Deal is done!!!!

Wesson44

Anyone know the cap implications?

Glad to have him set in the fold. I was prepared to go one without him, but I'm really glad we don't have to. I like him.

Anyone know who is next on trying to get a Long Term deal with? Cutty? Url? Overall, I feel this bodes well for the Emery regime.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Forte has signed a 4 year deal making 8.8 million per year! :cheers

Anyone out there that could show the comparison of Fortes deal to the other most recent RB signees or re-signees? And what was his original offers the last year? I'm just curious.

The team’s original offer to Forte before last season included around $15 million guaranteed. Forte initially sought a five-year, $40 million deal with $20 million guaranteed. The Sun-Times reports that $18 is guaranteed in this new 4 year, $32 million deal.

The Houston Texans Adrian Foster’s new five-year deal is worth $43.5 million with $20.75 million guaranteed.

The Seattle Seahawks Marshawn Lynch signed a four-year, $31 million contract with $18 million guaranteed.

The Eagles's LeSean McCoy signed a five-year, $45 million contract, which goes through the 2017 season, with $20.765 guaranteed

Nicely done Emery, we can go into training camp without that drama hanging over the team. So far pretty pleased with Emery's first off-season. Now we just need to see what happens with the O-Line and whether this group can step up and keep Jay upright. Accomplish that and our offense will be explosive. Forte/Bush/Bell backfield Marshall, upgraded WR corp, and a solid backup QB so should Jay go down for a game or two it's not an oh crap situation. A vastly upgraded offense I think goes a long way to helping out an aging D and puts less pressure on them to keep us in games. Could be a fun season gents.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Forte has signed a 4 year deal making 8.8 million per year! :cheers

I don't know where you got $8.8m as everyone else is reporting $8, but this is a good deal. I'm surprised Emery got him for 4 years. I figured Forte wanted the 5th year pretty badly.

Forte's deal is significantly below Adrian Foster and Sean McCoy's deal, and pretty much in line with Marshawn Lynch's deal.

The Bears ended up with only a 7% increase on salary from their original offer, and a 20% increase on guaranteed money, keeping the 4 year deal they wanted. The deal represents less than he would have gotten had they franchised him all four years.

To contrast, Forte was asking for a 33% increase in salary from the Bears' original offer, and a 33% increase in guaranteed money too. Mostly this was due to a 5 year deal instead of a 4 year deal.

It seems like they really weren't that far apart, except for the length of the deal.

Emery did well. Forte was treated fairly, and we don't need to be on the line for his contract after 4 years.

Now to the real issue with this team that no one is talking about - do we have ANYTHING at DT?

Anyone else notice the the massive amount of stories out there about how the Bears are fools for signing Forte to an extension? All I saw before today was pay the man, now they are considered idiots for doing so.

The deal represents less than he would have gotten had they franchised him all four years.

Except with the new CBA a player can only be franchised 3 times.

Anyone else notice the the massive amount of stories out there about how the Bears are fools for signing Forte to an extension? All I saw before today was pay the man, now they are considered idiots for doing so.

Except with the new CBA a player can only be franchised 3 times.

Yeah, I saw that. I think it was Rosenbloom who said they shouldn't have signed him for more than 7.7 mil a year. Really? 7.7 is ok, but 8 isn't? Bears got Forte for almost the same price as Lynch and I think Forte is a much better player. Now had they paid $40mil over 5yrs like Ray Rice got, then I could see some complaining.

I like this signing a lot.

Yeah, I saw that. I think it was Rosenbloom who said they shouldn't have signed him for more than 7.7 mil a year. Really? 7.7 is ok, but 8 isn't? Bears got Forte for almost the same price as Lynch and I think Forte is a much better player. Now had they paid $40mil over 5yrs like Ray Rice got, then I could see some complaining.

Not to mention we had him for all those years for nothing!

Good for him and Da Bears!!!

Forte settled for less years than he wanted and less upfront money than he wanted. Bears gave more money upfront than they wanted and higher annual salaries so they ended up in the middle. I think the deal was little bit high but I'm glad it is done and now our biggest distraction will be deciding who plays LT. Even though I think we overpaid a bit I certainly don't agree with Rosenbloom that this is a bad deal for the team.

I apologize if this was mentioned in an article I may have missed....

Where does this rank him among highest paid RBs? I believe it would be outside of the top 5 but inside of the top 10.

Nice work.

Suntimes has a list of the top RB contracts:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/be...matt-forte.html

They have Forte's contract listed as #8 of 9.

More details on the deal and the more I read the more I like it. This is about right where I hoped the deal would fall. Guaranteed money matches the two years of franchise tags and if he's still playing well Forte has two more years of security beyond that. Win win IMO. Now we have a solid 1-2 punch at RB for the next couple years.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0,5130163.story

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The base value of Forte’s contract is $28.1 million and it maxes out at $31.5 million, according to a source with knowledge of the deal. The contract guarantees $17.1 million – essentially what the Bears would have had to pay Forte if they paid him the franchise tag number of $7.742 million this season and tagged him again in 2013 at an increase of 120 percent, per the NFL's collective bargaining agreement.

According to the source, the contract will be worth $9.8 million in 2012. Forte stands to earn $6.3 million in 2013 bringing the value of the first two years to $16.1 million. Had the Bears paid Forte the franchise tag in 2012 and tagged him again in 2013, they would have paid him $17.03 million. Forte will earn $6.6 million in 2014 bringing the three-year total for the deal to $22.7 million. He stands to earn $7.8 million in 2015, the final year of the contract bringing him to $30.5 million over four years. There is another $1 million he can earn in incentives/escalators to bring it to the maximum value of $31.5 million.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm glad you brought up Rosenbloom. I think he's way off base. His argument is that it's easy to find good ones cheap. The thing is, we've actually paid for good back-up running backs and they stunk. Chester Taylor, Marion Barber, Kevin Jones. There was a distinct and noticeable difference between Forte and these guys. Hell, if we'd had Forte for the Denver game, we make the playoffs IMO.

There for a while New England had luck with retreads, but they've been drafting guys early lately and they still suck.

Other teams like Washington and Green Bay keep swinging and missing.

More importantly this deal helps our cap situation. I just hope he stays healthy and hungry.

Well said...

I'm glad you brought up Rosenbloom. I think he's way off base. His argument is that it's easy to find good ones cheap. The thing is, we've actually paid for good back-up running backs and they stunk. Chester Taylor, Marion Barber, Kevin Jones. There was a distinct and noticeable difference between Forte and these guys. Hell, if we'd had Forte for the Denver game, we make the playoffs IMO.

There for a while New England had luck with retreads, but they've been drafting guys early lately and they still suck.

More importantly this deal helps our cap situation. I just hope he stays healthy and hungry.

That makes sense, but I think the league is shifting away from the need for an elite RB so is it money well spent? I think it is a good deal because I like Forte and he is a great player, but I don't think he is necessarily worth 2.5x Bush. Just look at the last 5 years at the Super Bowl teams and their lead RB's:

NYG Bradshaw 659

NE Green-Ellis 667

GB Jackson 703

PIT Mendenhall 1273

NO Thomas 793

IND Addai 828

PIT Parker 791

ARZ James 514

NYG Jacobs 1009

NE Maroney 835

Only Mendenhall in 2010 had an elite year, and only 2 out of 10 had over 1,000 yards. 8 lead RB's had 835 yards or less and their teams were in the SB. The last 4 SB winners did not have a leading rusher with more than 800 yards. That is crazy.

Watch... in 2 years, he'll still be as productive, and we'll get the Briggs-esque BS again. "I know I signed a deal, but look, I'm still good. I want more!" :banghead

Which is why I hate the way the contracts are negotiated from the players' side.

They want long term contracts AND all the money up front. The team obliges them because there is a give-and-take, and the team will get the benefit of the contract in the later years. But when those later years show up, and the pay is less, the player acts like he's been paid that much the entire time and completely forgets about the massive amount of front-loading done.