What are your offensive expectations?

jason

The Bears can now trot out the following:

QB: Cutler

RBs: Forte, Bush

WRs: Marshall, Bennett, Jeffery, Hester, Knox(?)

TEs: Davis, Rodriguez

There appear to be no excuses left over this year. What are your expectations for the offense?

Top half of the league?

Top ten of the league?

What I do know is this: 2012 is the year we finally get to settle the age-old debate on TalkBears about whether amassing enough skill-position players can overcome a weak OL. Unless Webb has an epiphany, Louis turns better than average, Garza finds the fountain of youth, and the two high draft picks stay healthy, I think this will be yet another year where the Bears have a below-average offense, but hang around near the middle of the pack because an opportunistic defense and an stellar special teams.

There appear to be no excuses left over this year. What are your expectations for the offense?

Top half of the league?

Top ten of the league?

What I do know is this: 2012 is the year we finally get to settle the age-old debate on TalkBears about whether amassing enough skill-position players can overcome a weak OL. Unless Webb has an epiphany, Louis turns better than average, Garza finds the fountain of youth, and the two high draft picks stay healthy, I think this will be yet another year where the Bears have a below-average offense, but hang around near the middle of the pack because an opportunistic defense and an stellar special teams.

I expect us to be a top ten offense... for years people could play eight and sometimes nine in the box because they ,didn't respect our passing game or receivers... now they have to and. I almost hope they don't because cutler finally has the type of receivers he likes the ones who attack the ball in the air... bennett attacks it too but he is more of a slot type of guy I think cutler will have the best year he has had yet for his career and forte should really benefit from having less people spying him...

They were 6th in the league last year in PPG with Cutler. I see no reason why we can't become a top 5, top 3 offense next season with all the weapons we are now getting. Tough to say until you figure out what kind of offense Mike Tice will run. There will be no more 7 step drops, so Web is safe in that regard, as is the rest of the offensive line. They should improve just off of that alone. They were about middle of the pack last year in terms of allowing sacks (with Cutler) and again, I'm basing everything off of when Cutler was healthy because that's all that matters. I think if the line can stay within that 30 sack barrier this season, they should be fine.

The additions to Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery is going to help immensely in the passing game. Cutler has already established a chemistry with Marshall so you can expect another 1000 yard season from him, and anything Jeffery is able to give us is an added bonus. As a rookie, I expect to see the usual struggles every rookie WR goes through in year 1. However, he's going to have a perfect opportunity to have those flaws masqueraded by the guys around him, being focal points. The early prognosis I have for him is around 55-65 catches, 600-800 yards 4-5 touchdowns.

The offense as a group should definitely improve after all they have added through free agency and the draft. Now having Michael Bush is going to give this unit a legit #2 RB capable of being a starter. Evan Rodriguez is an interesting piece. I think he'll see spot time as a hybrid TE/FB and be sort of a light version of Aaron Hernandez. I imagine the Bears will use a lot of Ace package (2 WR, 2 TE) sets, where they'll create mismatches for this kid to exploit. His 4.5 speed will be beneficial when you put him up against LB's and safeties. Could this also be the year Kellen Davis breaks out? He's had a lot of built in excuses over the years, being a young player behind Greg Olsen and Dez Clark, and then playing in a Mike Martz offense that completely ignores pass catching TE's all together.

I can't wait till the first preseason game when we finally get to see what this team is going to be capable of, offensively. They'll be pretty much the same on defense, only adding McClellin. Which btw, I hate the fact that he's #99. That's not a number for a DE, and it'll make him look slow. haha. Come on son! You gotta pick a better number than that...

Lets get this season underway! Bourbonnais is just around the corner.

I believe Berrian was the last WR to lead the team in receptions in 2007 and Booker was the last 1,000 receiver in 2002. Marshall is going to do both of those this year. You can't underestimate how big that acquisition was. Not only did the Bears get a true #1, they got a WR that has dominated with Cutler as the QB in the past. That familiarity is huge. Then add someone like Jeffery and the Bears have went from pee-shooters on the outside to bazookas.

I figure they will be in the top 7 in yards and points, which is really going to help out the defense as well.

They were 6th in the league last year in PPG with Cutler. I see no reason why we can't become a top 5, top 3 offense next season with all the weapons we are now getting. Tough to say until you figure out what kind of offense Mike Tice will run. There will be no more 7 step drops, so Web is safe in that regard, as is the rest of the offensive line. They should improve just off of that alone. They were about middle of the pack last year in terms of allowing sacks (with Cutler) and again, I'm basing everything off of when Cutler was healthy because that's all that matters. I think if the line can stay within that 30 sack barrier this season, they should be fine.

The additions to Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery is going to help immensely in the passing game. Cutler has already established a chemistry with Marshall so you can expect another 1000 yard season from him, and anything Jeffery is able to give us is an added bonus. As a rookie, I expect to see the usual struggles every rookie WR goes through in year 1. However, he's going to have a perfect opportunity to have those flaws masqueraded by the guys around him, being focal points. The early prognosis I have for him is around 55-65 catches, 600-800 yards 4-5 touchdowns.

The offense as a group should definitely improve after all they have added through free agency and the draft. Now having Michael Bush is going to give this unit a legit #2 RB capable of being a starter. Evan Rodriguez is an interesting piece. I think he'll see spot time as a hybrid TE/FB and be sort of a light version of Aaron Hernandez. I imagine the Bears will use a lot of Ace package (2 WR, 2 TE) sets, where they'll create mismatches for this kid to exploit. His 4.5 speed will be beneficial when you put him up against LB's and safeties. Could this also be the year Kellen Davis breaks out? He's had a lot of built in excuses over the years, being a young player behind Greg Olsen and Dez Clark, and then playing in a Mike Martz offense that completely ignores pass catching TE's all together.

I can't wait till the first preseason game when we finally get to see what this team is going to be capable of, offensively. They'll be pretty much the same on defense, only adding McClellin. Which btw, I hate the fact that he's #99. That's not a number for a DE, and it'll make him look slow. haha. Come on son! You gotta pick a better number than that...

Im a glass half full guy, but top 3 is living in fatasyland. NO will have some trouble but GB,NE,Phil,Det, Giants aint going away. I would say top 10 would be great,but I fear there is something else in your koolaid.

Until Cutler and Forte were both injured the Bears were on a five game winning streak (7-3?). And they have added better players (Marshall and Bush) so I'm not sure how they couldn't be better. Top 10? Perhaps. At least top 16.

I don't really care about being in the top 10 on offense or defense. What I do care about is the team actually trying to win games by not just scoring a few points and keeping them from scoring while holding onto the lead. What I care about is a true grasp and usage of the offense and all the weapons it now has to take control of games and but them out of reach. If we use Hester in the right packages, throw in the red zone to the big targets we now have (Marshall,Davis,Jeffrey) and use our two backs (Forte & Bush) then the sky is the limit for this team.

Offense Top 10 ( fingers crossed all stay healthy)

With additions they made in FA, Trade and Draft , there is no way we should not see anything but a major improvement. We have the potential to have 2 1000 yard rushers or 2 1000 yard receivers. Tice should have a field day calling plays from the sideline.

I don't really care about being in the top 10 on offense or defense. What I do care about is the team actually trying to win games by not just scoring a few points and keeping them from scoring while holding onto the lead. What I care about is a true grasp and usage of the offense and all the weapons it now has to take control of games and but them out of reach. If we use Hester in the right packages, throw in the red zone to the big targets we now have (Marshall,Davis,Jeffrey) and use our two backs (Forte & Bush) then the sky is the limit for this team.

As long as Lovie is around, that philosophy will not change. The Bears get a 14 point lead at any point in the game? Expect them to change game-play.

As long as Lovie is around, that philosophy will not change. The Bears get a 14 point lead at any point in the game? Expect them to change game-play.

Sadly, it's Lovie's philosophy. So frustrating to follow a game and keep screaming to go for the throat instead of letting teams claw back into the game.

If the line can live up to the expectations and we get what we hope from Marshall and Jeffrey...I think we will have an amazing year on offense. Think about it, Forte played his ass off before he got hurt. Hopefully, it wasn't because of a contract year...but if it was, it's a contract year again. Bush will contribute big time also. I am excited about the offensive side of the ball for the first time in a long time!!!

Sadly, it's Lovie's philosophy. So frustrating to follow a game and keep screaming to go for the throat instead of letting teams claw back into the game.

Some would say that putting the ball on the ground, if you can convert 3rd and medium regularly, is the definition of going for the throat, because you're going to destroy the other team's defensive front.

Some would say that putting the ball on the ground, if you can convert 3rd and medium regularly, is the definition of going for the throat, because you're going to destroy the other team's defensive front.

And it kills the clock.

I highlighted the most important word. It's like taking a dump; everything is fine as long as it's regular. The Bears were one of the worst teams in negative rushes last year, and if there were a "RB met in the backfield but managed to get 1 yard after absorbing/avoiding the hit and falling forward"-statistic, I'm quite sure they'd be in the bottom of that one.

I'm not thinking about the O, I'm talking about the D. They get less agressive, and this when they aren't a dictate-to-you D to begin with. Lovie has always believed that if you give an opponent enough rope. . . . Buddy Ryan was diametrically opposed to that.

Until Cutler and Forte were both injured the Bears were on a five game winning streak (7-3?). And they have added better players (Marshall and Bush) so I'm not sure how they couldn't be better. Top 10? Perhaps. At least top 16.

The first line is part of the reason some of us were screaming for offensive line help. The poor line play leads to more unnecessary opportunities for injuries.

I predict a very sporadic year offensively. With the offensive weapons as a whole that the Bears have now, they will have games that they will blow teams away. Other games, they will get decimated when a teams show up and play to their potential with an average or greater pass rush. Then there will be some average games when Cutler plays above how he should against great d's and below how he should against average ones.

Points per game = top 10 (due to defensive take aways and special teams giving good starting position)

Yards per game = middle of the pack, 16th give or take

3rd down= bottom of the pack, mid-high 20's

3rd and short = bottom 5

Red Zone TD's = bottom of the pack, mid high 20's

Red Zone scoring% = top 5, lot of field goals

The first line is part of the reason some of us were screaming for offensive line help. The poor line play leads to more unnecessary opportunities for injuries.

I predict a very sporadic year offensively. With the offensive weapons as a whole that the Bears have now, they will have games that they will blow teams away. Other games, they will get decimated when a teams show up and play to their potential with an average or greater pass rush. Then there will be some average games when Cutler plays above how he should against great d's and below how he should against average ones.

Points per game = top 10 (due to defensive take aways and special teams giving good starting position)

Yards per game = middle of the pack, 16th give or take

3rd down= bottom of the pack, mid-high 20's

3rd and short = bottom 5

Red Zone TD's = bottom of the pack, mid high 20's

Red Zone scoring% = top 5, lot of field goals

We added two Red Zone threats in Marshall and Jeffery, so I doubt we will be that bad in Red Zone TD's. There are some bad teams out there.

My expectation. SB victory. Stat-wise I can care less. But I feel there is more than enough firepower on the offense that can win a Super Bowl now and keep us in any game with any opponent. That's all that really matters in the big picture. We are a big boy offense now.

Bear the F down.

:dabears

Top half of the league?

Top ten of the league?

Dan Hampton?

Oops, I meant to say we should be top 3-5 in ppg as an offense, not in totality. Although it's still a possibility. We were 6th in the league scoring wise with Cutler, I see no reason why we shouldn't be better next year given all the additions.

------------------------------------------------

Dan Hampton?

It just looks weird, is all I'm saying. Especially on a smaller guy. There are certain numbers that just don't look right on people. #99 is sort of rare in itself. Usually if someone wears that number it's a humongous person, like a defensive tackle.

My expectation. SB victory. Stat-wise I can care less. But I feel there is more than enough firepower on the offense that can win a Super Bowl now and keep us in any game with any opponent. That's all that really matters in the big picture. We are a big boy offense now.

Bear the F down.

:dabears

That's what I'm talking about!!!

• 10 months later...

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...Check out these thoughts from before last season. Aren't we the optimistic bunch?

Turns out having a bunch of talented weapons doesn't matter as long as the OL sucks. Who'da thunk?

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...Check out these thoughts from before last season. Aren't we the optimistic bunch?

Turns out having a bunch of talented weapons doesn't matter as long as the OL sucks. Who'da thunk?

I think the obvious answer is that it had more to do with the idiot coordinator we had running the show than anything else. The offensive line was better than it was the previous year yet we were a worse offense. Tice had no clue what he was doing out there. I said it at the end of the year. I don't know if there has ever been a offensive coordinator in recent memory do less with the talent he had at his disposal. It was a failure of epic proportions.