as I can recall. The Cade McNowns of the world and the Shane Matthews.. It was probably the most inopportune time to become interested in Chicago sports but somehow I kept watching, and things eventually turned around for both clubs.

Became a Bears fan i 1962. Grew up in southern Indiana and the Bears were the closest team at that time. My username is because I now live in Chile.

"Jock" is an abbreviation of my last name "Jockisch." Jockisch is pronounced "Joke-ish" although it looks like "Jock-itch" and the correct German pronunciation is "Yoke-ish."

Growing up in Central IL near Peoria, in terms of baseball, you have to declare youself as a Cardinal or Cub fan. But everybody is a Bear fan. I really fell in love at age 12 when they won the Super Bowl. This love ratcheted up in the '90's for several years as a dated a girl from Palos Hills whose family had season tickets, so I went to at least two games a year.

username: madlithuanian, because I'm a crazy mad Bears fan and am of Lithuanian heritage (like Dick Butkus)

I was born in 1970 and my dad set me on the right track following Payton when I was about 7 as I started expressing interest in football. My family is from the Marquette Park area originally, but moved to California early on. I still have family and friends in Chicago and try to visit often. I love the city and all the sports teams. Including both baseball clubs. Being of Lithuanian background, my dad wasn't a baseball fan...just basketball and football. So it was only later in my life that I started watching and enjoying football. All while in Southern California. And because it was the 80's, it was Harry and the Cubs that kind of got to me first due to WGN on national cable. So I tend to be a stronger supporter of the Cubs, but I was thrilled when the White Sox won it all. I don't fit the normal mode in that area, but aren't we all just Bears, Bulls, and Blackhawk fans?

:dabears

Born at Great Lakes Naval Hospital. (Went back 17 1/2 years later for boot camp). Family all over the Mid West (Nebraska, Illinois and Indiana). In Illinois my family still is around Chicago, Woodstock, Mount Vernon and De Kalb. I've been in Alaska since 1977 (hence the handle). Loved the Bears as long as I can remember. White Sox in baseball (mostly because of the "Big Hurt" and Ozzie). Can remember a time once when I was younger that my Grandpa was talking about taking us to see the Bulls play because "there was this new kid named Michael something that is supposed to be pretty good". Man was he right.

I am a lifelong Chicagoan(currently living in the Burbs) born in 1959 in Cook County Hospital. I can first remember the Bears in the 66 season with Butkus ,Sayers and Dick Gordon in their 2nd years in the league. I had two T-shirts as a kid back then that my mother wouls have to pry off of me one had the number 5 on it and since my whole family was totally Bears,they wouldn't call me Paul Horning for obvious reasons so it was Falcons RB Harmon Wages. I have no idea how good he was but he was a NFL RB and thats all that mattered. The other numbered shirt that I would sleep in was #40,I'm sure I don't have to explain.

As for my monicker lemonej, the first part is from the shape of my head accordding to my 16 inch softball teammates. One of my longtime friends was pissed because me and another of my teammates were winning constantly during cards in a game called Bid Whist that is pretty popular amongst African Americans so he yelled out that "we are getting our a** kicked by a Lemonhead and a Boston Baked Bean"The reference was intended to be an insult to me because of the shape of my head and my lighter complexion as an African American but I embraced it and actually had the balls to have the name put on the back of my team jersey with the numbers 00. Those from the other board remember me as lemonej00. The ej part of my user name is because my name is Eric Jacobs.

This is a nice thread!!!!

Grew up in Chicago area west suburbs. Became fan as I was growing up and watching Walter Payton run guys over. That and the Bears, even if they lost, would play physical D and I liked that. I live in Arizona now and the 54 obviously represents Urlacher and the Bears great tradition of linebackers...as I said I love good defense in football. I loved Walter because he played RB like a defender and never shied away from hitting his tackler first.

Grew up in the small town of Ashkum 70 miles south of Chicago off of I-57. Been a Bears fan for life, especially after 1985 as I remember being in 5th grade getting to watch the superbowl shuffle on one of those cart tv's with a vcr. I try to go to one away game each year along with one or two home games. It amazes me how many Bears fans travel and tailgate on the road games.

Was born in 87 and my pops had the super bowl shuffle on VHS and I loved it ever since I started watching tv, so I did indeed grow up a die hard bears fan because of that tape.... As far as my name goes..around the time I made this account I was huge into indy wrestling, and there was a tag team (stable if you include ace steel) called the second city saints that featured Colt Cabana and the current WWE champ CM Punk, back when he was wrestling in the northwest indiana/chicago area once or twice a week

Imagine that tonight as you get ready for bed you are watching the late night television and there is a special bulletin from the Chicago Sports department. They have a reporter at Soldier Field and the Bears are packing up everything they have and are moving to Los Angeles to relocate, without ever making it known to the public. Moving Vans, one after another, leaving for LA.

Sounds bizarre I know, and now a days it would never happen, but it did back in 1984 when the Baltimore Colts owner Robert Irsay gave the fans the finger and left them without a team to relocate in Indy. Like most Colts fans, we also relocated, to other teams. In my case I had moved to Chicago in 1973 when I married (my wife lived near the Great Lakes Naval Base) and became a passive fan of the Bears since my In-Laws were big Bear Fans. Once the Colts left Baltimore, I left the Colts and became a dedicated Bears fan.

As for my username, long story short. My wife and I adopted 5 special needs kids. One, a boy named Jeremy, was trying to create a username to register for a game site on the net, we are talking early stages of the internet. Every name he used was taken already. He was getting really upset and asked for help. I had just purchased a foreign film collection and the Tapes were on the bookshelf next to the computer. One was called Pixote. I suggested this to Jeremy but when I explained what the movie was about he did not like the suggestion and finally figured one out on his own.

I had not used the internet much up until then. When I began using it heavily and was trying to figure a username that had not already been used to register for a site, I remembered what had happened with Jeremy and tried entering Pixote, worked like a charm, and have used it as my internet handle ever since.

I am a lifelong Chicagoan(currently living in the Burbs) born in 1959 in Cook County Hospital. I can first remember the Bears in the 66 season with Butkus ,Sayers and Dick Gordon in their 2nd years in the league. I had two T-shirts as a kid back then that my mother wouls have to pry off of me one had the number 5 on it and since my whole family was totally Bears,they wouldn't call me Paul Horning for obvious reasons so it was Falcons RB Harmon Wages. I have no idea how good he was but he was a NFL RB and thats all that mattered. The other numbered shirt that I would sleep in was #40,I'm sure I don't have to explain.

As for my monicker lemonej, the first part is from the shape of my head accordding to my 16 inch softball teammates. One of my longtime friends was pissed because me and another of my teammates were winning constantly during cards in a game called Bid Whist that is pretty popular amongst African Americans so he yelled out that "we are getting our a** kicked by a Lemonhead and a Boston Baked Bean"The reference was intended to be an insult to me because of the shape of my head and my lighter complexion as an African American but I embraced it and actually had the balls to have the name put on the back of my team jersey with the numbers 00. Those from the other board remember me as lemonej00. The ej part of my user name is because my name is Eric Jacobs.

This is a nice thread!!!!

:lol: good stuff

Guest TerraTor
Terrator was the first pair of Nike Acg 's i ever had... always loved the name..

Bears fan since August 1980.... actually from northern Pennsylvania

Hey i just hit 2000!!!!!!!!!!!

Became a fan as a kid when the Bears won the Super Bowl. Walter Payton was my favorite player, who I identified with because I was a good runner (though I couldn't catch or throw, while of course Walter could do everything).

I picked my handle well before these Bears messageboards. When spoken, selection7 sounds a little like Smashing Pumpkins, my favorite band from the '90s, which was just a result of my stream of conciousness brainstorming for a username (and it's just coincidence that the Bears and the Pumpkins are Chicago-based...I'm not from anywhere near Chicago). It also wasn't often already in use around the internet back then and it was vague, so it didn't peg me as any certain thing.

I've been on these forums since it was bearstalk.com, not talkbears.com, but apparently these forums have been around since before that in another form too?

My name is fairly obvious. Born in 1974 at Northwest Hospital on Addison and Central before it became Resurrection or whatever it is now. Regardless of what it is, when I drive the kids past it, I make them give a moment of silence. I became a Bears fan since I could speak because the very first song I learned as a little tyke was Bear Down Chicago Bears. My Dad used to have season tickets in the late 70s and early 80s. Active duty Air Force for 18+ years stationed in Turkey for the last 3. Actually broke my TV in my bedroom when Donald Igwebeke kicked a fiel goal to beat us!!! Bulls, Hawks, Sox and Bears fan to the death!!!

Was watching month old college game on AFN TV in Germany in 1973(dad was in service for 31 years)when I was 11 years old. The game was Jackson State vs I forgot. I saw Walter play and was amazed. I said to myself whoever picks Walter will be my favorite team. Never been to Chicago. I named my son's middle name Payton, his first name is Marcos, last name starts with a V. M.P.V. most player valuable.

I've been on these forums since it was bearstalk.com, not talkbears.com, but apparently these forums have been around since before that in another form too?

Good question about the history. Could somebody fill this in?

I joined bearstalk.com in the March of 2004. At the time I wanted to know if we were going to sign John Tait. Since I wanted more information I googled "chicago bears chat" or something like that. Bearstalk.com came up right away. On a side note, would that method work today? This seems to be sort of an exclusive club with few new members. We don't have many random people finding this site like I did. Am I wrong about that?

I still fell like a newbie compared to those who were here long before me. I remember hearing there was a site before bearstalk.com. I think it was called the same, it just had a different format.